Tufts MBS 2010-2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to be that guy, but...if you'd just read through this thread quickly you could answer it yourself, in fact if you just read yesterdays posts even...

I read through, someone says "it can take 2-8 weeks" I was wondering what people are currently experiencing.... hell AMCAS and AACOMAS can take "2-10 weeks" but depending on when you apply it will vary, if you are in day one its 2 weeks, if you are in at peak season its 10+. That was why I asked, was to find out what people have recently experienced, not a range of how long the process COULD take.

Members don't see this ad.

I read through, someone says "it can take 2-8 weeks" I was wondering what people are currently experiencing.... hell AMCAS and AACOMAS can take "2-10 weeks" but depending on when you apply it will vary, if you are in day one its 2 weeks, if you are in at peak season its 10+. That was why I asked, was to find out what people have recently experienced, not a range of how long the process COULD take.

No worries, its just a difficult thing to measure cause each app is different. But my timeline was:
1-Submitted online 12/1
2-Last Rec Submitted over winter break, so probably 1/4 or 1/11
3-Letter of acceptance dated 1/25

so either 2 or 3 weeks i guess, hope it helps

No worries, its just a difficult thing to measure cause each app is different. But my timeline was:
1-Submitted online 12/1
2-Last Rec Submitted over winter break, so probably 1/4 or 1/11
3-Letter of acceptance dated 1/25

so either 2 or 3 weeks i guess, hope it helps

:thumbup: Thanks alot thats more along the lines of what I was looking for. Hopefully mine is similar time frame. If I get word back within a month I can get my money back for my spring quarter extension class. Wasn't included on my applicatoins :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else in limbo as of right now or know anything about their waitlist process?

My gut tells me that instead of outright rejecting people they just put them on the waitlist...

Whatever, I'm not holding my breath, thank god I already have somewhere else to go.

FWIW, ~2.5 - 3 week turnaround seems to be about right once they've received everything.

Anyone else in limbo as of right now or know anything about their waitlist process?

I was waitlisted like a month ago, and when I emailed to check whether or not they've received my form accepting the waitlist offer, they told me:

"Please note that we will not refer to the waitlist until after the July 15th deadline."

I was waitlisted like a month ago, and when I emailed to check whether or not they've received my form accepting the waitlist offer, they told me:

"Please note that we will not refer to the waitlist until after the July 15th deadline."

Really? Who told you this, was it Emily Keily or Tara Risi? And did they even make mention of this deadline in the mailed letter that they sent you or was it only the e-mail? Sorry for the question bombardment, I'm just trying to understand and they haven't picked up the phone to answer any of my questions about it.

I just got my acceptance letter today (woohoo!) but they want my response/$200 deposit by April 7th...which gives me 3 weeks. My issue is that I'm still waiting for the Georgetown SMP to get back to me. I got my Georgetown "application complete" email only 10 days ago, and I'm not too sure about how long Georgetown takes. Advice? Help?

I just got my acceptance letter today (woohoo!) but they want my response/$200 deposit by April 7th...which gives me 3 weeks. My issue is that I'm still waiting for the Georgetown SMP to get back to me. I got my Georgetown "application complete" email only 10 days ago, and I'm not too sure about how long Georgetown takes. Advice? Help?

Congrats. What are your stats?

3.32 overall, 2.95 BCPM, 32T (10PS, 11VR, 11BS). But does anyone know how long it took Georgetown to get back to them? Shorter than the "four weeks" they said? Longer?

Really? Who told you this, was it Emily Keily or Tara Risi? And did they even make mention of this deadline in the mailed letter that they sent you or was it only the e-mail? Sorry for the question bombardment, I'm just trying to understand and they haven't picked up the phone to answer any of my questions about it.

Tara. No, there wasn't any mention of a deadline in the letter. It just said to mail it at my earliest convenience. She just told me about the deadline in the email.

Last year they did just that. But don't assume waitlist means that they are going to reject you. A few of my BU classmates had gotten off the waitlist at the last minute but chose to come to BU instead.

Hey Everyone. I was accepted into the program a few weeks ago and will likely attend this fall. I paid my deposit, but I am waiting to hear from a couple more med schools. Tufts MBS sounds like a great program and I am extremely excited to start. Does anybody know anything about housing near campus? I don't really know anything about Boston, so any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted, but will probably turn it down since I am banking on the few interviews i received. It sucks that they need a quick turn around.

Iadocwest if you don't mind what're your stats?

Hey Everyone. I was accepted into the program a few weeks ago and will likely attend this fall. I paid my deposit, but I am waiting to hear from a couple more med schools. Tufts MBS sounds like a great program and I am extremely excited to start. Does anybody know anything about housing near campus? I don't really know anything about Boston, so any advice would be great.

Congrats!:)
I'm also trying to figure out the whole housing thing since I'm not from Boston... I've heard it's best to try to find room mate(s) either through facebook or tufts off-campus blog: http://ase.tufts.edu/och/viewListing/
That way you can save money since it is really expensive to live in Boston!

There isn't a facebook group made yet for Tufts MBS 2010-2011 probably because it's still early... but on the Tufts listings there are people who are requesting roommates for the next school year~

I'm planning on going to the open house on May 27 and hoping to take a look at some places... In the meantime, I'm regularly browsing both facebook and the Tufts site to see what's out there.

How's everyone else's search for housing??

Accepted, but will probably turn it down since I am banking on the few interviews i received. It sucks that they need a quick turn around.

You should put the deposit in just in case those interviews don't work out. And always withdraw when you get acceptances. that way you have a backup plan.

No problem.
3.54 overall, 3.33 BCMP, 29R MCAT
I also have lots of clinical experience and about 4 1/2 years of research experience. I got my first lab position when I was in High school.

I'm also trying to figure out the whole housing thing since I'm not from Boston... I've heard it's best to try to find room mate(s) either through facebook or tufts off-campus blog: http://ase.tufts.edu/och/viewListing/

There isn't a facebook group made yet for Tufts MBS 2010-2011 probably because it's still early... but on the Tufts listings there are people who are requesting roommates for the next school year~

I'm planning on going to the open house on May 27 and hoping to take a look at some places... In the meantime, I'm regularly browsing both facebook and the Tufts site to see what's out there.

Yeah, I'm sure that I'll figure some thing out. I am open to pretty much anything at this point. I don't think I am going to be able to make it out there to look until June. I'll probably look close to campus. Does anybody have any suggestions for buildings or places to look other than facebook or the Tufts housing site? Im not really sure what the good areas are or what a normal price is? I really wanted to go to the open house, but it happens to be the same as my sister's high school graduation and i can't miss that.

Hello all, I've been in Boston for a few months and know the areas pretty well. I may be able to help. As for finding cheap housing, naturally the further out you go the better your chances. Boston is a relatively small city, so getting from place to place is easy. The med school campus is in chinatown, and has its own stop on the orange line.

Boston U sent me a bunch of useful information when they sent my acceptance packet (a lot more than Tufts at least). Check out this website: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/ohr/

It has some general information about the neighborhoods in Boston, where to look for housing, etc. that should be helpful for Tufts students as well.

You should put the deposit in just in case those interviews don't work out. And always withdraw when you get acceptances. that way you have a backup plan.

Gujudoc! I thought I recognized the avatar. I remember you from the golden age of SDN back in 2005. Hope you're doing well! :)

Can I finish in one year with thesis and earn MS degree instead of certificate?

Thanks!

Gujudoc! I thought I recognized the avatar. I remember you from the golden age of SDN back in 2005. Hope you're doing well! :)

Thanks. I'm in an SMP still trying my best to get in.

Congrats on rad onco. I know its extremely difficult to get into such. Have some fam. friends in the field.

Can I finish in one year with thesis and earn MS degree instead of certificate?

Yeah the library thesis begins in May and ends in Aug, so to get the degree you would have to go from Aug to Aug.

Yeah i looked at those listings as well... a lot of them were on the expensive side and a lot were spam ads from the same owner. Its hard to find a place in a decent location without going there or knowing where to look, so I think the open house will be a good opportunity as well. Hopefully the staff at the open house will be able to guide us in the right direction. FYI, haven't made the final decision on Tufts yet but I will most probably be in the roommate hunt as well.

Hello all, I've been in Boston for a few months and know the areas pretty well. I may be able to help. As for finding cheap housing, naturally the further out you go the better your chances. Boston is a relatively small city, so getting from place to place is easy. The med school campus is in chinatown, and has its own stop on the orange line.

Is there a location near chinatown where there is a higher concentration of students,mI know emerson is nearby. I've heard people speaking of living in cambridge or closer to boston u, but if there is a student-friendly area near the NEMC it would be convenient.

Just got into both Tufts MBS and BUMAMS. After reading these boards for several days I STILL can't make a decision. I'm also waiting to hear from Gtown SMP. I would love if some current students or alums would argue for one of these three over the others. Also can anybody speak to the cost/benefit of pursuing MPH as far as it relates to admission to med school. Will getting an MPH enhance your chances?

Thanks in advance.

PS (since so many people are often interested in stats including myself when i was thinking about applying):

Stats = 2.67bcmp 3.1cum 28Q MCAT
Since these are relatively weak I think my strong research background was what made the difference.

Good luck to all currently waiting to hear back

Last edited:
My strong recommendation is to attend neither of those programs this year, spend the year beefing up your sGPA by taking 400 level undergraduate science classes in biology and chemistry, and then earn an SMP down the road. Such a low sGPA will screen you out of 95% of medical schools - a 3.00 is seems to be the bare minimum for most respectable schools. Fix this first, then pursue a SMP. This was my exact situation two years ago (getting ready to attend an SMP, but am waitlisted at 4 MD programs).

Do not pursue an MPH - it is little more than an extracurriular in the eyes of AdCom.

Just got into both Tufts MBS and BUMAMS. After reading these boards for several days I STILL can't make a decision. I'm also waiting to hear from Gtown SMP. I would love if some current students or alums would argue for one of these three over the others. Also can anybody speak to the cost/benefit of pursuing MPH as far as it relates to admission to med school. Will getting an MPH enhance your chances?

Thanks in advance.

PS (since so many people are often interested in stats including myself when i was thinking about applying):

Since these are relatively weak I think my strong research background was what made the difference.

My strong recommendation is to attend neither of those programs this year, spend the year beefing up your sGPA by taking 400 level undergraduate science classes in biology and chemistry, and then earn an SMP down the road. Such a low sGPA will screen you out of 95% of medical schools - a 3.00 is seems to be the bare minimum for most respectable schools. Fix this first, then pursue a SMP. This was my exact situation two years ago (getting ready to attend an SMP, but am waitlisted at 4 MD programs).

Do not pursue an MPH - it is little more than an extracurriular in the eyes of AdCom.

I'm not sure how many units he already has but I'm not entirely sure that this is the right route. Personally, I see an SMP being more useful. An SMP is made to show that you can academically succeed, while you may not be able to apply during the SMP year with a GPA like that doing extremely well in 1 year of SMP and then applying is likely a better use of time.

I know that even with my GPA of 2.82sci I'd be looking at upwards of 60 units of 4.0 work to even get myself to a 3.0 in MD school's eyes. That'd be an additional 2 years of work, not just one. I feel that respectable programs like Tufts and BU would be great for the application, although I'm no expert.

Thanks in advance.

I got your PM, I'll reply here. With the sub 3 sGPA, you should be aware that many schools will pass on you without a second thought even if you 4.0 the SMP and get a 35 on the MCAT. Thankfully your cGPA is over the 3.0 so you aren't completely screwed. That being said, both programs will serve you well with similar coursework. Curriculum, environment, location, workload are all comparable. BU offers a lot of opportunity to join labs and such, I'm not sure about Tufts but I'm sure they are there to be found. BU does pull in more research bucks than Tufts, which is partially why I chose to go to BU, in addition to the fact that it's more established.

edit: now that i think about it, in your case i'd probably go to tufts, work my butt off and try to nab one of the guaranteed interviews

Last edited:

There is a lot of information and opinions on these forums, but please incorporate actual facts into your calculations when synthesizing the various input:

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

It is more than possible to get into medical school with a <3.0 GPA. It's not easy, but it's clearly doable. Also, I suspect that the main reason to get your GPA above the 3.0 mark is so that you can get into one of the SMPs. But, if your research got you into an SMP (and not just one, but 2 of the top SMPs in the country), then your research will count just as heavily in medical school admissions. That, combined with the demonstration of success in actual med school classes, presents quite a convincing case to adcoms. These top SMPs, with their years of experience sending students successfully off to medical schools, and with their reputations at stake, don't take students who have absolutely no chance of successful admission into med school; that's just nonsense.

Last edited:
bleargh, I am going to definitely disagree with you. You have no proof to back your statements up. I can agree with the statement of schools passing you up if you are talking about a top 10 school or something at that nature, but there are plenty of schools who would see that you ARE capable of performing in medical school and can handle the curriculum, and is thus, a worthy candidate for admission.
Not only that, but if you are getting a 35 on an MCAT, that is pretty damn good, and that alone warrants some interest.

bleargh, you probably forgot too that if you are getting a 4.0 in either one of these programs, you are guaranteed an interview, and will most likely get into that school. Probably should point that out.

ges24, bleargh is not someone I would recommend listening to. Do your best, rock your program, whichever you may choose, and you are going to have a GREAT chance of landing somewhere. It may not be your first choice, but you will get in.

I hate when people throw out stuff stating that you don't have a chance because of your "numbers". Those are only half the equation. Numbers are not going to determine who is going to be the best physician down the road. What you do from medical school on is going to determine that.

Sorry for the venting, but people like bleargh just frustrate me.

ges24, in summary, don't listen to others, rock your program, get into medical school, and become a ten times better physician than some of the guys on here!

There is a lot of information and opinions on these forums, but please incorporate actual facts into your calculations when synthesizing the various input:

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

It is more than possible to get into medical school with a <3.0 GPA. It's not easy, but it's clearly doable. Also, I suspect that the main reason to get your GPA above the 3.0 mark is so that you can get into one of the SMPs. But, if your research got you into an SMP (and not just one, but 2 of the top SMPs in the country), then your research will count just as heavily in medical school admissions. That, combined with the demonstration of success in actual med school classes, presents quite a convincing case to adcoms. These top SMPs, with their years of experience sending students successfully off to medical schools, and with their reputations at stake, don't take students who have absolutely no chance of successful admission into med school; that's just nonsense.
sorry, but they do. that's a fact. they do it knowingly, too. remember that first and foremost the SMPs are entrepreneurial endeavors for the medical schools.

actually, they are attempts to increase the qualified number of physicians as there currently is a shortage (first and foremost), not some attempt to make some capital.

bleargh, I am going to definitely disagree with you. You have no proof to back your statements up. I can agree with the statement of schools passing you up if you are talking about a top 10 school or something at that nature, but there are plenty of schools who would see that you ARE capable of performing in medical school and can handle the curriculum, and is thus, a worthy candidate for admission.
Not only that, but if you are getting a 35 on an MCAT, that is pretty damn good, and that alone warrants some interest.

bleargh, you probably forgot too that if you are getting a 4.0 in either one of these programs, you are guaranteed an interview, and will most likely get into that school. Probably should point that out.

ges24, bleargh is not someone I would recommend listening to. Do your best, rock your program, whichever you may choose, and you are going to have a GREAT chance of landing somewhere. It may not be your first choice, but you will get in.

I hate when people throw out stuff stating that you don't have a chance because of your "numbers". Those are only half the equation. Numbers are not going to determine who is going to be the best physician down the road. What you do from medical school on is going to determine that.

ges24, in summary, don't listen to others, rock your program, get into medical school, and become a ten times better physician than some of the guys on here!

you are a very emotional and somewhat misinformed individual. BU does not guarantee anyone anything and tufts only guarantees interviews, not acceptances, to the top quartile of its class. even 4.0 in tufts or BU can only take you so far. some places out west have interviewers who have not even heard of them. i never said anyone doesn't have a chance, but that deck is stacked, and it is, especially if either GPA is sub 3.0. you can choose to direct this random outburst at me, but i stand by my point as my sources are adcoms at respected but not top-10 schools.

actually, they are attempts to increase the qualified number of physicians as there currently is a shortage (first and foremost), not some attempt to make some capital.
you are sadly mistaken, i have no desire to debate this particular plain-as-day point.

Unfortunately, Bleargh is partially right. If you do not meet the minimum cutoff requirements, your application will not be reviewed. I believe he threw out the 3.0 as a common min requirement for most allopathic schools but if you do not meet the minimum requirements, they will pre-screen reject you. It is no different than if you say applied and were missing a semester of physics or received an F when their requirements said no lower than a C. If you simply met their minimum requirement for them to send you a secondary, then yeah your 4.0 in a SMP would shine through since they are actually willing to review your application.

sorry, but they do. that's a fact. they do it knowingly, too. remember that first and foremost the SMPs are entrepreneurial endeavors for the medical schools.

I would also partially disagree with you. I do agree that a lot of the pricey large (80-100+) student SMP programs are simply a "cash cow" for the medical school itself but to make such a statement seems like you're generalizing too much. I won't throw out examples but there are many programs that only accept around 8-12 students and offer them a reserved seat in the medical school/dental school upon completion. The tuition? 1-25K for one-two years depending on which program you apply to. No they are not Jim Willie's Janitorial school but top 10 osteopathic schools (3-4 of them). But anyway, that is your choice when you apply to "reputable" programs where the whole purpose is to be successful after competing for 2 years with similar minded individuals and ride the name of the program in the ensuing applications. You're paying for the *I survived GTown's SMP" statement and the reputation that the program has and it's definitely not cheap as it is in high demand.

I would also partially disagree with you. I do agree that a lot of the pricey large (80-100+) student SMP programs are simply a "cash cow" for the medical school itself but to make such a statement seems like you're generalizing too much. I won't throw out examples but there are many programs that only accept around 8-12 students and offer them a reserved seat in the medical school/dental school upon completion. The tuition? 1-25K for one-two years depending on which program you apply to. No they are not Jim Willie's Janitorial school but top 10 osteopathic schools (3-4 of them). But anyway, that is your choice when you apply to "reputable" programs where the whole purpose is to be successful after competing for 2 years with similar minded individuals and ride the name of the program in the ensuing applications. You're paying for the *I survived GTown's SMP" statement and the reputation that the program has and it's definitely not cheap as it is in high demand.
you are absolutely right in that i was using a broad brush. your post fills in the gaps nicely, thanks =)

I think jslo85 cleared up a lot of points, thanks. I do understand the 3.0 requirement, i was just venting, but if you are over that 3.0, and ace your smp, than by all means you have just a good of chance as anyone of getting into a school.

and bleargh, I never said you are guaranteed admission, I am only stating that the top 20% at tufts get automatic interviews, and going by statistics and PROBABILITY, if you are rocking a 4.0 in one of their programs, you are going to be accepted into that program. What is a better gauge of if you can handle the medical school curriculum than actually going through that curriculum?

And as far as you and your "adcom" informants, yall can s***k it. His(or them) opinions are exactly that, opinions. There are adcoms all over the nation, and I guarantee they aren't going to have the same thinking as your little friends.

I think jslo85 cleared up a lot of points, thanks. I do understand the 3.0 requirement, i was just venting, but if you are over that 3.0, and ace your smp, than by all means you have just a good of chance as anyone of getting into a school.

and bleargh, I never said you are guaranteed admission, I am only stating that the top 20% at tufts get automatic interviews, and going by statistics and PROBABILITY, if you are rocking a 4.0 in one of their programs, you are going to be accepted into that program. What is a better gauge of if you can handle the medical school curriculum than actually going through that curriculum?

And as far as you and your "adcom" informants, yall can s***k it. His(or them) opinions are exactly that, opinions. There are adcoms all over the nation, and I guarantee they aren't going to have the same thinking as your little friends.
your eloquence is stunning.

Note that he did not say ALL schools will pass up the person, but that some schools will pass up the person which is of course true. However, there are definitely schools that will not judging from past history of people I know who were in a similar situation that is provided you do really well in such a program and possibly retake the MCAT with a stronger score.

but that being stated, it is really variable from situation to situation and there are no hard and fast rules in the game of MD admissions to quote Dr. Offner of BUSM.

It would depend on which school because each school has different policies. Camaras told me of someone who did BU MAMS with a similar GPA to Ges24 and 35+ MCAT that got into albany. I know someone else with similar numbers who got into Wayne state and had several interviews. i've seen yet several others on here with similar stories. i know my old school and BU both look at grad performance for an SMP if it is their own programs over ugrad GPA and My old school in particular will look at later stuff including grad stuff instead of solely focusing on ugrad.

however, many schools will not. That is all bleargh was getting at. He didn't say don't do a program. He said do tufts program. So why the getting mad at him I don't know.

bleargh, what you're suggesting is an incredibly short-sighted business strategy -- if they can't keep their matriculation numbers up, nobody will risk the money to attend their programs. The fact is, these schools do extremely well at getting people in.

We could argue this point back and forth from now until Christmas, but I feel that the numbers (see my post above, directly linking to statistics from the AAMC) strongly contradict the notion that "if you are below 3.0 you have no chance". I know this is the "magic cutoff" that gets tossed around repeatedly on these boards, and that's why I finally (after years of lurking ;) felt the need to offer a contradicting opinion.

bleargh, what you're suggesting is an incredibly short-sighted business strategy -- if they can't keep their matriculation numbers up, nobody will risk the money to attend their programs. The fact is, these schools do extremely well at getting people in.

We could argue this point back and forth from now until Christmas, but I feel that the numbers (see my post above, directly linking to statistics from the AAMC) strongly contradict the notion that "if you are below 3.0 you have no chance". I know this is the "magic cutoff" that gets tossed around repeatedly on these boards, and that's why I finally (after years of lurking ;) felt the need to offer a contradicting opinion.
i have never said <3.0=no chance. but at many schools, that is in fact what it means. re: matriculation numbers, like the caribbean schools, you can't necessarily put 100% faith in the numbers put out by the programs..

Alright guys the argument can end. We all understand my stats are sub par compared to most applicants and that DOES mean that the odds are NOT in my favor, but I won't let that prevent me from trying for my goal. To my very first response: I respectfully doubt that doing well in a post-bacc before going the SMP route will be a valuable use of time as others have said.

That being said, can we please get back to the question at hand and help me decide on either Tufts or BU. I still haven't heard back from Gtown, but even if I do get in I'm thinking I'll prob opt for a two year program which will allow me more time to prove myself as capable. After PMing a couple of experienced people I'm leaning towards Tufts. Can anybody change my mind?

Alright guys the argument can end. We all understand my stats are sub par compared to most applicants and that DOES mean that the odds are NOT in my favor, but I won't let that prevent me from trying for my goal. To my very first response: I respectfully doubt that doing well in a post-bacc before going the SMP route will be a valuable use of time as others have said.

That being said, can we please get back to the question at hand and help me decide on either Tufts or BU. I still haven't heard back from Gtown, but even if I do get in I'm thinking I'll prob opt for a two year program which will allow me more time to prove myself as capable. After PMing a couple of experienced people I'm leaning towards Tufts. Can anybody change my mind?

Tufts is a great program, as I'm sure you know by now, but it's not 2 years -- it's only 1 year of classes, unless you choose to pursue an MPH afterward.
If you do a lab thesis, you must stay until at least November, because they require a 6-month full-time equivalency of lab work (after classes end in May) to complete the lab thesis.
If you do the library option, you can graduate in August, a year after you started the program. However, I have been told by the administrator who processes all the graduation forms that it's quite rare for a library thesis to be completed over the course of the summer -- take that as you will. :) I guess it's probably because most people have a hard time getting their thesis done in 2 months while also sending out all their med school apps that summer.

For those who have been accepted to this program, are you doing the certificate in Biomedical Sciences or the Master's thesis? Also, did anyone get a recommendation that was NOT from a professor/pre-med advisor? I'm considering getting one from the dentist I am shadowing and I wasn't sure if it was a good idea...I looked on the admissions page and didn't really find anything that said it wasn't allowed but I wanted to see if anyone did it on this thread.

ALSO is anyone planning on applying for the 2011 cycle?
Thanks guys!

For those who have been accepted to this program, are you doing the certificate in Biomedical Sciences or the Master's thesis? Also, did anyone get a recommendation that was NOT from a professor/pre-med advisor? I'm considering getting one from the dentist I am shadowing and I wasn't sure if it was a good idea...I looked on the admissions page and didn't really find anything that said it wasn't allowed but I wanted to see if anyone did it on this thread.

ALSO is anyone planning on applying for the 2011 cycle?
Thanks guys!

I really don't see the point in not doing the Master's thesis. You might as well take the extra effort to do the thesis even if the MS is a worthless degree. The library/lab thesis is just one more thing to add to your resume and talk about during interviews. Plus it will help you develop a relationship with a professor who can write you a strong letter of rec. I submitted a letter from a non-prof, and was accepted so I don't think they will count that against you.

Hello all,

I just got a phone call from a very nice lady saying I was accepted into the program! I'm still waiting to hear back from EVMS, Georgetown, Cinci and Drexel, but Tufts is my definite second choice (behind EVMS, simply for the linkage). I was complete only on the 16th of this month, so a very rapid turnaround!

As far as my stats for all those wondering: 3.1 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA, Bio/Public Health dual major.

My question for you: Should I even bother applying this cycle? I'm afraid that my sGPA will screen me out of the majority of secondaries, even with the SMP listed as future coursework. Any and all opinions are welcome, growing up with three brothers and an older sister, I have a thick-skin.

you know, all my tufts friends who applied this cycle concomitantly with the smp year have been rather unsuccessful, and they say that's the case all around. the theory is med schools are holding out for all the grades.. i would save they money if i were you..