Tulane Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when are we going to receive more info from the school? All I got was the MD/MPH stuff...

Would you guys mind posting if you get anything in the mail from Tulane? Orientation stuff, financial aid, housing info...anything at all. My mailman has about a 30% success rate (which works out to my advantage when I receive my neighbor's Sports Illustrated) so I just want to make sure I'm not missing any important stuff. Thanks.

I personally like not living with someone in my same class. It's nice to get away from med stuff for awhile. I live with a law student which works well because we have similar student lifestyles (oh except he pretty much never studies) but I don't have to talk about medicine 24 hours a day...just 22 or so. I recommend at least living with someone in a different year.

Or you can do like Kai and room with those guys that sleep in front of Walgreen's.

To answer Braluk's question, yes bectar has tried to sleep with me (repeatedly), but I of course have delcined because the doctor won't give me a big enough penicillin shot to ensure my safety.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone just get that MD/MPH email?

A more serious Question: how much more in loans is the MPH? Its somewhere on the order of another 40,000 right? Is it worth pursuing? I will have a M.S. in Physiology after this year and see how a masters maybe beneficial and provides for a great education and although MPH might seem pretty interesting will it be worth the money and time?

A more serious Question: how much more in loans is the MPH? Its somewhere on the order of another 40,000 right? Is it worth pursuing? I will have a M.S. in Physiology after this year and see how a masters maybe beneficial and provides for a great education and although MPH might seem pretty interesting will it be worth the money and time?

not sure about the price...

but as for whether or not its beneficial, it depends a lot on what specialties you're considering (in my opinion at least).... I was strongly considering it for a while, but I am 98% sure I want to specialize in some sort of surgery. In such a case I don't think the MPH boosts your desirability to residency programs as time spent on the MPH would take away from research time as well as various electives etc. If other fields are on your mind chances are the MPH certainly would look good, and teach you some valuable information you'll actually have a chance to use. But for the more competitive specialties I feel that efforts are better directed towards other areas.

It should be to the Abita Springs Brewery. :thumbup: :laugh:

Oooo, that would be good. I live in Chicago and drink Abita (strange, I know). Good stuff.

I think they went rafting/tubing last year... I could also be pulling this out of where the sun don't shine...

When will we finally receive more information about the school/dates/price? We haven't gotten anything!

And who's still waiting to send in their check?

Thanks for posting that.

I got it too. There is no way I am going to do the MPH. Forget about the price, I am concerned about the time committment. There is no way I have to complete a masters while I am in med school. No way at all. Plus I would like to enjoy a few of my summers over the next 4 years.

Oooo, that would be good. I live in Chicago and drink Abita (strange, I know). Good stuff.

I think they went rafting/tubing last year... I could also be pulling this out of where the sun don't shine...

When will we finally receive more information about the school/dates/price? We haven't gotten anything!

Im still waiting to send mine in, will probably send it after spring break or sometime soon. I heard about the rafting thing too- I think its time I get to the gym even more than I do now :laugh:

Have you guys sent in Fafsa yet? When is it due? How about the supplementary tulane forms that go along with fafsa?

Im still waiting to send mine in, will probably send it after spring break or sometime soon. I heard about the rafting thing too- I think its time I get to the gym even more than I do now :laugh:

Have you guys sent in Fafsa yet? When is it due? How about the supplementary tulane forms that go along with fafsa?
i'm trying to fill mine out right now. do we have to fill out the parental info section?

The parental info determines your EFC correct? In which case, yes you should flil that out.

I could complain about having to put down my parent's financial information until the end of time.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ooh Chicago! I love that city, I went to Northwestern :D

Hey can we bring this back on topic and continue to talk about me now? thanks :D haha just playing- who else is from the northeast here and cannot wait to finally live up in the duuuuurtttyyy south? I just stepped outside and its like 10 degrees here in Ohio and saw that NO is around 70ish. Cant wait

I could complain about having to put down my parent's financial information until the end of time.

You only have to put down your parent's info if they claim you as a dependent I think. I do not put mine down. Now you have to put it down on the Tulane secondary, but not FAFSA.

Hey can we bring this back on topic and continue to talk about me now? thanks :D

you were OBVIOUSLY an only child... :rolleyes: haha.... :laugh: oh yes, it will be a fun time when school starts.....

the weather IS awesome right now!!! BUT beware of the miserable heat and humidity in the summer....you're going to melt!!!

...in more important news, i was pleasantly surprised to find that the bulldog was giving out new fleur-de-lis glasses last night...they now have a variety of colors (in addition to the boring white), including red and yellow. however, the beer inside was an even better treat than the glass itself! :)

oh yeah, FAFSA....i should get on that......
*continues to browse SDN....*

about the MPH....i talked to a second year about it last night....and he said it was great if you want to do something related to policy one day. considering my interests focus on clinical work and research...and since i already have a master's degree, i think i'm going to pass....but i think it's a great opportunity...

Haha nope, I have a younger brother in college. In fact, I usually dont like being in the center of attn having been in one as an older brother "paving the way". I just know one day my brother is goin to resent me for occasionally being called "Oh you're Brandon's brother."

I think I should be ok with the heat. I dont know if Ill be staying in NO during the summertime.

Hey everyone,

I posted about the possibility of our apt being available and got the go ahead from our landlord to advertise. So....here's the pitch!:

-------------
We are moving in May and would like to let other med students know about our apartment – we love it and would like to keep it in the med school if possible (so would our landlord). The lease would be for June 1 (or around there, we’ll be moving out after graduation on May 19) through July 31 2008.

Info is below:

2 BR/1 BA located on Hurst St, 2 blocks riverside of St Charles between State and Nashville. No flooding or storm damage at all (in fact the landlord stayed behind and cleaned out our fridge for us!) and very safe, quiet location (off duty NOPD cop patrols the area in a car. Not a college student area so not sketchy at all). Carpets in both bedrooms and hallway (new when we moved in) and hardwood floors in living room and dining room. Apartment was freshly painted when we moved in. REAL windows with more than a single pane of glass that are pretty new, central air/heat, kitchen has marble countertops (also new when we came) with dishwasher, garbage disposal, stacked washer/dryer, and pretty new electric glass cook top stove that works great. 2 large closets in bedrooms, one of which is a walk-in. Access to backyard courtyard with grill. Very bright and sunny throughout. Place is very insulated - landlord lives above and you don’t hear them, and it has also kept energy costs down. Plenty of off-street parking as this block is never congested. Only 4 blocks from Audubon Park and short walk to the shops and restaurants on Magazine. 10-15 minute (15 with the worst Am traffic, maybe only 7 mins at 4am!) drive to the med school. Landlord loves this place so as soon as anything breaks he fixes it, and he keeps it in great condition. Only rules: landlord prefers couples and girls (I think he had a bad experience w/ 2 previous guy renters), no pets, no kids, no smokers.

Rent is $1600 - if you think that's alot, it's not really bad given the post-Katrina price jack-up, and like I said this place is quality.

Interested? Email my fiance at [email protected].

good luck! :)

For those interested in the summer histology course:

It will be offered this summer. I'm in the process of hunting down more info on financial aid. If you want an application for the course contact Shannon Dawsey at [email protected] and give her your address. I assume more information will be included in that mailing. I remember reading some time ago about the price for the course, it was something on the order of 3k. The start date was May 31st and final July 15th. Not sure how outdated that information was though. I'll keep y'all posted.

braluk,

I have some pics I can email to you - PM me your email address and I'll send them along!

Hey guys,
I haven't posted anywhere yet, but I wanted to say that I will most likely be joining the class of 2011 at Tulane!!! Anyone else excited????
Panda2

I think I should be ok with the heat. I dont know if Ill be staying in NO during the summertime.

Just an important fyi, the heat isn't only a summer thang in nawlins. It stays hot until around halloween and is usually hot by now (though its been oddly cool this year). You only really get a few weeks of pretty weather on either end of the season change and then the rest is humid icky misery. You adjust but the first few weeks of it are pretty miserable for newcomers.

I think ill be miserable for a little while. Having lived in the bitter cold for all my life, I get pretty hot pretty quickly. I think it should be ok though :)

speaking of the heat... is there any sort of dress code at the school (eg business casual)... or do they not care how we dress. just curious.

speaking of the heat... is there any sort of dress code at the school (eg business casual)... or do they not care how we dress. just curious.

no way....only on days you see patients, but otherwise completely casual is fine

Actually yes. Friday is banana hammock and flip flops day.

So its 70 degrees here in Ohio for some strange reason and if this is the weather you guys have during the winter, im going to be extremely happy for a while

Actually yes. Friday is banana hammock and flip flops day.

As are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, when you're a preclinical student. Some people even wear their pj's to class. There are only two dress code requirements: 1) scrubs in anatomy lab, and 2) professional dress when you see patients (whether standardized or real).

And I think even the scrubs may be optional--you just have to wear something you don't mind getting cadaver on.

So, I only own one suit. Do I need to go to Kohl's/the Men's Warehouse and buy more?

Not unless you want to. I only wore my suit for special occasions. For seeing patients, I just wore some nice pants and a dress shirt + white coat.

You guys notice that Tulane is one of the most popular threads in the class lists? :D

It's probably because a certain T2 is lurking around snickering at the mean things Kai says about me (you know who you are)... And for the record, while I do constantly try to sleep with Kai, it's only so I can add "Guy with ridiculous amounts of hair product" to my list. "Teacher running around like a deadhead on mushrooms" is next...;) Plus I saw Kai's Wii today and it totally did not live up to the hype.

To actually say something useful and true, yeah a lot of MPH is policy/admin-oriented, but Trop Med is very clinical - plus this is the only place in the country you can get a Trop Med degree. And they try very hard to work out the schedule so it's not a burden. I think about a third of the class is MD/MPH each year, so it's definitely doable.

It's probably because a certain T2 is lurking around snickering at the mean things Kai says about me (you know who you are)... And for the record, while I do constantly try to sleep with Kai, it's only so I can add "Guy with ridiculous amounts of hair product" to my list. "Teacher running around like a deadhead on mushrooms" is next...;) Plus I saw Kai's Wii today and it totally did not live up to the hype.

To actually say something useful and true, yeah a lot of MPH is policy/admin-oriented, but Trop Med is very clinical - plus this is the only place in the country you can get a Trop Med degree. And they try very hard to work out the schedule so it's not a burden. I think about a third of the class is MD/MPH each year, so it's definitely doable.

The Trop med degree is for dirty dirty hippies and loose women, so I guess rebectar gets bonus points.

How convenient you guys post 30 minuets apart on a friday night ;)

looks like someone is spending the night over the other's apartment ;)

hahaha! i love how you always insist on calling them out!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: this one seriously made me laugh out loud.

what is everyone doing about getting a car? buy one in your home state and drive it there? or buy one after you move. i'm guessing that the first option allows you to keep your home state driver's license while the latter would require a switch to LA state license.

Im not entirely sure, I have to take out a loan to buy a damn car too. I think it would probably be more cost effective for me to buy it in new orleans so I dont have to plan on driving it all the way down with the gas prices & hotel stay.

Who wouldn't want to spend a night in the lovely Deming Pavilion?

And speaking of cars...a freaking pothole ripped off half my exhaust system today...Kai will you come fix it? My poor little Hyundai sounds like PatPat's truck now.

what is everyone doing about getting a car? buy one in your home state and drive it there? or buy one after you move. i'm guessing that the first option allows you to keep your home state driver's license while the latter would require a switch to LA state license.

You can buy/lease/whatever a car in LA without having to get a LA state license. I would recommend getting something that can survive the potholes.

i matched!! :D

Today was the day when they told us if we matched. Thursday they tell us where, so future class of 2011 keep us in your thought that day!

Congrats to the other 4th yrs that post here! :clap:

Congrats!!! no scramble for you! Check the front page of SDN out, I wrote an article wishing good luck to all matching students ESPECIALLY TULANE ALUM! Im glad that it worked out for you :hardy: :)

I met a girl tonight. I think she has changed my world forever.

:love:

crazy_face.jpg