Tufts MBS 2010-2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys - Congrats on those accepted to the MBS program. I am going to be finishing my MBS and MPH this May and will be moving to New Orleans for medical school. One of my roommates will be staying and I wanted to let you guys know that my room will be available starting in June and you will be able to have it all year - this is not a sublet!!!. Rent will be $700/mo and utilities typically run about $40 a month extra (internet, cable, electricity). This room is in the high-rise next to Tufts Med called the Metropolitan - google it if you want. I assure you will not find a better deal in Downtown Boston as that the average price for a room at the Met will be at least 1100 and some of the run down apts in the area are at least 900 if not more. What is the catch - well the room has no windows...but the apartment is nice and as MBSers I suspect you will be at the library/class all day anyway (trust me I know that from personal experience)

I can also leave the room furnished with bed (mattress and frame), desk, lamp, chair, ottoman storage cushion, and MCAT books on the shelf for a total of $175. All are in a good to excellent condition and this way you don't have to worry about finding discount furniture and then moving it in yourself.

Please let me know if you guys are interested on this great deal by emailing me at [email protected].

Members don't see this ad.

So is it a good idea to apply to MBS and AMCAS? Should I wait on AMCAS? Thanks in advanced.

I just got an email back from the advisor. She says it's certainly not too late to apply now (ie they're not full).

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are saying we can still apply to the MBS?

Yah, it's definitely not too late. I have a friend who's in the program this year. She said she got all her materials in on the very last day they were due (July 15).

Yah, it's definitely not too late. I have a friend who's in the program this year. She said she got all her materials in on the very last day they were due (July 15).

Oh ok, thanks. Should I do AMCAS also?

Does anyone know when the financial aid office sends out award notices? How long after you have submitted your FAFSA and everything else they require?

groan. Waitlisted. Heard back from Tufts and EVMS in a matter of 2 days, waitlisted at both. Still not looking good for plans for me next fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the financial aid office sends out award notices? How long after you have submitted your FAFSA and everything else they require?

Hello,

I called the financial aid office on Thursday to ask the same question regarding when finanical aid awards would be given out. The lady told me that they mailed mine out sometime that week but she asked if I would like for it to be emailed to me. Within 30mins I received an email with my fin aid packetage. I sent out my information on February 15 to meet the deadline. My FAFSA was done since January but I sent in the other info on Feb 15.

I hope that answers your questions.

ahh, so most likely this or next week. probably a good idea to shoot an email monday though...

I did the, Tuft title IV form which basically said that I authorize them to give me loans, the Tufts financial aid application and FAFSA. I also, faxed them all my W2s and other forms that they required.

I did mine late because was waiting for my taxes to be done and I wanted to be accepted first, it was completed on 3/31...so Im guessing it will be a while for me.

yeah i did all these forms too. wasn't sure if i was missing something though because the med school site is very resourceful, but a bit tricky to navigate

I got in touch with the admissions advisor. She made it clear that the statement has to be 2-3 pages. I know why I want this program, but I just don't think I have 2 pages worth of justification.

Basically I like this one because it integrates actual medical school courses so that my grade will be compared to current medical students. I feel that will really show that I am set for success in medical school. I have high MCAT scores and good EC's, but my GPA fell kind of low (i'm an engineering major and I had some family issues during college). I also have a close friend who is in the program this year, and she tells me great things about the people, the city, and the curriculum (not sure if personal relationships are a good topic for the personal statement?).

I feel like I could sum all that up in about a page though. Does anyone else have any advice about what else they talked about in their statement?

Hmm, really? Mine was exactly one page, single-spaced. I wrote about why and how I was interested in medicine and why doctors especially. I wrote a small tidbit about the program at the end-I actually didn't integrate it into the whole essay and I guess it was fine because I was accepted!
I also went along the lines of using the program as a boost to my gpa-but put a little more eloquent than that :)
Hope that helps and good luck!

I feel like I could sum all that up in about a page though. Does anyone else have any advice about what else they talked about in their statement?

the way i see it, this is a last resort pathway to your shot at med school. if you can't come up with two pages then its not gonna be worth your effort in med school anyway. that said, mine was about one page too, same as lizzydarcy's, probably around 4,000 characters

Hmm, really? Mine was exactly one page, single-spaced. I wrote about why and how I was interested in medicine and why doctors especially. I wrote a small tidbit about the program at the end-I actually didn't integrate it into the whole essay and I guess it was fine because I was accepted!
I also went along the lines of using the program as a boost to my gpa-but put a little more eloquent than that :)
Hope that helps and good luck!

I should have clarified. She meant 2-3 pages DOUBLE SPACED, so one page single spaced sounds about right. Thanks! This helps me out a lot. I think I know how to go about writing it now.

the way i see it, this is a last resort pathway to your shot at med school. if you can't come up with two pages then its not gonna be worth your effort in med school anyway. that said, mine was about one page too, same as lizzydarcy's, probably around 4,000 characters

I was thinking too narrow mindedly. I thought the essay was limited only to how Tufts specifically would help with my goals for medical school. If I take into account talking about my motivations for medical school, then I have plenty to say.

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if Tufts MBS program give out need base scholarships or grants or is it strictly different form of loans?

Does any postbac program give out need base schoalrship or grants?

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if Tufts MBS program give out need base scholarships or grants or is it strictly different form of loans?

Thanks

You should apply for the

"Alvar Gustafson Fellowship for Kids Who can Read Good and Can Do Other Things Good Too"

Haha! Diva, you should watch the rest of that movie, it's hilarious.

Yea... I guess I am not much of a movie person or a person with a sense of humor. Thanks for not really answering my question but answering it with a inappropriate response. But whatever its just how people are on these forums I guess and please refrains yourselves from responding back to me because i am past this response.

Yea... I guess I am not much of a movie person or a person with a sense of humor. Thanks for not really answering my question but answering it with a inappropriate response. But whatever its just how people are on these forums I guess and please refrains yourselves from responding back to me because i am past this response.

Some people don't like humor, I guess. Stick up your butt, eh?

I thought the response was rather innocuous and completely appropriate given the pop culture reference. The response wasn't a personal attack so there's no need to get so wound up.

diva, first thing anyone of us would do is answer the question if we knew the answer.... seeing as we don't, tinfee provided some welcomed comic relief.

FYI: the financial aid office has been very helpful when I have contacted them (email or otherwise). give them a shot. but pretty sure they don't do any scholarships for this.... if someone was really that stellar of an applicant they would most likely be in med school already.

I thought the response was rather innocuous and completely appropriate given the pop culture reference. The response wasn't a personal attack so there's no need to get so wound up.

Tay33, I guess you failed to read the ending of my message. I didn't ask for your personal opinion and personally would like for you to not respond to me "trying" to educate me on what your opinion was to a response that I did not like. But since I can anticipate you still responding back to my message I will go ahead and tell you that I still do not care for any future responses you may give me.

Thanks in advance :)

Tay33, I guess you failed to read the ending of my message. I didn't ask for your personal opinion and personally would like for you to not respond to me "trying" to educate me on what your opinion was to a response that I did not like. But since I can anticipate you still responding back to my message I will go ahead and tell you that I still do not care for any future responses you may give me.

I say this in all seriousness: good luck with med-school interviews and building rapport with your interviewer. You have the personality of a hangnail.

This isn't diva09's thread/forum... if you want to make your own rules start a new website. We can all respond to whichever post we please.... including you. If you want to learn something and partake in society with a sense of humor... then relax.

I say this in all seriousness: good luck with med-school interviews and building rapport with your interviewer. You have the personality of a hangnail.

And in all seriousness I see why people are seriously turned off from these forums. You do not even personally know me but seem to insult my personality because I did not like a response to your message which was not even funny at all. But hey apparently I wont get into med school because I don't have a sense of humor or know how to take a joke. But once again I personally do not care what you think of me because I actually have GREAT interviewing skills. :)

This isn't diva09's thread/forum... if you want to make your own rules start a new website. We can all respond to whichever post we please.... including you. If you want to learn something and partake in society with a sense of humor... then relax.

Ok klmnop you need to get a life because no one was talking to you Mr. I respond to every thread on SDN every five minutes. Why wont you get your own student doctor forum since you apparently do not do anything else all day besides respond to things..

I guess you didn't find that funny now did you???

I think we should take this opportunity to refocus our attention on more important issues, such as debating the pros and cons of attending Tufts MBS as opposed to simply taking additional, upper level undergraduate courses (this was the explicit recommendation given to me by the Dean of Admissions at my top choice where I am waitlisted at, so I am of course reconsidering my Plan B).

And in all seriousness I see why people are seriously turned off from these forums. You do not even personally know me but seem to insult my personality because I did not like a response to your message which was not even funny at all. But hey apparently I wont get into med school because I don't have a sense of humor or know how to take a joke. But once again I personally do not care what you think of me because I actually have GREAT interviewing skills. :)

Ok klmnop you need to get a life because no one was talking to you Mr. I respond to every thread on SDN every five minutes. Why wont you get your own student doctor forum since you apparently do not do anything else all day besides respond to things..

I guess you didn't find that funny now did you???

hahahahahahahahaaaaa

i love this

fyi: go back and read my posts... 98% of them are attempts at being helpful/informative (in fact i helped you a ways back and was thanked for my generous input)... 2% are of humorous nature... oh and also, you have a higher posts per day count.

we are all over-stressed people on this forum. like i said before, we help when we can... not many people here are blatantly disrespectful. the joke by tinfee was not meant as a slight to you, but just opportunistic. its a forum, if ever there was a place to brush something off it is here.

now back to things that matter....

Last edited:
I think we should take this opportunity to refocus our attention on more important issues, such as debating the pros and cons of attending Tufts MBS as opposed to simply taking additional, upper level undergraduate courses (this was the explicit recommendation given to me by the Dean of Admissions at my top choice where I am waitlisted at, so I am of course reconsidering my Plan B).

agreed.
i can sum this up pretty quickly, although there are obviously more reasons... i was in a similar situation, my state school said to take 20 graduate level credits.

Tufts is probably harder, but will give you more opportunities than just your top choice school. And in my opinion, putting all your eggs into one basket... no matter how much of a sure thing it is, is rarely a good idea. Chances are if you succeed at the Tufts program you will have a great shot at your top choice as well, with a few backups hopefully.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

No offense but why would any SMP give scholarships when the point of these programs is to a. make money for their schools by b. providing something to students who might be at the border with their applications and are not the best of the pack when compared to the numerous kids already in med school. If a med school had that kind of money to spare they would give it to their real med students who already made it in and prob. have more stellar apps then people in SMPs.

You will not find any scholarships to SMPs. I don't know about the minority and disadvantaged based person programs but the other SMPs don't do that and like I said, they'd give the money to a med student before they did a grad student. Keep in mind grad students always come second place to med students. it will become apparent when you get to one of these programs.

Hey Guys,

Quick question. I did ask this on the UMDNJ thread and figured I'd ask here to see if I would get a similar encouraging response.

I took my GREs yesterday and if there is one thing I've learned, its that I can't do computer based standardized tests.
That being said, I got a 580 in math and 390 in verbal :(
I was wondering if anyone got into the tufts mbs with GRE scores less than 1000. I'm kinda worried since I haven't taken the DATs yet and this is the score they'll be seeing along with my 3.1 gpa...
Also do you think i should retake it?

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Quick question. I did ask this on the UMDNJ thread and figured I'd ask here to see if I would get a similar encouraging response.

I took my GREs yesterday and if there is one thing I've learned, its that I can't do computer based standardized tests.
That being said, I got a 580 in math and 390 in verbal :(
I was wondering if anyone got into the tufts mbs with GRE scores less than 1000. I'm kinda worried since I haven't taken the DATs yet and this is the score they'll be seeing along with my 3.1 gpa...
Also do you think i should retake it?

Thanks

Your only chance is to take the DAT/MCAT and do above average to well and use that score to apply. Do not mention anything about ever having taken the GRE - that score will screen you out of most programs.

Your only chance is to take the DAT/MCAT and do above average to well and use that score to apply. Do not mention anything about ever having taken the GRE - that score will screen you out of most programs.

The problem is that I don't want to take the DATs till September. I'm only applying to 3 programs (two at UMDNJ and at Tufts). I've already had the scores sent out...don't think I can do much about it anymore. I'm in a masters program right now that didn't require me to take the exam and I think it was just bad luck that I did so horribly. Do you think retaking it would help me?

The problem is that I don't want to take the DATs till September. I'm only applying to 3 programs (two at UMDNJ and at Tufts). I've already had the scores sent out...don't think I can do much about it anymore. I'm in a masters program right now that didn't require me to take the exam and I think it was just bad luck that I did so horribly. Do you think retaking it would help me?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. My advice, which assumes that you do not get in...
(1) Do well on your DAT in September (plenty of time to prepare).
(2) Register for upper level undergraduate biology courses (at least two) that begin this Fall, do well.
(3) Find and hold a full time job that covers your tuition and living expenses.
(4) Apply again to SMP programs beginning in January 2011 with your new DAT score and grades, withholding your GRE scores, possibly be accepted.

Hey!
I'm a first year (almost 2nd year!) at Tufts and I'm subletting my apartment for the summer if any of you are looking for summer housing. Most leases in Boston begin Aug or Sept 1st so this way you can be in Boston (Cambridge) and get settled for the summer. Boston is super fun in the summer. My apartment is a 3BR in Cambridge, near Central Sq, and my roommates are great girls. You would pay $900/month and the room would be fully furnished. Send me a message if you're interested.

Hi, I am finishing my MBS course work in about a month with writing my thesis over the summer. Having been through the program I will share my knowledge and answer questions. [email protected]

Hi, I am finishing my MBS course work in about a month with writing my thesis over the summer. Having been through the program I will share my knowledge and answer questions. [email protected]

Hey Marty,

I think it would be helpful if you could post your thoughts here on the forum so everyone could benefit from reading them. It's always good to here from people who have actually experienced the program.

1. What did you think of the competitiveness of the program? Were people cutthroat or willing to work together, i.e. was it a collegiate atmosphere?
  2. Was studying for the MCAT during the year manageable w/ your other classes (if you took it)?
  3. Do you have any numbers regarding how many have been accepted to med school for fall '10?
  4. Any other surprises, tips, warnings, you could provided for incoming students
Thanks for your help!

Hi Everyone, I have a few quick questions:

1) Is it too late in the cycle to apply? I know the program doesn't close until July but with so many of you guys already getting acceptances, perhaps the class will fill up?
2) Has anyone applied with a GRE score? If so, what score did you get?
3) The average MCAT score I believe was a 27 but has anyone applied with a sub-par MCAT?

Thanks for the help!

Average MCAT score for what is a 27??

Average MCAT score for what is a 27??

i emailed a while back and was told:

q: do you have minimum GPA and MCAT standards to apply?
a: There are no minimum requirements. However, the average GPA is a 3.3 and the average MCAT is a 29

I've seen a lot of numbers tossed around on here (70, 80, 100) as far as class size for this year goes but has anyone heard anything definitive from an admin or someone in the know??