Tufts MBS 2010-2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have already got accepted. How did TUFTS notify you through mail or did you have to log in and see your decision online? The wait is killing me folks. I need to find out so I can submit my AMCAS relatively early.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have already got accepted. How did TUFTS notify you through mail or did you have to log in and see your decision online? The wait is killing me folks. I need to find out so I can submit my AMCAS relatively early.

you can do either
they post it online first but you have the option of waiting for the official document in the mail. i got it in the mail first.

for those ppl accepted and deposited- what r u guys doin about figuring out housing? they sent us that spreadsheet with info on who are supposed to be our future classmates but theres 8 ppl on the list- and only 1 is in the mbs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey- anyone know anything good or bad about the apartments at 62 Boylston?

relatively small and expensive, but quaint. a good amount of tufts dental and medical students live there, and even a few profs. its a super convenient location as it is right across the street from the green line and boston common/garden. within 5 min of the lively newbury street and about 15 min walk to the north end. short walk through chinatown and the theater district to tufts medical center and sackler.

the building itself is very old and was once a hotel... and the site itself once housed john adams so it is considered historic. there is a doorman and two elevators and it is generally clean. very nice, yet pricey, for one individual. oh and there's a starbucks on the ground floor.

i have a friend who lives there so i was able to live in it for a few days.
her only complaint was the noise outside in the middle of the night (specifically three garbage truck-sounding noises many nights) but you will get this everywhere you go in the city.

if the cost isnt a huge problem, its a nice place for a student.

relatively small and expensive, but quaint. a good amount of tufts dental and medical students live there, and even a few profs. its a super convenient location as it is right across the street from the green line and boston common/garden. within 5 min of the lively newbury street and about 15 min walk to the north end. short walk through chinatown and the theater district to tufts medical center and sackler.

the building itself is very old and was once a hotel... and the site itself once housed john adams so it is considered historic. there is a doorman and two elevators and it is generally clean. very nice, yet pricey, for one individual. oh and there's a starbucks on the ground floor.

i have a friend who lives there so i was able to live in it for a few days.
her only complaint was the noise outside in the middle of the night (specifically three garbage truck-sounding noises many nights) but you will get this everywhere you go in the city.

if the cost isnt a huge problem, its a nice place for a student.

On the issue of noise i agree. we live in as one person put it, the city of ambulances. its the same at bu that you hear everything if you are nearby from ambulances and cop sirens to airplanes flying overhead. the city is small and it may not be as busy as london or nyc or somewhere of that scale but it is fairly busy and the walls are often not noise proof so you will hear all sorts of noise no matter what part of the city you are in.

Hey guys I am still waiting on my decision from TUFTS but all I got to say right now is LAKERS BABYYY!!!!!!! :laugh:

for those ppl accepted and deposited- what r u guys doin about figuring out housing? they sent us that spreadsheet with info on who are supposed to be our future classmates but theres 8 ppl on the list- and only 1 is in the mbs.

I got the impression that was more of a list of potential housing options than a list of classmates. I did not see anything that suits my time frame (willing to pay for the entire month of August, but not able to move in until after the first week at least). My plan is good ol' craigslist; Newmark has not let me down yet.

I am currently trying to decide if I need to fly up there sometime before August to scout. I am hoping not, because I have a busy summer--MCAT + full time work.

Hey everyone. My roommate and I just finished our first year in the Harvard Extension Health Careers Program. We need two new roommates starting September 1. We would like those roommates to be students. We would also prefer that they be male (sorry ladies).

We live on the 3rd floor of a 3-story house in Huron Village (you can look it up on Google Maps). If you're going to Tufts, a 15 minute walk will bring you to the #96 bus, and that will take you all the way to your campus. There are several grocery stores within walking distance (Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and three local grocers). The neighborhood itself is very safe, pleasant, and quiet.

Our place has 4 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, a large living room, a large kitchen, and a nice deck in the back. Since we're on the 3rd floor, all rooms get a lot of sunlight.

Rent is $625 a month. Utilities (gas, electric, and oil heat for the winter months) are not included, but they don't get too expensive. We have a coin-operated washer and dryer in the basement.

My roommate and I are very studious dudes, ages 25 and 23. Last semester we both took Chemistry I and II, and Physics I and II. I'm taking Organic Chemistry I and II this summer, and my roommate is working in a hospital. In the fall, we both start Biology I, and my roommate will start Orgo I.

In addition to rocking the academics, we DO go out, party, and have a good time with friends at appropriate points during the semester. We're neither stuffy nerds nor drunken A-holes. We're normal, and awesome.

RULES:
1- Help keep the common areas clean. That includes assisting with trash and the dishwasher, if you cook.
2- Keep your own room clean. We've had smelly roommates and it wasn't cool.
3- Don't eat our food.
4- We don't want cable TV in the living room, but you can have it hooked up in your own room.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. My e-Mail address is [email protected]. Pictures available upon request.

thanks for the insight gujudoc and klmnop!

one other place i was looking at was the brownstone apts 2 minutes walk from Tufts- it is on or nearby Tyler St.

anybody know what the noise level and safety is like there? & anyone know of any maintenance issues?

thanks in advance and good luck on your apt searches :)

I came to Tufts MBS to do this in one year and go right to med school, and it has been difficult to do. I had finished my applications to AMCAS the first day they were open in June 2009, and finished my secondaries as soon as they came in, and started Tufts MBS mid August. Grades and interviews aside, it is not easy to apply during the year of the MBS. A lot of schools didn't wait around for first semester grades, and for those that did, by the time the first semester grades came in (december/january) you will have already been on hold since whenever you finished your secondaries, making your potential interview and decision later in the process. Also tufts official composite letter will not be written for you until you finish your Spring classes, and spring semester grades were just finalized last week around June 10th, thus making it too late for people applying during the year.

The 1 year MBS program will ultimately be much more beneficial for those who want to only do the one year, but will apply to med school after completely finishing it. Even then, if you choose to re-take the MCAT after the classes, it still schedules you for a late MCAT date that will delay the completion of your med applications. (Although I may be biased, I took the MCAT the second week it was offered to ensure my results would be in time to be verified by the opening day of AMCAS).

This is why a lot of people choose to go on to get the MPH, because they'll have a full year in between their MBS degree and the start of med school, and they figure they might as well squeeze another degree out of the extra time, and keep deferring the loan payments. Yes, the number of students getting into medical school after going to Tufts is high, but just remember that this program is relatively new, and that these numbers reflect the students who eventually get in, some who go right away, and a lot who take a year in between.

Like I said, I managed to do it in one year and I am going on to med school this fall, but the program is really not designed to function this way, and I was largely on my own. (I'm not saying that the administration and faculty did not want to help me, or refused any of my requests, I'm just saying it was very much self driven). That being said, I had an awesome advisor who was so willing to help me and advocate for me. Right now, I am trying to finish my thesis in time for my move to Med school, and in time to start the financial aid process for next year. Now that I'm a little bit wiser, the type of program I was looking for was the SMP at Georgetown, and maybe people in my situation would be happier there.

Hope this helps. (sorry to be vague, but I think too many details might be revealing).

Accepted!! See everyone at orientation!

Good luck to those still waiting to hear back...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Just got accepted as well. I've been trying desperately to find comparative information on this program vs. Tulane Masters of Cell and Molecular Biology. I got into both and need to decide here very soon which would be the better choice in getting into medical school without a lag year. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Some stats about me are below.

29Q MCAT/3.50 undergrad gpa from Notre Dame
3.31 science gpa/3.79 Honors Anthropology Major gpa
I've done a lot of research (some published) and have ample volunteer experience in the ER and other hospital depts for over two years now.

TibFib, thank you for your comments. I currently intend to apply during the MBS, for better or worse. I am taking the MCAT Aug 4th. So that won't be available for a while, and I am not sure if my 2008 scores can be used for a 2011 application; though, I am not terribly concerned.

When you applied, how did you highlight the Tufts program on your AMCAS? Did you mention it in your personal statement?

Did you specifically request schools wait to consider you until after you had finished some coursework? If so, how did you go about doing this--on the secondaries? How did your interviewers treat the topic of your enrollment in an SMP?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but lastly, would you say you probably would have gotten the interviews without the SMP?

TibFib, thank you for your comments. I currently intend to apply during the MBS, for better or worse. I am taking the MCAT Aug 4th. So that won't be available for a while, and I am not sure if my 2008 scores can be used for a 2011 application; though, I am not terribly concerned.

When you applied, how did you highlight the Tufts program on your AMCAS? Did you mention it in your personal statement?

Did you specifically request schools wait to consider you until after you had finished some coursework? If so, how did you go about doing this--on the secondaries? How did your interviewers treat the topic of your enrollment in an SMP?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but lastly, would you say you probably would have gotten the interviews without the SMP?

Like I said, it definitely can be done, but it is not the primary objective of the program structure and you have to stay on top of everything yourself. I think I went on the Tufts MBS site and got the titles of the classes and credits, and labeled them as In Progress. I briefly mentioned in my personal statement towards the end that I "chose to spend this year in an intensive one year masters program that is modeled exactly to the M1 curriculum...etc" but in the secondaries you get a ton of opportunities to talk about it, especially if this is a reapplication year when they ask you what you have done differently from your first application cycle. I'm pretty sure you can't request schools to hold off on your application until your grades are in, but most do just put you on pre-interview hold, some don't care about the masters and just look at your application up until then (which isn't the point...there's a reason you wanted to be in an SMP!) Again, I don't want to be too revealing, I did not get into my first choice school, but I did get in somewhere which is a victory regardless of where I ranked it (to me anyway!). Whether my master's grades had anything to do with it, I'm not sure. Interviewers did want to hear about the MBS, but like I said, getting the interview is 9/10th of the battle.

Hey guys,

Just got accepted as well. I've been trying desperately to find comparative information on this program vs. Tulane Masters of Cell and Molecular Biology. I got into both and need to decide here very soon which would be the better choice in getting into medical school without a lag year. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Some stats about me are below.

29Q MCAT/3.50 undergrad gpa from Notre Dame
3.31 science gpa/3.79 Honors Anthropology Major gpa
I've done a lot of research (some published) and have ample volunteer experience in the ER and other hospital depts for over two years now.

You will pretty much find nothing about the Tulane program because that is not one of the programs people go to for getting into med school. Tufts MBS is a SMP structured after the design at BU MAMS which was put together with the aid of people at BU MAMS.

Its program is a 1 year program that can be turned into 2 years if you do a lab thesis and many choose to apply after their one year of classes though few do apply while in the program. It is probably more effective to apply after the one year in that you will have the grades to show your work. But you can try and apply while in the program as well.

There is a list on page 4 of this thread or so with where people have gotten in.

from what i've heard from some tufts med students, the metropolitan seems to be one of the best locations to live around tufts med. i was wondering if there was anyone going to tufts mbs that was lookin to go in on a 2BR place at the metropolitan- its a block or two away from classes, and the city location/views are pretty sick, and with a 2BR splitting cable/tv/utilities, it wouldnt be as ridiculously expensive as living by yourself.

would anyone be interested?

I was accepted to these postbac MBS programs: Tufts, Mount Sinai, BU, UMDNJ, and NYMC. I think I've knocked off NYMC's program because that is a 2 year program, and I don't want to prolong my application to med school for that long. The other programs seem to be 1-1.5 years long. Tufts definitely has more medical-type classes, some of which are taken with med students, and there is a direct comparison - but on the same exams the med students are graded P/F whereas the MBS students must score B- and above to pass the class (my main concern here is the difficulty of the grading compared to the other MBS programs). Any one have any useful stats for Mount Sinai versus Tufts? Any input in making this decision will be greatly appreciated!!

I was accepted to these postbac MBS programs: Tufts, Mount Sinai, BU, UMDNJ, and NYMC. I think I've knocked off NYMC's program because that is a 2 year program, and I don't want to prolong my application to med school for that long. The other programs seem to be 1-1.5 years long. Tufts definitely has more medical-type classes, some of which are taken with med students, and there is a direct comparison - but on the same exams the med students are graded P/F whereas the MBS students must score B- and above to pass the class (my main concern here is the difficulty of the grading compared to the other MBS programs). Any one have any useful stats for Mount Sinai versus Tufts? Any input in making this decision will be greatly appreciated!!

I would go to either Tufts or BU med. Both are true SMPs in the sense of taking med classes but give you the option of doing research and getting experience in research if you want to not do medicine. BU lets you even get a concentration if you decide to change your mind about medicine. And both BU med and Tufts are mostly medical school year 1 courses.

Mt. Sinai is not really a SMP program so I would not go there.

Hey guys,

I'm still waiting on hearing from Tufts...I got accepted at UMDNJ and need to reply to them by July 2nd. I submitted my application June 7th for Tufts and was wondering if anyone else who had submitted their app around that time has heard back?

Hi New MBS Class! I just finished the MBS program and got a job at Boston Med Center while I apply to med school and I'm looking for a new roomate (girls only, sorry dudes) since my current roomie is moving out for med school! I live in a 2BR/1BA apartment on 77 Tyler Street, which is on the street right behind the med school campus, right next to the Jaharis building which means it will take you less than a minute to get to class walking! Its basically like living on campus because your so close, its great... The rent is $1400 total (so i pay $700 and you pay $700 per month) and it includes heat and hot water, we only pay electricity and gas...and we just use the school's internet since we live right next to school, lol....so just send me a message (or e-mail me at [email protected]) if your interested or have any questions!

Also if your interested in being my roomate, my old roomate is selling her furniture in her room (queen size bed, desk with shelves, dressor) in case your interested! in case you wanted the room furnished too, so just let me kno!

Is there anyone out there who has done the M.A. in Medical Sciences at Boston University and applied to medical school during that same year? Because I just got in and want to apply this year but Boston is telling me not to and that my grades won't be in in time.....anyone with any advice?

Is there anyone out there who has done the M.A. in Medical Sciences at Boston University and applied to medical school during that same year? Because I just got in and want to apply this year but Boston is telling me not to and that my grades won't be in in time.....anyone with any advice?

Into A medical school yes.

Into BUSM very, very, very rarely.

I had a fellow floridian as a classmate that got into UCF and FIU.

I also know a few who got in DO schools.

I know a few others interviewed places but were waitlisted.

So it can happen. You just will be updating yourself.

Hi!
I was wondering if anyone from previous years knows much about the wait list process here? Have people gotten off the wait list in the past? What should one do to help their application out?

Hi!
I was wondering if anyone from previous years knows much about the wait list process here? Have people gotten off the wait list in the past? What should one do to help their application out?

Man I'm confused because it seems like there are two simultaneous convos in here. One about Tufts and one about BU. If you are referring to Tufts since this is the tufts thread, then the answer is yes.

Last year at the last min. a whole ton of people got off of it but several had already decided on BU MAMS or other programs.

But you should probably call or email Tara Risi for more information.

guju, do you mean last minute as in the week before classes started? or last minute as in by july 15 (the application deadline)? I got into Drexel IMS and I'm currently waitlisted at Tufts MBS, and to be honest I've been leaning towards Tufts- hoping to get in. And is there anything I can do as a waitlisted candidate to help my case?

I really like the idea of getting the MBS with a thesis as well as an MPH as opposed to a certificate for the first your of IMS and just 1 masters degree if i decide to stay for a second year.

guju, do you mean last minute as in the week before classes started? or last minute as in by july 15 (the application deadline)? I got into Drexel IMS and I'm currently waitlisted at Tufts MBS, and to be honest I've been leaning towards Tufts- hoping to get in. And is there anything I can do as a waitlisted candidate to help my case?

I really like the idea of getting the MBS with a thesis as well as an MPH as opposed to a certificate for the first your of IMS and just 1 masters degree if i decide to stay for a second year.

As in right before classes start.

Hey everyone! So I'm def attending the mbs program and I'm so excited. I was just in Boston for the weekend looking at apartments with friends and we found one way out in Brighton. Not sure if the commute is worth it. Do people normally commute from that far? Can I get a good apartment at walking distance? I'm willing to pay up to $800. I'm really confused and I could use some advice! I couldn't find anything cheap enough close to downtown.

Anyone definitely attending MBS need a roommate?? I'm living in Boston right now in the Beacon Hill area. Ideally, I'd like to move closer to campus but I know the immediate area around the school isn't the best place to live. As far as location, I'm thinking either one of the high rises in the downtown area or something in Back Bay near the orange line. Would like to room with someone in the program as it will just be easier with similar priorities/schedule. PM me if you are interested. Since I'm here already it will be pretty easy for me to look into things on this end.

@ sth18: Yeah you can get definitely get cheaper places in Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, Brighton etc. but having lived here for the past 2 years I can tell you it's probably not worth the hassle. I suppose if you're on the Orange Line it would be doable but I can tell you that once the weather here starts to turn you don't want to have a long commute in the morning while braving the elements. Not fun.

is anyone still waiting to hear back about admissions decisions?

I was wait listed in about april, and haven't heard of a further decision since. Risi said that we'd start hearing about a week after July 15th (app deadline).

Hi,

I just finished my MBS at Tufts. I am staying in the city to work in research. I found a 2 bedroom by St. Mary's and Kenmore on the green line. It is just steps from the T!

It's a beautiful, spacious apartment with hardwood floors and decorative fireplaces in each room. Rent for two is 1775, and the rooms are evenly sized, so we'd split!

The apartment is available August 1st, so that will give you a chance to move in early, get settled in, and get to know the city before the program starts!

http://yougotlistings.com/AG-001-299-ABI-001-045
(FYI, the map is wrong. the address is 1065 Beacon Street)

If you are interested, please email me!
[email protected]

I'm still waiting on a decision ! I'm going to call today to see wats going on

Hi,

I just finished my MBS at Tufts. I am staying in the city to work in research. I found a 2 bedroom by St. Mary's and Kenmore on the green line. It is just steps from the T!

It's a beautiful, spacious apartment with hardwood floors and decorative fireplaces in each room. Rent for two is 1775, and the rooms are evenly sized, so we'd split!

The apartment is available August 1st, so that will give you a chance to move in early, get settled in, and get to know the city before the program starts!

http://yougotlistings.com/AG-001-299-ABI-001-045
(FYI, the map is wrong. the address is 1065 Beacon Street)

If you are interested, please email me!
[email protected]
don't live with this person. she's small and angry

I submitted my app June 6th. Haven't heard back so I called today. Initially they said a committee letter was ok but today they told me my app was incomplete bc they need individual letters

Ugh, I don't like this!

Rejected. Terrible GPA, 1500 GRE (no MCAT score when I applied), lots of research/volunteering and decent recs (I can't imagine otherwise). Don't really know what to do for next year.

Rejected. Terrible GPA, 1500 GRE (no MCAT score when I applied), lots of research/volunteering and decent recs (I can't imagine otherwise). Don't really know what to do for next year.

Sorry to hear. did you get in other programs? Did you apply to BU?

I was waitlisted last year but they didn't reject me til right before MAMS started.

You can PM me but what do you mean when you say terrible?

Sorry to hear. did you get in other programs? Did you apply to BU?

I was waitlisted last year but they didn't reject me til right before MAMS started.

You can PM me but what do you mean when you say terrible?

I PM'ed you. Everyone here should know though because I'm really an outlier on the left end of the bell curve. I was a miserable 2.6. I'm hoping to undo damage through a post-bac and a high MCAT score this September. I can only stay positive at this point.

I PM'ed you. Everyone here should know though because I'm really an outlier on the left end of the bell curve. I was a miserable 2.6. I'm hoping to undo damage through a post-bac and a high MCAT score this September. I can only stay positive at this point.

I have faith with a 1500 you are a good test taker at standardized exams and can pull a high MCAT score. If that is the case that will help tremendously. Also there are really 2 options

1. do 2 years of postbac. Maybe something like UPenn Special Science program
2. Do a SMP if one lets you in and maybe if it is like BU MAMS do a couple extra elective classes and show a strong GPA

I have faith with a 1500 you are a good test taker at standardized exams and can pull a high MCAT score. If that is the case that will help tremendously. Also there are really 2 options

1. do 2 years of postbac. Maybe something like UPenn Special Science program
2. Do a SMP if one lets you in and maybe if it is like BU MAMS do a couple extra elective classes and show a strong GPA

I couldn't find any information on Penn's Special Science program's GPA requirements. Do you know what their ballpark range is? I'm just feeling burned right now. I thought the GRE score would offset my bad GPA even a little bit but it didn't. Your advice sounds like gold though. Thanks, gujuDoc, as always. :oops:

I just received my acceptance! Now I have to figure out my living situation. If anyone is looking for a roommate, PLEASE PM me!!

PS I'm male.

I just received my acceptance! Now I have to figure out my living situation. If anyone is looking for a roommate, PLEASE PM me!!

PS I'm male.

congrats! I was just curious, did you get accepted off the wait list?

have any wait listers heard a decision back either way?

I haven't heard anything regarding the wait list. I called tara risi today, but she has conveniently gone on vacation until next Tuesday...what to do what to dooo?

congrats! I was just curious, did you get accepted off the wait list?

have any wait listers heard a decision back either way?

No I was never on the waitlist. I just got all my application materials in last week.

How did everyone receive their acceptance? E-mail or snail mail?

If they still have those status page things there is a way of finding out online. I remember something like that last summer.

When I finally was told I was not accepted it was email contact. But that was late late summer. some other people in my class at BU were accepted around that time I finally got rejected. However, they turned down Tufts to come to my school. I do know though it was til late in the summer when they were reviewing waitlists last year.