U of Waterloo 2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
guys what kind of responses were u expecting?? they are not supposed to tell you how well u did during the interview and i think a simple nodding head is more than adequate as a response to your answer
I was part of 8 students who went at last on may 2nd at 11am. I was expecting a simple nodding head but my intervieweres seemed pretty tired, there was no response at all...:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I was part of 8 students who went at last on may 2nd at 11am. I was expecting a simple nodding head but my intervieweres seemed pretty tired, there was no response at all...:scared:
maybe they were too overwhelmed by your sheer number of awards:thumbup:

it's weird to hear that interviewers were not that enthuse. From what I've heard from last years, they always said that interviewers were supper nice, so don't know what happened this year :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
I have just joined a few minutes ago.
My interviewers were very friendly. One of them shook my hand and introduced himself to me just as soon as I entered the room. Then the others started shaking my hands too.
They were very responsive during my 10 minutes introductions. They asked me 3 questions after.
They were still responsive (I could tell by their eyes although they did not say anything) during the structured portion of the interview.
It was a really great experience.
Good luck to everyone else!

Do you know they only interviewed 194 students this year, I don't know if they are going to take 120 students this year :xf: or open the admissions again in fall as last year. :boom:

Do you know they only interviewed 194 students this year, I don't know if they are going to take 120 students this year :xf: or open the admissions again in fall as last year. :boom:

i don't think there's any possibility of that happening. They still have 74 people to reject and going over application profiles are gonna be too much hassle for them.

So...are they only gonna consider the interview portion from this point or everything altogether?

So...are they only gonna consider the interview portion from this point or everything altogether?
I asked the same question to one of the 1st year pharmacy student during the interview and he said it is only the interview portion and RC/WR from this point. The admissions committee don't look at anything else.

so for last year. they reopen the admission in Sep for this year Jan semester ? like two admission session ? first time i knew that.

I asked the same question to one of the 1st year pharmacy student during the interview and he said it is only the interview portion and RC/WR from this point. The admissions committee don't look at anything else.
but they were still waiting for us to send the final transcript. I guess, there might be percentage for each section. like AP, interview. RC/WT. and they combine them together give the final decision ? i dont know...

but they were still waiting for us to send the final transcript. I guess, there might be percentage for each section. like AP, interview. RC/WT. and they combine them together give the final decision ? i dont know...

I agree! I'm pretty sure they're going to at least look at our marks again. Why else would they tell us to send in our final transcripts?

June 16 seems so far away =(

Members don't see this ad :)
just want it to be july already.... when we will know where we're going and what we're doing

waiting is horrible!

good luck to everyone. it seems like forever ago when we started these threads...

just want it to be july already.... when we will know where we're going and what we're doing

waiting is horrible!

good luck to everyone. it seems like forever ago when we started these threads...

i agree! but at the same time hoping is better than a potential rejection.

:thumbup:

waiting is horrible!

When we will know = June 16, 2010:D
Where we are going = UW or UIC:)
What we are doing = Studying Pharm:laugh:
Waiting is not that horrible when you are busy enough.

I hope that helps

Last edited:
Although I keep busy by working part time and taking the rest of my pre-rews for wayne.. I am still thinking about UofT and waterloo decisions... constantly...

just while i'm doing stuff

gah!

in a way it's a bit exciting. The odds are not that frightening.. like take medicine for example. Their interviews range from 30-70% worth of the final decision makeup. Theirs odds are about 12% of getting accepted whereas we have at least 50% chance after interview since the class size is decent relative to the applicant pool. Then again... their agony will be over tomorrow....

Best of luck to everyone.. including those interviewing this week:luck:

I'm dreaddding my Waterloo response. I know I fcked up that writing test.

I'm pretty confident for U of T, but I know when I get rejected from waterloo I'll be hopeless for 2 weeks...

Does anyone have an idea what the rate of acceptance is anyway?

Logic sort of tells me most people who were interviewed should get in. I saw someone say only 195 people were interviewed, yet only 120 spots. You have to figure that of the 120 that will be accepted, at least a third probably applied to U of T, many of which will go to U of T. Probably another 10-20 are using pharmacy as a backup. Given that the school didn't even fill the class last year on initial applicants, it sort of makes you wonder.

I also get the idea that the school has sort of an 'elitist' mindset, which is somewhat unwarranted given the depth of the applicant pool. And by that I mean that maybe the extent that they wait-list people might be limited; eg. they will do what they did last year.

Any thoughts?

Ken Potvin told me a long time ago that with the waiting list, it usually comes up to about 70%

At this point, people have been saying that the admission committee will only look at our interview portion to decide who gets in. But if I recall correctly, each of my interviewers only had a piece of paper and now I think about it, it's almost impossible to sort out 194 people just based on the writing on those papers. In my opinion, they are mostly likely looking at all the application stuffs we have submitted and ranking each student with some kind of a point system.

Last edited:
im sure they look at all the components when it comes to ranking applicants. As someone said earlier if the interviewers had three boxes on their sheets.. above average, average, and below average. I dont think that's enough to eliminate round 40% of the interviewed applicants.. unless they are the ones who consistently scored below average

I may be wrong, as I am not part of the admissions committee, but it would make sense that final grades would be an important factor in admissions as they request final transcripts right? At least I hope so cause I did pretty good last term and I'd be annoyed if they didn't even take it into consideration.

Logic sort of tells me most people who were interviewed should get in. I saw someone say only 195 people were interviewed, yet only 120 spots. You have to figure that of the 120 that will be accepted, at least a third probably applied to U of T, many of which will go to U of T. Probably another 10-20 are using pharmacy as a backup. Given that the school didn't even fill the class last year on initial applicants, it sort of makes you wonder.
Any thoughts?

that's exactly how I feel. I feel nervous once in a while, and then I remember that there is practically no chance of utter rejection from both schools. UW interviews so few compared to the #spots, and so many applicants will go to UT instead. And yeah, pharmacy is a popular backup...

I wish I could pick up UW and plonk it in Toronto. That would seal the deal for me... but instead... I'm undecided.

I asked this on the 2012 thread too, but I thought I would get more responses here:

I just had an important question regarding the referance (pharmacist referee) that Waterloo needs.
Does the pharmacist have to do the referance form electronically or they have to send a hard copy by mail??? the reason i'm asking is that my pharmacist is going on vacation during the application time... so i was wondering whether she can fill the form via internet and just send it electronically!!!! i'm soooo worried about this now :eek::confused:

I asked this on the 2012 thread too, but I thought I would get more responses here:

I just had an important question regarding the referance (pharmacist referee) that Waterloo needs.
Does the pharmacist have to do the referance form electronically or they have to send a hard copy by mail??? the reason i'm asking is that my pharmacist is going on vacation during the application time... so i was wondering whether she can fill the form via internet and just send it electronically!!!! i'm soooo worried about this now :eek::confused:
From what I remember, they had to be sent to the school, but I believed they could be faxed as well. Maybe you can ask your pharmacist to send the form super early!

From what I remember, they had to be sent to the school, but I believed they could be faxed as well. Maybe you can ask your pharmacist to send the form super early!

Can they send it electronically (i.e. fill the form online)?

B/C my pharmacist will be like going to a different country for a year, and i don't think that she'll have fax there :confused:

Can they send it electronically (i.e. fill the form online)?

B/C my pharmacist will be like going to a different country for a year, and i don't think that she'll have fax there :confused:

She can submit it through email to Julie so you don`t have to worry about her being in another country!
Hope that makes you feel better!

YES, it does :)

Thank u!

:) You are welcome! Thats what the form said last year, so it will probably be the same this year! You should just call Julie and leave her a message (because she is so busy shes never in the office). She will call you back and tell you for sure! They are seriously so nice when you call!

I know this is kinda early to be asking, but I was just wondering for the people that don't live in waterloo, what are your plans for living arrangements? Does anyone know if there is a point where all the admitted students get to meet each other before January or if pharmacy students in the past have arranged any events like that? Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
:xf:GOOD LUCK EVERYONE:xf:
I am scared now, 1 more week:scared:

wouldn't it be cool if we got the email much earlier than the expected date? It would definitely save me from insomnia arghhh