U of Waterloo 2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many Invites UW hands out??

I believe it's 240 interviews for 120 spots... please someone correct me if i'm wrong!

Members don't see this ad.

thats what i heard too! 50% change again! wohooo!

I hear they usually do not fill all of their spots. They took 8 more this fall as well.

Good luck to everyone!
:luck:

hey everyone,

got an interview as well

cgpa around 81% completed all the pre-reqs.
graduating this year
lots of volunteer and activities.
shadowed a pharmacist for like a week and thats it :( wasnt thinking i would get one since they are keen on pharm experience.

got lucky i guess!

Hey, I was wondering who wrote your LOF?
Does it matter if it is from a pharmacist or a doctor? or does UW give more emphasis if it is from a pharmacsit?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's best to have ref from a pharmacist, because you are applying to pharmacy school, so they can evaluate your abilities the best when it comes to the profession. if you go to the website they say you can submit a doctor or nurse reference but obviously they prefer a pharmacist.

how many people applies to UW Pharmacy?

That's a very good question that I, too, like to know the answer. I believe last year it was something like 600-800 applicants, but maybe you can contact them and ask them about this years data. Let us know if you found out ;)

Hey, I was wondering who wrote your LOF?
Does it matter if it is from a pharmacist or a doctor? or does UW give more emphasis if it is from a pharmacsit?

Yes a pharamcist wrote my ref letter. It was very last minute and I was worried she didn't know me enough but it all worked for the best.
If i were to apply again I would definelty get more pharmacy experience and have my reference letter written by a pharmacist.

That's a very good question that I, too, like to know the answer. I believe last year it was something like 600-800 applicants, but maybe you can contact them and ask them about this years data. Let us know if you found out ;)

For some reason the number 600 is my head when i think about the number of applcants. I think it might have been in the interview email or somewhere on their website or on a similar thread. Needless to say I think Louise might have mentioned it in an email earlier on in the year... yes I like to pester lol...So yeah I think 600 applicants or so!

hey.. got an interview. Kinda freaking out about it cuz i havn't prepared yet.

My gpa ... im not even sure what it is. First year I did poorly..but my upper years were all above 3.7.

i did 6 months of job shadowing in a community pharmacy. Lots of hospital volunteering, Taing, tutoring, some minor EC, research.. ive done some volunteering at my university and i did a research thesis. I hope thats enough research.

I had a pharmacist write me a good reference letter.

I had 2 or 3 more pre-reqs i had to take. Im really surprised some ppl who had high GPAs along w/ pharm experience didnt get interviews. But i really dont think it was b/c you guys were lacking in pre reqs... perhaps it was the AP that wasn't strong enough.

How are you guys preparing for your interviews and where are you guys getting the questions to practice from?

i did 6 months of job shadowing in a community pharmacy. Lots of hospital volunteering, Taing, tutoring, some minor EC, research.. ive done some volunteering at my university and i did a research thesis. I hope thats enough research.

I haven't seen that many pharmacy applicants with any research experience. As anyone can apply after 1-2 years of undergrad, the assumption is that those people in the initial years of undergrad would not have had the opportunity to do any research!

I had 2 or 3 more pre-reqs i had to take. Im really surprised some ppl who had high GPAs along w/ pharm experience didnt get interviews. But i really dont think it was b/c you guys were lacking in pre reqs... perhaps it was the AP that wasn't strong enough.

I always thought that UofT was weird about their selection criteria and the whole admission process... but now I've started to think that Waterloo is acting kind of weird too. I mean why would they reject some people who were missing like 2 prerequisites (but still had high GPA's) and then accept other people who were in the same situation? :eek::confused:

Hello,
I got an interview for U Waterloo and am missing 2 prereqs also. So I don't think they are too picky about that as long as you have most of your courses.
I am starting to get really nervous for the interview (i.e what I am going to talk about), I think I might talk about having played competitive basketball all my life. Do you guys know what you are going to talk about?

Hello,
I got an interview for U Waterloo and am missing 2 prereqs also. So I don't think they are too picky about that as long as you have most of your courses.
I am starting to get really nervous for the interview (i.e what I am going to talk about), I think I might talk about having played competitive basketball all my life. Do you guys know what you are going to talk about?

do you have a high gpa? What are your stats like?

Thanks!

gpa 3.9, missing my second half credit in calc and thermodynamics.
Lots of volunteer activities and some pharm experience shadowing a pharmacist.

Hello,

I have no idea what I will be talking about... I wonder what other applicants have presented in the past? Can anyone shed any light on this topic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the interview this year is going to be open or closed type? I want to know if the interviewers have had access to our application so I'm not repeating a lot of the same information.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the interview this year is going to be open or closed type? I want to know if the interviewers have had access to our application so I'm not repeating a lot of the same information.

Thanks!

they wouldn't know anything about your academics. But they will probably know the stuff you wrote in your application profile. I hope I'm not misleading you, so anyone feel free to correct me!

I have no idea what I will be talking about... I wonder what other applicants have presented in the past? Can anyone shed any light on this topic?

I know someone who got interviewed last year and got in and she talked about how she got to where she is today.....kind of vague but she also said people make scrapbooks or bring in their artwork if they are talking about being an artist.

they wouldn't know anything about your academics. But they will probably know the stuff you wrote in your application profile. I hope I'm not misleading you, so anyone feel free to correct me!

I'm not too sure either, but for some reason, I really think it's closed. I could be getting mixed up with other schools though..

But does it really matter if it's open or closed?

I'm not too sure either, but for some reason, I really think it's closed. I could be getting mixed up with other schools though..

But does it really matter if it's open or closed?

I guess it doesn't really matter. I mean if they look at your marks before interview, then they might be biased towards certain group of people.

But I am also pretty sure that it's closed. I am almost 100% certain that I read somewhere that the interviewers would NOT know anything about your academic history and they are solely there to access your suitability for pharmacy!

p.s. I sincerely hope that those people who are interviewing soon will give us (future applicants) some feedback regarding how to prepare for the interview / things to say / things not to say, etc, etc... :)

Since it's most likely going to be closed book, you guys think it's a good idea to bring our resume? Even if they don't look at it during the interview, they might look at it afterwards to remind themselves of the experiences we mentioned.. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Since it's most likely going to be closed book, you guys think it's a good idea to bring our resume? Even if they don't look at it during the interview, they might look at it afterwards to remind themselves of the experiences we mentioned.. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Well to be honest I don't think bringing a resume would be a good idea - that's my personal opinion though!

They are going to take notes during the interview so if you mention your experiences (which you probably should) then they will write it down! Also, they would know quite a bit about you from your application profile (which they will read before they interview you!)

Note: I personally haven't done an interview at Waterloo pharmacy... I'm just saying things based on what I heard from other people and also the interview experience that I had at Waterloo for one of their other programs!

Well to be honest I don't think bringing a resume would be a good idea - that's my personal opinion though!

They are going to take notes during the interview so if you mention your experiences (which you probably should) then they will write it down! Also, they would know quite a bit about you from your application profile (which they will read before they interview you!)

Note: I personally haven't done an interview at Waterloo pharmacy... I'm just saying things based on what I heard from other people and also the interview experience that I had at Waterloo for one of their other programs!

Oh! I thought closed book means they wouldn't have read our AP beforehand. But thanks! =) I appreciate your opinion.

Recalling the personal statement of what makes you a good pharm, if they ask us that question in the interview, I wonder if we're supposed to mention things we wrote on our application? Well.. I guess it's a good idea because our application got us the interview.

Oh man, I'm actually getting more nervous about the RC/WT. I heard wonderful stories about the interview but horror stories about the RC/WT. 50 minutes to read and write... I hope the pens they provide us write smoothly! heheheheh

Big day is coming up FAST! Good luck everyone! :D

Oh! I thought closed book means they wouldn't have read our AP beforehand. But thanks! =) I appreciate your opinion.

No by "closed" I meant that they don't know your academic history (i.e. haven't looked at your transcripts.)
But I'm pretty sure that they have looked at your application profile before you enter the room. Also when I interviewed at Waterloo, they interviewers asked me about stuff that I wrote in my application profile... so be prepared to answer questions about things you wrote in there!!! Best of luck :)

With 5-10 mins devoted to our spiel, that means there are only 20-25 mins left for them to ask us questions. That doesn't seem like a long time actually. Does anybody know about how many questions they'll be asking? I can't imagine more than 10, cuz then that would mean 2min/q!

I think they will ask about 5 questions.

We are told that it is going to be a scientific article but I want to know how to practice for the RC/WT. I wanted to practice summarizing articles in the set time limit, but I am not sure if I should practice peer-reviewed journal articles as some contain information that is beyond scope. Since applicants are going to vary from people having 2 years of university to people having a degree, I am worried about the content of the article.

Recalling the personal statement of what makes you a good pharm, if they ask us that question in the interview, I wonder if we're supposed to mention things we wrote on our application? Well.. I guess it's a good idea because our application got us the interview.

Oh man, I'm actually getting more nervous about the RC/WT. I heard wonderful stories about the interview but horror stories about the RC/WT. 50 minutes to read and write... I hope the pens they provide us write smoothly! heheheheh

Big day is coming up FAST! Good luck everyone! :D

I called Louise the other day and she says its closed. They will not have read your application before hand... which i would assume includes your AP

No by "closed" I meant that they don't know your academic history (i.e. haven't looked at your transcripts.)
But I'm pretty sure that they have looked at your application profile before you enter the room. Also when I interviewed at Waterloo, they interviewers asked me about stuff that I wrote in my application profile... so be prepared to answer questions about things you wrote in there!!! Best of luck :)

Did you interview for the pharm program specifically?

No it was another program. But the overall process was very similar (they too had the reading/writing test, application profiles, etc)

i'm interested in how you found the rcwt? i heard horror stories about it saying that the articles are quite long and somewhat difficult for a 50 minute time constraint..?

No it was another program. But the overall process was very similar (they too had the reading/writing test, application profiles, etc)

ughhhhh.. because i called louise the other day and she said they will not have read your application. They're suppose to be unbiased and wouldn't what you wrote on your application may cause them to be biased? im going to call her again today to double check.

Last year when I applied it was a closed interview, I assume its the same this year as well. If you guys have any q's about the interview or the writing portion send me a message.

Good Luck!!!

ughhhhh.. because i called louise the other day and she said they will not have read your application. They're suppose to be unbiased and wouldn't what you wrote on your application may cause them to be biased? im going to call her again today to double check.

oo i emailed her and she replied saying they would not have seen our ap at all =)

hey guys, i was just wondering what some of you are planning for the "unstructured" portion of the interview. i read that someone brought in a scrapbook. is anyone making a ppt presentation? are we allowed to bring in our laptops?

hey guys, i was just wondering what some of you are planning for the "unstructured" portion of the interview. i read that someone brought in a scrapbook. is anyone making a ppt presentation? are we allowed to bring in our laptops?

i emailed them asking if we can bring nething, and she said we can bring anything, but won't be provided with av equipment. i'm thinking laptop is fine b/c there are only a couple ppl so u prob won't have to project ur images.. but just doulbe check with them just in case =)

hi! i'm new although i have been following for quite some time.
i have a question although it may seem odd:
are you wearing your suits (or what you are wearing for the interview) to the RC/WT as well? I assume most of you are.. but they are a fair length of time apart so I suppose I could change.
I know it's kind of a funny question but just curious!
Good luck to everyone!!

Good luck everyone!

I had my interview yesterday and i think it went well. We will see!

FINALLY SUMMERRR!!!!

are you wearing your suits (or what you are wearing for the interview) to the RC/WT as well? I assume most of you are.. but they are a fair length of time apart so I suppose I could change.
Good luck to everyone!!

hey yeah i suppose you can change if you wanted to, i think i saw one guy in jeans during the written test.

Good luck to everyone!!

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that considering that you'll have a lot of time between the two!

What you guys think of the interview, was your interviewers responsive to your answers or not.
My interviewers were writing whatever I was saying but they were not giving any kind of respose at all.
Plus it was so hot in the interview room, I was sweating like crazy. :oops:

What you guys think of the interview, was your interviewers responsive to your answers or not.
My interviewers were writing whatever I was saying but they were not giving any kind of respose at all.
Plus it was so hot in the interview room, I was sweating like crazy. :oops:

I was in the first room, and I found my interviewers were pretty unresponsive as well! I made a scrapbook (which I worked SUPER hard on, btw) for my unstructured portion and they didn't really say too much. I did take a peak at the response sheet from the corner of my eye and I did see that I got an 'above average' response from at least one interviewer on one question though -_-, so don't be too pessimistic!

Also agree on the heat thing, sweating like crazy as well haha.

people in my room was super nice! I talked about my research in organic chemistry and one of the pharmacists said if I managed to publish my results one day he'd like to get in on the action and profit lolololololol

what did u guys think about the RC/WR??

the interviewers at my station seemed nice, but were not that responsive either. but i feel i made a good impression on them. i guess i will see!

Personally I didn't find it too bad, my paper was a psychology paper so I wasn't familiar with their methods really. But I think as long as you get the general idea you should be ok.

I was in the first room, and I found my interviewers were pretty unresponsive as well! I made a scrapbook (which I worked SUPER hard on, btw) for my unstructured portion and they didn't really say too much. I did take a peak at the response sheet from the corner of my eye and I did see that I got an 'above average' response from at least one interviewer on one question though -_-, so don't be too pessimistic!

Also agree on the heat thing, sweating like crazy as well haha.

What is a scrap book???

How did you guys prepare for the interview?

people in my room was super nice! I talked about my research in organic chemistry and one of the pharmacists said if I managed to publish my results one day he'd like to get in on the action and profit lolololololol

For my unstructured part of the interview I talked about Leadership skills and I took a booklet along with me which I created last year for head start program for 1st year students, plus I also talked about my international volunteer at Africa. I also showed them all the awards and certificates which I have gathered throughout my university career so far.
One of the intervieweres actually congraculated me at the end of the interview for all the awards.
But for the structured portion they asked me about 5 questions but there were questions in between the questions, the only problem was they were not giving any kind of response at all.
RC/WT I think was not bad, it was doable in 50mins.

guys what kind of responses were u expecting?? they are not supposed to tell you how well u did during the interview and i think a simple nodding head is more than adequate as a response to your answer