Tucom ca msmhs 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how TUCOM calculates the MCAT score? Do they take the best score from one testing date... or do they take the best sections from each testing date (if you've taken it more than once). I've heard of schools doing it either way, just curious how Touro approaches it.

sGPA : 3.13 (One course replaced)
cGPA : 3.37

I know this answer isn't gonna ANSWER your question, but I don't think they take the best score from each section. I am pretty certain they take the score from one sitting. I do know that they tend to value the bio section the most. Hope that helps some. If you are really curious you could always call them in the admission office. =)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ckyx1213,

Can you shed some more light on your statement that half of your class was accepted to the COM class? Was only half your class accepted or were more than that accepted, but only half accepted the admission at Touro CA specifically, and others accepted admissions elsewhere? I guess is there a good chance for you to get accepted if you meet all of there criteria for an interview?

Thanks!

Hey Pack!

Once you are in this program. It is REALLY hard to leave because of the connections you make with the professors, the students, the school in general etc. You are at a huge advantage in terms of matriculating med students at TUCOM because you have already seen a portion of the same material that is presented to you again both 1st and 2nd years. It is like you get a sneak peak. So although a lot of us applied elsewhere, we ended up either not sending in secondaries or even flat out rejecting interview invites.

To answer your question. You are correct. Only half of us half been fully ACCEPTED to TUCOM for next year. The cool thing is that as masters students in the MSMHS program, you are guaranteed an interview if you maintain a 3.0 GPA. Furthermore, you never have to worry about seats running out in the next matriculating class year because from the get go, they save 15 seats for us. The only reason half of us got in thus far is because interviews are divided up into early interviews and late interviews. The ONLY reason this exists is because, ultimatley, TUCOM wants to retain their own MSMHS students. The students who interview early are the ones that the admissions committee feels confident about in terms of their WHOLE package and likelihood of gaining an acceptance if interviewed early. This has a VERY high correlation with your FALL SEMESTER GRADES. This is why I kept mentioning that it is very important for you to do well your first semester. This doesn't mean that the later interviewers are screwed or anything. All it means is that the admissions committee feels that these individuals would benefit from adding to their file by showing that can do better a bit into the second semester. In essence, they just want you to have the strongest case possible for why they should accept you. Or better phrased, they want every reason to be able to accept you. As I mentioned before, this group just interviewed recently and should find out soon enough about there statuses. As such, practically every person from the last 2 years, and if you want to include the early interviewers from this year... they have ALL gotten into TUCOM. I hope that helps!

Hello All,

Last Friday I emailed Naisha Bible about my application status, because I was one of those who did not receive any response and my paranoid self could not take it anymore so I emailed her. This is her reply I received today. I hope this gives those some comfort in the waiting game. I applied in early May after I did not interview at TU-COM. My guess is that you will receive a response on the basis of when you submitted your application. Best of luck to all of you!

"The notices are going out in sections, and will have all been distributed by the end of the week."

Thank You,

Naisha Bible

This is kinda what I had figured =). Please try your best to give the admissions committee the benefit of the doubt that something unforeseen has slightly delayed the process. (EVEN AS STINKING HARD AS IT IS TO WAIT!!!!! I know the feeling... I was there last year) So hang tight everyone! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think that the rejection email is different from the delay email? Or is it probably the same thing? If you received the delay email later, does that mean that you are farther down on their list?

I wish I knew how to answer. As far as I can tell and from what we heard, they are releasing the letters in sections. I'm sure you'll be hearing a definitive answer shortly. Good luck!

I finally got a delayed email. Fun. xD

Anyone here accepted to other programs? If so, could you share which ones and which you think are better?? I got into Midwestern AZ master of arts in biomedical science, but am still waitlisted at a couple others and deciding!

Waitlisted here. Boo!

Waitlisted too, bittersweet I guess haha. Are you still planning on going to this program? And I was wondering, when did you get the email?

This is kinda what I had figured =). Please try your best to give the admissions committee the benefit of the doubt that something unforeseen has slightly delayed the process. (EVEN AS STINKING HARD AS IT IS TO WAIT!!!!! I know the feeling... I was there last year) So hang tight everyone! Good luck!

Hi again ckyx1213,

Since you are an alumni (or soon to be) of the MSMHS program, can you tell us a little bit about being waitlisted? What are our chances and should we start focusing on another program? Once again, your help is greatly appreciated:woot:

I was also wait listed. Seems like there must be quite a few of us.

While I am pleased I wasn't rejected, I am slightly annoyed that this will make planning for the summer extremely difficult. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone curious why there is a (2) next to the subject of the email? Is that because this is the second response?

Waitlisted too, bittersweet I guess haha. Are you still planning on going to this program? And I was wondering, when did you get the email?

Hi, yeah, bittersweet is a good way to describe it. No, I'm not planning on going to this program, either. I got the email at 5:52 pm from a Steven Davis that was cced to Naisha Bible and Marcos Villa.

Hi, yeah, bittersweet is a good way to describe it. No, I'm not planning on going to this program, either. I got the email at 5:52 pm from a Steven Davis that was cced to Naisha Bible and Marcos Villa.

I see. Same here. Mine was received 3 minutes after yours. Our stats are almost identical :cool:

I see. Same here. Mine was received 3 minutes after yours. Our stats are almost identical :cool:

I got the wait list email at the same time as you did :/ . I wonder who actually got accepted into this program?

I got the wait list email at the same time as you did :/ . I wonder who actually got accepted into this program?

I have no idea.. I'm really crossing my fingers hoping more people decide to go with another program and give up their spots :naughty: but that's probably not very likely. TU is only 1 hour away from my house and I would LOVE to go there, as I'm sure you all would too. I just don't understand why they can only take 15 of us :mad: Anyways, GL to all of you!

Accepted at Western University of Health Sciences MSMS and Touro-Nevada MS MHS. Got the waitlist email from Touro-California yesterday afternoon and I've decided to attend Western; classes start on 4-June.

An alum said she thinks everyone is waitlisted not rejected. If that is true, do you think you know where you stand? It would suck being number 52 for spot 15, but at least you would know.

I got a delayed email yesterday. Is that the same thing as the "waitlist " email? I was told in the email that I'd hear by Thursday at the latest...

Accepted at Western University of Health Sciences MSMS and Touro-Nevada MS MHS. Got the waitlist email from Touro-California yesterday afternoon and I've decided to attend Western; classes start on 4-June.

Good luck at Western!!! Another great program.

I got the delay e-mail, so I take it I'm in the next pile coming :scared:

I got a delayed email yesterday. Is that the same thing as the "waitlist " email? I was told in the email that I'd hear by Thursday at the latest...

No, you will hear by Thursday if waitlisted or accepted. Good luck! :luck:

An alum said she thinks everyone is waitlisted not rejected. If that is true, do you think you know where you stand? It would suck being number 52 for spot 15, but at least you would know.

I think we will find out by mid June to beginning of July if there is movement on the wait list going by last year.

Hi again ckyx1213,

Since you are an alumni (or soon to be) of the MSMHS program, can you tell us a little bit about being waitlisted? What are our chances and should we start focusing on another program? Once again, your help is greatly appreciated:woot:

I think we will find out by mid June to beginning of July if there is movement on the wait list going by last year.

Hey tweevs and figjam,

I was waitlisted last year so keep your hopes up. I know that at least 3 of us out of 15 from my class were off of the waitlist. I think very close to half were from the waitlist the year before. If you are admitted into this program, you will have a much better understanding of why they keep the numbers small. Practically anyone who is accepted into the MSMHS program has been accepted into TUCOM, and so it only makes sense to keep the class small. Additionally, they want to really provide an environment that is conducive to learning without any competition. You are NOT competing against your fellow classmates and if they class size were bigger, they would have to limit the number of people they can accept, introducing competition (although some classmates may be competitive even when there is no need to compete... especially when you already know that you have been accepted into medical school... but these people tend to be the very tiny minority. Most of my classmates were very very chill and absolutely did not compete).

As for movement of the waitlist, mid June to late June is pretty much when it started moving last year. If you don't hear back by mid to late July, it might not be looking so great =/.

Hey all! This forum is making me extremely excited about the program!!! I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer:

Is it true that the class size is as small as 15 this year, no more than that?? Does that mean that masters students get special attention because of the small size? Will we bond as a group pretty well?

Is it true that there is almost a 100% chance you'll get into medical school (granted you don't mess up badly). If you work hard enough, get above a 3.0GPA and have a solid MCAT, you'll get in? I already took the MCAT, scored a 29R. Is there a minimum grade we need? I'm afraid that I remember reading somewhere you need a 30.. Will I be able to pass by with a 29 or do I have to retake it (DREADFUL!)

I live in Boston right now. I work full-time and I'll have to ask my work to let me go earlier than they would have expected.. I will have to find an apartment and roommates without seeing the place and meeting the people. Is this a big enough turn-off?

Last... is there a facebook page for accepted students? If I decide to take this program, I definitely want to coordinate with people and potentially find some awesome roommates?

Hey all! This forum is making me extremely excited about the program!!! I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer:

Is it true that the class size is as small as 15 this year, no more than that?? Does that mean that masters students get special attention because of the small size? Will we bond as a group pretty well?

Is it true that there is almost a 100% chance you'll get into medical school (granted you don't mess up badly). If you work hard enough, get above a 3.0GPA and have a solid MCAT, you'll get in? I already took the MCAT, scored a 29R. Is there a minimum grade we need? I'm afraid that I remember reading somewhere you need a 30.. Will I be able to pass by with a 29 or do I have to retake it (DREADFUL!)

I live in Boston right now. I work full-time and I'll have to ask my work to let me go earlier than they would have expected.. I will have to find an apartment and roommates without seeing the place and meeting the people. Is this a big enough turn-off?

Last... is there a facebook page for accepted students? If I decide to take this program, I definitely want to coordinate with people and potentially find some awesome roommates?

1. The class size will definitely be 15. Unless there is some unforeseen reason where someone drops out. It will definitely not be over 15. In terms of bonding, YES. Can I say... YES again? LOL. You will bond with many of your classmates. There is no question about it. I think it really depends on the dynamic of each individual and how everyone jives. It seems for the most part that you end up finding your own studying group. I for one can say that I have made some great friends, and the relationships will undoubtedly last a lifetime. You will find your own small group within the 15 most likely that is kinda your study group. But you will in all likelihood be very close to most of the 14 others in your class. You literally see them for 6-7 hours on average in class daily, on top of however much you study with them. It came to the point where it was weird to not see them for more than a day. We are on summer break now and it is definitely weird not seeing them for such a long time. Let me reiterate, you get close =) But it really is what you all will make of it too.

In terms of special attention... I guess? There is no doubt you have direct access to all of the professors. 99% of the professors that will be teaching you are also COM professors. You will take most of your classes together with the 14 other students in your program based on material you will see again from the same professors in COM. EXCEPT anatomy. You take anatomy with PA's. But you will have open and practically unlimited access to each professor because it is only 15 total students. You do take some classes and have some lectures with the COM1 students, but again, these are the same professors that teach the smaller 15 group as well.

2. Nothing is guaranteed except an interview if you maintain a 3.0 GPA in the program (the grades are "graded" meaning that an A is not just a 4.0. It is graded meaning that the actual percentage you get in each class is calculated through some formula. So if you have a 98% it is something like 3.9 or something like that. It is impossible to get a 4.0) Having said that, you have very high odds of being accepted into TUCOM, at least based on previous classes and the evidence they have shown. I would highly suggest you try to get higher than a 3.0. So, although you are not guaranteed an acceptance, your chances of getting in are very very high. Oh... and your MCAT is fine. Don't retake it if you got in. If you are already accepted, all you have to worry about is getting stellar grades in the program.

3. Whether or not you want to take the risk of just moving out here is completely up to you. You can go ahead and lookup what others thought because I know some other people have done that before. Might take a little digging. I can't really say for you because I have never been to Boston. Vallejo is not the best city, but it is far better than what I had imagined after all the horror stories I was hearing about in the forums. It really isn't THAT bad... at least for me. There are also a number of neighboring cities that plenty of students live in. They also live on Mare Island which is a part of Vallejo but completely kinda secluded (in a good way) and is RIGHT by school.

Hope that helps!

Did anyone hear anything today, seeing as it was Thursday?

Did anyone hear anything today, seeing as it was Thursday?

No. When I emailed her, she said Thursday by absolute latest. I mean..this is pretty annoying. I don't mind waiting, but don't tell us (twice) decisions will be released when they're not. I hope this isn't an indication of the program itself.

Last edited:
Okay, nevermind. Just got an email and rejected. I guess they do reject people afterall :)

Yup, I got rejected too. I was hopeful but this kinda sucks.

Rejected :( did the people rejected get an email suggesting the MPH?

Yeah kayak30, my rejection suggested I try the MPH program, nice that they'll transfer all of our info and not charge an app fee but still blows. :/

Got waitlisted last night. How many people get waitlisted?

I know that you reject people may be stewing about this now, but if it makes you feel any better, apparently they had 300 apps and only wait listed a small number of people. Here's what they said in the waitlist email:
"... but it was quite an accomplishment on your part to be wait-listed. Only a small percentage of the nearly 300 applicants were placed on the waitlist."

From the stats that a lot of you have posted, I think that you'll get in somewhere.

Is there a FB group for MSMHS 2014? I can't seem to find it.

Does TUCOM provide any housing?
No, TUCOM does not provide any housing. There are a few areas in Vallejo that are good to live in, but some of us live in towns nearby that are much nicer, namely Benicia and American Canyon, which are only 15 min away. You will need a car around here tho.

Hope this helps!

hey, all of you who got accepted, when is the deadline to reserve your spot?
It was Friday.

Edit: sorry, it's actually two weeks after they notify you. Mine was Friday.

Congrats on those accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist. To give you hope, about 1/2 of my class (MSMHS '12) were from the waitlist. Don't give up hope! It is a great program.

Congrats on those accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist. To give you hope, about 1/2 of my class (MSMHS '12) were from the waitlist. Don't give up hope! It is a great program.

As an alumni of this fine program, I would like to say congratulation to all those that got in. For those who didn't, :( there's only 15 spots out of 300 that's about the same chance of getting a spot as the COM program. So please don't be too hard on yourself.

and those that are accepted and debating whether or not to take the spot; if you have any questions please feel free to message me. And I'd like to take a minute. Just sit right there. I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Vallejo.

As an alumni of this fine program, I would like to say congratulation to all those that got in. For those who didn't, :( there's only 15 spots out of 300 that's about the same chance of getting a spot as the COM program. So please don't be too hard on yourself.

and those that are accepted and debating whether or not to take the spot; if you have any questions please feel free to message me. And I'd like to take a minute. Just sit right there. I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Vallejo.

Haha, already loving my future classmates :laugh:

If any of you are in the South Bay, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions!

Last edited: