Tulane Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you notice all 320 of our emails are shown? So they are expecting ~170 people to drop.

Did you really sit there and count those???

...Jeez... you did didn't you... and you're 6 off to boot... :cool:

then again I'm also considering the fact that you might have some cool email feature that shows the number of recipients... which I don't have but assume possibly exists. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you really sit there and count those???

...Jeez... you did didn't you... and you're 6 off to boot... :cool:

then again I'm also considering the fact that you might have some cool email feature that shows the number of recipients... which I don't have but assume possibly exists. ;)

actually i am only off by 5, which makes you off by 1 :laugh:

HAHAH - that is totally the first thing i though when i read that! :laugh:

if you really must know, i copied the whole list to ms-word and ran a "find all" for "@". guess i copied a few extra the first time :p

Members don't see this ad :)
if you really must know, i copied the whole list to ms-word and ran a "find all" for "@". guess i copied a few extra the first time :p

GENIUS!!!! wanna be my study partner for tests? i'll bet you have all sort of shortcuts up your sleeve!!!!!! :)

GENIUS!!!! wanna be my study partner for tests? i'll bet you have all sort of shortcuts up your sleeve!!!!!! :)
sure! if you don't mind turning into a slacker, which is what taking these shortcuts did to me :)

I am half-way expecting braluk to press "reply all" and invite them to our facebook group...... :)

OMG... I am working in lab right now (everyone in my lab space is really quiet - and I am one of the only non-Koreans too, by that I mean that the social rules are a little different from my old lab space) anyway, that comment just made me burst out with a loud laugh. I forgot where I was for a second. I hope I didn't make someone mis-fire a pipette or something (it was a LOUD laugh).

LOLOLOLOL... ha.

:laugh:

Did you notice all 320 of our emails are shown? So they are expecting ~170 people to drop.

I was surprised too by how many people they had on the "accepted" list. But I guess they know what they are doing.

------
I asked Karen about it:

Karen,

Thanks for the info. I have a random, non-housing related question for you. Some of us confirmed and deposit-paid fall students were wondering...Are all 315 people you sent this email to really accepted to the class of 2011?

Thanks
------------

Yes, all 315 were accepted, but not all will attend. Accepted students have until May 15, 2007 to send in their $500 deposit. You will have between 155 and 175 in your class. I hope I have answered your question.

Karen

They always accept that many b/c people always drop....all schools do it.

Yes, all 315 were accepted, but not all will attend. Accepted students have until May 15, 2007 to send in their $500 deposit. You will have between 155 and 175 in your class. I hope I have answered your question.

Karen

I wonder how that affects those on the waitlist. Can't be good news for them.

I wonder how that affects those on the waitlist. Can't be good news for them.

I don't think it is necessarily terrible news for the waitlist... unless Tulane is the "place to be" this year. Seriously, think about it.

I guess that is why it is such an "accomplishment" to get off the waitlist. That means the number of students who accept the acceptance must drop BELOW the 155 number... then they offer to the remaining spots to the waitlist - after the fact. The waitlist is not a bad place to be, statistically speaking... and I wish those of you on the waitlist the best of luck. If you are high on the waitlist it is highly probable that the numbers are on your side ;)

Really though, it does make a lot of sense because according to the recent numbers (from what I recall reading) there are some 17,000 students who matriculate in to US and Caribbean med schools, with almost 40,000 applicants to begin with. That means half the applicants (give or take) get in... and also from what I recall, a quarter of the 40,000 were reapplicants. (I kind of dig this kind of information...MPH in Epidemiology, here I come). So of those accepted many of them are accepted at multiple schools, but in the end they WILL select ONLY ONE school... leaving lots of room at A LOT of schools for everyone else.

It will be interesting to see the outcome. But really still... no shame with the waitlist, or the waitlist acceptance... just a lot of racked nerves while you are waiting for the cards to fall into place.

OMG... I am working in lab right now (everyone in my lab space is really quiet - and I am one of the only non-Koreans too, by that I mean that the social rules are a little different from my old lab space) anyway, that comment just made me burst out with a loud laugh. I forgot where I was for a second. I hope I didn't make someone mis-fire a pipette or something (it was a LOUD laugh).

LOLOLOLOL... ha.

was it so funny that you were drinking water and milk came out of your nose??? :laugh:

haha...sorry, that was stupid!

i'm off to eat a fabulous new orleans dinner!!! a treat the rest of you will enjoy in just a few short months!!! the food here is to die for!! :)

For those of you keeping score at home, I got my financial aid the day before yesterday. They assigned me to the new guy. ---Now that's just mean, making a brand new employee fix their mistake and deal with the pissed off student whose loan it is. I felt sorry for him.

Members don't see this ad :)
about the financial aid addendum, how much are you putting for the amount you wan't to borrow? i'm not sure i want the maximum amount depending on how much that will be.

LOLOLOLOL... ha.

Haha :laugh: does this officially make me the facebook/SDN ***** of Tulane now? ;) Apparently also because of it, someone suggested i buy eeveryone drinks for the first round- lets hope that financial aid comes through so i can do that ;) ill request a little extra haha

about the financial aid addendum, how much are you putting for the amount you wan't to borrow? i'm not sure i want the maximum amount depending on how much that will be.

Ask for the max to be safe. Then, when you get your award letter, you can see what you've been given and accept any amount of it (none/all/some random portion of it).

Hey guys some bad news, I dont think Ill be attending Tulane next year :(

so, you could only wait 9 minutes past midnight to go ahead and make your april fools joke? :)

haha...okay...i'll admit...i fell for it -- but only for like 10 seconds! ;)

ps - congrats on the $35k lottery win! :)

so, you could only wait 9 minutes past midnight to go ahead and make your april fools joke? :)

haha...okay...i'll admit...i fell for it -- but only for like 10 seconds! ;)

ps - congrats on the $35k lottery win! :)
Hahah ;) i hope u didnt fall for that one either :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the lottery win was ALSO an april fools joke... :p

hey, but if I'm wrong...CONGRATS!

I put that up on my facebook also and I got more than a dozen calls that night from friends and from people that I havnt talked to in a while :)rolleyes: ) asking me to confirm or congratulating me, lost some sleep but hey it was worth it :laugh:

I got my financial aid the day before yesterday.

Samoa,

Are you a current student or an incoming student? I am an incoming student and I haven't received anything yet.

And I totally understand if you don't want to answer this question but...How much are you getting for the upcoming year?

Thanks!

OK I am fin. aid illiterate...

On the addendum Q 13 states:

I'm___applying for OR___have been awarded financial support from:

___Institutional Scholarships and Grants (type and amount)_____

I have no idea what the F is going on in this question. Of course I want fin. support. That is why I am filling out this form, among other hoops I have been jumping through. Is this question asking if I want money? Argghhhh. <HOLDEN gets mad>

What would the above statement look like (filled out by me) if I want money from all scholarships and grants available.?

Also could someone break down #43a. into HOLDEN terms (ie lay-lay-laymen speak).

Thanks in advance guys.

I just want to pay for med school damnit!:mad:

OK I am fin. aid illiterate...

On the addendum Q 13 states:

I have no idea what the F is going on in this question. Of course I want fin. support. That is why I am filling out this form, among other hoops I have been jumping through. Is this question asking if I want money? Argghhhh. <HOLDEN gets mad>

What would the above statement look like (filled out by me) if I want money from all scholarships and grants available.?

Also could someone break down #43a. into HOLDEN terms (ie lay-lay-laymen speak).

Thanks in advance guys.

I just want to pay for med school damnit!:mad:

ditto. i have the same question. i think if i have time between experiments, i'm going to walk over to the fin. aid office tomorrow and make someone break it down for me. i'll let you know once i get the info....

I'm pretty sure you want it to say this:

I'm__X_applying for OR___have been awarded financial support from:

_X__Institutional Scholarships and Grants (type and amount)_____

AKA you want to be considered for Tulane scholarships/grants.

You'd check the "been awarded" part if you've already gotten one (maybe the undergrad Tulane students who got accepted early into the school - like soph yr or whatever that program is - already have a scholarship.)

Well that was incredibly simple. So simple I am getting the uneasy feeling I am going to fail out of med school.

At least I will be good for the curve...:(

excalibur! nice razorback ;)

Thanks!! It's out of respect to where I'll be doing my anesthesiology residency, but vegetables already knew that. What do you think, vegetables, does it look better than the razorback I was doodling in our lecture the other day?

is it better to mail or fax the addendum? i hear the postal service is still having a few problems there.

Thanks!! It's out of respect to where I'll be doing my anesthesiology residency, but vegetables already knew that. What do you think, vegetables, does it look better than the razorback I was doodling in our lecture the other day?

I don't know, the one you drew was pretty fancy. I miss our very difficult class. (!)

is it better to mail or fax the addendum? i hear the postal service is still having a few problems there.

I haven't had any postal issues recently, but you could always fax it to be extra safe. Or do both. Or hand deliver it.

I faxed mine and then called to make sure they got it, which they did.

FYI for people looking for housing options...

i found a great place that a tulane med alum is getting ready to purchase and wants to rent out to all tulane med students. its a beautiful building with sunrooms, an elevator, laundry in the units, and a backyard. Its uptown (like 5 miles from the medschool) on a really nice street and is close to the undergrad campus and audubon park. Its also half a block from st. charles. There's tons of off-street parking There are 3 units total, 2 of which with 3 bedrooms and one 1 bedroom (which might already be taken by another incoming med student). I'll be living in one of the other units, so I guess that means there's room for 5 more.

rent would be reasonable, and the best part is that you wouldn't have to start paying rent until july, but you could still reserve your spot now.

i'll know for sure if its 100% a go in about two weeks, but if you're interested, just send me a message and i'll give you more details (and i have pictures).

Tennisgirl,

I just sent you a PM. That seems really awesome...

I'm pretty sure you want it to say this:
I'm__X_applying for OR___have been awarded financial support from:
_X__Institutional Scholarships and Grants (type and amount)_____

AKA you want to be considered for Tulane scholarships/grants.
You'd check the "been awarded" part if you've already gotten one (maybe the undergrad Tulane students who got accepted early into the school - like soph yr or whatever that program is - already have a scholarship.)

What awards and grants ARE available that I might apply for... during my internet research experience I have only found grants that are available to undergrads. Where is the love for us? Does anyone have a resource that I could look into regarding scholarships and grants?

Cheers :D

What awards and grants ARE available that I might apply for... during my internet research experience I have only found grants that are available to undergrads. Where is the love for us? Does anyone have a resource that I could look into regarding scholarships and grants?

Cheers :D

I don't have the addendum so I don't know the context, but my impression is that "Institutional Scholarships and Grants" is referring to outside sources of funding (such as from private companies or Foundations), not Tulane scholarships. As far as Tulane scholarships, my understanding is that all applicants are considered during the application process and informed if they receive it in their acceptance letter. There is not a separate process to request a scholarship.

I just looked at my old addendum from 1st yr as I spent the afternoon getting my loan paperwork in order (fun), and I checked it off as I mentioned a few posts above. I just underlined the "applying for" part so they'd understand I hadn't gotten anything awarded yet from any other places. When I did it, I meant for it to indicate I'd like to be considered for any scholarships or grants the school would like to give me.

In all honesty, my guess is this is not a big deal, and you will be considered for all things you're eligible for in the end. You could call FinAid if you can catch them, but how I filled it out worked out fine, and I am sure it will for you too!

Just curious has anyone ever been successful with sites like fastweb, etc.. in obtaining scholarships? I also believe on the Tulane SOM financial aid website they list some sites to search for scholarships

What lender is everyone using for their stafford loans? I heard some people people that T.H.E. was good, but what is the consensus on the other lenders??

panda,

I'm sticking with THE. The T1-4's who have recommended them on this board seem pretty adament about it. I think its best to take the advice of someone who has been there before us. They know what they are talking about.

Also,

Someone on another board said they got their fin aid package and their EFC was 30K. WTF? Does that mean what I think it means, that they are expected to finance 30K/year of their tuition on their own? I'm a dead man walking if that happens to me.

For current students...

Lets assume I get no scholarships/grants/free money. Tuition is 45K. Lets say I need 15K to survive a year in NO (unlikely but I can make it stretch if I need to). Do you think I have a chance at getting 60K/yr in fin aid?

Also,

Someone on another board said they got their fin aid package and their EFC was 30K. WTF? Does that mean what I think it means, that they are expected to finance 30K/year of their tuition on their own? I'm a dead man walking if that happens to me.

For current students...

Lets assume I get no scholarships/grants/free money. Tuition is 45K. Lets say I need 15K to survive a year in NO (unlikely but I can make it stretch if I need to). Do you think I have a chance at getting 60K/yr in fin aid?

That doesn't mean really anything for financial aid as far as what they give you, I was worried about the same thing last year. Tulane gives you loans for tuition, and all living expenses, they take all those things into account when determining your aid packages. You will receive around 60k for tuition and all other costs.

Also,

For current students...

The school has a set max it can give you in your Fin Aid package in terms of federal loans/grants/scholarships. That total is based on what the school has decided is the "Cost of Attendance" for that year. The Cost of Attendance includes tuition, fees, and allotments for rent, travel, books, insurance, etc.

If you need more than that max or you don't get the max, there are private loans you can supplement with. They tend to have higher interest rates in general but can be a life saver (ie they are financing a portion of my wedding!).

In general I believe the Cost of Attendance is pretty fair (it is around 60Kish, I think). They increased it post-Katrina to reflect increased rents/cost of living. If you are coming into Tulane w/o significant debt such as credit cards or a huge car payment on your Escalade, I think generally you should be OK.

I do still highly recommend T.H.E. lenders and I bet you could call them and ask someone the same question and see specifically what type of loans they'd have to offer in that situation. I called just the other day and got a real live human being in oh about 30 seconds.

Good luck!!

Ill be using Key Bank- ive been using them since college and they agreed to consolidate all my loans into their locked interest rates when i was in college (somewhere around 5% or so) since ive been a valued customer.