Tulane Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I grew a sack and called financial aid today and the lady I spoke with was incredibly helpful. Not quite the dungeon's lair I though it might be.

Members don't see this ad.

Well...I guess I should have been more precise. I had to leave a message and then "Donna" called me back.

She found a mistake on my addendum...Q 43 it asked would you like Federal money OR private loans to supplement your primary loans. I checked both and told her on the phone I was trying to get as much money as I could :)

What did you guys check for #43? Federal or private? I told her to just leave federal as checked but I had no idea which I should have chose??????:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you guys check for #43? Federal or private? I told her to just leave federal as checked but I had no idea which I should have chose??????:eek:

hmmm... i did the same thing and checked both. does that mean i should call in to correct it?

Well...I guess I should have been more precise. I had to leave a message and then "Donna" called me back.

She found a mistake on my addendum...Q 43 it asked would you like Federal money OR private loans to supplement your primary loans. I checked both and told her on the phone I was trying to get as much money as I could :)

First of all, Donna is my favorite Tulane employee in the world. She was in student affairs and got fired after the storm and we all about went nuts that it happened, and then she got hired by Fin Aid so we were glad she was back. Truely love that woman.

And yes, you ABSOLUTELY want Federal $$$.....lower interest rates than private loans and federal subsidezed loans accrue no interest while in school.

I probably would have checked both. They *should* max out your federal eligibilty before private loans....

silence,

Definitely call. I think you want that thing totally set by the April 15 deadline. Let me know which of the two you choose!

Random questions...

1. Anyone know when the $500 is due? I know I can easily find this out somewhere but its so much easier to pose the question here.
2. Where is the retreat going to this year? (I know last tear was a tubing trip)
2a. I heard the retreat is two days, is that right? Are we going to be camping somewhere overnight, staying in a hotel, brothel, other?
2b. Is this retreat for students only (i.e. can we bring sig. others? I'm hoping not b/c I'd like to be "forced" to meet you guys)
3. Do I smell?

<http://www.som.tulane.edu/>

The album was just posted here.

Excalibur, you and I snuck in to a few photos...looking good ;)

2. Where is the retreat going to this year? (I know last tear was a tubing trip)
2a. I heard the retreat is two days, is that right? Are we going to be camping somewhere overnight, staying in a hotel, brothel, other?
2b. Is this retreat for students only (i.e. can we bring sig. others? I'm hoping not b/c I'd like to be "forced" to meet you guys)

2a. Are you sure the retreat was a tubing trip last year, or was that just something a group of T1's did for fun? In the past it has been held at a downtown hotel during the day on Friday/Saturday, with activities at bars each night.
2b. During the day it's pretty much students only. At night you can bring whoever you'd like.

Are you sure the retreat was a tubing trip last year

No. I only thought I heard that on this thread. I could be way off.

What does a retreat in downtown N.O. consist of?

I'm 95% sure they did do tubing last year, and you could bring your significant others...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 95% sure they did do tubing last year, and you could bring your significant others...

I am 100% sure we went tubing last year for the retreat it was great. That summer those of us doing summer MPH stuff went tubing before hand for fun. Its a fun time and worth doing multiple times.

I am 98% sure we went tubing, but 100% sure that the Speedo Kai wore was waaaay too skimpy to be considered appropriate in any setting. The Speedo Father Don wore was fine, though.

anyone know if tulane requires everyone to send in official transcripts or is that only for people who are finishing up coursework?

I think you probably need to submit a degree conferral to show you completed whatever it is you were doing when you applied. if you already graduated i think that the official transcript that amcas verified should be good enough

I am 98% sure we went tubing, but 100% sure that the Speedo Kai wore was waaaay too skimpy to be considered appropriate in any setting. The Speedo Father Don wore was fine, though.

Listen rebectar, I am done apologizing for my speedo, it was the right size for my body. I can't help that I have enormous genitals and that you couldn't stop staring at them. I may have alot more than average guys, but its just what god gave me. (he was making up for my height)

First of all, Donna is my favorite Tulane employee in the world. She was in student affairs and got fired after the storm and we all about went nuts that it happened, and then she got hired by Fin Aid so we were glad she was back. Truely love that woman.

And yes, you ABSOLUTELY want Federal $$$.....lower interest rates than private loans and federal subsidezed loans accrue no interest while in school.

I probably would have checked both. They *should* max out your federal eligibilty before private loans....

I personally find Donna to be lazy and obstructive. I've called the financial aid office during normal hours literally a dozen times and she only picked up once or twice - and never returned my messages. The financial aid department also tends to disburse the loans like a month after classes start, so make sure you have some cash in your account before you start the semester.

I personally find Donna to be lazy and obstructive. I've called the financial aid office during normal hours literally a dozen times and she only picked up once or twice - and never returned my messages. The financial aid department also tends to disburse the loans like a month after classes start, so make sure you have some cash in your account before you start the semester.

The first few weeks she was at Fin Aid she was on top of her game like she was in Student Affairs, answering the phone and responding to emails (can you imagine!).....then I think the Fin Aid people got on her and told her she was working too hard or something ;) . I still love her even though my aid was kind of screwed up at first....considering it wasn't her fault....

did you guys see the updated cost of attendance for 07-08? an increase of ~5%, ouch! and why do they only budget 9.5 months for room/board? i don't think leases work like that.

http://www.finaidhsc.tulane.edu/som_faq_cost.htm

B/c the government says you can only be eligible for gov't aid when you are enrolled full-time, and unfortunately 1st and 2nd yr you are only officially in school part of the year. I know, it sucks, but you have to make the money last or get private loans.

And I do believe all the above is correct even though 've had a few beers.

Hey everyone-
I've been holding out on posting anything on this site because I haven't been sure on my final decision, but I just decided today that I'm definitely going to be at Tulane next year. Looking forward to getting things started!

Awesome congrats deacondan16! PM me if you want to join the facebook group (50+ members and growing :D ) for Tulane's 2011

Question for other folks- since it seems that disimbursements come later than sooner, how much should we have saved in our own savings prior to coming to school?

Anyone know who the guy is on the front page of Tulane SOM's website?

He came up to me and just started talking to me on my interview. He actively sought me out and wanted to let me know what was going on at Tulane. Answered a bunch of questions. Incredibly nice guy.

It might just be someone on this website ;) (not me!)

The first few weeks she was at Fin Aid she was on top of her game like she was in Student Affairs, answering the phone and responding to emails (can you imagine!).....then I think the Fin Aid people got on her and told her she was working too hard or something ;) . I still love her even though my aid was kind of screwed up at first....considering it wasn't her fault....

Seriously. No trash-talking of Donna will be tolerated. If there's a change in her behavior, I would attribute it to the toxic surroundings, not her.

Anyone know when we will get our fin. aid award letters?

I have a lot of friends from other schools who have already received their's.

I think the general sentiment seemsto be around may when it arrives with our orientation packets?

in OTHER very important news, the french quarter fest rocked this past weekend! don't worry, i drank plenty of hurricanes for ya'll. and i even saw scott fujita. i think he has a crush on me :)

Anyone know who the guy is on the front page of Tulane SOM's website?

He came up to me and just started talking to me on my interview. He actively sought me out and wanted to let me know what was going on at Tulane. Answered a bunch of questions. Incredibly nice guy.

Secret's out. Yep, that's me!

Hey Everyone-
A friend of mine who is currently a T1 sent this to me. He is going to post it on the Tulane housing website and forward it via email, but I thought I'd give SDNers a crack at it first. It is a really good area on Chestnut, two blocks uptown of Napoleon, great, nice, quiet neighborhood, definitely worth a look into. His name is Jim so you can respond to him:

My landlord is listing a newly renovated apartment. The housing market got a big kick and this seems to be the going rate. It's not a bad deal but it's not a great deal either and probably as good as it gets without being in town and searching for a while. The landlord is very good and friendly.

Apt: 3 Bedroom, 1.5 bathrooms. 2 large living rooms, full big kitchen, side yard, front and back porches, washer and dryer, central air, ceiling fans in all rooms

Price: $700 per person, $2100 total

Available: June 1st

Pets: Yes

For contact information email: [email protected]

Anyone going to be in New Orleans May 10-14th? I'm coming down solo to look for a place to live. I'd like to meet up for a drink or two.

Didn't know you were a razorback. I take back everything I said.;)

OH NO! I'm an LSU tiger! Though since I visit this site mainly for anesthesiology input, I thought my first avatar should be an homage to the residency program that will train me.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say I got a "scholarship" with my acceptence letter, but what I did recieve were some naked polaroids of some guy named Dr. Vigh. At first I was a little scared and confused, but now I wouldn't trade them for a full ride!!

HAHAHA, I have andersons wanna trade

this thread has been a little too quiet the past few days :sleep:

I guess we could spice it up with some fightin words. um....rebectar, im sleeping with kai and jmov is sleeping with rebectar. :smuggrin:

Life is draggin on until school starts

anyone get their financial aid package yet?

i'm still waiting for mine. are we suppose to get them soon?

I called them a few weeks ago and they said we'd get them at the end of April/ beginning of May...

So I have a question for all of you guys: how important is it to have a car during the first year? what about if you live in Demming (and roughly how many med students live there?)... I just sent my check in and need to figure out the remaining details.

If you are in Deming I would say you would definitely want a car or know someone with a car. There is nowhere within walking distance to go grocery shopping and if you're going out somewhere other than the French Quarter, you'll need to drive (ie uptown). The steetcar is running as far as Lee Circle (I think until the end of this year when they'll open the rest anyone know anymore details about this?) and the Tulane shuttle will run to the uptown campus and I think stops at Wal-Mart now, BUT I personally would still want a car for ease of transportation. That's my take on things, other opinions?

If you are in Deming I would say you would definitely want a car or know someone with a car. There is nowhere within walking distance to go grocery shopping and if you're going out somewhere other than the French Quarter, you'll need to drive (ie uptown). The steetcar is running as far as Lee Circle (I think until the end of this year when they'll open the rest anyone know anymore details about this?) and the Tulane shuttle will run to the uptown campus and I think stops at Wal-Mart now, BUT I personally would still want a car for ease of transportation. That's my take on things, other opinions?

I completely affirm the above post. Having lived in deming since august without a car I can tell you its been like a prison. You really cant go anywhere but the few restaurants in the CBD or the Quarter. If you dont get a car you'll become as insane as I have in the last academic year! :laugh: Avoid this at all costs :D ;)

Hey I posted about this a while ago, and the building is nearly full with tulane med students. However, we are still looking for one person who is cool with living with someone of the opposite gender. Right now we have a guy and girl who have both reserved rooms in the apartment on the second floor, so if there is anyone out there (male or female) who is cool with that (and living in an awesome place), send me an email!!

Description of the building below:

Huge, Luxury Uptown Tulane Only Apartments Available Now!

542 Lowerline Street

Passed inspection with flying colors...no storm damage or flooding from any storms.

Apartments are located on a beautiful street uptown--3 houses from st. charles, near audubon park and the undergrad campus.

Once the streetcars start running, it will be a 30 second walk to get on them. If you don't have a car, there will be carpooling to and from classes and you are within walking distance to a bunch of stores, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc.

Lowest crime area in N.O. (we looked at NOPD crime maps!), fully alarmed just in case.

Two giant 3br/2bath units and one (already leased) one br unit.

3 stories, elevator, private entrances. 2 driveways, lots of off street parking, two 1 car garages, private grassy yard.

washer/dryer in building, wireless internet and basic cable included, gourmet spacious kitchens with dishwasher/fridge/and all major appliances, huge bright sunrooms, dining rooms, living room, back and front entrances.

Tons of pictures (exterior and interior) available at request (email [email protected]).

Units ready for move in july 1st. reserve now, dont pay rent until then!

Applications and Deposits being taken now.

Need some help with a parking situation...

I may need to leave my car in N.O. for about a month over the summer. Anyone have any suggestions on where best to do this (I know this isn't the brightest idea but I have to do it)?

Can I get a 1-month pass from HEAL before starting school at Tulane?

Anyone know their #?

Other ideas?