U of Waterloo 2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeCandy5

PharmD to Be!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Finally we don't have to go back and forth between the old threads!
Best of luck to us this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was wondering what kind of GPA or volunteering experience you've had in pharmacy related and if you have all the required courses.

I have all of the pre-reqs completed. I have really good volunterring experience (hospital, pharmacy, extra currics, student body, leadership, etc). How about yourself?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for starting this thread!

Last edited:
What year are you in EyeCandy5 and which school are you leaning mostly towards?

Last edited:
Im in fourth year and getting my degree this summer. Im leaning more towards Toronto! Waterloo is still a good school with great credentials and co-op is drawing me to the program. My heart still lies with U of T tho!

How about you guys?

I'm in my fourth year too. At this point dont have a leaning either way. Both schools are good although i agree with eyecandy5 about waterloo's co-op is really a bonus. However considering waterloo has provisional vs Toronto's full accreditation is giving me some doubts. Also personally I like the downtown Toronto area. So right now, I think i am leaning slightly towards Toronto but it all depends on how the interview process goes. :thumbup:

What do you mean provisional? Is it credited or not? It would suck to work hard into getting into UW Pharmacy School and then find out its not credited enough for you to write your final board exam lol, and then realize you can't be a pharmacist unless you go to UofT. UofT has been going for many years now, and it's known worldwide which is what makes it more appealing.
I'm only in second year.

Last edited:
provisional means its kinda got approval.. A type of conditional accreditation. They say that by the time the first class graduates the program will be accredited.

alright cool.

Is everyone hear from Ontario?

Hi! Welcome to SDN! Which University are you applying from? I'm from YorkU.

I'm at McMaster at the moment :) I'm originally from Toronto, though.
I've applied to both UT & UW... getting antsy over interview :S

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great! Which Uni are you leaning more towards and what are your stats like (ie. GPA, ECs, Experience, etc)? I heard the interviews are not so bad, so don't worry!

Hi, I am from University of Waterloo. Are you guys nervous? because I am. My GPA is not that high but i have volunteering experience in a pharmacy before. I have also had previous co-op experiences similar to pharmacy. What do you guys think my chances are?

That's great! Which Uni are you leaning more towards and what are your stats like (ie. GPA, ECs, Experience, etc)? I heard the interviews are not so bad, so don't worry!

my GPA should be about 3.7 by the end of the year, unless I royally screw up between now and april... pcat was 96th, only volunteering for EC, no pharm experience lol I'm regretting not having done something.

I actually don't know where I'd rather go. UW's coop seems interesting, but UT is closer :p

my GPA should be about 3.7 by the end of the year, unless I royally screw up between now and april... pcat was 96th, only volunteering for EC, no pharm experience lol I'm regretting not having done something.

I actually don't know where I'd rather go. UW's coop seems interesting, but UT is closer :p

Yeah, I'm in the same situation.. my GPA should be around 3.7/4.0 by the end of the year (according to OMSAS GPA Chart; I just learnt how to calculate it today), and an 8.1/9.0. I've got quite an amount of experience in a Pharmacy (3 years in High School at an in-patient hospital pharmacy, and Shoppers Drug Mart Pharmacy since Sept). I haven't written the PCAT, because I don't have the Math requirement for Toronto, so didn't bother to apply there. My ECs vary from volunteering at hospitals, community centres, etc to school science clubs and tutoring. I think they also look at your work experience (if you had a job or not).
Out of the two universities, UofT seems to be more experiences, credible, etc but UW seems to be on the right track as well. Personally, I wasn't bothered to do the Calculus requirements for UofT. I know I won't be disappointed with UW's program and it saves me the energy of doing useless Math. lol

Hi, I am from University of Waterloo. Are you guys nervous? because I am. My GPA is not that high but i have volunteering experience in a pharmacy before. I have also had previous co-op experiences similar to pharmacy. What do you guys think my chances are?

What are your stats like (GPA, PCAT scores, ECs)? Having pharmacy experience will really help you.

I keep leaning towards U of T because their program is a bit more established. Assuming there is a bridge to PharmD, having a masters program probably won't matter as much, in most cases. I'm also really attracted to the fact that U of T has residency programs.

U of T has some affiliations with hospitals such as Mount Sinai and offer neat summer opportunities. There are also professors which allow students to conduct research with them during the summer.

I keep leaning towards U of T because their program is a bit more established. Assuming there is a bridge to PharmD, having a masters program probably won't matter as much, in most cases. I'm also really attracted to the fact that U of T has residency programs.

U of T has some affiliations with hospitals such as Mount Sinai and offer neat summer opportunities. There are also professors which allow students to conduct research with them during the summer.

It's truly a great program.

Hi, my GPA is around 3.3 and i have a year of Pharmacy experience plus great work experiences not particularly in pharmacy but in health care. I have not written the PCAT yet. But the downside is that i am missing like 2 required courses but i can take these courses in the summer. What do you think my chances are YAZAHRA89?

Hello Everyone,
Thanks for starting this thread. I am 3rd year student at the University of Windsor. I am missing 1 pre-req, Chemical Thermodynamics Chem 254, anyone of you missing the same course.
Good luck :)

Yeah, I'm in the same situation.. my GPA should be around 3.7/4.0 by the end of the year (according to OMSAS GPA Chart; I just learnt how to calculate it today), and an 8.1/9.0. I've got quite an amount of experience in a Pharmacy (3 years in High School at an in-patient hospital pharmacy, and Shoppers Drug Mart Pharmacy since Sept). I haven't written the PCAT, because I don't have the Math requirement for Toronto, so didn't bother to apply there. My ECs vary from volunteering at hospitals, community centres, etc to school science clubs and tutoring. I think they also look at your work experience (if you had a job or not).
Out of the two universities, UofT seems to be more experiences, credible, etc but UW seems to be on the right track as well. Personally, I wasn't bothered to do the Calculus requirements for UofT. I know I won't be disappointed with UW's program and it saves me the energy of doing useless Math. lol

You look like a strong applicant.:cool:

I hope this reaches you in time, but Calculus is a requirement for U Waterloo as well.

Mathematics

• Calculus 1 for the Life Sciences - MATH 127 or Calculus 1 for Honours Mathematics - MATH 137 or Calculus 1 (Advanced) - MATH 147
  • Calculus 2 for the Life Sciences - MATH 128 or Calculus 2 for Honours Mathematics - MATH 138 or Calculus 2 (Advanced) - MATH 148
  • Introductory Statistics for Scientists - STAT 202

I hate Calculus myself, but what can ya do :(

I hope this reaches you in time, but Calculus is a requirement for U Waterloo as well.

I hate Calculus myself, but what can ya do :(

Hey, I appreciate this. There are two different types of Calculus offered at my University. One is for the Sciences (I'm taking this one, and it tends to be easier and more practical), while the other is more of the core Math courses. UofT requires the second Math, rather than the first - which doesn't make sence to me since it provides the right math concepts for those in sciences. I have recently informed UW of both Maths and they have accepted both as equivalents for their Calculus requirement.
Thanks!

Hi, my GPA is around 3.3 and i have a year of Pharmacy experience plus great work experiences not particularly in pharmacy but in health care. I have not written the PCAT yet. But the downside is that i am missing like 2 required courses but i can take these courses in the summer. What do you think my chances are YAZAHRA89?

I think you still have a chance, especially with the experience you have. I am also missing two required courses but I have been informed that there have been applicants that were in the same situation and still got accepted. On your AP, you were given a chance to provide a liable plan as to when you will finish the remaining requirements. If you provide an acceptable plan that seems to be successful than you should be fine. UW understands that the required courses may take some time to complete, however, you must finish all required courses before January 2011 (before classes start). However, this all depends on the applicant pool - if majority have missing courses, than we all should be fine.
The PCAT is not required for UW.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
Thanks for starting this thread. I am 3rd year student at the University of Windsor. I am missing 1 pre-req, Chemical Thermodynamics Chem 254, anyone of you missing the same course.
Good luck :)

Thank you!!
I'm missing the same course! I'm doing it in the Fall 2010 term, just before Jan classes start. No worries; read my previous spot.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey, I appreciate this. There are two different types of Calculus offered at my University. One is for the Sciences (I'm taking this one, and it tends to be easier and more practical), while the other is more of the core Math courses. UofT requires the second Math, rather than the first - which doesn't make sence to me since it provides the right math concepts for those in sciences. I have recently informed UW of both Maths and they have accepted both as equivalents for their Calculus requirement.
Thanks!

I'm not sure who told you something as absurd as U of T requiring the harder ones. That is completely not true. Calculus for sciences is also an accepted credit.

Thank you!!
I'm missing the same course! I'm doing it in the Fall 2010 term, just before Jan classes start. No worries; read my previous spot.
Good luck!
Yeah I will be doing in the Fall as well if I get accepted.:xf:

Anyone knows that how many interviews do the school give out for the class of 120 students?

I'm not sure who told you something as absurd as U of T requiring the harder ones. That is completely not true. Calculus for sciences is also an accepted credit.

It clearly states so on their website. The two maths at YorkU are Math 1505 (Science Calc) and MATH 1013+1014 (Honours Math). They specifically say they accept 1013+1014, but NOT 1505.
Here is the chart:
York
Math 1000.03 + 1010.03, or 1013.03 + 1014.03, or 1300.03 + 1310.03, or GL Math 1930.03 + 1940.03 (Math 1505 is NOT acceptable)

Thanks!

It clearly states so on their website. The two maths at YorkU are Math 1505 (Science Calc) and MATH 1013+1014 (Honours Math). They specifically say they accept 1013+1014, but NOT 1505.
Here is the chart:
York
Math 1000.03 + 1010.03, or 1013.03 + 1014.03, or 1300.03 + 1310.03, or GL Math 1930.03 + 1940.03 (Math 1505 is NOT acceptable)

Thanks!

You should give them a call to clarify. I'm from U Waterloo and we are allowed to use MATH 127 and 128 (Calc for Sciences) towards our requirement.

You should give them a call to clarify. I'm from U Waterloo and we are allowed to use MATH 127 and 128 (Calc for Sciences) towards our requirement.

I will! Thank you!

I can't wait till April 8:xf:

Can you please guide me how to calculate gpa using OMSAS because im confused. Thanks :)

Can you please guide me how to calculate gpa using OMSAS because im confused. Thanks :)

Sure!
First of all, here's the link: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

At the very bottom, you'll find boxes with the different schools and the GPA system they use. Find out the number for your school.
At the top, you will see: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (Numeric, Percentages, Alphabets). The column for your school's number is what you will use, and you will use it to locate your grades. Write down all your courses on a piece of paper. Once you find your grade on your coumn, go to the very right (or very left), where it says OMSAS Value and write down the corresponding OMSAS Value for each grade near the course it belongs to (for YorkU - number 9 - an A is 3.8 so for a course that I've gotten an A in I'll write 3.8). Once you have all your grades written down, add them all up and divide by the number of courses. The result is your GPA according to OMSAS. If your having trouble, let me know your school and grades in a private message and I can calculate it for you.

Good luck!

You guys seem so qualified! Makes me feel a bit ashamed. Good luck with your application!

Sure!
First of all, here's the link: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

At the very bottom, you'll find boxes with the different schools and the GPA system they use. Find out the number for your school.
At the top, you will see: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (Numeric, Percentages, Alphabets). The column for your school's number is what you will use, and you will use it to locate your grades. Write down all your courses on a piece of paper. Once you find your grade on your coumn, go to the very right (or very left), where it says OMSAS Value and write down the corresponding OMSAS Value for each grade near the course it belongs to (for YorkU - number 9 - an A is 3.8 so for a course that I've gotten an A in I'll write 3.8). Once you have all your grades written down, add them all up and divide by the number of courses. The result is your GPA according to OMSAS. If your having trouble, let me know your school and grades in a private message and I can calculate it for you.

Good luck!

Thanks so much :) It really helped

You guys seem so qualified! Makes me feel a bit ashamed. Good luck with your application!

Thank you so much! Hopefully the hard work pays off:xf:

Are you a Pharmacy student at UW?

No. I'm at UofT.

hi everyone,

I might be applying to UW next year. Just a question for you guys, does anyone know any details about the future PharmD program? Any links that someone can share?
I'm just curious, if like someone get into the program now, but they change it to a pharmD, what happens to people in BscPharm?

Hi
If you do a BscPharm, you can update it to PharmD at the University of Toronto.
http://www.phm.utoronto.ca/pharmd/phmd_idx.html
This provides you with all the information. Also for Fall 2011 class, UofT is changing their requirements to get into the program. I think it is to get straight into a PharmD program. It says on their website that the more information will be provided during the summer time.
I hope it helps.:)

hi everyone,

I might be applying to UW next year. Just a question for you guys, does anyone know any details about the future PharmD program? Any links that someone can share?
I'm just curious, if like someone get into the program now, but they change it to a pharmD, what happens to people in BscPharm?

Hi
If you do a BscPharm, you can update it to PharmD at the University of Toronto.
http://www.phm.utoronto.ca/pharmd/phmd_idx.html
This provides you with all the information. Also for Fall 2011 class, UofT is changing their requirements to get into the program. I think it is to get straight into a PharmD program. It says on their website that the more information will be provided during the summer time.
I hope it helps.:)

Thanks for the info. I knew that you can get a PharmD at UofT once you get your BscPharm... But I was asking about the switch to PharmD for Waterloo, cause I read somewhere on these threads that Waterloo is also changing to PharmD some time soon! Anyone have any insights on that?

do we have to submit our high school transcripts?

do we have to submit our high school transcripts?

No, that's just a glitch in the system. I know it says it's desired, but I asked Julie Pocock and she said it's not required. :) Good luck!