Tucom ca msmhs 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey for those of you who are alumni, I was wondering if it is easy to go on interviews during the MSMHS program? Are the professors accommodating, and is it easy to leave for a day? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If any of you are in the South Bay, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions!

I'm from San Jose and I would love to go to Touro. But too bad I'm wait listed ;(((((((((((

Any masters or 1st year students looking for a roommate? Message me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for those of you who are alumni, I was wondering if it is easy to go on interviews during the MSMHS program? Are the professors accommodating, and is it easy to leave for a day? Thanks.

Very very very veryyyyy easy. You aren't gonna want to schedule an interview during finals, but the faculty, and especially the director of the program completely have your back when it comes to getting into medical school. They realize that interviews are a part of the game and will do whatever they can to accommodate. The end goal of the program is to get you into a medical school be it TUCOM or elsewhere. They will work with you, but like any other situation, use wisdom and common sense when the time comes to schedule an interview. Even if you absolutely must schedule an interview on an exam day, I am sure something can be worked out. But it's probably more likely that you will be able to schedule interviews on non-exam days.

I'm from San Jose and I would love to go to Touro. But too bad I'm wait listed ;(((((((((((

I feel you, I'm in SF and I really, really want to stay in the bay area :)

(although come "summer" I may change my mind...at least in San Jose you will get some great sunshine!)

Hey, according to SDN and the new Facebook group, there are five students matriculating in the upcoming class. Ideally, there are ten spots out of the fifteen left in the program. According to SDN, 9 members have been waitlisted (jstudent, mdformee, tweevs, piesafe, nosdef, medR13, graduate2be, melomare17, and figjam). Both mdformee and graduate2be plan on attending other programs this fall. In addition, melomare17 stated he spoke to the director of the program and was told to expect decisions in the upcoming week. Good luck everyone.

Hey, according to SDN and the new Facebook group, there are five students matriculating in the upcoming class. Ideally, there are ten spots out of the fifteen left in the program. According to SDN, 9 members have been waitlisted (jstudent, mdformee, tweevs, piesafe, nosdef, medR13, graduate2be, melomare17, and figjam). Both mdformee and graduate2be plan on attending other programs this fall. In addition, melomare17 stated he spoke to the director of the program and was told to expect decisions in the upcoming week. Good luck everyone.

Only 2 of us in the FB group are matriculating this fall into the MSMHS program. The rest are prior students. I'm not sure if that changes anything, but good luck guys! I'm rooting for ya! :thumbup:

I got an acceptance letter in the mail today. I'm going to another school, though. If I could make sure it goes to one of you guys, I would. Good luck everyone else!

I got an acceptance letter in the mail today. I'm going to another school, though. If I could make sure it goes to one of you guys, I would. Good luck everyone else!

Where are you headed?

Where are you headed?

UC Davis for an MS in Pharmacology and Toxicology with a thesis under a professor at the UCD SOM in biochem/molecular medicine. I'm going up there to meet the professor and lab team this week, actually.

My opinion may be in the minority, but from my experience, doctors don't have enough training or research experience in pharmacology. I also have a personal interest in possibly teaching pharmacology (or a medical subfield) for medical, PA, and/or nursing students at some point, in addition to practicing; that's my goal, anyways. I'm not really doing the UCD Pharmacology MS to boost my chances of getting into medical school.

Anyhow, if some of you guys aren't in anywhere else and really want to get into a program somewhere, while possibly staying in (or going to) the bay area (LA is nice, too), here are a few options for you to consider:

UCSF MS in Biomedical Imaging Accepts MCAT or GRE
http://www.radiology.ucsf.edu/education/graduate-programs/mbi-program
Learn how to apply imaging towards all types of pathologies. UCSF name and contacts, with an optional summer thesis. 1/3rd of the students are premeds.

USC MS in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology 28 MCAT minimum or 1000 cumulative GRE minimum, >3.0 GPA
http://keck.usc.edu/Education/Acade...spx?_id=E4C04DFBB59E4B9C82E07BF4A781F5BB&_z=z
Classes in this program mirror 1st and 2nd year medical school courses, and you get a thesis under someone at the SOM. It's a hidden gem of a program, especially for California students. People bought into the USC M$ in Global Medicine program and didn't look into any real science masters programs in the SOM. 1/2 of the students are premeds.

SFSU Open Enrollment
www.cel.sfsu.edu/openuniversity/register.cfm

I got into the UCSF and USC programs, and have done a lot of research on them. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
@ MDformee I didn't realize you could potentially get a letter before an email or call. Regardless, congrats, it sounds like you have your plan all figured out and thank you for the useful info.

Hopefully we all hear some good news this week! If anyone does find anything out, holler so everyone can get an idea of where they're at. Good luck to all anxiously waiting.

Good luck MDforMee! I've read your posts and you sound like a very hard working person. I'm sure you will be very successful and got a bright future waiting for ya. A big thank you to everyone else wishing us (on the wait list) luck! Your information is extremely helpful and has been a great source of mental support.

Btw..since the total amount of applicants is ~300, and there are only about 30 of us on this thread, in which 3 of us got accepted. I think it is safe to say that applicants who are also sdn members are twice as likely to have better applications. since 12 out of the 270 non sdn member applicants got accepted, giving only a 4% prevalence, versus 3 out of 30 of us were accepted, giving a 10% prevalence. Also, as much as 30% of us were wait listed (9/30), meaning there are about ~15% of non sdn member applicants were placed on the wait list, or about 40 people. Each of us has 1/49 or ~2% chance to be accepted, but since we are twice as likely to have better apps than non sdn users, we have about a 4% chance. But of course, this is purely based on statistics and I could be completely wrong and might have sounded like an idiot but just wanted to throw that out there hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw..since the total amount of applicants is ~300, and there are only about 30 of us on this thread, in which 3 of us got accepted. I think it is safe to say that applicants who are also sdn members are twice as likely to have better applications. since 12 out of the 270 non sdn member applicants got accepted, giving only a 4% prevalence, versus 3 out of 30 of us were accepted, giving a 10% prevalence. Also, as much as 30% of us were wait listed (9/30), meaning there are about ~15% of non sdn member applicants were placed on the wait list, or about 40 people. Each of us has 1/49 or ~2% chance to be accepted, but since we are twice as likely to have better apps than non sdn users, we have about a 4% chance. But of course, this is purely based on statistics and I could be completely wrong and might have sounded like an idiot but just wanted to throw that out there hahaha

As much as I want to be optimistic...I totally agree with you. I bet there are quite a few people not on SDN who we can't account for. And I definitely wouldn't put it past Touro to have upwards of 30 people on their waitlist, especially after seeing some of the stats people have posted...a lot of you are super qualified and could probably get into DO school without this program and yet are STILL on a WL. Ahh, the fun life of a competitive degree!

Good luck MDforMee! I've read your posts and you sound like a very hard working person. I'm sure you will be very successful and got a bright future waiting for ya. A big thank you to everyone else wishing us (on the wait list) luck! Your information is extremely helpful and has been a great source of mental support.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words.

I tried to help you guys out when I called Touro this morning to decline the offer; I mentioned that "there are a lot of people on the SDN postbaccalaureate forum that really want to attend..." hoping that they might look here. Good luck!

TWEEVS, I was trying to give everyone hope in the SDN world and you post each individual has a 4 percent chance of acceptance haha.

TWEEVS, I was trying to give everyone hope in the SDN world and you post each individual has a 4 percent chance of acceptance haha.

Lol I mean we ARE as twice as likely to have better stats than non sdn members though! That's a little hopeful right? Hahaha :p

I know you guys might be getting really nervous, so I thought I would help you out. I was accepted off the wait-list earlier this week and decided to decline my offer. I'll be attending LECOM because of cost and guarantee of acceptance in fall (not just an interview). Sad that I will have to move out of California for first time, but I guess snow can be fun. Good luck to you guys :)

If you're curious about me, I have been waitlisted at Touro Nevada and got into the Postbac programs here and at LECOM, with a postbac rejection at Touro NY. My stats: 3.2 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 27S MCAT, and pretty good list (in my opinion) of extracurricular.

I know you guys might be getting really nervous, so I thought I would help you out. I was accepted off the wait-list earlier this week and decided to decline my offer. I'll be attending LECOM because of cost and guarantee of acceptance in fall (not just an interview). Sad that I will have to move out of California for first time, but I guess snow can be fun. Good luck to you guys :)

If you're curious about me, I have been waitlisted at Touro Nevada and got into the Postbac programs here and at LECOM, with a postbac rejection at Touro NY. My stats: 3.2 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 27S MCAT, and pretty good list (in my opinion) of extracurricular.

Congrats user1name! If you don't mind me asking, how did they accept you? Was it a phone call or an email? And before they accepted you did you reach out to them and ask about your wait list position or anything?

Congrats user1name! If you don't mind me asking, how did they accept you? Was it a phone call or an email? And before they accepted you did you reach out to them and ask about your wait list position or anything?

i also wanted to ask them about wait list position :/ . However, the wait list email states : (Please keep in mind that the Committee does not permit us to provide specific information regarding the number of people on the waitlist nor can we provide you with your specific ranking on that list. We are also not permitted to speculate regarding your chances of being accepted from the waitlist, as there are far too many variables, including, but not limited to, how many people will accept our offer and how many will choose to drop from the program because they have committed to another option.)

Got the acceptance call today but declined it for the CSULA post bac program. I was previously on the wait-list too. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Oh man, they are still trying to fill the class! No wonder they haven't sent out any information yet to us.

Got the acceptance call today but declined it for the CSULA post bac program. I was previously on the wait-list too. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

One thing I would be really cautious about with this program at CSULA is that there is RAMPANT cheating, unless they cleaned up their act since 2009. My buddy was about to enroll in this program. But after having witnessed the crazy amount of cheating, he decided that UCLA extension was a much better route. Just a word of caution =)

Oh man, they are still trying to fill the class! No wonder they haven't sent out any information yet to us.

Just hang tight. It's not a matter if if the class will be filled, it's really a matter of how. They really look for the best candidates possible. I doubt that not receiving materials has anything to do with people still coming off of the wait list. Just hang tight and I can almost certainly guarantee you that you will be glad to have chosen this program. Happy 4th!

Just hang tight. It's not a matter if if the class will be filled, it's really a matter of how. They really look for the best candidates possible. I doubt that not receiving materials has anything to do with people still coming off of the wait list. Just hang tight and I can almost certainly guarantee you that you will be glad to have chosen this program. Happy 4th!

I wonder how many spots are left...........

One thing I would be really cautious about with this program at CSULA is that there is RAMPANT cheating, unless they cleaned up their act since 2009. My buddy was about to enroll in this program. But after having witnessed the crazy amount of cheating, he decided that UCLA extension was a much better route. Just a word of caution =)

What actually happened with the RAMPANT cheating?

What actually happened with the RAMPANT cheating?

Honestly, it was 4 years ago and I can't remember the details of what my roommate told me. Again, this is based on a really big assumption that things are still the way they were back then. Like I think I mentioned before, things may have gotten a lot better with the program aging a bit. All I can vaguely remember is that there were people that were friends in the program and they would just blatantly share answers on exams and cheat etc. Sorry I can't really remember, but I do remember my roommate being pretty upset about the entire situation.

I'm hoping to revive this thread to past students that can help. I just got into this program and have to decide between Touro CA and Midwestern MABS. I am also on the waitlist for UCSD's postbac...
I am wondering more information about this program. They just decided to change the size of the program to 60 students! So that will probably change a lot about the environment. But, from what you've experienced, what did you think of the program? Was it very helpful in getting you into med school? How was living in the area? School, teachers, how hard the classes/program was? Any information is helpful. If you have any opinions on my predicament of which school to attend, please share your opinion as well.

Thank you!

BTW other students might find this info helpful and there are two links for current applicant forums, so feel free to respond there if you want:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...lth-sciences-2016-2017.1180715/#post-17641370

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/touro-ca-msmhs-2016-2017.1187583/page-2