TUCOM NV Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,
So I had a question for anyone who did the MS program and then applied and was accepted into the DO program. Did you apply to the program during your MS program or did you wait till after you graduate to have both semester's grades to improve your application GPAs? I'm just considering this as an option and am trying to figure out timing. Also, when in all this did you take your final MCAT?

my deposit is sent, my seat reserved, i'll be there in july!

this thread sure seems to have died down though

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the committee met today to decide on the 03/14 interviews. Hopefully they'll be getting back to everyone soon. Anyone know how many spots are left?

Anyone hear anything yet? Not very hopeful but just want to know already.

I think I got a call from Taylor the Wednesday after they met (so that'd be today for you). People seemed to get calls throughout the day. Either way, a letter should reach you by Saturday or Monday at the latest.

So what are people's plans for housing? Do most students tend to live alone or room with other students?

Called and spoke to Taylor. The letters will not be mailed til friday. So the waiting continues.

do you know if you were in the last interview group?

boo yah got the phone call from taylor for the acceptance, march 14th was my interview date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I'll be interviewing on 4/11/11...is there anyone else interviewing on that day?

They said it's the last interview day. I hope it's not too late.
:scared:

wait listed. bleh. but... congrats to those who got in! very excited for you. as for me, it's time to work on cycle #2!

In! Interviewed 3/14 PM session.

Have to decide between Touro NV and LECOM. 99% sure it'll be Touro, but LECOM is so cheap that I keep wondering if I should go there.

Have to decide between Touro NV and LECOM. 99% sure it'll be Touro, but LECOM is so cheap that I keep wondering if I should go there.

LOL. It's probably so cheap because you have to put up with atrocious weather. =P Personally, I wouldn't use money as a huge factor into my decision (unless we're talking a huge difference in cost) but I can see why that'd be a tough decision (that only you can make).

I was in the same boat choosing between Touro NV and LECOM-E and I chose LECOM after meeting with the head of medical education at a hospital in MI who is a DO and he said that it is beneficial to stay in the midwest because that is where a majority of DO residencies are, namely MI, PA, and OH.

also march 14 and in :)

Now I see there is a $3000 deposit total. I heard someone saying there is a partial refund on the deposit if things change. Can anyone direct me to a website that explains this?

Thanks! very happy :)

Hi everyone,
I just received notice that I am on the "high waitlist"...interviewed 3/23. Does anyone have any info about the waitlist? Number of slots, total people on the list, etc? I emailed Taylor but he is out of the office until the 11th :( Any help would be greatly appreciated, after being a dope and applying super late Touro is now my #1 choice far and away and I really, really want a slot...even if I have to reapply next year (boo!)

Hi everyone,
I just received notice that I am on the "high waitlist"...interviewed 3/23. Does anyone have any info about the waitlist? Number of slots, total people on the list, etc? I emailed Taylor but he is out of the office until the 11th :( Any help would be greatly appreciated, after being a dope and applying super late Touro is now my #1 choice far and away and I really, really want a slot...even if I have to reapply next year (boo!)

you'll probably just have to wait and see. it really just depends on how many people turn down offers. there's probably a pretty good chance you'll move off that high waitlist so good luck! just make sure you have the 3k deposit ready.

Anybody else interviewing on Monday? :)

Oh yeah, how are the clinical rotations at TUCOM-NV? The website doesn't really shed much light on years 3 and 4.

Is there a list of affiliated hospitals? How are the rotations set up (lottery, etc)? Where do most students complete their core rotations?

Oh yeah, how are the clinical rotations at TUCOM-NV? The website doesn't really shed much light on years 3 and 4.

Is there a list of affiliated hospitals? How are the rotations set up (lottery, etc)? Where do most students complete their core rotations?

I don't know all that much about how the rotations are set up and don't have a list of affiliated hospitals, but I have heard positive feedback in regards to clinical rotations. All core rotations can be completed in the LV metro area (which was a plus when choosing the school) and I believe that most students do them here. You can set up away rotations though. I know students fill out forms about which rotations they want to do (what order, what hospitals/preceptors) but I don't know if the decisions are lottery-based, first-come, etc. Perhaps a 3rd/4th yr would be better to answer that.

Hey,
So I had a question for anyone who did the MS program and then applied and was accepted into the DO program. Did you apply to the program during your MS program or did you wait till after you graduate to have both semester's grades to improve your application GPAs? I'm just considering this as an option and am trying to figure out timing. Also, when in all this did you take your final MCAT?

I didn't take the MHS program, but I am a first year at TUN. There are quite a few people in the MHS program, and some of them didn't even get an interview for the DO program this year. Something the school probably doesn't tell you when you are recruited for the MHS program is that you will be taking the same classes as the DO students, but you are held to a higher standard (anything below a B is failing). Doesn't make any sense to me.

This is how I see it; the supposed benefits of the MHS program are that you get to know the faculty (and more importantly they get to know you) and you are exposed to the curriculum early. In reality, whether you get an interview again and ultimately get accepted has more to do with your MCAT and gpa than it does with whether you know the faculty or not.

So, I would recommend not taking the MHS program, saving yourself the tuition, and taking a good MCAT prep course. Going through the MHS program MIGHT improve your chances for getting into the DO program, but getting a better MCAT score WILL improve your chances. And, with your ultimate goal being to practice as a physician (I assume) having an MHS doesn't really provide you with any benefits that I know of.

One last thing, the MHS students interviewed at the very end of the cycle (several of them aren't interviewing until tomorrow--the last possible day to interview) so they aren't exactly on the top of the list as far as the school is concerned. All in all I think you would be better off studying like crazy (possibly with the help of a prep course) and taking the MCAT early June, and being the first to apply and hopefully interview.

Just my $0.02.

I don't know all that much about how the rotations are set up and don't have a list of affiliated hospitals, but I have heard positive feedback in regards to clinical rotations. All core rotations can be completed in the LV metro area (which was a plus when choosing the school) and I believe that most students do them here. You can set up away rotations though. I know students fill out forms about which rotations they want to do (what order, what hospitals/preceptors) but I don't know if the decisions are lottery-based, first-come, etc. Perhaps a 3rd/4th yr would be better to answer that.

Thanks for the info :)

I didn't take the MHS program, but I am a first year at TUN. There are quite a few people in the MHS program, and some of them didn't even get an interview for the DO program this year. Something the school probably doesn't tell you when you are recruited for the MHS program is that you will be taking the same classes as the DO students, but you are held to a higher standard (anything below a B is failing). Doesn't make any sense to me.

This is how I see it; the supposed benefits of the MHS program are that you get to know the faculty (and more importantly they get to know you) and you are exposed to the curriculum early. In reality, whether you get an interview again and ultimately get accepted has more to do with your MCAT and gpa than it does with whether you know the faculty or not.

So, I would recommend not taking the MHS program, saving yourself the tuition, and taking a good MCAT prep course. Going through the MHS program MIGHT improve your chances for getting into the DO program, but getting a better MCAT score WILL improve your chances. And, with your ultimate goal being to practice as a physician (I assume) having an MHS doesn't really provide you with any benefits that I know of.

One last thing, the MHS students interviewed at the very end of the cycle (several of them aren't interviewing until tomorrow--the last possible day to interview) so they aren't exactly on the top of the list as far as the school is concerned. All in all I think you would be better off studying like crazy (possibly with the help of a prep course) and taking the MCAT early June, and being the first to apply and hopefully interview.

Just my $0.02.

Interesting...So the B standard is actually what I expected as this is the standard for MOST graduate programs throughout the country (speaking as someone who just completed a masters degree in another field). I'm a little confused because to me, nothing proves you can handle medical school curriculum more than taking a bunch of classes with first year medical students. Sure, you need to do well in these classes, but that should be obvious.

Secondly, there is no such thing as an MHS degree. You receive an MS degree. Touro-Nevada calls the program the MHS program, but the degree earned is an MS.

Your last point is fair, and I have considered that as well. My problem is that I really am worried about having the time/money to retake the MCAT (I have a 25 on my most recent test) on top of the MS curriculum. I ahve been put in contact with previous MHS students and will address my additional questions there. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Your last point is fair, and I have considered that as well. My problem is that I really am worried about having the time/money to retake the MCAT (I have a 25 on my most recent test) on top of the MS curriculum. I ahve been put in contact with previous MHS students and will address my additional questions there. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Well, whatever works for you. I'm just basing my opinion on being here and having friends in the MHS/MS (whatever you prefer) program, and seeing how it has worked for them.

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me, since really the MCAT is supposed to be a predictor of how well you will do with the medical school curriculum (albeit an admittedly poor predictor). A much better predictor would be (as you said) taking the actual classes you will take as a med student. Since the MHS students here have already done that, I feel like they should have a pretty much guaranteed in, and it doesn't work that way. MHS students are held to a higher standard than the students in my class. If a MHS student gets a 78% in anatomy, they "failed" that course. If somebody in OMS I gets a 78% in anatomy, good for them. Doesn't matter that they both took the same course and tests.

It seems like what it comes down to for the school is your GPA and MCAT score. Whether you have the MS or not hasn't seemed to make much difference (based on what I have seen over the past year). I am not trying to single out Touro with this, I have a friend who goes to Touro that got his MS at Midwestern, and wasn't admitted after finishing it (but obviously was admitted to Touro).

Because of that, I think if you are borderline the absolute best thing you can do is improve your MCAT score (GPA would be nice, but is probably less doable). Finishing the MHS program and re-applying with the same MCAT score doesn't seem to me like it will improve your chances much.

Ultimately, do whatever you think will help your chances. I am just passing on what some of my friends that are currently in the MHS program have told me they wish somebody had told them before they started the program.

Sinfest, who are you? I am the girl from UK.

You must have interviewed in the morning session then. There was only 1 girl in my interview group and she was most definitely not from the UK haha

How did your interview go?

You must have interviewed in the morning session then. There was only 1 girl in my interview group and she was most definitely not from the UK haha

How did your interview go?

Ah, I had a very difficult interviewer, the other persons who had this person for their interview were nervous afterwards as well. I think after a night of sleeping on it and thinking about all that I said, I think I did well. How did yours go?

good luck you guys! i hope to see you both in august :)

Thanks Guek. Can you tell me about how long the turn around was for you? It probably won't be the same for us...we were told about two weeks, but There are holidays coming up. Boo.

it was about 2.5 weeks for me :) try not to think too much about it while you wait, it makes it all worse!

Ah, I had a very difficult interviewer, the other persons who had this person for their interview were nervous afterwards as well. I think after a night of sleeping on it and thinking about all that I said, I think I did well. How did yours go?

Who interviewed you (you can send me a PM)? I'm glad you think you did well :thumbup:

I'm not really sure. I feel as though I could have answered some questions better and given the answers in a less convoluted way, but I also think I answered some questions well. I guess it could go either way.

Thanks! I hope so too :)

Aww poo. Looks like those of us who just interviewed in the 11th wont be hearing anything until the beginning of May.

Aww poo. Looks like those of us who just interviewed in the 11th wont be hearing anything until the beginning of May.

This wait is nerve-racking...I just want to hear some good news :laugh:

I take it you aren't set on Touro-Ca?

Would you take an acceptance at NV over Ca?

I'm happy with CA, but I think I'd be happier at NV. So yeah, I'd take an acceptance from NV over CA.

Hi guys!! accepted off the high waitlist on mon 4/18 via phone call. Looking forward to meeting you all! :):):):):):):):):)

Congrats Brahiem! Does anyone happen to have any information about the size of the WL or anything else?

I've contacted Touro in the past and I was told that they would start taking people of the WL in early May and another time they told me in June. I'm going to assume the May tidbit is correct, since WL movement has started.

Last edited:
Congrats Brahiem! Does anyone happen to have any information about the size of the WL or anything else?

I've contacted Touro in the past and I was told that they would start taking people of the WL in early May and another time they told me in June. I'm going to assume the May tidbit is correct, since WL movement has started.

I heard early May also, but then I also got a call on 4/18 that I was accepted from the high waitlist. I also heard they take most if not all of the people off of the high waitlist, but not really anyone from the middle/low lists. Hope this helps!

Awesome, I'm on the High WL. I guess we'll see how everything unfolds for everyone on the WL during the next few months. :luck: Thanks!

Hi guys!! accepted off the high waitlist on mon 4/18 via phone call. Looking forward to meeting you all! :):):):):):):):):)

I heard early May also, but then I also got a call on 4/18 that I was accepted from the high waitlist. I also heard they take most if not all of the people off of the high waitlist, but not really anyone from the middle/low lists. Hope this helps!

Congrats :)

Let's hope the ADCOM looked at us favorably today :)

I thought the letters were released today....

According to the email sent out by Taylor two weeks ago, the letters will be released by Monday. I misread the email and thought the ADCOM met yesterday, but it just says that their decision was released yesterday.

Taylor said the letters would be released Thursday or Friday. Either way, it still looks like a couple more days of waiting. It may take longer for the letter to get all the way to Kentucky.