Tufts MBS 2010-2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone in the current MBS program know if those who are taking this program for dental school get to take classes at the dental school or is it at the medical school still?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone in the current MBS program know if those who are taking this program for dental school get to take classes at the dental school or is it at the medical school still?

i believe the courses are taken at the Sackler school of graduate biomedical sciences, which is adjacent to NEMC, and the dental school is right there too.

none of the courses are actually taken with the medical or dental students, so i'm not sure why you ask.

i believe the courses are taken at the Sackler school of graduate biomedical sciences, which is adjacent to NEMC, and the dental school is right there too.

none of the courses are actually taken with the medical or dental students, so i'm not sure why you ask.

I knew that you didn't take them with the med or dental students but I wanted to see if med and dental candidates took the same classes or if there was some variation depending on what you wanted to do.Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew that you didn't take them with the med or dental students but I wanted to see if med and dental candidates took the same classes or if there was some variation depending on what you wanted to do.Thanks!

oh i see, its the same program for everyone, except i believe 1 or 2 elective courses. it shouldn't be an issue though because 1st year dental school is very similar to 1st year med school.

Honestly it hasn't been my experience that SMP people at least in my program have done about average in the preclinicals. There are about 5-6 SMP people in our program and none of them are in the top 1/6 of the class, but in my experience, none of them are struggling either. Our averages for accepted students were 3.8/34 or so if I remember the data correctly from this cycle, so I imagine they had good credentials coming in. I don't know if doing a SMP at the host program would give you a big leg up but maybe it does.

ah I see. yeah someone once told me the SMP kids at USF were in the middle of the class at USF from some of the previous years SMP kids there who did their own SMP program. not sure how the Gtowners that ended up there faired in terms of class rank.

These types of questions are always more complex and hard to answer, but i figured i'd ask and see if anyone has any feedback; what would you recommend between Drexel's IMS and Tufts MBS programs? I can't decide between the two. Ultimately, my goal is to go to an MD school, so i ask the question with that particular focus, please provide whatever feedback you can!

These types of questions are always more complex and hard to answer, but i figured i'd ask and see if anyone has any feedback; what would you recommend between Drexel's IMS and Tufts MBS programs? I can't decide between the two. Ultimately, my goal is to go to an MD school, so i ask the question with that particular focus, please provide whatever feedback you can!

I don't think you will find many - of those willing to share their opinion on SDN - who will recommend Drexel over Tufts, despite Tufts' newness

read through the old Drexel threads. individual accounts turned me off enough to not even want to apply

During my time here on these boards has made me look negatively towards Drexel based off of personal accounts of students who have went through their programs as apparently Klmnop has also read.

There are a few who have had success stories going through Drexel that frequent this section like cornflakeschkn but in general, the impression I've gotten is that Drexel creates many programs that have a very low efficacy on actually getting back into their own medical school but more for the money. One example in my opinion is how the MSP program is purely meant to make one eligible for IMS which is a cutthroat type curriculum with nothing promised other than a guaranteed interview (carrot on a stick analogy comes to mind).

Their DPMS with the conditional acceptance is in my opinion a more favorable one but they accept very few students in and mostly only URMs. Tufts is a more reputable medical school and imho (just a third party spectator, so hold my input with a grain of salt) holds their students in a higher regard. Though most people don't have any issues with that, I'm slightly perturbed at how IMS students are prohibited from stepping foot in the Queen's lane campus and have to listen through live video feeds.

have to listen through live video feeds.

agreed
interestingly enough i just started a thread about video-feed med schools (not smp)... a dilemma in which i currently find myself

I am in line with jslo and klmnop in my opinion of Drexel IMS/MMS/MSP programs.

I applied there last year to please my parents and brother since he was in philly but am honestly gland I didn't. There is a guy who did Tulane ACP this year and got into Tulane. Prior to that he did IMS and he said IMS at Drexel was horrible. So did other fellow Drexel IMSers.

I've seen the facilities and to tell you the truth, THEY SUCK!!! That area of philly is so much more ghetto then the part of town in Boston where BUSM or TUSM are.

Both Tufts and BU are way better and better reputed schools.

Tufts is a new program BUT..................

Their records are already rising in terms of where people are getting in. I didn't even see USF my old school listed as a place where people got in for med school on the Drexel website whereas Tufts and BU both have sent people back to Fl. schools including my old school, USF. And that is just one example. Of all the websites they seemed to list the lowest percentage for percent who actually had success rates.

i.e. 65 vs. 75-85% elsewhere.

The having no right to step into the other campus also was a turn off. They just don't have the support system that BUSM or TUSM or other schools have.

I would go to Tufts over it any day. And boston is a great city. i can say that now that I live here.

agreed
interestingly enough i just started a thread about video-feed med schools (not smp)... a dilemma in which i currently find myself

On a different thread, someone mentioned for Tufts that: "True that most of the classes are in person - but some of the Tufts MBS classes/review sessions are taught by video as well (e.g. immuno) and I did not see this as a barrier to my learning."

I'm having a hard time choosing between BU and Tufts at the moment, because they're looking more and more identical (~15 minutes apart from each other physically too). :confused: Does anyone have any particular comments about how Tufts classes are/what they like or don't like about the academics or the school?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses!!!

just out of curiosity, realistically, is it too late to apply to the program? from reading the thread, i know there are still "40" spots left, but it'll probably take me another week to put my apps together.

also, how big is the class each year?

Members don't see this ad :)
In my honest opinion the Drexel DPMS is the golden ticket between these programs. I have gotten into the Tuft program, but if accepted into the DPMS program, I am picking Drexel in a heart beat. You can't beat provisional acceptance can you? It is almost too good to be true. I think if given the opportunity all of you would choose that option too. I mean all of our ultimate goals is to become a doctor right?

Also, I think Philly is a pretty sweet city.

The IMS on the other hand, well that is a whole different story.

just out of curiosity, realistically, is it too late to apply to the program? from reading the thread, i know there are still "40" spots left, but it'll probably take me another week to put my apps together.

I think you're going to be fine if you apply now, since they've told me multiple times that they look at applications until July.

When choosing between schools, I asked about that too! The class size this year is going to be 100 people, according to the admissions office :)

well that's only for disadvantaged/URM students. In that case, I think GEMS, MedPath, or the Wake program would be preferable...

In my honest opinion the Drexel DPMS is the golden ticket between these programs. I have gotten into the Tuft program, but if accepted into the DPMS program, I am picking Drexel in a heart beat. You can't beat provisional acceptance can you? It is almost too good to be true. I think if given the opportunity all of you would choose that option too. I mean all of our ultimate goals is to become a doctor right?

Also, I think Philly is a pretty sweet city.

The IMS on the other hand, well that is a whole different story.

Thank you for your input drizz, but I believe the debate was between the Drexel DPMS and the Tufts MBS. Which, I think most would choose the DPMS if given the chance. However, the programs you listed are definitely fantastic programs, but like I said, the ultimate goal is to become a physician. You just need one to become apart of your success story.

Thank you for your input drizz, but I believe the debate was between the Drexel DPMS and the Tufts MBS. Which, I think most would choose the DPMS if given the chance. However, the programs you listed are definitely fantastic programs, but like I said, the ultimate goal is to become a physician. You just need one to become apart of your success story.

Actually the debate was between the IMS and the Tufts MBS, in which case I don't believe there's any question Tufts is a better choice.

ms08bayo said:

No i think that was your debate. Please see Dritz's other post. the original poster asked about IMS NOT DPMS.

And IMS IS THE SUCK compared to BU MAMS or Tufts MBS. i'm glad i got rejected from IMS because my parents were trying to push me to go there for the cheaper costs and truthfully I didn't want to go after all I've heard from students on here and the support at BU is way better.

The support at Tufts is way better.

As per the Tufts vs. BU its a tough one.

Bleargh,

Can you comment on this?

I know that a lot of my classmates had to make this decision between the 2 and ended choosing BU MAMS because of its longer standing reputation. However, I think Tufts is gaining the reputation and ground really fast that it needs to succeed and its as strong of a school as BU med that people are fast recognizing its reputation and taking a chance on kids who come out of this program because they know what Tufts is as a medical school which helps its case. I've heard the program is very, very strong. I know Bleargh has stated that he has absolute respect for the program and thought it more intense in some ways then our own.

But I think our program at BU is also great. I can't say the two are that different except one is newer. But both schools being in par with the same reputation will get recognized at different schools. Already my Fl. schools have accepted people from Tufts as have several others. See the list some pages back on this thread. It might be like page 4 or 5. There you will see where people have gotten into med school since its started.

anyone know if it looks bad to send the deposit in and hold your spot but then withdraw later? i dont want to send in a deposit for the smp and withdraw if it looks bad on me later on. but then again, i dont want to not send in the deposit and find out later that i got rejected from every where else.
generally speaking, especially if the smp is your state school, wouldnt withdrawing look bad when youre actually applying to medical school? i dont mind losing the 100 dollar deposit or w/e each school requires.

anyone know if it looks bad to send the deposit in and hold your spot but then withdraw later? i dont want to send in a deposit for the smp and withdraw if it looks bad on me later on. but then again, i dont want to not send in the deposit and find out later that i got rejected from every where else.
generally speaking, especially if the smp is your state school, wouldnt withdrawing look bad when youre actually applying to medical school? i dont mind losing the 100 dollar deposit or w/e each school requires.

the med school has no access to your smp file and vice versa. it cannot look bad upon you unless you have to apply again at a later date. even then probably not all too much because they are aware that the purpose of the program is for those close to admission, to gain admission. getting off a waitlist is a large possibility for most admittants (if thats not a word it should be)

Is anyone planning to attend the open house this Thursday? If so, will someone provide us out-of-towners with a summary of what goes on?

Thanks!!

Waitlisted today. I also got a housing spot at RFU for the BMS program today which is pretty hard to come by. I don't know what to do at this point.

just went to the open house yesterday
if you didn't go and you have questions direct them here

When is the next one?

Last edited:
When is the next one?

i believe that was the only one. though if you contact one of the administrators i'm sure they would be able to arrange something for you like a tour and a meeting if you were willing to make the trip.... they were very friendly and helpful people and i'm sure they could suggest something.

just went to the open house yesterday
if you didn't go and you have questions direct them here

Hey klmnop,

Perhaps you could just give your general impressions of the program/staff/support. Do you feel more comfortable with attending the program after the open house? Did they suggest any specific schools to apply to while in the program, that may favor the MBS program? Things of that nature.

Thanks!

Hey klmnop,

Perhaps you could just give your general impressions of the program/staff/support. Do you feel more comfortable with attending the program after the open house? Did they suggest any specific schools to apply to while in the program, that may favor the MBS program? Things of that nature.

Thanks!

Having been to the open house it reaffirmed all things positive I had heard about the program and it most definitely was a positive experience that I'm certain sealed the deal for many students still deciding (based on conversations I had). The staff wee extremely friendly and former/current students reassured us that they remained this friendly and helpful throughout the entire year. Moreover, each of the students that were there to share their experiences had only positive things to say in general, about the atmosphere, coursework, and the potential and proven success. While the did not suggest any specific schools they listed off the schools that students had recently gotten accepted to, and I didn't notice many differences from the lists posted earlier in this thread.

Basically the experience started with an info session followed by a Q&A, where the faculty director discussed the purpose, the courses specifically, the student schedule, and the extracurricular/thesis opportunities that most students take advantage of. Next was an optional tour and I was very impressed with the facilities. Most, if not all, things seemed to be new within the last 5 years, clean, and readily accessible. For any of those wavering or deciding between a few, based on this open house I would most definitely recommend tufts and I would be confident that my hard work would pay large dividends.

Is anyone planning to attend the open house this Thursday? If so, will someone provide us out-of-towners with a summary of what goes on?

Thanks!!

I went to the open house this Thursday, and basically, the program director just told us everything that was already listed on the website, and people's questions were all covered already in this thread. The guy said that the 08 class had a 80% matriculation rate to dental/med schools, and recommended doing the program for two years, but said that many finish in one. I think most of the other questions were about how to get into the program. The only thing that was kinda "iffy" for me was the fact that the program director was the person who will be writing "committee" letters for all 100 students, and does this just based on reading your other LOR's. I don't know how good a job he will do if he has to write 100 of them and doesn't really know you personally.

The tour, however was nice, basically, you take courses in 3 buildings, and they spent quite a bit of time showing off their newly renovated building (forgot the name :p). All 3 buildings are within a block of each other, and the neighborhood seems clean, but honestly kind of boring for what I expected to be downtown Boston.

They really sold me on that newly renovated building though... All the nice new furniture and study rooms will make studying much less of a pain for me. Plus, they have a GYM in the basement! The whole interior of the building is decorated nicely, with a very modern art feel, and you won't feel like you're trapped in jail, which is what I feel like now in my tiny office shared with 2 other people(I'm a grad student). The Chinatown nearby is not really a Chinatown as it is just a couple of blocks of Asian restaurants.

Oh, the director also said that the curriculum changed for this coming year b/c their med school curriculum also changed. They will have like 3 or 4 courses for the end of Aug-early November, then have 2 mini-courses (not very intensive) from Nov to mid December. They encourage doing volunteering work during that period. Spring semester seemed a little lighter, but with thesis stuff added in there too. There are also MCAT classes available for free via Princeton review in spring. I didn't pay too close attention to exactly which classes are offered because they are all pretty much the same among all the SMP's.

OH! I forgot to add this - Tufts no longer waives any classes taken during their MBS program if you matriculated into Tufts med school afterwards(which, apparently is pretty tough to do anyway; only like 15% get in). I haven't looked at BU yet, but it costs a few $thousand more, and from what people are saying here, will probably be much harder to finish in 1 year, so I'm sticking with Tufts! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist, and to people who are coming to Tufts - See you on Aug 20th!

-JJ

Last edited:

The program director said that they will continue accepting students til the beginning of the program. For people that get wait-listed, he said that the people who got in, but were also waitlisted in Med school might get accepted into Med school, and thereby open up a spot for the people on wait list for the MBS. I finished my app early April, and got accepted a week ago, so they are definitely still taking people.

I haven't looked at BU yet, but it costs a few $thousand more, and from what people are saying here, will probably be much harder to finish in 1 year, so I'm sticking with Tufts! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist, and to people who are coming to Tufts - See you on Aug 20th!

-JJ
completely untrue, and i have no idea who these "people" are.

as far as i know, both can easily be finished in one year, and frequently are, but neither have to be

for both you can complete the required courses during the academic year, and then take the entire summer to do the library thesis.

both schools, however, have a lab thesis option (beneficial to students that have 0 research experience) which cannot/should not be completed in a single summer

the difference in BU and Tufts is that at BU you can opt to arrange your schedule differently to lighten the load and spread it out, but it can be easily arranged like the Tufts mandatory schedule such that completion can be achieved in a full year.

correct?

word.

i still have trouble finding the source of this bizarre rumor about BU.

I went to the open house this Thursday, and basically, the program director just told us everything that was already listed on the website, and people's questions were all covered already in this thread. The guy said that the 08 class had a 80% matriculation rate to dental/med schools, and recommended doing the program for two years, but said that many finish in one. I think most of the other questions were about how to get into the program. The only thing that was kinda "iffy" for me was the fact that the program director was the person who will be writing "committee" letters for all 100 students, and does this just based on reading your other LOR's. I don't know how good a job he will do if he has to write 100 of them and doesn't really know you personally.

The tour, however was nice, basically, you take courses in 3 buildings, and they spent quite a bit of time showing off their newly renovated building (forgot the name :p). All 3 buildings are within a block of each other, and the neighborhood seems clean, but honestly kind of boring for what I expected to be downtown Boston.

They really sold me on that newly renovated building though... All the nice new furniture and study rooms will make studying much less of a pain for me. Plus, they have a GYM in the basement! The whole interior of the building is decorated nicely, with a very modern art feel, and you won't feel like you're trapped in jail, which is what I feel like now in my tiny office shared with 2 other people(I'm a grad student). The Chinatown nearby is not really a Chinatown as it is just a couple of blocks of Asian restaurants.

Oh, the director also said that the curriculum changed for this coming year b/c their med school curriculum also changed. They will have like 3 or 4 courses for the end of Aug-early November, then have 2 mini-courses (not very intensive) from Nov to mid December. They encourage doing volunteering work during that period. Spring semester seemed a little lighter, but with thesis stuff added in there too. There are also MCAT classes available for free via Princeton review in spring. I didn't pay too close attention to exactly which classes are offered because they are all pretty much the same among all the SMP's.

OH! I forgot to add this - Tufts no longer waives any classes taken during their MBS program if you matriculated into Tufts med school afterwards(which, apparently is pretty tough to do anyway; only like 15% get in). I haven't looked at BU yet, but it costs a few $thousand more, and from what people are saying here, will probably be much harder to finish in 1 year, so I'm sticking with Tufts! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist, and to people who are coming to Tufts - See you on Aug 20th!

-JJ

BU CAN AND HAS BEEN COMPLETED IN A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT..........

If you plan on applying the same year as you are doing the program to BUSM chances are you wont get into BU Med that year. The coursework at BU is only 1 year and the thesis can be done as a lib thesis or if you have all the labwork in place from a previous lab and PI agrees you can write your lab thesis and be done in a year.

The only 2 main differences:

1. If you plan on applying to med school while doing the program dont count on a deans letter. You can still obtain individual letters from professors

2. because all you have is fall grades you will likely get late interivews and waitlisted at a lot of places which happens even to Gtown kids quite a bit.

Whereas if you apply the following year you can get the deans letter and prob. earlier interviews and what not and a chance to do lab thesis if you prefer that to lib thesis.

Also keep in mind that if you choose not to take a couple of the med classes and take lighter electives at BU you can and that way have enough of a load to do a lab thesis in a year. A Fl resident in my program did that and got into two florida schools. A few others did too.

Whether you get a 3.8 doing all the med classes or 1 or 2 med classes less then the other people you will still be judged the same from what I have heard from people at BU. So you have flexibility.

But I do agree that financially BU is more expensive and if you want the dean's letter to apply while in the program Tufts will give it.

At BU the Dean's letter also is not just looking at other people's letters but based on what they call the Biosketch where you respond to a bunch of questions that are normally asked on secondaries such as why medicine, to talk about a significant clinical experience in your life, a situation where you were challenged with an ethical dilemma and how you dealt with it, and other information like that along with all your activities that you did in undergrad and postbac if you did one and graduate school if you had previous graduate school. They ask about your volunteer activities, research experiences, etc. They also ask about who influenced you out of your family and other questions of that nature.

So you gave them a very strong insight into who you are. The persons who write your dean's letter are the dean and your adivsor.

I also recently heard from someone at BU that one of the advisors at BU was instrumental at setting up Tufts program which is why they have so many similarities in the program at BU.

Do not be under the impression that the degree itself cannot be done in one year because IT CAN!!! However, don't count on getting in BUSM in one year. And if you are decently well off you may get into your home state schools within the year or elsewhere as there were a few who had interviews elsewhere this year

Oh and at BU you don't have to repeat classes that are med classes where you get an A if you get in ultimately.

That all said, I will say the Tufts program is also up and rising and a great program. And if for financial reasons you choose to go to Tufts I can understand. But don't assume you cant be done in a year with the degree and use that as an excuse not to go there. Good luck. Both Tufts and BU and Gtown and UCincy and EVMS and RFU are def. the 6 or so programs I would consider the most reputed of the SMPs.

I wish you well.

as far as i know, both can easily be finished in one year, and frequently are, but neither have to be

for both you can complete the required courses during the academic year, and then take the entire summer to do the library thesis.

Both schools, however, have a lab thesis option (beneficial to students that have 0 research experience) which cannot/should not be completed in a single summer

the difference in bu and tufts is that at bu you can opt to arrange your schedule differently to lighten the load and spread it out, but it can be easily arranged like the tufts mandatory schedule such that completion can be achieved in a full year.

Correct?

correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BU CAN AND HAS BEEN COMPLETED IN A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT..........

If you plan on applying the same year as you are doing the program to BUSM chances are you wont get into BU Med that year. The coursework at BU is only 1 year and the thesis can be done as a lib thesis or if you have all the labwork in place from a previous lab and PI agrees you can write your lab thesis and be done in a year.

The only 2 main differences:

1. If you plan on applying to med school while doing the program dont count on a deans letter. You can still obtain individual letters from professors

2. because all you have is fall grades you will likely get late interivews and waitlisted at a lot of places which happens even to Gtown kids quite a bit.

Whereas if you apply the following year you can get the deans letter and prob. earlier interviews and what not and a chance to do lab thesis if you prefer that to lib thesis.

Also keep in mind that if you choose not to take a couple of the med classes and take lighter electives at BU you can and that way have enough of a load to do a lab thesis in a year. A Fl resident in my program did that and got into two florida schools. A few others did too.

Whether you get a 3.8 doing all the med classes or 1 or 2 med classes less then the other people you will still be judged the same from what I have heard from people at BU. So you have flexibility.

But I do agree that financially BU is more expensive and if you want the dean's letter to apply while in the program Tufts will give it.

At BU the Dean's letter also is not just looking at other people's letters but based on what they call the Biosketch where you respond to a bunch of questions that are normally asked on secondaries such as why medicine, to talk about a significant clinical experience in your life, a situation where you were challenged with an ethical dilemma and how you dealt with it, and other information like that along with all your activities that you did in undergrad and postbac if you did one and graduate school if you had previous graduate school. They ask about your volunteer activities, research experiences, etc. They also ask about who influenced you out of your family and other questions of that nature.

So you gave them a very strong insight into who you are. The persons who write your dean's letter are the dean and your adivsor.

I also recently heard from someone at BU that one of the advisors at BU was instrumental at setting up Tufts program which is why they have so many similarities in the program at BU.

Do not be under the impression that the degree itself cannot be done in one year because IT CAN!!! However, don't count on getting in BUSM in one year. And if you are decently well off you may get into your home state schools within the year or elsewhere as there were a few who had interviews elsewhere this year

Oh and at BU you don't have to repeat classes that are med classes where you get an A if you get in ultimately.

That all said, I will say the Tufts program is also up and rising and a great program. And if for financial reasons you choose to go to Tufts I can understand. But don't assume you cant be done in a year with the degree and use that as an excuse not to go there. Good luck. Both Tufts and BU and Gtown and UCincy and EVMS and RFU are def. the 6 or so programs I would consider the most reputed of the SMPs.

I wish you well.

Thanks for clearing things up Guju, and I appologize for saying that BU can't be done in 1 year (I saw on Drmedlife's sticky that it usually takes 2 years to finish).

Thanks for clearing things up Guju, and I appologize for saying that BU can't be done in 1 year (I saw on Drmedlife's sticky that it usually takes 2 years to finish).

No problema. And good luck at Tufts. They are also a great program as I stated above. And people at both BU and Tufts whether dental, med, or GMS/MBS programs have spoken highly of their programs. So cant go wrong with either one.

And welcome to Boston, MA.

The one thing I will give Tufts is that it is near to the area where the cooler places like all the touristy places are in boston and the clubs too. If you have any free time in between. hahaha. :D Oh and their buildings are more modern looking. haha. Though to be fair BU is starting renovations with the library and lab rooms.

Good luck to everyone on these forums. And welcome to boston if you are not already in the area. :)

I was accepted to this program, and I am going to attend.

I have a question about living in Boston. I have never been. In SC, it is difficult to live without a car--our cities are the epitome of urban sprawl. I have a car, and I am wondering if I would be better off leaving it or driving it up there.

I was accepted to this program, and I am going to attend.

I have a question about living in Boston. I have never been. In SC, it is difficult to live without a car--our cities are the epitome of urban sprawl. I have a car, and I am wondering if I would be better off leaving it or driving it up there.

leave it in SC. It will be an expensive and unnecessary hassle and you will have no need for it.

leave it in SC. It will be an expensive and unnecessary hassle and you will have no need for it.

I agree. Although I know someone who has brought their car I wouldn't and didn't for the last year in boston.

And if you are going to Tufts especially you are literally nextdoor to the silverline and the greenline. You are literally next to downtown area and within a short walk near Mass general hospital, one of the main harvard hospitals. The green line that you are near is near the one that takes you to the other harvard hospitals and research centers as well as to the cambridgeside galleria which is the normal mall. You are not far walking wise or greenline or bus wise from prudential mall.

Kenmore and fenway is also easily reachable by greenline which is near tufts. So you are near everything.

So no I would not get a car there. The only one time you really want a car is when you are sick of carrying groceries even though you don't need it. But what you can do is get a zipcar membership if you want a car and rent the car through zipcar for when you need it.

tufts is not right next to the green line. it's on the orange line.

tufts is not right next to the green line. it's on the orange line.

Its like less then a 5 minute walk from the commons which is on the green line. Its virtually right there. Maybe not as close as the green line but it is hardly a hike to get to the green line from Tufts via the stop at the commons.

That is the stop I was referring to. Its not that far from what I saw when I walked it.

Excellent. I was hoping that would be the answer. The green angel on my shoulder has caused me to resent driving for every little thing.

Excellent. I was hoping that would be the answer. The green angel on my shoulder has caused me to resent driving for every little thing.

Hey a little piece of advice. If you can get one of those foldable carts with wheels on them for the grocery store do so. It will make getting groceries easier if you hate carrying heavy groceries. I don't know where to get it in boston so I never did. But we have them at the flee market in fl. where I don't need it due to a car.

... we have them at the flee market in fl. where I don't need it due to a car.

Are you from Florida? How did you adjust to the temperature? The extent of my winter wardrobe is five long sleeve shirts and a hoodie. I have seen snow maybe twice in the past decade.

Are you from Florida? How did you adjust to the temperature? The extent of my winter wardrobe is five long sleeve shirts and a hoodie. I have seen snow maybe twice in the past decade.

Yep from Fl. The real issue with the weather in boston is not massive snow storms as people always assume. In fact, at least my 1 year there there was only maybe 2 times when I saw that there was enough snow on the ground to call it a proper snow storm. One was right at the end of finals week right before I left town for Fl for the winter break and the other was when I was on winter break but wasn't there. Just saw pics.

The main issue with the weather has to do with the temperature and its combination with a lot of wind. Wind is what causes the cold temperature to be worse but you will learn to cope fast when you live in boston. The bright side is the spring is beautiful and the summer is even more beautiful except for the extensive raining. haha

I think its been advised that a nice down jacket and/or a nice wool coat like one of those that are at least 60% wool is what is recommended. but not sure how tufts is, but I know at BU I had a bigger issue with the temp inside the buildings then outside. Even in winter seemed like people liked to crank the ac where it needed to have heat. so stupid. Sometimes you need the jacket just for the classrooms and library more then you do for the outside. Its insane.

But like I said its all in getting a good jacket or otherwise learning to layer up well and a good pair of gloves. Maybe a scarf if necessary but not everyone wears such. Good luck.

Hey a little piece of advice. If you can get one of those foldable carts with wheels on them for the grocery store do so. It will make getting groceries easier if you hate carrying heavy groceries. I don't know where to get it in boston so I never did. But we have them at the flee market in fl. where I don't need it due to a car.

actually one more thing to add to my post quoted above...

If you don't want to go to the grocery store physically, then you can always order online but it has to be at least 50 or 60 dollars. Forget the actual limit. Just wanted to mention that.

http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/104961/Folding_Shopping_Cart.jpg

The link shows what I meant by foldable cart.