Tulane Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I loved Tulane and I'm near certain that I'll be there in August.

I've been with my boyfriend for a few years and I think it can't hurt to try long distance (whatever the length of your relationship).

about cars- I've heard it's not especially cheap to buy in nola? I've looked a little online and I guess I'm leaning towards buying in the northeast and driving down...

Members don't see this ad.

While I certainly value love and all that, I really suggest thinking long and hard before letting a relationship be your deciding factor of where to go. Like REALLY think. For days. Maybe more. B/c it's really easy to hold "I'm here bc of you and I hate this place or gave up my dream place etc etc" against someone!! Especially after you break up.

excellent point. this is exactly what i've been considering. if i am lucky enough to have a choice between tulane and baylor, i will have a lot of thinking to do! so why won't baylor hurry up and tell me....for all i know, me going to tulane may be a done deal and i don't even have to think about it! :)

The roadtrip could be fun though. I am sort of intimidated by the reputation of the "south", never having seen much of it for myself (though Deliverance is a GREAT movie :smuggrin: ). So, always being one for adventure I think it would be kind of neat to drive down.

i am sooo excited for you - you are going to LOVE new orleans! actually, i am excited for ALL of you guys from the east coast/west coast and everywhere in between. as an undergrad @ tulane, my friends were from all over the country....and they ALL fell in love with the spirit of new orleans!!! it is just such a special place! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well mine was at 2yrs when I moved down here, tried it for a few months, didn't work out, was admittedly sad for a bit, soon after met my (now) fiance, life is good.

While I certainly value love and all that, I really suggest thinking long and hard before letting a relationship be your deciding factor of where to go. Like REALLY think. For days. Maybe more. B/c it's really easy to hold "I'm here bc of you and I hate this place or gave up my dream place etc etc" against someone!! Especially after you break up.
I agree with this. (Im on a SDN hiatus visiting my gf :D). When I graduated my gf and I had been dating for 2 years. Shes a senior now. Luckily I think if things work out, we should be able to live together next year. I promised her she can live with me without paying for rent if she comes down to study at UNO or Tulane or wherever and get her masters in education and then be my suga momma when she starts working :laugh:

So far we've survived our long distance but we've had a couple of rocky points. I just dont know if I could do it for another year. If we didnt live with each other, Id probably see how it goes and try to work things out and go with the flow. WIth things like that, I guess thats all you can really do.

I highly recommend everyone who's attached become single ASAP & start dating someone a year ahead of you - I did this and haven't bought a textbook since first semester of 1st year and got all his old notesets for free. Now that we're getting married I'm hoping this trend continues.

j/k....though it did save me SO much money! ;)

hey guys, i'm a T1 currently at tulane. anyone got any questions about tulane or school life?

I highly recommend everyone who's attached become single ASAP & start dating someone a year ahead of you - I did this and haven't bought a textbook since first semester of 1st year and got all his old notesets for free. Now that we're getting married I'm hoping this trend continues.

j/k....though it did save me SO much money! ;)

:laugh: :laugh: that's brilliant! i'm breaking up with my boyfriend first thing when i see him friday... ;)

hey guys, i'm a T1 currently at tulane. anyone got any questions about tulane or school life?

yeah - 2 questions...do you take good notes and are you single? ;)

okay...sorry...that was totally lame and predictable, but i just couldn't help myself! :) :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: that's brilliant! i'm breaking up with my boyfriend first thing when i see him friday... ;)

yeah - 2 questions...do you take good notes and are you single? ;)

okay...sorry...that was totally lame and predictable, but i just couldn't help myself! :) :laugh:

haha. nice question. beats the other ones that i get so often-- like what was your mcat score.

i take damn good notes. i go to class about 80% of the time. and yes, i am still single unfortunately.

and if you do come to med school here, you will probably spend a good deal of time back on the campus where you went for college. a handful of med students are always studying up there or are at reiley.

jmov, haven't pm'ed you yet, but haven't forgotten that you'll be in the area. anyone else going to be around april 10-13? i know it's mid-week, but as a school teacher this year, i get the luxury of a spring break again.

i'm driving my car from california to nola. i hear the potholes are going to do a number on my honda civic (my poor car...).

and i'm in the long distance boat too. i've been doing it all this year, and now i'm facing the fact that it'll have to continue for at least another 2. am i insane? probably. is it hard as hell? yes. will i regret it ever? i hope not. am i ready to give up yet? no way. and am i too independent to think about making changes for someone else? oh yeah, definitely.

I'll throw in my realtionship situation since we are all opening up so much (online bonding is so beautiful). I've been dating a girl for three years. As of now, we are planning to move down together (She finishes her masters this June). Even with her coming, I am still kinda freaked out. I have never lived with a girlfriend before...Plus I just saw the movie "The Last Kiss" (hahah, no seriously this movie made me depressed). I think I'm having a Quarter Life Crisis.

:laugh: I feel ya- I think its natural and is definitely something that should be talked about seriously, because its pretty much the next step to marriage, and a hard step to commit to (moving in together) if you havn't discussed the prospect of getting married.

For me while dating in college, i pretty much "lived" with the lady I suppose, and Ive stayed over her house a couple of times back at her parents place (or her home lol). I think as long as you guys maintain your independence doing stuff where you're not in each others face 24/7, you should be happy :)

Everyone should be single when they come down here, so they can meet their future spouse the first weekend of medical school like I did. The best place to meet your future spouse has to be Grits. It worked for me!!

You'll get the humor of this statement when you move down here.

I know vegetables is already laughing.

Non-match related topic:

As you guys start considering Financial Aid business, I hope to save you guys a few bucks since I certainly didn't: DO NOT USE SALLIE MAE AS YOUR LENDER!!

Even though the school recommends them (mainly bc Sallie Mae pays them to), DON'T!!! They charge ridiculous fees (loan origination, repayment fees - yes, fees when you go INTO repayment, how stupid, etc etc). Also cutomer service is HORRIBLE and half the time I get some guy in India who has never even heard of "residency." It's sucked big time.

I switched halfway thru school to T.H.E. (Total Higher Education) for my lendor and they are AWESOME. No crappy repayment fees, I talk to a real live person in this country everytime within minutes, and they actually decrease your interest rate by a percentage or so if you pay on time. They're wonderful.

If you're gonna go in debt, it mine as well be with as little pain as possible, right??

i second this. I've been using THE and have had zero problems. they always answer the phone and are polite and knowledgeable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone should be single when they come down here, so they can meet their future spouse the first weekend of medical school like I did. The best place to meet your future spouse has to be Grits. It worked for me!!

You'll get the humor of this statement when you move down here.

can we include the boot as well? but of course, the quality catches only show their face around 3 am....and if we're gonna stay up that late to find our future spouses, might as well peruse F&M's as well...or even snake & jake's....

can we include the boot as well? but of course, the quality catches only show their face around 3 am....and if we're gonna stay up that late to find our future spouses, might as well peruse F&M's as well...or even snake & jake's....

That night I was at F&M's to start, nothing was happening, so I trickled into Grits and the wedding bells sounded.

what bestofneworleans.com has to say about GRITS:

Grits Bar and Pool Hall (530 Lyons St., 899-9211) -- Otherwise known as the Siamese sister of F&M Patio (they're located back to back), this college extravaganza has cheap beer, plenty of pool tables and even a dance floor, featuring the latest radio hits. Just watch out for all those nubile and gyrating bodies.

and the write-up for snake and jake's just cracked me up. *disclaimer* i've never actually been there...but in college, when the boys annouced they wanted to go there next (around 3-4 am usually), that was the signal for us girls to head on home....

Snake and Jake's Christmas Lounge (7612 Oak St., 861-2802) -- This notorious late-night hangout is best handled after large amounts of alcohol. Check out the unique "Christmas" decor and low lighting or flop on the couches with the rest of the debaucherous masses. It's a great place to people watch and/or be watched.

from what i've heard, you'd never want to actually "sit" on the couches...or even touch them, for that matter....

what bestofneworleans.com has to say about GRITS:

Grits Bar and Pool Hall (530 Lyons St., 899-9211) -- Otherwise known as the Siamese sister of F&M Patio (they're located back to back), this college extravaganza has cheap beer, plenty of pool tables and even a dance floor, featuring the latest radio hits. Just watch out for all those nubile and gyrating bodies.

Would you really want the first place where you meet your future spouse to be anywhere else?

How about The Boot?

The Boot (1039 Broadway St., 866-9008) -- The Boot is the Drinking 101 classroom of Tulane and Loyola students, a ground-zero place with a distinctly Greek aura about it. This is simplicity at its, um, finest. Ambience takes a back seat to cheap prices -- though you have to appreciate the manta ray hanging from the ceiling -- as drinking-age students learn their way around a draft beer.

What's hilarious is the med school frat house is located right next to this place. Senior medical students and in some cases interns walk next door to the Boot and prey on 19 and 20 year old college chicks. Those guys are my heroes...I mean, they're filthy, FILTHY!

haha.

OK, apparently I'm a little classier than excalibur, b/c I met mine joining a student club. :hungover:

So double your chances: join activities, and go drinking at these fab establishments, and you can't lose!!

What's hilarious is the med school frat house is located right next to this place. Senior medical students and in some cases interns walk next door to the Boot and prey on 19 and 20 year old college chicks. Those guys are my heroes...I mean, they're filthy, FILTHY!

Haha I stayed there for my interview- interesting and cool bunch of guys. It sucked though because their extra bedroom was on the top floor (3rd) and I had just gotten ACL surgery done so it was a trek to get up there.

That aside, how much medcest is there at Tulane? lol

Would you really want the first place where you meet your future spouse to be anywhere else?

How about The Boot?

The Boot (1039 Broadway St., 866-9008) -- The Boot is the Drinking 101 classroom of Tulane and Loyola students, a ground-zero place with a distinctly Greek aura about it. This is simplicity at its, um, finest. Ambience takes a back seat to cheap prices -- though you have to appreciate the manta ray hanging from the ceiling -- as drinking-age students learn their way around a draft beer.

I thought only high school kids and tulane frosh went to the boot, lol. That is pretty filthy :D and didn't someone get shot at snake and jakes a few years back? gotta love grits though, its dirty in that ohhh sooo new orleans way that just makes you feel warm and cozy inside.

I thought only high school kids and tulane frosh went to the boot, lol. That is pretty filthy :D and didn't someone get shot at snake and jakes a few years back? gotta love grits though, its dirty in that ohhh sooo new orleans way that just makes you feel warm and cozy inside.

Some people got shot at grits just recently, but you can't beat the proximity to f&m's and cheesy fries. apparently though, the new hot spots are azul and 45 tchoup.

Ok man,

I've been reading through the student loan providers and I really can't make heads or tails of the differences between all of the Stafford loans and the Grad Plus Loans. I'm gonna need one of each per year for sure. What is the predominant lender for your class? Is anyone having any regrets?

Thanks!

Ok man,

I've been reading through the student loan providers and I really can't make heads or tails of the differences between all of the Stafford loans and the Grad Plus Loans. I'm gonna need one of each per year for sure. What is the predominant lender for your class? Is anyone having any regrets?

Thanks!

I posted about this earlier (just browse thru the past few days of this thread and you should see it there somewhere), but avoid Sallie Mae (of course, just my opinion, but you'll see why in my old post), and I've used T.H.E. and they've been great. Good luck!

I have a somewhat working knowledge of what we'll be doing in terms of finances and whatnot- but I think it would be best if it is heard from one of the current students- what happens from acceptance in hand to starting school off. By this I mean, filling out FAFSA, the addendum, to funding for your debt, etc..etc.. :)

I have a somewhat working knowledge of what we'll be doing in terms of finances and whatnot- but I think it would be best if it is heard from one of the current students- what happens from acceptance in hand to starting school off. By this I mean, filling out FAFSA, the addendum, to funding for your debt, etc..etc.. :)

So you fill out all the paperwork (FAFSA and addendum, as well as choosing lender), then you get your award letter, then you have to send that back in saying what amount of the award you accept (you can take all, none, or parts of the loans), then when school starts you have to go in and sign paperwork, but the key is IT WILL BE A WHILE BEFORE YOU GET A DISBURSEMENT - i.e. there are a ton of start-up costs (rent, books, fees for clubs such as AMSA or other ones, anatomy lab fees, fees for lots o' stuff) and you need to have $$ to lay out for these things. I can't remember when disbursements came but it does take a while and my checkbook was definitely used quite a bit before then....so try to put some cash away over the summer. That's my biggest piece of advice. And disbursements come twice a year, one at the beginning of each semester - of course awlays a few weeks later than you need them...but such is financial aid at almost every school I am sure.

And if you run out of $$ during the year you can apply for emergency loans or additional private loans, so that always made me feel a bit better...

Also, I believe Tulane has a deal with Dell to get discounts on computers - for some reason Fin Aid telling us about that - might want to check with them. I also think you can apply for additional money to cover the cost of a computer (loans, not free money of course) once you show a reciept. Never did that but I heard of it from some of my friends who did.

Everyone needs to do themselves a favor and read "A Confederacy of Dunces" before you go to New Orleans. Its the funniest f*cking book EVER!!! I just finished it and laughed all the way through.

Well my bracket is busted so I guess its back to med school...

Anyone know when the award letters come out?

I'm really afraid they are not going to give me that much money b/c I have A LOT of factors that I had to put down that make it look I am loaded. Ugh.

I can't compare it with other med schools, but the financial aid office here sucks exponentially more than the one at my undergrad. My entire first two years, I never had a problem--even using Sallie Mae. However, not once in these last two years have I EVER gotten my financial aid on time. Or even within a week of the expected disbursement date. This past summer, my financial aid was delayed by two entire months, and I had to postpone my away rotations because of it.

Don't get me wrong: I like Tulane a lot. But the financial aid office here is enough to make even a fairly stable person go postal.

They say they've just hired another person, though, so maybe it will get better once that person is trained.

Well my bracket is busted so I guess its back to med school...

Anyone know when the award letters come out?

I'm really afraid they are not going to give me that much money b/c I have A LOT of factors that I had to put down that make it look I am loaded. Ugh.

Who'd you pick? I picked Tennessee to the Final game and am completely hosed now. BAH! I didnt need that 100 bucks anyways :rolleyes:

Who'd you pick? I picked Tennessee to the Final game and am completely hosed now. BAH! I didnt need that 100 bucks anyways :rolleyes:

I got on the Kevin Durant bandwagon and picked Texas going the whole way, needless to say that didn't work out for me. Now I need Florida to get to the championship and lose, and all of the other #1 seeds to lose in the elite 8 to win my pool.

Good call picking Tennessee to go as far as they did, I had them out in the first round. Who knows how far they would have made it if they would have beat OSU.

I can't compare it with other med schools, but the financial aid office here sucks exponentially more than the one at my undergrad. My entire first two years, I never had a problem--even using Sallie Mae. However, not once in these last two years have I EVER gotten my financial aid on time. Or even within a week of the expected disbursement date. This past summer, my financial aid was delayed by two entire months, and I had to postpone my away rotations because of it.

Don't get me wrong: I like Tulane a lot. But the financial aid office here is enough to make even a fairly stable person go postal.

They say they've just hired another person, though, so maybe it will get better once that person is trained.
How understaffed are they exactly?

So has anyone complained to the administration about the fin. aid department? All I ever hear the current students say is that the admin is very responsive to student's concerns so why has nothing been done about the fin. aid ppl?

How understaffed are they exactly?

Now that they have this new person, they are back to normal pre-storm numbers I believe.

And I'm pretty sure the Fin Aid dept gets crap from students everywhere b/c when it coems to money no one wants anything geting in their way between them and their cash. I never complained outside of Fin Aid, but then again when I had an issue I stuck to them like the herpes virus on a stripper pole (WOW did I just say that??), so they usually were pretty quick to respond to my issues. Just be tenacious, friends...

So has anyone complained to the administration about the fin. aid department? All I ever hear the current students say is that the admin is very responsive to student's concerns so why has nothing been done about the fin. aid ppl?

Yes, we complained ALOT, and they hired a number of new people. They are now at full staff. The only time I ever had a complaint with FinAid is when they didn't get us our checks until a full week into this current semester. We are supposed to have our money the first week of class. You need to make sure you set up direct deposit though or you will wait a while for them to cut checks.

I got my financial aid 4 weeks late in spring 06, 8 weeks late in fall 06 and 2 weeks late in spring 07. Then they charged my MPH tuition without adding it into my overall award, so I had to have them approve an additional loan. I signed that promissory note the first week of February and I still don't have the money.

Each time I'm all over them like glue, and it doesn't make a difference. I've complained all the way up the chain. As far as I can tell, they don't answer to anyone. And the whole process is so byzantine that no one outside the office even knows enough about it to judge their competence or to tell when they're blowing smoke about why someone's disbursement is late.

As you can tell, I'm quite displeased with financial aid. I probably wouldn't be so vocal about it if I weren't waiting on a late loan at the very moment you all are discussing the issue. And if it were an aberration, I wouldn't complain either. So yes, they're fully staffed. But I'm still waiting for my loan nonetheless.

But yeah, get direct deposit.

Ouch Samoa, that stinks...

But as another plug for T.H.E. lenders - I put in a request for a residency relocation loan thru them maybe 10 days ago and they mailed me my check yesterday. Rather pleased at that crazy fast turnaround and the fact that I can now pay for my move!

I don't appreciate having to flip to page two to find this thread. It is completely unacceptable.

So you fill out all the paperwork (FAFSA and addendum, as well as choosing lender), then you get your award letter, then you have to send that back in saying what amount of the award you accept (you can take all, none, or parts of the loans), then when school starts you have to go in and sign paperwork, but the key is IT WILL BE A WHILE BEFORE YOU GET A DISBURSEMENT - i.e. there are a ton of start-up costs (rent, books, fees for clubs such as AMSA or other ones, anatomy lab fees, fees for lots o' stuff) and you need to have $$ to lay out for these things. I can't remember when disbursements came but it does take a while and my checkbook was definitely used quite a bit before then....so try to put some cash away over the summer. That's my biggest piece of advice. And disbursements come twice a year, one at the beginning of each semester - of course awlays a few weeks later than you need them...but such is financial aid at almost every school I am sure.

And if you run out of $$ during the year you can apply for emergency loans or additional private loans, so that always made me feel a bit better...

Also, I believe Tulane has a deal with Dell to get discounts on computers - for some reason Fin Aid telling us about that - might want to check with them. I also think you can apply for additional money to cover the cost of a computer (loans, not free money of course) once you show a reciept. Never did that but I heard of it from some of my friends who did.

How long does it take Tulane to get your award letter back to you after you complete FAFSA?

How long does it take Tulane to get your award letter back to you after you complete FAFSA?

I just talked to the fin aid office today. He said that after they receive your FAFSA and the addendum, they hope to notify us by the end of April. He also said that if you haven't heard by then, feel free to call and ask.

I second and third the stinky financial aid office and don't let them tell you it's due to Katrina - they were awful before the storm and are even worse with public health students, my financial aid has been months late.

The best way I've found to deal with them is right when you get here, go directly to their office (emailing/calling doesn't help), sign in, and wait for your counselor. Be friendly, but very firm and don't let them wave you out of the office and say they'll get something done later. Tell them you're happy to wait.

It sucks but it's on the student to stay on top of it.

I second and third the stinky financial aid office and don't let them tell you it's due to Katrina - they were awful before the storm and are even worse with public health students, my financial aid has been months late.

The best way I've found to deal with them is right when you get here, go directly to their office, sign in, and wait for your counselor. Be friendly, but very firm and don't let them waive you out of the office and say they'll get something done later. Tell them you're happy to wait.

It sucks but it's on the student to stay on top of it.

I still love Tulane though :)

i just sent my $500 deposit in today. guess it's real now :)

Hey all you future Tulanians. I'm a rising third year with a beautiful three bedroom house uptown, one block off of St. Charles. I have one room available for rent for $700/month.

The house is fully furnished, has wireless internet, cable television, air conditioning/heating, a nice backyard with BBQ and a front porch with rocking chairs, plus a complete collection of 1st year medical school books! You would be sharing a bathroom with a female grad student at Tulane, so a female med student is preferred.

If anyone is interested email me at [email protected], pictures of the house are also available if you contact me. If you have any other questions about the house or about Tulane/New Orleans in general, please feel free to email.

Enjoy your last summer!
Joshua

Hey all you future Tulanians. I'm a rising third year with a beautiful three bedroom house uptown, one block off of St. Charles. I have one room available for rent for $700/month.

The house is fully furnished, has wireless internet, cable television, air conditioning/heating, a nice backyard with BBQ and a front porch with rocking chairs, plus a complete collection of 1st year medical school books! You would be sharing a bathroom with a female grad student at Tulane, so a female med student is preferred.

If anyone is interested email me at [email protected], pictures of the house are also available if you contact me. If you have any other questions about the house or about Tulane/New Orleans in general, please feel free to email.

Enjoy your last summer!
Joshua

Rebectar has tried to sublet the other side of her bed to me for months now. If anyone's interested let her know, she claims to be "fleixble" on the payment plan. (If you know what I mean)

Hey guys. Just got an e-mail from Tulane. Gonna share it in case you were accepted and didn't get one...

Class of 2011,

Congratulations on your acceptance to Tulane University School of Medicine. For information on available housing in New Orleans go to http://d-h-o.us/forums/TU//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=18. John Wysocki, a second year student, has graciously volunteered to monitor and update the website as needed for the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs.

Additionally, we have student housing at Deming Pavilion, which is located next to the Tulane University Hospital and Clinic and across the street from the Medical School . Their website address is deming.tulane.edu and the contact person at Deming Pavilion is Katina at [email protected]. The current site is scheduled to be updated during the week of April 16, 2007.

Information and Important Dates for you and your family:

Orientation and Retreat – Friday & Saturday, August 3rd & 4th
Family BBQ - Sunday, August 5th
White Coat Ceremony – Monday, August 6th
Registration – Tuesday, August 7th
Anatomy Orientation – Tuesday, August 7th

You will receive your Orientation Packet via email during the latter part of May. If you have any questions or concerns in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Karen

Hey guys. Just got an e-mail from Tulane. Gonna share it in case you were accepted and didn't get one...

Did you notice all 320 of our emails are shown? So they are expecting ~170 people to drop.

Did you notice all 320 of our emails are shown? So they are expecting ~170 people to drop.

I am half-way expecting braluk to press "reply all" and invite them to our facebook group...... :)

I am half-way expecting braluk to press "reply all" and invite them to our facebook group...... :)

:laugh: oh you

thats strange i didnt see all of the emails, maybe they fixed it? i only saw the big honchos in the CC (father don, etc..etc..) I could invite them to the facebook group :idea: