Tufts MBS 2010-2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they still have those status page things there is a way of finding out online. I remember something like that last summer.

When I finally was told I was not accepted it was email contact. But that was late late summer. some other people in my class at BU were accepted around that time I finally got rejected. However, they turned down Tufts to come to my school. I do know though it was til late in the summer when they were reviewing waitlists last year.

I don't think there is a status page. I got an e-mail from Tara Risi on the 15th saying I was still on the waitlist and we should be hearing in the near future. I've kinda given up on this program though and I'm continuing to take courses through UCLA extension. If I get a last minute acceptance though it may throw a wrench in my plans, although I did turn down Western's SMP w/ Linkage, Tufts may be worth it (but so much $$ AAHH!)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there is a status page. I got an e-mail from Tara Risi on the 15th saying I was still on the waitlist and we should be hearing in the near future. I've kinda given up on this program though and I'm continuing to take courses through UCLA extension. If I get a last minute acceptance though it may throw a wrench in my plans, although I did turn down Western's SMP w/ Linkage, Tufts may be worth it (but so much $$ AAHH!)

BU and Tufts SMPs are worth it. I can attest as can many of the LA, Cali residents who have moved out here to do one or the other of them will do so too.

I know most of the californians I met didn't seem to have regrets about coming here for the program at my own school and I'm sure it is true at Tufts MBS too because they are a good program and good school too.

Did you also consider applying to BU MAMS or other programs as a back up that were MD SMPs?

BU and Tufts SMPs are worth it. I can attest as can many of the LA, Cali residents who have moved out here to do one or the other of them will do so too.

I know most of the californians I met didn't seem to have regrets about coming here for the program at my own school and I'm sure it is true at Tufts MBS too because they are a good program and good school too.

Did you also consider applying to BU MAMS or other programs as a back up that were MD SMPs?

I applied to EVMS, Tufts, Tulane, Western for SMPs. Was rejected from Tulane and waitlisted at both EVMS and Tufts. Accepted with linkage at Western but if I'm going to do an SMP is going to be an MD SMP. We'll see what happens. You and I had talked about BU back when I was originally applying but I just ran out of money and desire to keep applying to schools when I was struggling to overcome the thought of all the extra debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call from the admissions office today but I will be turning it down because I am attending BU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I applied to EVMS, Tufts, Tulane, Western for SMPs. Was rejected from Tulane and waitlisted at both EVMS and Tufts. Accepted with linkage at Western but if I'm going to do an SMP is going to be an MD SMP. We'll see what happens. You and I had talked about BU back when I was originally applying but I just ran out of money and desire to keep applying to schools when I was struggling to overcome the thought of all the extra debt.

Oh well I applied BU as soon as I was waitlisted to EVMS and Tufts and Gtown for SMPs. The thing with me last year was since I wasn't in school at the time I didn't even have anything to update them with. Plus I was unable to get a job last year with the bad economy in Fl. that is only getting worse in Fl.

But I don't regret applying to BU. It is one of the more well reputed and regarded SMPs. It was the program from which stemmed those who helped Tufts Faculty set up their own program. People from here were also instrumental in helping Cincy people set up their SMPs.

How come you applied to western knowing you didn't want a DO SMP but didn't apply to Cincy and BU I don't know. I feel like you shoot yourself in the foot in not doing so. Even fi you didn't apply to BU I think you should've applied to Cincy and maybe RFU.

I got a call from the admissions office today but I will be turning it down because I am attending BU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D lol.

Yeah a lot of people got last minute acceptances to Tufts or acceptances to Tufts in general that they turned down for BUSM last year.

Oh well I applied BU as soon as I was waitlisted to EVMS and Tufts and Gtown for SMPs. The thing with me last year was since I wasn't in school at the time I didn't even have anything to update them with. Plus I was unable to get a job last year with the bad economy in Fl. that is only getting worse in Fl.

But I don't regret applying to BU. It is one of the more well reputed and regarded SMPs. It was the program from which stemmed those who helped Tufts Faculty set up their own program. People from here were also instrumental in helping Cincy people set up their SMPs.

How come you applied to western knowing you didn't want a DO SMP but didn't apply to Cincy and BU I don't know. I feel like you shoot yourself in the foot in not doing so. Even fi you didn't apply to BU I think you should've applied to Cincy and maybe RFU.

When I had applied to Western they hadn't worked out the tuition or any other parts of the program yet. I applied due to encouragement from their staff as well as my former academic advisor and when I went I realized it was not geared toward proving your academic worth but more preparing you for Western's specific program. Plus I live about 45 minutes from Western so it seemed like a good idea. At the time I hadn't decided against the DO SMP route. When I saw the 50k pricetag and that Western is still planning on raising their DO COA from over 70k a year I decided I just couldn't stomach upwards of 350k debt when I graduated for the DO degree.

I was going to apply to Cincy but since I did not have a 3.0 I was told by their admissions office that I shouldn't apply and that their 3.0 was a hard cutoff. Whether or not that is true, I have no idea but it was discouraging to hear from the admissions faculty itself. Like I said, I just ran out of patience filling out applications and at the time was on 2 waitlists (and still hopeful of being accepted) so I didn't apply to BU. RFU's program never actually crossed my mind. In all, I considered Tufts, BU, Tulane, EVMS, Cincy and Drexel briefly.

I was going to apply to Cincy but since I did not have a 3.0 I was told by their admissions office that I shouldn't apply and that their 3.0 was a hard cutoff. Whether or not that is true, I have no idea but it was discouraging to hear from the admissions faculty itself.

That is not true. I applied with under a 3 and got put in the top third of their waitlist. At the time, I had already been accepted at Tufts and decided I would rather live in Boston. So I withdrew.

congratulations intel! did you get accepted off the wait list or was it a regular acceptance?

That is not true. I applied with under a 3 and got put in the top third of their waitlist. At the time, I had already been accepted at Tufts and decided I would rather live in Boston. So I withdrew.

:confused: Thats what the admissions office told me so I went with them. O well, too late now

Applied: July 15
Complete: July 19
Accepted: July 20

I had a below average GPA and a higher than average MCAT. I used a committee packet that contained the sufficient recommendations.

I'm lucky to get in. Unless BU accepts me as well, I'll see you guys in August.

I submitted my committee packet and they turned it down. I only found this out after 7 weeks of not hearing anything. Tara says the committee is basically done reviewing apps now.
I guess I have to wait and see what happens :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can former MBS-ers comment on how they liked/disliked the class schedule for the program? I recently viewed it on TUSK, and it seems like class times vary each week, which might get confusing/frustrating when trying to establish a routine?

Also, are recordings (audio or video) of class lectures posted on TUSK?

Thanks in advance!

Just looked at the TUSK website, very cool to actually see a schedule!

I don't know how it will work or if it will be frustrating, but there is an option to download the calendar and sync it with you Outlook or other email server, making it easier to stay on schedule. You can also print it all out.

Three more weeks until orientation and I am excited to start.:thumbup:

Hello All
I have an application question, Im sure this is sort of out of place in the conversation, however I am sure one of you can help me. I will be applying for the Fall 2011 MBS but I wont be taking my MCAT until May 2011, want to have a lot of study time. It says on their website
" If you are planning to take the MCAT in May or June, it is recommended that you submit your MBS application before your planned test date."
I am hoping that means that I can apply before I take my MCAT. Has anybody applied before taking their MCAT, how does that work? Do you get accepted and they just hope your MCAT score is acceptable?
Thanks so much

Just looked at the TUSK website, very cool to actually see a schedule!

I don't know how it will work or if it will be frustrating, but there is an option to download the calendar and sync it with you Outlook or other email server, making it easier to stay on schedule. You can also print it all out.

Three more weeks until orientation and I am excited to start.:thumbup:

I saw the TUSK website, but it's difficult to tell how regular classes are without parsing all the schedules...

Do you think you could print out what the schedule looks like here on the forum so that we can all see what it looks like? I don't have a Tufts username yet, so I cannot do it myself.

Hello All
I have an application question, Im sure this is sort of out of place in the conversation, however I am sure one of you can help me. I will be applying for the Fall 2011 MBS but I wont be taking my MCAT until May 2011, want to have a lot of study time. It says on their website
" If you are planning to take the MCAT in May or June, it is recommended that you submit your MBS application before your planned test date."
I am hoping that means that I can apply before I take my MCAT. Has anybody applied before taking their MCAT, how does that work? Do you get accepted and they just hope your MCAT score is acceptable?
Thanks so much

You can apply without submitting your MCAT, however they will not review your file until you submit your score (and hence have a complete file). Also note that even if you have already taken the MCAT, but scored very low, you can still apply and notify them that you are retaking the exam. Again, they will accept your application into the pool, but they will conduct a review once your file is complete, assuming you meet all deadlines.

They will not accept you without some sort of standardized exam score (i.e. MCAT or GRE). Hope this helps.

I doubt I will start looking for research before orientation, but would anyone share what the research requirement consists of? I would be more interested in doing lab based research--probably throughout the entire academic year than trying to cram something into the summer. Does my research have to be under a Tufts faculty or could I do something with a Harvard researcher, for instance?

I saw the TUSK website, but it's difficult to tell how regular classes are without parsing all the schedules...

Do you think you could print out what the schedule looks like here on the forum so that we can all see what it looks like? I don't have a Tufts username yet, so I cannot do it myself.

Here's the first two weeks, class length varies from between .5-1.5 hrs.

Monday August 23, 2010
8:30 AM MBS225 Patient Presentation Patient Pres. Cystic Fibrosis
10:00 AM MBS 202A Cell Biology CB Intro & Nucleus Structure & Function
1:00 PM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem Genetic Material (Lecture)
Tuesday August 24, 2010
9:10 AM MBS 212 Genetics Gene Mendelian & Non-Mendelian I
1:00 PM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem DNA Repl / Cell Cycle
2:00 PM MBS 202A Cell Biology CB Membranes I: Structure Function

Wednesday August 25, 2010
8:15 AM MBS 212 Genetics Gene Intro to Cytogenetics (Lecture)
11:10 AM MBS 212 Genetics Gene Clinical DNA Diagnosis (Lecture)
1:00 PM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem DNA Techniques (Lecture)
2:00 PM MBS 202A Cell Biology CB Membranes II: Transport
Thursday August 26, 2010
11:00 AM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem RNA Synthesis (Lecture)
Friday August 27, 2010
8:30 AM MBS 212 Genetics Gene Clinical Cyto (Lecture)
10:30 AM MBS225 Patient Presentation Patient Pres. Breast Cancer
1:00 PM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem Control of Gene Expression
Monday August 30, 2010
8:30 AM MBS225 Patient Presentation Patient Pres. Diabetes
10:00 AM MBS 202A Cell Biology CB Membranes III: Protein Targeting(Lecture)
1:00 PM MBS 212 Genetics Gene Non-Mendelian II (Lecture)
2:30 PM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem Protein Synthesis
Tuesday August 31, 2010
10:00 AM MBS 202A Cell Biology CB Cytoskeleton I: How Cargo is Moved
1:00 PM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem Protein Structure
Wednesday September 1, 2010
9:10 AM MBS 212 Genetics Gene Genetic Counseling (Lecture)
11:00 AM MBS 202A Cell Biology CB Cytoskeleton II: How Cells Move
1:00 PM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem Conference 1: CML
Thursday September 2, 2010
9:00 AM MBS 202A Cell Biology CB Epithelium
10:30 AM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem Oxygen Transporters
Friday September 3, 2010
8:30 AM MBS 212 Genetics Gene Prenatal Diagnosis (Lecture)
10:30 AM MBS225 Patient Presentation Patient Pres. HIV (Lecture)
1:00 PM MBS 203 Biochemistry Biochem Protein Folding (Lecture)

Hey everyone,
I know this is totally last minute.. but anyone still looking for a roommate, or renting out a room, or know anyone that needs a roommate? haha I'm a really fun girl to hang out with!

I'm trying to find an apartment for rent, but I have no idea what neighborhoods would be good to find a place in. I'm from California and I have never been to Boston before, so I have no idea what's what and what's where.

Could someone with a little more knowledge let me know what areas are good to live in and what areas to avoid?

I was just accepted into MBS yesterday. I will hear back from BU tomorrow. I think that I'll likely attend BU if accepted.

Is there anyone going to Tufts who turned down BU? If so, what was your rationale?

Hi nyjazzsax. Congrats on being accepted! Were you accepted off the waitlist? I'm trying to get a sense of where Tufts is with their waitlist applicants...

Thanks!

Hi nyjazzsax. Congrats on being accepted! Were you accepted off the waitlist? I'm trying to get a sense of where Tufts is with their waitlist applicants...

Thanks!

I was not accepted off the waitlist. My application was completed last Thursday and I was accepted on Tuesday.

My application was considered complete 7/19 and Tara said it's sent to committee for review, and will take a few weeks for a decision.

Will I get a decision by email, mail, or phone?

I read that the committee is practically done reviewing apps now.

My application was considered complete 7/19 and Tara said it's sent to committee for review, and will take a few weeks for a decision.

Will I get a decision by email, mail, or phone?

I read that the committee is practically done reviewing apps now.

You can use the online log-in system given to you when you submitted your application. I checked that first and received my letter in the mail later.

You can use the online log-in system given to you when you submitted your application. I checked that first and received my letter in the mail later.

Thanks. But, the online log-in system was never updated as COMPLETE, even when Tara said my application was complete on 7/19..after the deadline 7/15. Let's just hope I get response soon..and by email or mail.

I was just accepted into MBS yesterday. I will hear back from BU tomorrow. I think that I'll likely attend BU if accepted.

Is there anyone going to Tufts who turned down BU? If so, what was your rationale?

Similarly, nyjazzsax, why are you choosing BU over Tufts?

I was not accepted off the waitlist. My application was completed last Thursday and I was accepted on Tuesday.

So did you end up hearing back from BU as well?

If you do end up getting in at BU and have questions feel free to PM me if you have any. I just finished with my first year there. doing my research in Fl. for the folliwng year.

I just got accepted to the Mbs program!
I was complete early June. But had a letter of recommendation issue

Now I just need to figure out where I'm living. 4 days until orientation.
I didn't believe I would get in.

I just got accepted to the Mbs program!
I was complete early June. But had a letter of recommendation issue

Now I just need to figure out where I'm living. 4 days until orientation.
I didn't believe I would get in.

Did you see my post I just made in the Florida USF program thread? I was sooooooooooooooo rooting for you to get into this program because I felt it is such a better investment especially if you are traveling from out of Florida. i'm sooooooooooo happy you got in. I hear great things about Tufts program and met one of your future classmates on here before I moved back to Fl. from boston. I have no regrets about my year there in neighboring BU MAMS and I wouldn't have had regrets had I ended up at Tufts MBS off the waitlist last year. Boston's a great city and the Tufts and BU programs are really great SMPs.

I'm sooooo glad this one worked out for you. I would help you with housing but I only know the 3 best places near BU MAMS so I'm useless in that way. I wish you well. But I wish you well. Some don't like the area Tufts is in, but I think it has its advantages. Its location next to an orange line and within a few blocks of different green line stops including the ones by the Boston commons, in china town and near downtown crossings shopping center. You will either come to learn to love boston or hate boston.

I know some who hate it there but I came to really like it once I made a few good friends. Again, congratulations. I'd been following your posts to see what would happen and hoping you'd get into Tufts MBS because I just feel it is soooooooooo much stronger of a program. Good :luck: next year. :D

Did you see my post I just made in the Florida USF program thread? I was sooooooooooooooo rooting for you to get into this program because I felt it is such a better investment especially if you are traveling from out of Florida. i'm sooooooooooo happy you got in. I hear great things about Tufts program and met one of your future classmates on here before I moved back to Fl. from boston. I have no regrets about my year there in neighboring BU MAMS and I wouldn't have had regrets had I ended up at Tufts MBS off the waitlist last year. Boston's a great city and the Tufts and BU programs are really great SMPs.

I'm sooooo glad this one worked out for you. I would help you with housing but I only know the 3 best places near BU MAMS so I'm useless in that way. I wish you well. But I wish you well. Some don't like the area Tufts is in, but I think it has its advantages. Its location next to an orange line and within a few blocks of different green line stops including the ones by the Boston commons, in china town and near downtown crossings shopping center. You will either come to learn to love boston or hate boston.

I know some who hate it there but I came to really like it once I made a few good friends. Again, congratulations. I'd been following your posts to see what would happen and hoping you'd get into Tufts MBS because I just feel it is soooooooooo much stronger of a program. Good :luck: next year. :D

Hey
Thanks a lot for your support.!!!!! I was screaming on the phone when I got the call.
Financially I felt bad when i got the financial aid award letter. :laugh:

I really need to start my apartment search. I thought I was set at USF (I was actually about to begin the drive from pa to tampa)
I guess :xf: works.

Hey
Thanks a lot for your support.!!!!! I was screaming on the phone when I got the call.
Financially I felt bad when i got the financial aid award letter. :laugh:

I really need to start my apartment search. I thought I was set at USF (I was actually about to begin the drive from pa to tampa)
I guess :xf: works.

Boston is awesome. I've been missing it since I came back despite the cold weather up there.

I basically lived in buffalo for 3 years!!! Boston winter can't be any worse. Lol

Omg, I think I'm still in shock. The lady that called me thought I was having a heart attack when she gave me the news. :laugh:

@chibrown,

congrats! you might've mentioned it already but were you on the waitlist?

no i was not on the waitlist..
i dont really understand the waitlist because I know my stats a very low and there have been people waiting for a while.
there ae some things we will never understand

Goodluck

no i was not on the waitlist..
i dont really understand the waitlist because I know my stats a very low and there have been people waiting for a while.
there ae some things we will never understand

Goodluck

Chibrown, congrats on the acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? I'm on the waitlist still and wanted to gage how likely it is that an acceptance is coming my way. You can also PM if that's better

Chibrown, congrats on the acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? I'm on the waitlist still and wanted to gage how likely it is that an acceptance is coming my way. You can also PM if that's better

I'm not ashamed of my grades. I worked hard for them :)

sGPA-3.3
cGPA-3.5

Awesome letters, no research. The usual ECs. personal statement was above average

Hope that helps.
:luck:

Last edited:
Hi guys, I know this is throwing it out there, but does anyone know where the first class is going to be on Monday? The MBS225 Patient Presentation Cystic Fibrosis lecture? I couldn't make orientation yesterday, and now, looking at the schedule, it's clear where the location is.

SK B09 is the Sackler building, right?

Last edited:
You got it. It's the lecture hall in the basement of Sackler.

So I'm only now starting to seriously entertain the idea of doing an SMP next year as this med school app cycle isn't panning out too great for me. I have a 3.4cGPA, 3.8sGPA with near 4.0 in both science and AO the last 2 years of undergrad and post-bacc. 30N MCAT:( Plenty of clinical and community volunteering. Working in a research lab with no pub. (really not that interested in basic science research though). Somewhat non-trad status.

I know my GPAs and MCAT are low to mediocre and I'm not aiming for any top tier school. I'd love to get in any school in the New England area though. What do you guys think? I know it's still early this cycle but in case things don't work out, I'd like to plan ahead for next year. Do my stats and circumstances warrant spending money on a SMP? Is so, is GW the best out there for getting people into med schools? I like Boston so i'm leaning towards Tufts or BU.

So I'm only now starting to seriously entertain the idea of doing an SMP next year as this med school app cycle isn't panning out too great for me. I have a 3.4cGPA, 3.8sGPA with near 4.0 in both science and AO the last 2 years of undergrad and post-bacc. 30N MCAT:( Plenty of clinical and community volunteering. Working in a research lab with no pub. (really not that interested in basic science research though). Somewhat non-trad status.

I know my GPAs and MCAT are low to mediocre and I'm not aiming for any top tier school. I'd love to get in any school in the New England area though. What do you guys think? I know it's still early this cycle but in case things don't work out, I'd like to plan ahead for next year. Do my stats and circumstances warrant spending money on a SMP? Is so, is GW the best out there for getting people into med schools? I like Boston so i'm leaning towards Tufts or BU.

GW doesn't have an SMP. I believe you meant GTown.

GW doesn't have an SMP. I believe you meant GTown.

Oops, you're right. I stand corrected. By the way on Georgetown SMP's website where they give you stats on where each class' graduates end up, very few get in GW (or any other school for that matter). I would think since most are already in DC, many would apply to GW and perhaps would get accepted there in higher numbers than at schools elsewhere.

Anyway, what do you think about my situation GujuDoc?

Oops, you're right. I stand corrected. By the way on Georgetown SMP's website where they give you stats on where each class' graduates end up, very few get in GW (or any other school for that matter). I would think since most are already in DC, many would apply to GW and perhaps would get accepted there in higher numbers than at schools elsewhere.

Anyway, what do you think about my situation GujuDoc?

Many apply to DC schools including GW coming out of Gtown SMP and BU MAMS but keep in mind that GW gets 15000 applications. It is one of the most applied to schools in the country, even more applied to then BU, Tufts, NYMC, Albany, and the other schools which get 7k to 10k students a year applying to them. This is all for 125 seats or so. Maybe a few more then that give or take. But so yeah most of those kids won't get in GW.

Guju, were you talking about my chances for med school admission or admission into Gtown SMP? I have decent but not great EC's, mainly clinical and other volunteering, some research. I'm from Oregon. God i sure hope I am at least qualified for one of these SMP programs because if not, how can I even dream of getting in med school?

Guju, were you talking about my chances for med school admission or admission into Gtown SMP? I have decent but not great EC's, mainly clinical and other volunteering, some research. I'm from Oregon. God i sure hope I am at least qualified for one of these SMP programs because if not, how can I even dream of getting in med school?

med school. GTown SMP I'm sure you'd get in without a doubt. or at least at an SMP somewhere.