Tufts MBS 2010-2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If cost isn't an issue, I would attend Tufts, reapply to med school and best case scenario you get into an MD school for 2011. Worst case, you still have the guaranteed spot at MSUCOM. If you perform well, you may be able to pass out of first year classes.

Thanks, this was kind of my idea too. Unfortunately cost is an issue, and moreover, I believe if I am left on the waitlist I have to inform them by september of my decision to attend next year. Alternatively, if I am taken off the waitlist this year I am able to defer my acceptance, though I am unsure of the stipulations and agreements with deferring an acceptance for a year...

Members don't see this ad.

i believe they had an issue with their acceptance, in that the online system made it appear that they were waitlisted when the letter indicated they were accepted... or something of that nature.

weird.

well basically it was a general mistake that new users make in not reading through previous posts in the thread or past threads. Atlanta's situation was the former where a previous poster (buckfmp) had the same problem and it was actually resolved in the ensuing posts. Tay made an offhand remark of how alot of users do not take the initiative to call to ask questions and I guess someone took offense to it.

Anyway, it's really up to you bro (klmnop). Personally if you were having misgivings and it's causing you hesistation, then I would continue striving for your ideal goal (going for MD). If this is something that affects you for the rest of your life, I just can't see myself "settling for something less" when I was given the opportunity to achieve exactly what I want. Before anyone jumps me for the former comment, I am only stating this because he sees the DO profession in a lesser light than the MD and I am trying to view this from his perspective. I've made mistakes in the past and I know how depressing it is to wonder "how things might have been if I had simply taken advantage of a certain opportunity and made a different choice." That said, there was a comment of someone in the past (who had a similar situation in the larger scheme of things but a different background) that I think would apply in your situation, "would you rather be 40 as an EMT wishing you were a doctor? Or would you rather be 40 as a doctor?" In both you come out as a doctor, if the initials and philosophy aren't bothering you so much I'd take the sure thing, if not, follow w/e path your conscience won't cause you to constantly reflect on "what if".

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyway, it's really up to you bro (klmnop).

Thanks for the comment, though I wouldn't necessarily say I think of it as lesser, but because I am just learning about it less than a year ago I am unable to yet equate it. i do know that:
(a) i can guarantee I will not like OMM and will feel silly learning and performing it
(b) I have always only known about MD and most of the people I interact with do as well, and i'm not sure if i want to have to deal with other people's notions of it without fully understanding it myself, and
(c) my main concern is competitive residency placement and specialty choice which happen to be less diverse in osteopathy, as even the AOA site indicates that the purpose of osteopathic medicine is to produce primary care physicians, which i have little interest in.

I was wondering if any former or current Tufts MBS-ers were aware of anyone in similar situations (deferred a DO acceptance) that succeeded to MD after or during the program.

Well OMM is a pretty integral part of the DO student curriculum haha but I do know that there is a large majority of osteopathic physicians who choose not to use OMM at all in their practice. If you want you can check the osteopathic thread and read about how excited/annoyed some osteopathic students are while learning OMM. There are quite a few that feel the same way as you.

Residency placement is highly arguable but in general yes primary care is a strength of the general DO profession. IM, FM, Peds, and EM now all have a pretty healthy number of osteopathic residents in them. General surgery I believe is another one that is starting to be more receptive to DO students (don't quote me on this) but what should actually concern you more in my opinion is go look at MSU's match lists for previous years and find its statistics on matching students who want specialties. If you take KCOM for example, they match about 30% of their students into primary care and the rest into specialties. It depends on the school you go to really. Western and PCOM and CCOM are also ones that have a very high match rate for osteopathic schools for their students into specialties. I have no idea about MSU. You have the choice of applying to AOA residencies, it's an option you have as a DO for spots that are only reserved for osteopathic students who take the COMLEX. But if you want a ROADS residency then I can quite honestly say ostoepathic students barely get in as compared to their MD counterparts, however you want to take that. Depends what you want to become.

what should actually concern you more in my opinion is go look at MSU's match lists for previous years and find its statistics on matching students who want specialties.

I did some searches and unfortunately it appears MSUCOM doesn't publish this data because of a transitional year requirement of all students staying in michigan. I didn't really understand what that was.

I did find these however, the first is a look at all the 2010 AOA residency positions and matches: http://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?au=D&PageId=aoa_profmain&SubPageId=sir_match10res

And the second is the NRMP residency match data for all applicants in 2009, broken down by applicant type (including DO in some cases), specialty type, and location: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2009.pdf

Unfortunately I do not believe there is a published master list indicating from which schools these positions were filled, which would be very informative.

does anybody know how many current MBS students out of ~100 have received interviews/acceptances/pre-interview rejections for this app cycle?
I'll have to dig up the statistics they sent around, but off the top of my head I believe that as of about 11/2009, around 15 MBS students had been accepted to Tufts. Total. This is from a pool of roughly 150 students from the first two MBS classes. Do not come here expecting to get into Tufts.

Second, I'd like to know how MBS students feel about the competitiveness of the program.
It's a mixed bag. Competitiveness is certainly associated with better grades, but not all people who are doing well are that "hard-edged" competitive type.

I'm willing and committed to work hard in either program, but I've heard that it is so cut-throat at Georgetown to the point that people don't bother making friends and that the medical students look to their post-bacc counterparts with a condescending eye.
Again, it's a matter of degree. If you look for unfriendly MBS'ers and condescending MS1's, you'll find both at Tufts (you will also find professors - particularly the ones who are also clinicians - who do not seem to take the MBS program as seriously). That being said, most MBS students are approachable, most med students are friendly & eager to help you succeed, and most professors take the MBS students as seriously as they do the med students.

One thing you should be aware of though. The grading schemes for most of the classes are kinda sketchy. At the info session, I recall the program director made a big deal of how MBS students will be graded against the medical school class. This is not a lie, but it's a somewhat deceptive truth.

When the program is over, they'll send out letters saying something like "Alexa89 did well in the MBS program, if s/he were in the Medical School class, s/he would have been in the Xth percentile." So in this sense you will be ranked versus the medical school class. However, when it comes to GPA, your grades will mostly reflect how you did relative to the MBS class average on exams. Some classes do grade you against the MD class, but (at least 2nd semester), most of the grading is relative to other MBS students, as far as I can tell. Throw in the part about the top 25% receiving automatic interviews, and I'd say you'd be justified in calling the program competitive.

Lastly, I'm completely torn between these two programs, and if any of you were in my shoes last year and had decided to go with Tufts over Georgetown, I'd love to get your thoughts.
Go wherever you have more social supports.

Addit: one other thing I forgot to mention. I interviewed at Tufts and was surprised to find that none of my interviews even knew what the MBS program was. Combine this with the ~10% acceptance rate, and it does not really seem to me that the MBS program is much of a "back-door" into Tufts...

Last edited:
Hello,

I have questions to those who got accepted... I was wondering if you applied with your GRE or MCAT.
Also, does anyone knows what would be an acceptable GRE scores for this program?
THANKS~

Hello,

I have questions to those who got accepted... I was wondering if you applied with your GRE or MCAT.
Also, does anyone knows what would be an acceptable GRE scores for this program?
THANKS~

Hello all,

I was recently accepted into the program!!!! I just checked like 10mins ago and I applied with only GRE scores. I did not take the MCAT..

Hope this helps.

Hello all,

I was just accepted into the Tufts-MBS program. I am super happy but I wasn't sure if I was going to get honestly because i think reading this forum can be a little discouraging at times.

However, my question is which program should I choose? I am still waiting to hear back from UMDNJ-MBS/MPH admission committee, which this is actually the program I set my mind on getting into from the start since I am a Jersey resident and it seems to be fairly cheap compared to the other programs

Tufts vs UMDNJ...which program is better? and why?

Hello all,

I was recently accepted into the program!!!! I just checked like 10mins ago and I applied with only GRE scores. I did not take the MCAT..

Hope this helps.

Congrat Diva09!

I was debating whether I should just apply with my GRE score or not because on the web it says that MCATs are strongly preferred. I hope tufts wont be like BU where they expect 70 percentile or higher on each section...
I did well on quantitative section (780), but did not quite reach 70 percentile for verbal... do you think i have chance for Tufts? :confused:

Hello all,

I was just accepted into the Tufts-MBS program. I am super happy but I wasn't sure if I was going to get honestly because i think reading this forum can be a little discouraging at times.

However, my question is which program should I choose? I am still waiting to hear back from UMDNJ-MBS/MPH admission committee, which this is actually the program I set my mind on getting into from the start since I am a Jersey resident and it seems to be fairly cheap compared to the other programs

Tufts vs UMDNJ...which program is better? and why?

Is this the Newark campus UMDNJ program? I think both are good. tufts is fast gaining a stronger reputation amongst schools outside of just tufts but umdnj would possibly help you get into Newark's NJMS or RWJ. So that would help you esp. if you want to stay in NJ for med school.

So I would consider it if I were you.

Is this the Newark campus UMDNJ program? I think both are good. tufts is fast gaining a stronger reputation amongst schools outside of just tufts but umdnj would possibly help you get into Newark's NJMS or RWJ. So that would help you esp. if you want to stay in NJ for med school.

So I would consider it if I were you.

Hello,

thanks for your advise!! It's the Newark campus and I still haven't heard back from them. I don't necessarliy want to stay in Jersey for med-school and I still applied to three other programs. The problem is the deposit for Tufts is due at the end of this month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

thanks for your advise!! It's the Newark campus and I still haven't heard back from them. I don't necessarliy want to stay in Jersey for med-school and I still applied to three other programs. The problem is the deposit for Tufts is due at the end of this month.

I'd put down a deposit regardless of whether you go there. its a small amount compared to what you will have paid by the time applications and interviews are over or even compared to tuition for these programs. and that amount is an insurance policy that you have somewhere for the fall.

I'd put down a deposit regardless of whether you go there. its a small amount compared to what you will have paid by the time applications and interviews are over or even compared to tuition for these programs. and that amount is an insurance policy that you have somewhere for the fall.

Yes I agree...I am just confused as to which program to choose if I get into UMDNJ..but when that time comes I will make a decision. I just wanted to know which program will be better for a person who is not necessarily interested in going to med-school in NJ but else where.

Thanks again and if you have any other further insights that would be great!

look at MSU's match lists for previous years and find its statistics on matching students who want specialties.

This may be too off topic now, but I found the links to the MSUCOM matches for the last three years.

2009 http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/CL09Rev.List.TXT
2008 http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/classof2008osteopathicmatch.txt
2007 http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/Classof2007OsteopathicMatch.txt

it seems (for 2009 at least) about 90% stay in Michigan, about 50% do internal med, family practice, or a traditional rotation, and probably 25-30% go to Osteo-specific hospitals, though it is unclear what percentage of these are AOA residencies. lastly, the percent matched (of those participating) has decreased over the past three years from 95 to 91 to 85%. and interestingly enough 45 of 202 didn't participate in 2009, leaving an actual match rate of 66%.

I was looking more for something like this but it's still not perfect as I recall seeing one with lists of schools and how many of their students went into primary care as opposed to specialties as well as what % got their 1st choice etc.

Just surfing around PCOM and found that their 2009 Match List is out.

2009 PCOM-PA Match List:

Anesthesiology
Hahnemann University-PA
Temple University Hospital
Thomas Jefferson University
UPMC Medical Education Program
Univ. Arkansas-Little Rock

Diagnostic Radiology
Henry Forde Macomb-Warren Campus
Mercy Catholic
Emergency Medicine
Baystate Medical Center-MA
Brooke Army Medical Center
Drexel University/Hahnemann University Hospital
Geisinger Health System
LECOM/ Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital
Madigan Army Medical Center
NYU School of Medicine
PCOM/Albert Einstein Medical Center (2)
PCOM/ Frankford Hospitals
St. Barnabas Health Care System
St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University
UMDNJSOM/Kennedy Memorial/University Medical (3)

Emergency Medicine/ Internal Medicine
Ohio Valley Medical Center
York Hospital-PA

Family Medicine & Family Practice
Bryn Mawr Hospital (3)
Chino Valley Medical Center
Eisenhower Army Medical Center
Erlanger Medical Center
LECOM/Washington Hospital
Martin Army Community Hospital
Mercy Suburban Hospital (2)
Naval Hospital (Jacksonville)
NSUCOM/North Broward Hospital District
NSUCOM/ Saint Vincent's Medical Center (2)NYCOM/ Jamaica HospitalProvidence Hospital-DC
PCOM/ Frankford Hospitals (3)
PCOM/Geisinger Health System
PCOM/ Latrobe Area Hospital
PCOM/ Lehigh Valley Hospital Health Network (3)
PCOM/ Pinnacle Health General Hospital
PCOM/ Sacred Heart Hospital
PCOM/Saint Joseph Medical Center
PCOM/St. Luke's Hospital (2)
PCOM/UPMC Shadyside Hospital
PCOM/Williamsport Hospital (3)
Tripler Army Medical Center
UMDNJSOM/Christ Hospital
UMDNJSOM/Kennedy Memorial/University Medical (2)
UNECOM/University of Massachusetts
University of Arizona
Wilson Memorial Regional Medical Center (2)

General Surgery
Berkshire Medical Center-MA
Christiana Care-DE (2)
Mercy Suburban Hospital
Naval Medical Center-Portsmouth
Naval Medical Center-San Diego
OUCOM/Grandview Hospital & Medical Center
PCOM/Geisinger Health System (2)
PCOM/Philadelphia Consortium (5)
Pitt County Memorial Hospital/Brody SOM-NC
Temple University Hospital-PA
UPMC Horizon
Preliminary Surgery
Waterbury Hospital-CT
Preliminary Internal Medicine
PCOM/ Geisinger Health System (2)
Abington Memorial Hospital

Internal Medicine/ UIH
University Illinois COM - Chicago
Internal Medicine/Pediatrics
Christiana Care-DE (2)
Hershey Medical Center/Penn State - PA
Loyola University Med. Center - IL (2)
Internal Medicine
Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center-AZ
Brooke Army Medical Center
Case Western/MetroHealth Medical Center-OH
Christiana Care-DE
Cleveland Clinic (2)
Crozer Chester Hospital
Crozer Chester Medical Center (3)
Drexel University/Hahnemann University Hospital (4)
Georgetown University Hosp.-DC
Hahnemann University Hospital
Hershey Medical Center/Penn State University-PA
Madigan Army Medical Center (Ft. Lewis)
Maine Medical Center
Mercy Catholic Medical Center (2)
Mercy Suburban Hospital (3)
Methodist Health System- Dallas
National Naval Medical Center-Bethesda
Northside Hospital and Heart Institute
PCOM
PCOM/Abington Memorial Hospital (2)
PCOM/ Frankford Hospitals (2)
PCOM/ Geisinger Health System (4)
PCOM/ Lankenau Hospital
PCOM/ Pennsylvania Hospital
PCOM/ Philadelphia Consortium (4)
PCOM/Reading Hospital and Medical Center
St. Luke's - Roosevelt - NY
St. Vincent's Hospital - NY
Temple University Hospital - PA (3)
Thomas Jefferson University- PA
UMDNJ/ Robert Wood Johnson
UMDNJ/ Kennedy Memorial/ University Medical Center (3)
UPMC Mercy Hospital - PA (2)
Virginia Commonwealth Univ. Health System
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Washington Hospital Center
Wright Patterson Air Force Base
Internship
Crozer-Chester Medical Center (4)
Crozer-Keystone Health System
Delaware County/ Crozer-Keystone (6)
LECOM/ Western Pennsylvania Hospital (2)
Long Beach Medical Center
Madigan Army Medical Center (Ft. Lewis) (2)
Mercy Catholic Medical-PA
Montgomery Regional Hospital
Naval Medical Center-Portsmouth
NYCOM/Long Beach Med. Center Nassau University Medical Center
NYCOM/Maimonides Medical Center
NYCOM/Nassau Univ. Med. Center
NYCOM/Peninsula Hosp. Center
PCOM/ Abington Memorial Hospital (3)
PCOM/ Albert Einstein Medical Center (3)
PCOM/ Frankford Hospitals (3)
PCOM/ Christiana Care Riverside
PCOM/ Lankenau Hospital (4)
PCOM/ Lehigh Valley Hosp. Health Net (7)
PCOM/ Saint Joseph Med. Center
PCOM/ UPMC Shadyside (2)
St. John's Episcopal Hosp.
St. Joseph's Hospital NPHS (7)
St. Luke's Hospital- Allentown (2)
UMDNJ/ Kennedy Memorial/ University Medical Center
University Hospitals Richmond Medical Center
UPMC Mercy (2)
UPMC Pittsburgh
Walter Reed Army Medical Center (2)

Neurology
Drexel University/Hahnemann University Hospital-PA

Neurological Surgery
PCOM/Philadelphia Consortium (2)

Obstetrics & Gynecology
Baystate Medical Center - MA
Lankenau Hospital - PA
Mercy Suburban Hospital
PCOM/Lourdes Medical Center Burlington (2)
Reading Hospital Medical Center - PA
Rush University Med. Center - IL
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson - Camden
York Hospital - PA

Ophthalmology
MSUCOM/Hillsdale Community Health Center

Orthopedic Surgery
Memorial Hospital-PA
NSUCOM/North Broward Hospital District
PCOM/ Philadelphia Consortium (3)
PCOM/ Pinnacle Health General Hospital (2)
University Hospitals Richmond Medical Center

Oto-Facial Plastic Surgery
PCOM/Philadelphia Consortium

Pathology
Pennsylvania Hospital

Pediatrics
Albert Einstein Medical Center
Hershey Med. Center/Penn State - PA (2)
INOVA Fairfax Hospital
Thomas Jefferson University/ DuPont Children's Hospital (4)
Nationwide Children's Hospital - OH
Orlando Health Regional Healthcare - FL
PCOM/Geisinger Health System (3)
St. Christopher's Hospital-PA (2)
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
UMDNJ/ Robert Wood Johnson-Piscataway-NJ
UMDNJSOM/Children's Hospital - Cooper
Walter Reed Army Medical

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Walter Reed Army Hospital-DC
Temple University -PA (4)
Jefferson Hospital-PA (2)
University Pittsburgh Medical Center
Psychiatry
Albany Medical Center Hospital
Allegheny General Hospital - PA
St. Vincent's Hospital
Walter Reed Army Medical

2009 PCOM-GA Match List:

Anesthesiology
Grandview Hospital & Medical Center
U Kentucky Med Center
Henry Ford HSC-MI
Albert Einstein
Emergency Medicine
Kent Hospital
Earl K Long Med Center
Botsford Hospital (2)
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
Darnall Army Community Hospital
Emory University Hospital
Darnall Army Medical Center
Medical College Georgia-Augusta
Family Medicine
Atlanta Med Center
Baptist Health Hospitals
Cabell Huntington Hospital
Carolinas Medical Center
Columbus Regional Health Care System Florida Hospital East Orlando (2)
Floyd Medical Center (2)
McLean Regional Medical Center
Medical College of Georgia
Naval Hospital (Pendleton)
Pacific Hospital of Long Beach
St. Vincent's Med Center-FL
Southern Regional Area Health Center
Utah Valley Regional Med Center
Williamsport Hospital
General Surgery
Internal Medicine
Memorial University Med Center
Botsford Hospital
Northside Hospital & Heart Institute
Swedish Covenant Hospital
Walter Reed army Medical Center
U Tennessee COM-Memphis (2)
Carillion Medical Center
St Vincent's Hospital-NY
US Air Force Medical Center Kessler
Georgetown University
Kennedy Memorial/University Medical Center
Beth Israel Medical Center-NY
Internal Medicine/Pediatrics
U Illinois COM-Chicago
Preliminary Internal Medicine
Jersey Shore University Med Center
U Tennessee COM-Memphis
Obstetrics-Gynecology
Monmouth Medical Center-NJ
Pathology
Texas A&M-Scott & White
Pediatrics
Memorial Health University Med Center
St. Christopher's Hosp for Children
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Univ. Alabama Medical Center-Birmingham
Emory University
Psychiatry
Palmetto Health Richland-SC
Kennedy Memorial Hospital/Our Lady of Lourdes
Radiology
Christiana Hospital-DE
Diagnostic Radiology
Medical College Georgia-Augusta

Research Ocular Oncology
Wills Eye Institute in Philadelphia
Traditional Internship
Bluefield Regional Medical Center
Charleston Area Medical Center
Columbus Regional Health Care System (2)
DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Eisenhower Army Medical Center (2)
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
Henry Ford Hospital - Wyandotte
Kennedy Memorial
Naval Medical Center Portsmouth (2)
Northside Hospital & Heart Institute (3)
Madigan Army Medical Center
Medical Center of Columbus-GA
Montgomery Regional Hospital
St. Petersburg General Hospital
William Beaumont Army Medical Center (2)
Urological Surgery
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital

This one is PCOM's but if you can find one for your respective school and extrapolate what you want from it that would be cool. I think PCOM had more PC matches this year than usual but it's one of the schools who traditionally gets their students into specialties more so than primary care. KCOM is another and Western as well.

This is KCOM's 2008 one.

ATSU-KCOM 2008 Match List
unofficial (self-reported)
Anesthesiology
St. Louis University Hospital Allopathic (2)
Shands Healthcare at UF University of Florida Allopathic (2)
Milton S. Hershey Medical Center Penn State Allopathic
Via Christi Medical Center KU Allopathic
UW Medical Center U of Washington Allopathic
Northeast Regional Medical Center KCOM Osteopathic
Grandview Medical Center Ohio University Osteopathic
Emergency Medicine
University Medical Center University of Nevada Allopathic
Shands Medical Center University of Florida Allopathic
Akron City Hospital -Summa Health System NEOUCOM Allopathic
Indiana University Indiana University Allopathic
OSF St. Francis University of Illinois - Peoria Allopathic
York Hospital Allopathic
UNC Hospitals/Wake Med UNC-Chapel Hill Allopathic
Brooke Army Medical Center Allopathic
Genesys Regional Medical Center MSU Dual
Grandview Hospital Ohio University Osteopathic
Henry Ford Macomb MSU Osteopathic
St. James MWU, CCOM Osteopathic
Doctor's Hospital Ohio University Osteopathic
Botsford Hospital MSU Osteopathic

ENT

Genesys Regional Medical Center MSU Osteopathic
Freeman Health System KCUMB-COM Osteopathic
ENT/Facial Plastic Surgery
POH Medical Center MSU Osteopathic
Family Medicine
Navy Hospital Camp Pendleton UCSD Allopathic
University of Missouri Allopathic
Mayo Clinic Allopathic (2)
University of Colorado Allopathic
St. Cloud Hospital University of Minnesota Allopathic
Memorial Hospital Allopathic
Rose Hospital University of Colorado Allopathic
Franciscan Skemp Mayo Allopathic
St. John's SLU Allopathic
Cox Health Allopathic
Sacred Heart, Deaconess & Mt. Carmel Univ of WA Allopathic
St Elizabeth SLU/Scott Air Force Base Dual
St. John's/Memorial Medical Center Southern Illinois University
Dual
Maine Dartmouth/Maine General Hospital Dartmouth Dual
Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center University of Wisconsin Dual
Southern Colorado Family Medicine - St. Mary Corwin Dual
Carle Hospital University of Illinois Dual
Via Christi Medical Center KU Dual
St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center Dual
Resurrection Medical Center MWU, Loyola, UIC Dual
Madigan Army Medical Center Army Dual
St. Mary's Hospital University of Wisconsin/DMU-COM Dual
Wyoming Medical Center University of Wyoming, KCOM, DMCOM
Dual
Northeast Regional Medical Center KCOM Osteopathic
Family Medicine/Integrative Medicine
Maine General Medical Center Dartmouth Dual
General Surgery
Keesler AFB University of Mississippi Allopathic
Metropolitan Hospital MSU Osteopathic
Memorial Hospital Osteopathic
Northeast Regional Medical Center KCOM Osteopathic (2)
Plaza Medical Center Osteopathic

IM/EM/CC

Long Island Jewish Albert Einstein & NYU SoM Allopathic
Internal Medicine
Cleveland Clinic Allopathic
Hennepin County Medical Center Allopathic
Kaiser Permanente Allopathic
Gundersen Lutheran University of Wisconsin Allopathic
St. John's Mercy Medical Center Allopathic
Sacred Heart/Deaconess Medical Center U of Washington
Allopathic
Cooper University Hospital UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson
Allopathic (2)
University of Nebraska Medical Center-Omaha Allopathic
National Naval Medical Center Dual
Brooke Army Medical Center Dual
Freeman Health System Oklahoma State Osteopathic
OSU Med Center OSU-COM Osteopathic
Metro Health Hospital Osteopathic
Internal Medicine-Psychiatry
Medical University of South Carolina Allopathic

Med/Peds

Albany Medical Center Albany Medical College Allopathic
Tampa General Hospital University of South Florida Allopathic
University of Nebraska Medical Center-Omaha Allopathic
St. Francis Medical Center University of Illinois Allopathic

Neurology

Cleveland Clinic Allopathic
Neurosurgery
Mercy Health System PCOM Dual

Ob/Gyn

Morristown Memorial Hospital Allopathic
Akron General Medical Center NE Ohio Universities Allopathic
Guam Community Hospital Allopathic
University Medical Center University of Nevada Allopathic
St. Vincent's Allopathic
National Naval Medical Center Dual
St. Joseph's Mercy-Oakland MSU Dual
Kennedy Health System UMDNJ-COM Osteopathic
Genesys Regional Medical Center KCOM Osteopathic
Grandview Hospital Osteopathic
Henry Ford Macomb MSU Osteopathic
St John's Episcopal Hospital TUCOM Osteopathic
Orthopedic Surgery
Eisenhower Army Medical Center Medical College of Georgia
Allopathic
Des Peres KCOM Osteopathic (2)
Memorial Hospital Osteopathic
Garden City MSU Osteopathic

Pathology

Evanston Hospital Northwestern University Allopathic
Walter Reed Army Medical Center Dual

Pediatrics

University of New Mexico UNM Allopathic
St. Joseph's Allopathic
Children's Mercy Hospital UMKC Allopathic
Kosair Children's Hospital University of Louisville Allopathic
University of Maryland Medical Center Allopathic
Goryeb Children's Hospital Allopathic
Children's Hospital Central California UCSF Allopathic
Palmetto Health Richland-SC University of South Carolina
Allopathic
University Hospital MU Allopathic
Akron Children's Hospital Northeast Ohio Universities Allopathic
Arkansas Children's Hospital UAMS Allopathic
St. John Hospital Dual
Good Samaritan Hospital NYCOM Dual
Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital Case Western Dual
Physical Medicine & Rehab
Loyola University Medical Center Loyola University Allopathic

Psychiatry

Maricopa Medical Center Allopathic
St. Vincent's Medical Center New York Medical College Allopathic
Palmetto Richland Univ. of South Carolina Allopathic
Banner Good Samaritian Allopathic
OHSU Oregon Health & Science University Allopathic
Radiology
Madigan Army Med Center Dual
Garden City Hospital MSU Osteopathic
Radiology, Diagnostic
St. Luke's Hospital of Kansas City UMKC Allopathic
Traditional Rotating Internship-Osteopathic
Capital Regional Medical Center (2)
Northside Hospital (2)
Genesys Regional Medical Center MSU
Berkshire Medical Center NECOM, UMass
Oakwood Southshore
Good Samaritan Hospital NYCOM

off topic but yeah. I mean all of this shouldn't be the deciding factor in where you want to go klmnop but in your case it might factor in as part of the decision making process if you ever see the match list for MSU in whether or not that school would potentially give you a shot at w/e specialty you wish to enter based off past results.

ok back to business.

Did any of the current MBS-ers (centralMD, Goobers, or any others) go to the Open House in May? It's only an hour and a half so I'm wondering if its worth the trip coming from the midwest. If so, what exactly do you get to do, see, and hear from. Is it worth attending and did it help you make your decision?

I didn't go to the open house since my two weeks were up and I had already told BU no by the time it rolled around. It might be go for finding a roommate though.

Congrat Diva09!

I was debating whether I should just apply with my GRE score or not because on the web it says that MCATs are strongly preferred. I hope tufts wont be like BU where they expect 70 percentile or higher on each section...
I did well on quantitative section (780), but did not quite reach 70 percentile for verbal... do you think i have chance for Tufts? :confused:

Hello,

Thanks Medimed!!! Hmmmm as I mentioned before I applied with only my GREs and made no indication that I will be taking the MCAT anytime soon. I think your math score is very competitive and even though you stated that your verbal is not in the 70th percentile I say still apply. It doesn't hurt to try because you never know you might just get in. If you like the program then just turn in your app and let the committee decide.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!!

diva09 congrats!

I was wondering how long did it take for you to hear back from tufts from when you application was complete? and have you heard back from bu yet?
Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks Medimed!!! Hmmmm as I mentioned before I applied with only my GREs and made no indication that I will be taking the MCAT anytime soon. I think your math score is very competitive and even though you stated that your verbal is not in the 70th percentile I say still apply. It doesn't hurt to try because you never know you might just get in. If you like the program then just turn in your app and let the committee decide.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!!

Hmm well if you are not necessarily wanting to stay in NJ for med school then I think Tufts program is better. But that's my opinion.

diva09 congrats!

I was wondering how long did it take for you to hear back from tufts from when you application was complete? and have you heard back from bu yet?
Thanks!

Thanks penguin15!!! Well my application was complete on January 27, 2010. I did not receive an application complete email I just kept checkong the status of my app everyday and noticed everything was in by the 27th of January. I noticed on Sunday March 7, 2010 that I was accepted into the program. So I would say that took about 7 weeks or so. I think they state it takes 6 to 8 weeks to receive a decision. Some people hear back earlier then others. Mine took about 7 weeks though.

To answer your second question. I truthfully just turned in my application fee for BU SMP on last Wednesday because my top choices were UMDNJ and Tufts MBS programs. But since it was taking so long to hear back from them I just went ahead and turned the fees in for some of the other programs I was looking into to.

So I am not sure when I will hear back from BU...

I hope this helps and good luck!!!!

Hmm well if you are not necessarily wanting to stay in NJ for med school then I think Tufts program is better. But that's my opinion.

Hello,

Thank you once again for your advice. I definitely agree. I actually talked to an Assistant Dean at one of the top med schools in the US and she agreed that I should go with Tufts over UMDNJ. She has nothing against UMDNJ but she feels the structure of the Tufts program is a little bit better. She said depsite the newness of the program the fact that Tufts is an excellent school, 7 out of the 9 classes are med school course, and there is an MCAT prep component you can't beat that. Plus I can still do the combined MBS/MPH I wanted to do at UMDNJ so I feel like Tufts might be a better choice me.. It just sucks that its so expensive but hey...

Thanks diva09 for the response that helps! your situation seems very similar to mine I am also a New Jersey resident whose top choices are bu tufts and umdnj. I was just rejected from bu (it took about 3 weeks) but i'm still hoping for tufts and i was accepted to stratford (still waiting on newark) so i guess we will see. good luck to u too!

Thanks diva09 for the response that helps! your situation seems very similar to mine I am also a New Jersey resident whose top choices are bu tufts and umdnj. I was just rejected from bu (it took about 3 weeks) but i'm still hoping for tufts and i was accepted to stratford (still waiting on newark) so i guess we will see. good luck to u too!

Hey again,

No problem penguin15. I actually have not heard back from UMDNJ Newark campus yet so I only have one acceptance. Sorry to hear about BU though. But at least you have somewhere to go for right now but I truly hope you hear good news from both Newark campus and Tufts!!

Good Luck and I wish you the best!!!!

diva09 congrats!

Thanks!

Which GMS program were you rejected from at BU? The Oral health track at the dental school or the medical school one? The former is harder to get into.

the oral health track

yeah the oral health track program is really, really, really tough to get into from what I've been told. There is always the option of applying to the medical version of GMS though which is what some kids consider doing like at least 4 in my program.

for dental I think UMDNJ-Newark is the best bet or Barry University's MBS though I'd bank on UMDNJ over that one. Tufts might be good to. I haven't heard of much dental people being in their program though.

Hey guys, can anyone post a list of housing available around the school? I have heard of the Metropolitan, but is there any other, and perhaps some that may be a tad cheaper? It would be greatly appreciated!

gujuDoc,

I guess that makes me feel better haha. On the BU app there is a section were you can pick the medical version as your second option (which i did) so i guess there is prob no point in reapplying for that option?

Barry really? have you heard good things? I would think Nova would be better b/c it has an actual dental school.

gujuDoc,

I guess that makes me feel better haha. On the BU app there is a section were you can pick the medical version as your second option (which i did) so i guess there is prob no point in reapplying for that option?

Barry really? have you heard good things? I would think Nova would be better b/c it has an actual dental school.

Yeah nova is the better option if you can get into their own program itself, but my understanding is Barry has strong contacts with Nova which is why people used to go there for predental SMP like programs. but yes if you could get into Nova MBS itself that is probably better.

Hey guys, can anyone post a list of housing available around the school? I have heard of the Metropolitan, but is there any other, and perhaps some that may be a tad cheaper? It would be greatly appreciated!

If you don't get a response here, you might want to ask in the school threads for Tufts med applications in the preallo subforum. I have a couple of friends there but not sure much about living on that side of boston.

if bleargh is around he might know because he knows boston pretty well. Otherwise, PM Goobers or CentralMD or Moo.

Hello,

So I received my acceptance into the combined degree program for UMDNJ today. But I realized that I can also do a MBS/MPH at Tufts as well. I just need to call the admission committee to see how that works and if I need to apply to the Public Health School. If anyone knows about the combined degree program that would be great!

Thanks... Still need to decided which school though..

gujuDoc,

Try this thread for more information. Apparently the OP did both SMPs and is a D1/D2 at Nova afterward during the time of the thread.

Try this thread for more information. Apparently the OP did both SMPs and is a D1/D2 at Nova afterward during the time of the thread.

I think you forgot to give them the link for whatever thread you were talking about.

Thanks for the link jslo! Well today when I checked the mail I saw a big envelope from Tufts but to my dismay it was just their pamphlet for the school. I was wondering has everyone received these pamphlets too? I'm just hoping maaayybeee that means there might be an acceptance on the way.

Thanks for the link jslo! Well today when I checked the mail I saw a big envelope from Tufts but to my dismay it was just their pamphlet for the school. I was wondering has everyone received these pamphlets too? I'm just hoping maaayybeee that means there might be an acceptance on the way.
I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure everyone receives this. It can take anywhere from 2-8 weeks to get a decision once your app is complete.

why would you say that Tuft's is harder than the BU program...I am applying now and this would be really helpful to know, thanks!

a few of my friends are doin the tufts program, and i have nothing but very high regard to their program - but be warned, it is freakin INTENSE, much more than the BU SMP in my opinion. but the curve is quite generous.

why would u say that BU is less intense than the Tufts program specifically?

Since when is a brochure the golden key to the crapper?

I wouldn't say that one is more intense then the other. I've heard so many varying feelings on this. Some think its less intense because of the integration of courses and fact that they get tested every 2 weeks with all the stuff being integrated. Some think that is what makes it more intense.

At BU the thing is that there is a lot of flexibility. If you are doing all the medical courses that you can i.e. histo, immuno, phyio, and endo esp. if you are doing those on the med student track i.e. 6 credits of histo and physio together and immuno and endo in spring and 6 credits of bchm in fall with a couple of electives, then the first semester is ok but the 2nd is more then plenty enough intense. But at BU histo is not required nor is immuno or endo. They are electives though obviously if you are doing it for med school that is what you will take.

Some people do GMS for other purposes like to go into clinical investigation or mental health counselling or do a concentration in nutrition and don't take all of the med courses. So that makes it less intense. Likewise, many people get put in a track where you take histo and physio split over 2 semesters.

At Tufts there is less flexibility in the scheduling.

fewer heavy classes at BU. hell if you wanted to you can technically get away with taking only 12 credits of heavy lifting med school classes and fill the rest of your schedule with fluff. tufts med curriculum is much more compressed than bu's so that is also reflected on the respective graduate programs. one thing that is mitigating the extra load on tufts is the fact that they have a generous curve as opposed to the uncurved classes at BU

fewer heavy classes at BU. hell if you wanted to you can technically get away with taking only 12 credits of heavy lifting med school classes and fill the rest of your schedule with fluff. tufts med curriculum is much more compressed than bu's so that is also reflected on the respective graduate programs. one thing that is mitigating the extra load on tufts is the fact that they have a generous curve as opposed to the uncurved classes at BU

Do you know how MBS students perform in identical classes relative to the med students? In the GT thread someone mentioned that exam averages were very similar for the most part. I'm curious to know if the generous curve is a reflection of MBS students performing poorly or do med students have a generous cure as well?

Do you know how MBS students perform in identical classes relative to the med students? In the GT thread someone mentioned that exam averages were very similar for the most part. I'm curious to know if the generous curve is a reflection of MBS students performing poorly or do med students have a generous cure as well?
my friends report they consistently outperform the med students, and the curve is based on the med student averages in the 1st semester. tufts med itself is pass fail, no curve.

Everything on my status is finally marked received so it looks like I'm complete as of 2 days ago. How long have people been waiting currently to hear back? The website says 6-8 weeks, is that pretty accurate?

Everything on my status is finally marked received so it looks like I'm complete as of 2 days ago. How long have people been waiting currently to hear back? The website says 6-8 weeks, is that pretty accurate?

Sorry to be that guy, but...if you'd just read through this thread quickly you could answer it yourself, in fact if you just read yesterdays posts even...