Tufts MBS 2010-2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all,

I just got a phone call from a very nice lady saying I was accepted into the program! I'm still waiting to hear back from EVMS, Georgetown, Cinci and Drexel, but Tufts is my definite second choice (behind EVMS, simply for the linkage). I was complete only on the 16th of this month, so a very rapid turnaround!

As far as my stats for all those wondering: 3.1 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA, Bio/Public Health dual major.

My question for you: Should I even bother applying this cycle? I'm afraid that my sGPA will screen me out of the majority of secondaries, even with the SMP listed as future coursework. Any and all opinions are welcome, growing up with three brothers and an older sister, I have a thick-skin.

When was your application complete if you don't mind me asking?

From what I hear its fairly difficult to apply during the SMP year because the majority of schools want to see the grades, which you won't have until December. Other people have said that professors will write you letters updating your progress throughout the year but I'm not sure how helpful that will be because official grades, like i said, won't be available until December or later which is getting fairly late in the season.

I'm in the same boat but debating because my MCAT was taken June 2009, I THINK it should still be good if I wait until after an SMP year to apply, although that puts me at 26 entering school.

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete on March 12. Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking I'm going to need the full year of grades to overcome the sGPA if I choose to attend Tufts, so I'll probably wait to apply. What's another year in the long run?

I was complete on March 12. Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking I'm going to need the full year of grades to overcome the sGPA if I choose to attend Tufts, so I'll probably wait to apply. What's another year in the long run?

:thumbup: I'm in the same boat with a 2.82/2.82, they told me to apply and that their 3.0 cutoff wasn't strict but who knows. I was complete the day before you but haven't heard yet :mad: lol Did you get an e-mail saying you were complete or was it just judging by your status online saying received on everything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Did anyone start a facebook group for Fall 2010 MBS program? If so, what is the name of the facebook group?

Thank You

Hello,

Did anyone start a facebook group for Fall 2010 MBS program? If so, what is the name of the facebook group?

Thank You

I don't think anyone has yet~ I think there's only 2 older Tufts MBS facebook groups

tay33,
if you don't mind me asking, who was the person who wrote your rec that wasn't a professor. I'm asking just the profession i guess.
thanks!

tay33,
if you don't mind me asking, who was the person who wrote your rec that wasn't a professor. I'm asking just the profession i guess.
thanks!

The person who wrote my letter had an MPH and was the director of a clinical volunteer program I did. I think as long as your letter writer has a graduate or professional degree and knows you really well you'll be OK.

hey thought this email from the administration might be useful to some people. they're responding to a few questions I had that are quite frequent on this forum, thus much of it is similar to what has been addressed.

" As for statistics, we have a few rough statistics, as this is only the third year of our program many of our students just applied this last cycle for the first time and thus we don't have any complete information on their Medical School acceptances. So far about 80% of the first MBS class has been accepted to Medical School somewhere, for the second year, they primarily applied just this summer. Here is a sampling of some Medical schools our students have been accepted to: Tufts, Tulane, Creighton, Dartmouth, Emory, Albany, Georgetown, SUNY Downstate, Boston U, U Mass, Univ. California at Davis, Michigan State, Drexel, Eastern Virginia, etc. "

with this new health care reform passed by obama, there will definitely be a shortage of health care professionals in the years to come. So there is hope for all of us sub-par 3.00 GPA-ers!! Let's Kick ASS in SMP and march our butts into med school :D

hey thought this email from the administration might be useful to some people. they're responding to a few questions I had that are quite frequent on this forum, thus much of it is similar to what has been addressed.

" As for statistics, we have a few rough statistics, as this is only the third year of our program many of our students just applied this last cycle for the first time and thus we don't have any complete information on their Medical School acceptances. So far about 80% of the first MBS class has been accepted to Medical School somewhere, for the second year, they primarily applied just this summer. Here is a sampling of some Medical schools our students have been accepted to: Tufts, Tulane, Creighton, Dartmouth, Emory, Albany, Georgetown, SUNY Downstate, Boston U, U Mass, Univ. California at Davis, Michigan State, Drexel, Eastern Virginia, etc. "

again, how is this any different then the list I posted a few pages back that was PM'ed to me by Goobers?

again, how is this any different then the list I posted a few pages back that was PM'ed to me by Goobers?

Well I guess the only addition is Michigan State. Just wanted to show people what the school was reporting to potential students. My bad...

Last edited:

thanks for sharing! great to hear it from the school

Well I guess the only addition is Michigan State. Just wanted to show people what the school was reporting to potential students. My bad...

Oh ok. I see. that's cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about the "MCAT prep" that is part of the MBS program?

Hey Everyone,

I just got accepted last week and wasn't really sure about the program because it is so new, but reading your conversations really helped me solidify my decision to attend.

Just a couple of questions, I am going to move from CA and am thinking about attending the open house, where have you looked at housing ? I have no idea where to even start, never been to Boston.

Hello Everyone,

So I made my decision and will be attending the Tufts MBS program in the fall. I was accepted at UMDNJ MBS and have not heard back from three other places I applied yet. However, I paid my deposit and feel good about my choice.

Has anyone had any luck with housing? I have been using both craig's list and the Tufts University Off-Campus housing site. I have emailed several people but I feel like the off-campus housing site listing is looking for people to move in around now instead of August which is when I would like to move in.

I have been primarily looking in Medford, Somerville, Cambridge, and Malden because I personally cannot afford living in a 1 bedroom in Boston but I am also considering living with one person to find cheaping housing.

Has anyone been lucky with housing?

I wouldn't stress too much about finding housing right now. Listings usually increase after the current school year is over when people are moving out and again towards the middle of summer when everyone is looking for a new place. It would be nice to have a place ready to go way ahead of time, but your options will only increase if you wait a little longer. Did you get the housing database email from Tufts? Should be a good resource for finding potential roommates.

Does anyone know anything about the "MCAT prep" that is part of the MBS program?

I emailed Tufts about this. They told me they offer two different MCAT sessions through PR. Jan-Mar or May-Jul (too late IMO for submitting AMCAS). The class is included w/ tuition (which sucks if you don't need to take it again). It's usually not offered in fall because the course-load is so heavy.

I emailed Tufts about this. They told me they offer two different MCAT sessions through PR. Jan-Mar or May-Jul (too late IMO for submitting AMCAS). The class is included w/ tuition (which sucks if you don't need to take it again). It's usually not offered in fall because the course-load is so heavy.

This is great news, cause I thought there was only a summer course offered, which I think would be too late as well. However I would assume the courseload in the winter would be just as heavy if not more-so.

However I would assume the courseload in the winter would be just as heavy if not more-so.

I thought the same thing, which is why I was considering taking the MCAT this summer instead. I was told some students do drop out of the MCAT course because it's too much work.

I wouldn't stress too much about finding housing right now. Listings usually increase after the current school year is over when people are moving out and again towards the middle of summer when everyone is looking for a new place. It would be nice to have a place ready to go way ahead of time, but your options will only increase if you wait a little longer. Did you get the housing database email from Tufts? Should be a good resource for finding potential roommates.

Thanks for your response!

I thought the same thing, which is why I was considering taking the MCAT this summer instead. I was told some students do drop out of the MCAT course because it's too much work.

That doesnt sound good, I wonder when we'd have to make the decision. i feel the best way to maximize interview/acceptance results is to get stuff in by june/july, and waiting for scores might not be good.

Thanks for this!
Hmm, doesn't sound like they offer them at ideal times... Hopefully, I won't have to worry about it-I'm studying for the MCAT (again) this summer and taking it (hopefully) on July 29...

I spent the last few days in Boston, checking out the neighborhoods, transportation, housing, and Tufts itself. I have to say, I think it is one of the best cities I have visited. I'm from New York, and Boston just had a different vibe about it, even in the pouring rain. I'm really looking forward to living there! My only hesitation for accepting Tufts MBS is the high probability of a gap year.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to try and assuage some people's fear of finding housing. The public transportation in Boston is pretty awesome, and the city itself is relatively small. My friend and I were able to see the entire city in one day using nothing but our own two feet and the T. Talking to different people, I found out you can truly live nearly anywhere in Boston and have a more than reasonable commute. Don't be afraid to look in areas outside of Chinatown. I was staying in Cambridge and it only took about twenty minutes to get to Tufts. Hope this helps!

I have to say, I think it is one of the best cities I have visited.

This is great to hear, having not yet had a chance to see the city myself. The short commute is key and will play a huge role in study habits. What areas did you get see where other students live besides Cambridge. It'd be nice to live somewhat near fellow MBSers.

My last LOR was finally submitted yesterday. It still says "Missing" on the grad website, but if it isn't marked as "received" on Monday I'm definitely giving them a call.

Is there an estimate on the number of applicants this year so far?

For those who have been accepted to this program, are you doing the certificate in Biomedical Sciences or the Master's thesis? Also, did anyone get a recommendation that was NOT from a professor/pre-med advisor? I'm considering getting one from the dentist I am shadowing and I wasn't sure if it was a good idea...I looked on the admissions page and didn't really find anything that said it wasn't allowed but I wanted to see if anyone did it on this thread.

ALSO is anyone planning on applying for the 2011 cycle?
Thanks guys!

Master's Thesis: It lets you continue on to MPH if necessary, plus I want something on my wall that says I actually did something for a year.

Dentist should be fine, after all they admit pre-dental students as well. As long as you have some others from profs.

Considering 2011 app cycle, probably all state-schools and a few SMP-friendly schools. Though my feeling is, go big or go home, so I will probably bank on waiting and doing the MCAT retake to get into the best program I can for 2012.

Paid my deposit today!

Wondering if anyone would be interested in getting a large house for MBS students? I've been looking at different apartment listings, it seems the more bedrooms, the cheaper the rent/utilities. There are a couple of different 5-6 bedroom places I've found that would allow rent to be anywhere from $700-$900 per person, including utilities. Living with people in the same program, we'll be able to study when we have to, relax when we can!

PM me if you have any interest!

I'm a 22 year old man, btw.

Paid my deposit today!

Wondering if anyone would be interested in getting a large house for MBS students? I've been looking at different apartment listings, it seems the more bedrooms, the cheaper the rent/utilities. There are a couple of different 5-6 bedroom places I've found that would allow rent to be anywhere from $700-$900 per person, including utilities. Living with people in the same program, we'll be able to study when we have to, relax when we can!

PM me if you have any interest!

I'm a 22 year old man, btw.

Rent may be cheaper but you've also gotta be careful because with that many people there is more of a mess in common rooms, problems with food and such being shared between roommates. I've had problems with this before when having 5 people in an apartment, and thats with people I had known for a couple of years. Make sure you get to know the people before you decide to do that.

That said, i'm still waiting to hear back. Guess 2 weeks is out of the water, approaching a month before hearing now :(

Does anyone know if people ever get off the waitlist before July 15???? That is pretty late in the game to find out...

thx

Does anyone know if people ever get off the waitlist before July 15???? That is pretty late in the game to find out...

thx

I would imagine so, the program doesn't want to be half full with a month before classes so I'm sure they will move some people.

So does anyone get in to school during the MBS year?

thx

There is someone in the current class who got in off the waitlist just a few days before classes started. I wouldn't count on it happening to you but it is possible

Just got accepted :)

For those who are going (or planning) to live off-campus, do you find a place already?

Also, does anyone ever consider on-campus housing?

Please share if anyone knows something about it.

Just got accepted :)

For those who are going (or planning) to live off-campus, do you find a place already?

Also, does anyone ever consider on-campus housing?

Please share if anyone knows something about it.

Congrats! When were you complete? And what were your stats if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you prefer.

Last edited:
Just accepted to Tufts last week... I'm also waiting to hear from BU and am waitlisted at Gtown, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to Tufts. (Stats are 3.2 GPA, 2.8 BCPM, 31 MCAT)....

I'm not from the Boston area, has anyone else who's been accepted looked into housing?

What are the good areas to live in near the med school?

I'm not sure how to go about writing the personal statement. It asks how the MBS program will help your professional goals. I dont know what else to say except that it will help compensate for my relatively low undergraduate gpa.

You're on your own for this one. Part of being accepted to medical school is being able to understand and articulate the value of your education and experiences. Kind of important for interviews, personal statements, other essays, and future interviews as well. Think hard, the key is to find out what this specific program has that others lack, and why that better suits your needs.

If your having a hard time writing a personal statement. KEEP IT SHORT AND TO THE POINT, meaning 6-10 well written and thoughtful sentences. If "GPA improvement" is the primary reason for applying to the MBS program, highlight that along with your motivation to actually do just that "improve your GPA"
Also, create a draft and visit your respective institutions career services office in order to have it revised.
Hope that helps :)

If your having a hard time writing a personal statement. KEEP IT SHORT AND TO THE POINT, meaning 6-10 well written and thoughtful sentences. If "GPA improvement" is the primary reason for applying to the MBS program, highlight that along with your motivation to actually do just that "improve your GPA"
Also, create a draft and visit your respective institutions career services office in order to have it revised.
Hope that helps :)

I got in touch with the admissions advisor. She made it clear that the statement has to be 2-3 pages. I know why I want this program, but I just don't think I have 2 pages worth of justification.

Basically I like this one because it integrates actual medical school courses so that my grade will be compared to current medical students. I feel that will really show that I am set for success in medical school. I have high MCAT scores and good EC's, but my GPA fell kind of low (i'm an engineering major and I had some family issues during college). I also have a close friend who is in the program this year, and she tells me great things about the people, the city, and the curriculum (not sure if personal relationships are a good topic for the personal statement?).

I feel like I could sum all that up in about a page though. Does anyone else have any advice about what else they talked about in their statement?

I got in touch with the admissions advisor. She made it clear that the statement has to be 2-3 pages. I know why I want this program, but I just don't think I have 2 pages worth of justification.......

I feel like I could sum all that up in about a page though. Does anyone else have any advice about what else they talked about in their statement?

When I wrote my essay, I made it pretty personal and talked about myself and my background, my motivation for becoming a doctor and my experiences. I incorporated all that with why I wanted to go to Tufts and what I hoped to get out of it. Don't forget that you will also have opportunities to do research and volunteer; it's a big school with a lot of opportunities to explore and do different things. Plus you can stay an extra year and get an MPH. Keep it simple and tell them a little about yourself.
Hope this helps...

For those currently in the program, or recently completed, what would you do? (I posted this in the Pre-Med forum to get different opinions)

Quick facts: MI resident, 3.31, 3.2sci, 30Q, Good letters, Research 1.5yrs, extensive hospital jobs + volunteering. 2010 App: No MD interviews. Doing research since January, most likely attending Tufts SMP in fall, w/possible MCAT retake after completion.

Keeping in mind there's a new private school opening in Michigan for 2011 apps. Do I even bother applying to a few local/midwest schools with the prospect of sending midterm SMP grades, or (due to my low numbers) should I just hold off until I'm done and have something significant to show.

My advice to you is to not take the advice of anyone on the SDN forum LMAO. I'd speak with a professional counselor about this. :)

The ones i've spoken to at my old school seem to know less, and some at some other schools have said they aren't supposed to advise non-students.

From what I've read (and I don't exactly remember where but I could look for the article if you want), the new schools have just as many applicants if not more as the already established ones partially because they usually give things like partial or full scholarships to a lot more of their students and because people think it will be easier to get in, but their class sizes are also smaller.
I am in a similar situation, and I am going to wait to apply until after I do the Tufts SMP just so that I can show something substantial on my application. I do not mind waiting an extra year and it seems that having a full year of grades to show is better than just half a year. I want to increase my chances as much as possible.