Tulane Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any idea when we'll be getting our orientation packets and financial award letters?

No idea! But I would imagine really, really soon.

Can any current Tulane students give me an idea of what the orientation weekend is like? I REALLY want my significant other to be there for the weekend (he may or may not stay for the white coat ceremony), but I don't want to invite him or my family not knowing what exactly goes on. Do I have to ditch them for most of the weekend or could my man participate in the festivities? I know there is a family BBQ one of the evenings... but I need more info!! Help!!

Members don't see this ad.

No idea! But I would imagine really, really soon.

Can any current Tulane students give me an idea of what the orientation weekend is like? I REALLY want my significant other to be there for the weekend (he may or may not stay for the white coat ceremony), but I don't want to invite him or my family not knowing what exactly goes on. Do I have to ditch them for most of the weekend or could my man participate in the festivities? I know there is a family BBQ one of the evenings... but I need more info!! Help!!

I think your SO should come! A lot of people have friends/family/SO. There's a family BBQ and also tubing, I think one day was pretty free, our white coat was on Monday and after that we jumped right in. Here's an idea of what our first week was like: http://www.som.tulane.edu/classware/t1/f06/index.html

Anyone have any idea when we'll be getting our orientation packets and financial award letters?

Your packets should be on their way. You need to make sure you have filled out the FAFSA and the financial aid addendum. Financial aid is finishing up the summer school stuff now and then will work on incoming student stuff (per Donna in financial aid yesterday)

Members don't see this ad :)
you can just PM me with your full name and where you go to school and Ill send an invite. cant believe it, onyl 2 more months then we take the deep plunge! :eek:

If any of you incoming students is well-versed in the smashing arts and would benefit from an outlet to release some med school tension, I just wanted to throw out a shameless plug for the Tulane Med Rugby team.

Most of the ruggers are of the "I played high school football but wasn't good enough for college ball, but I like to smash stuff" ilk. But anybody willing and able to run around a field and huck their body around is encouraged to apply.

If you've ever seen rugby on TV and thought "Huh, that looks pretty frigging awesome, I wonder what that'd be like?" then go out and play. In addition to built-in friendships, you get to drink beer and sing naughty songs after matches. That and you get to beat up on undergrads. You'll see the posters for the team when you get to school in the summer.

One of the biggest things I'll miss about Tulane...

I think your SO should come! A lot of people have friends/family/SO. There's a family BBQ and also tubing, I think one day was pretty free, our white coat was on Monday and after that we jumped right in. Here's an idea of what our first week was like: http://www.som.tulane.edu/classware/t1/f06/index.html

I am pretty sure your SO can come on the tubing trip, you just have to pay their way (I want to say it was $20ish, including lunch). They'll probably tell you that whenever you get the orientation packet.

Also, while I'm procrastinating (why aren't we done yet?)... Kai and I and several other almost-T2s will be around this summer, so if any of you guys come down to check out housing or something, let us know and we'll show you a good time. Not a good time like Kai is going to say I meant, though. I save that for his dad.

Another also: someone PLEASE sublease my house! Thanks.

Found a great place and am looking for a second roommate.

The lowdown:
3 bed/2ba 2500 sq ft
Fully furnished kitchen (HUGE)
Off street parking available though its a nice wide street.
4 blocks from St Charles
1 block from Napoleon (less than 10 minutes to school or virtually anywhere else in New Orleans)

Rent would be $500 and you would be sharing the place with a 3rd year med student and a professional engineer. Can be male or female as long as you are clean. All you would need is your own bed and desk. One room has tons of built in bookcases and dresser (pictures if requested). This place has enough storage to hide a cadre of house cleaning midgets.

Lease would begin July 1st. PM me if you are interested with contact info and I'll get back to you.

I am pretty sure your SO can come on the tubing trip, you just have to pay their way (I want to say it was $20ish, including lunch). They'll probably tell you that whenever you get the orientation packet.

Also, while I'm procrastinating (why aren't we done yet?)... Kai and I and several other almost-T2s will be around this summer, so if any of you guys come down to check out housing or something, let us know and we'll show you a good time. Not a good time like Kai is going to say I meant, though. I save that for his dad.

Another also: someone PLEASE sublease my house! Thanks.

So, Rebectar, I am coming to town June 4-6th to find housing. Are you free to meet up? Anyone free to meet me out somewhere? Also, I am really looking for a place to live, preferably by myself OR if it is reasonably sized, with a bathroom for each of us, and I can live with another girl, then maybe I would live with a roomie. Anyone anyone... oh and I know this has probably come up before, but I couldn't remember from previous posts... what is the story with living in mid-city? Bad idea? Okay idea, depending?

Thanks

any word on financial aid or orientation packets lately? it's nearly june and there's still no signs of them.

They said they would come near the end of May.

-Tuesday, May 29th

Hey All,

Thanks for all your help in the past. I'm on the waitlist, and am coming to a point where I need to make a decision on what to do next fall. Do any of you know if we have already past the time when most of the movement occurs? I get the feeling that chances become vanishingly slim in the next couple weeks.

Thanks,

Danger

The consensus seems to be that waitlist movement in the past hasn't been promising (slim to no waitlist movement last year or in the previous years) but that there may be some movement due to students dropping given the slow progress of New orleans, costs, etc..... Good luck with the waitlists

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,

Thanks for all your help in the past. I'm on the waitlist, and am coming to a point where I need to make a decision on what to do next fall. Do any of you know if we have already past the time when most of the movement occurs? I get the feeling that chances become vanishingly slim in the next couple weeks.

Thanks,

Danger

Someone in my class got the call the day before orientation started (as they were driving to attend orientation at another school). What you have is waitlisted people waiting on other waitlisted people.

Hey guys,

so I called the admissions office on friday to ask about the orientation/welcome package, and they said that we should actually receive it in mid June. So, first it was mid May, the end of May, and now mid June.

As far as the fin aid stuff, it depends on when you sent it in.

Does anyone know if we can change lenders once we get there?

What are people sending in for their pictures? Goofy ones? semi goofy ones? serious ones where you're in a suit?

Since I can't use the reply button properly, everyone can take a look at the picture I'm using...

Just a regular face shot.

Thanks Jules.

Entertaining start to my day.:laugh:

well guys, i am withdrawing from tulane today....

i wanted to let you all know that my place in new orleans will be up for rent in july. this place is awesome and my landlord is the BEST (it is SO hard to find an honest landlord in new orleans). her daughter lives upstairs, so whenever things need to be fixed, they are always quick to act. the house was completely renovated last summer. it is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath in broadmoor (which is in the uptown/fountainbleu area). rent is $1100/month (awesome price). hardwood floors, central a/h, new appliances, washer/dryer. the best part - you can get to the med center in 5 minutes if you take south broad to tulane avenue. pm me if you are interested or want more info!

Last edited:
1BR available in 2BR/1BA apt.
Share with female Tulane T3
Large kitchen,Living Room Dining Room, Balcony, Hardwood Floors, W/D, Sunny, Second Floor (important in the war against nola pests!)
Second and Magazine, Nola, 10310

Available August 1

PM me w/ info about you if interested

hey all, i was on the tulane som website tonight and they've now got a class specific page for us with info stuff. looks like a web version of the packet we're supposed to get this month.

http://www.som.tulane.edu/admissions/entering_class_07/

edit a few hours later: yep all the orientation stuff! very exciting!

also a link to the tentative fall daily schedule:
http://www.som.tulane.edu/classware/t1/f07/index.html

after some of y'all get thru all the stuff, see if you agree with my reading that we do NOT need a physical prior to matriculation as long as we have all our immunization records current.

thanks

its gettin close guys! i need to get as much boozin in as possible b4 i get there.

Thats quite a long "pregame", since I tend to believe our best drinking days are ahead of us :)

Okay, I am a little bit anal when it comes to being ontime, so with the forms I do not have a permanent address yet so should I still fill the forms out and send them in? I am not sure when I will get final confimation of my address. I guess I am so excited about school I can't control myself...

Thanks for indulging me...

its nice that we got some more info, i was just curious about somethings...

-for the white coat sizing, do you think the measurement is to be taken across the chest...it wasnt mentioned otherwise, dont want to be swimming in my white coat

-has anyone heard about when we are going to get our email addresses? they were mentioned as a way to check billing and so forth, but i havent seen anything about them...

thanks for the help, definitely cant wait until august rolls around!

For the white coats, I don't know exactly how you're supposed to measure. Just make a guess, and if it doesn't fit, you'll be able to exchange it for the right size after the White Coat ceremony. Kai just had his hemmed, because it dragged on the ground.

Okay, I am a little bit anal when it comes to being ontime, so with the forms I do not have a permanent address yet so should I still fill the forms out and send them in? I am not sure when I will get final confimation of my address. I guess I am so excited about school I can't control myself...

Thanks for indulging me...

Don't worry - just say "same" as your permanent address. Later you can always change it online at the registration site called TOUR that Tulane uses. It's okay to be anal... it's important to keep on your toes! Just don't let it suck away the fun and you're set.

-Erin

I'd just guess large to be safe ;)

its nice that we got some more info, i was just curious about somethings...

-for the white coat sizing, do you think the measurement is to be taken across the chest...it wasnt mentioned otherwise, dont want to be swimming in my white coat

-has anyone heard about when we are going to get our email addresses? they were mentioned as a way to check billing and so forth, but i havent seen anything about them...

thanks for the help, definitely cant wait until august rolls around!

If you are a male, it is no different than a suit coat size. You will get a coat that is S, M, L, XL, etc...you can exchange it for a sized one in the bookstore if necessary.

If you are a male, it is no different than a suit coat size. You will get a coat that is S, M, L, XL, etc...you can exchange it for a sized one in the bookstore if necessary.

I went into the bookstore today and tried em on, the one that was supposed to be my coat size was a BIT too fitted...I ended up going a size up.

I went into the bookstore today and tried em on, the one that was supposed to be my coat size was a BIT too fitted...I ended up going a size up.

As for the email. You will get that the day after the white coat ceremony along with a crapload of other things.

can we get into the gym before registration, or do we have to wait until after to use it?

So im about to order a set of scrubs, what do the numbers next to the sizes correspond to? What colors are folks here getting? Im sad there are no transparent scrubs :(

So im about to order a set of scrubs, what do the numbers next to the sizes correspond to? What colors are folks here getting? Im sad there are no transparent scrubs :(

hahahaha...see, this is why i'm sad we won't be classmates! :)

braluk, i think you look good in pink. brings out the color in your eyes. go for it!

Anatomy lab requires salmon colored scrubs for the guys and patterned nurses tops for the ladies. Ladies are required to have themed tops for all holidays.

So i tentatively booked my flight for June 26th-June 29th, anyone know of any cheap hotels in the area I could stay there?

Anatomy lab requires salmon colored scrubs for the guys and patterned nurses tops for the ladies. Ladies are required to have themed tops for all holidays.

If you want me to wear themed patterned tops on holidays, then you men are going to have to do it too. Equal opportunity humiliation.

Check out this link to enoy pondering our future. Anyone here want to go to Australia with me?
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21903069-953,00.html

As for scrubs sizes, just guess large. ALWAYS guess large. If you have NO idea where you may fall, you can go to a scrubs website online and check out their sizing charts to see approximately where you fall in general. Another option is to go to your local uniform store and try on nurse uniforms to see what size you are... those sizes are the same as scrubs sizes. I am 5'9" and lean so I go for medium and hope hope hope that the pants will be long enough. Worst-case scenario: I'll cut up a pair and use the material to "elongate" the other pants! That's right - if you see my ghetto scrubs, a compliment is in order.

To anyone who knows the New Orleans area: is it worth it live near the street car line in order to take it to the med school? Where does it stop and in what areas would you need to live to take it?

I hear pretty much you'll need a car. I probably won't have one for the first semester so I'll either be biking or taking the Tulane shuttle. Then most likely Ill get my car during the second semester

To anyone who knows the New Orleans area: is it worth it live near the street car line in order to take it to the med school? Where does it stop and in what areas would you need to live to take it?

No! if you tried that everyday sometimes you might end up on time, others hours late. It's not exactly speedy, and considering most of it is still down anyway, it wouldn't really help you.

Bus schedules are also more suggestions than set things. My advice: Live in Deming, or buy a car!

I hear pretty much you'll need a car. I probably won't have one for the first semester so I'll either be biking or taking the Tulane shuttle. Then most likely Ill get my car during the second semester

Where does the Tulane shuttle stop? Do you know its route?

Where does the Tulane shuttle stop? Do you know its route?

http://www.som.tulane.edu/shuttle.html

EDIT: Theres also a shopping shuttle but I dont know any info on when it runs. As far as the above intercampus shuttle I can tell you that its not the most reliable transport...they're often late and sometimes they dont do all the stops....for no reason at all (from what I can tell).

Going from the med school to Reily generally takes 45 to an hour.

So i tentatively booked my flight for June 26th-June 29th, anyone know of any cheap hotels in the area I could stay there?

I've stayed at the quality inn on O'Keefe. Its an average place with generally cheap rates. Its about 3 or 4 blocks from the med school.