TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi guys. i submitted my secondary about a month ago (complete 10/20). how long does it take for them to give you an invite (or rejection)? i've emailed them about it but got no response.

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys. i submitted my secondary about a month ago (complete 10/20). how long does it take for them to give you an invite (or rejection)? i've emailed them about it but got no response.

They were pretty immediate in my case. I had an interview invite within about a week or two from being complete.

I had a pretty nice panel, there was only one kid who got a difficult question (he unfortunately kind of stumbled through it). Certainly no requests for chemical reactions.

i feel your pain gforce, been complete for over a month, and nothing. i've called once to check my status, and I only received a response after I sent in an email a week later. the admissions officer wasn't very helpful in responding to my email, I got a simple sentence answer, and nothing else since.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that some of the concerns that were stated prior in this forum concerning placement of clinical rotations were proved to be valid.

That is, one may have to spend significant time outside of the Bay Area to get the required clinical hours.

So, if a person is averse to adventure and travel this may be a bad situation.

And, I happen to look at this way: I'd rather have the pleasure of spending two years near San Francisco then have to suffer through 4 years of being stuck somewhere in the Midwest. Sorry everyone in the fly-over states...

Best of luck to all of you interviewing and applying. I'm a first year and just wanted to add my two cents. From my understanding and everything I've heard about rotations, they isn't a huge stuggle to get the locations you want. If you want to stay in the bay area, there's a good chance you'll be able to. Same goes with traveling somewhere else. It is a lottery that everyone enters, except for in certain situations, some students are exempt to the lottery due to spouses working in the area, or those that own homes, etc. Basically, you are automatically entered into the lottery if your grades are passing. (I think that it is set at 70%, but please don't quote me on that.) Anyhow, you put in your top choices and then you are matched, and nearly everyone gets their choices, from what I understand. I hope that helps.

I'm extremely happy with my choice to attend Touro and hope that all of you end up at schools that suit your needs and help you to become great docs.

i feel your pain gforce, been complete for over a month, and nothing. i've called once to check my status, and I only received a response after I sent in an email a week later. the admissions officer wasn't very helpful in responding to my email, I got a simple sentence answer, and nothing else since.

hey. yea i feel you. i'm losing all faith in this school. the admissions people aren't very helpful when you call. they didn't even return my email (lhuckle). i ended up emailing dr. haight and he said i will get a response to my inquiry by later today. i guess he contacted huckle and this is what i promptly received from huckle:
.Your application is complete and awaiting decision by the Admissions and Standards Committee. This decision can occur any time between now and the end of May. Should you ultimately be invited to attend an interview, you will be notified via U.S. mail.
.​
i guess we just gotta hang tight.

Last edited:
I've been complete since 10/15. No word yet. I suppose it's only been a month. It's interesting that this school communicates solely by snail mail. All the other schools i've applied to communicate via email.

hey. yea i feel you. i'm losing all faith in this school. the admissions people aren't very helpful when you call. they didn't even return my email (lhuckle). i ended up emailing dr. haight and he said i will get a response to my inquiry by later today. i guess he contacted huckle and this is what i promptly received from huckle:
.Your application is complete and awaiting decision by the Admissions and Standards Committee. This decision can occur any time between now and the end of May. Should you ultimately be invited to attend an interview, you will be notified via U.S. mail.
.​
i guess we just gotta hang tight.

When did you apply? According to the admissions, they got 4,000 applications this year a record high. You should have sent in your secondary a lot earlier, try other schools. I applied to other schools last year and sent in my secondaries in October and had to reapply this year.

Has anyone who recently interviewed received an email from Dr. Haight yet concerning the next acceptances?

Still waiting though we should hear today. I loved this school on my visit. I called and was told that dr. Haight had another interview but we should hear today news (positive and negative)

Email came in around 4:00 today (from an interview on 11/9). Accepted! :D

I'm taking Western over this place, so good news for anyone who got waitlisted, eh? :p

So...did TUCOM actually email those who were still waiting yesterday?

I didn't get an email and am still waiting. I left a message with admissions this morning...

At least someone got an email yesterday...

I'd like to know so I can solidify plans for other upcoming interviews. My patience is on thin ice right now.

I also received an email from Dr. Haight yesterday. I would email him if you are really worried.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, Dr. Haight did email me, after all of my whining and consternation.

Too bad it was to inform me of my wait-listed status.

During the interview day he seemed like he went out of his way to tell us that it would be unlikely to be wait-listed, and that his recommendation for the committee would be either for acceptance or rejection. Oh well.

I would have taken a seat at this school and shut down all future interviews too.

Sorry to hear that. Did he say which waitlist (high, med, low)? I remember him saying that if you on the high, you have a good chance.

Hope your other interviews go okay.

Hey you can try sending in letter of intent to the school, too. Ask the admissions team, or even Dr. Haight if there is anything else you could do. Good luck with everything.

This thread needs some lovin'.

Anybody interviewing in January? Got my invite a few days ago. Was complete early last week.

Last edited:
anyone from dec. 8 interview receive an email notification?

Anyone heard anything from Touro recently? I have heard absolutely nothing from them since I got the confirmation saying I was complete on 10/28. Was going to e-mail them but I read on here they are completely unhelpful and have just been responding saying that applications are under review and will tell you they can respond any time into may

^^ i haven't heard anything either. been complete since 10/15. When they invite you for interview, does it come via snail mail or email?

I just received my secondary and I have a question regarding the personal statement section. Is this supposed to be entirely different from the personal statement we used for our AACOMAS application? Because everything I wrote for my AACOMAS PS answers the questions for this one. Not sure how to include different information. If anyone can give a speedy answer, that would be helpful since I'd like to get this mailed out ASAP.

This thread needs some lovin'.

Anybody interviewing in January? Got my invite a few days ago. Was complete early last week.

I just got my interview invite today. I hope there are still dates available in January, can't schedule an appt until Monday ><
In case anybody is curious, I was complete 12/30.

I'm excited and nervous, this is my first interview!! Anybody else get the invite this weekend?

I just received my secondary and I have a question regarding the personal statement section. Is this supposed to be entirely different from the personal statement we used for our AACOMAS application? Because everything I wrote for my AACOMAS PS answers the questions for this one. Not sure how to include different information. If anyone can give a speedy answer, that would be helpful since I'd like to get this mailed out ASAP.

Mine was different, my AACOMAS PS was more about my life and why i want to be a doc, and the secondary was more specific as to why i want to be an osteopathic physician and what qualities I will bring to the school.

I'm in the same boat, melissa. My PS was more of a story that revealed my characteristic while also describing the experiences I've had. I think focusing on other personal qualities not present in the AACOMAS PS may help. :confused:

Wow this is one of the shortest threads I've seen, are people just not interested in Touro?
Well I'm interviewing January 25th, I'm an OOS, anybody else on this date?

Wow this is one of the shortest threads I've seen, are people just not interested in Touro?

I think its a combined pseudo lack of interest as well as a lack of communication with the school. They won't give dates or give any ideas on when we will hear back so everyone is just sorta waiting to see. I know I am and I've been complete since 10/28, ugh

anyone know anything about student hosts? i dont really feel like shelling out the $$$ for my stay at a hotel. PM me if you are a student and are willing to take someone for 1 night.

thanks!

I'll be here on this day too! See you there :)

DbDan said:
I think its a combined pseudo lack of interest as well as a lack of communication with the school. They won't give dates or give any ideas on when we will hear back so everyone is just sorta waiting to see. I know I am and I've been complete since 10/28, ugh

i was complete since 10/15 and didn't hear back until 12/26. I was ready to give up on this school and was surprised to hear an interview invite. So 2.5 months time frame?

stevo111 said:
anyone know anything about student hosts? i dont really feel like shelling out the $$$ for my stay at a hotel. PM me if you are a student and are willing to take someone for 1 night.

I know the hotel is so expensive. haven't made reservations yet. I want someone to host me too. The thing is i'm not sure if students would be willing to drive out to the airport to pick up us since its so far. I think getting there would be the hard part.

Can someone explain the shuttle service to me? The packet was sent to my parent's address, and my mother isn't very good at interpreting the information.

If I arrive at SFO at 6:45PM, I would take the 8:30 Evans shuttle to Nappa and arrive at a hotel around 10PM? Then to make it to the school the next morning before 9AM, I would have to take the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4:45 AM shuttle?

Can someone explain the shuttle service to me? The packet was sent to my parent's address, and my mother isn't very good at interpreting the information.

If I arrive at SFO at 6:45PM, I would take the 8:30 Evans shuttle to Nappa and arrive at a hotel around 10PM? Then to make it to the school the next morning before 9AM, I would have to take the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4:45 AM shuttle?

The time schedule is the shuttle between the airport and the hotel. The hotel will have their own shuttle that will take you to the school for free. I think it leaves from the hotel at 8:30am. You just have to let them know that you need a ride to the school. So no you do not need to take the 4:45am shuttle. that only takes you to the airport.

I was complete on 12/23 and got an interview invite 1/7. I scheduled today for 2/2, which was the earliest available. Does anyone else have that day?

I would love more interview information. There was a good post awhile back about questions asked by the panel but I was wondering if anyone else could share an experience.

Good luck everyone!

i was complete since 10/15 and didn't hear back until 12/26. I was ready to give up on this school and was surprised to hear an interview invite. So 2.5 months time frame?

I'm hoping that I have similar fortunes. Did you get an e-mail? call? snail mail?

I more meant that they seem really random with their invites, some people get them in a week as shown by the poster before me and some like you take 2.5 months. It doesn't seem like there is any kind of predictable schedule. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon and even more hopefully I get an acceptance to Henderson so I can stop worrying so much :laugh:

Just wondering how long it took anyone to even hear they were complete... I sent my secondary in certified mail on 12/30, so I know they received it 1/4... LORs were sent via Interfolio on 12/28... so they should have been received prior to my secondary... And no word yet... Would a call or e-mail be in order at this point? If so, which one are people having the most success with, call or e-mail?

Just wondering how long it took anyone to even hear they were complete... I sent my secondary in certified mail on 12/30, so I know they received it 1/4... LORs were sent via Interfolio on 12/28... so they should have been received prior to my secondary... And no word yet... Would a call or e-mail be in order at this point? If so, which one are people having the most success with, call or e-mail?

I got a postcard in the mail, 2 actually. The first one (i think 12/23) was telling me I was incomplete and listed the items I was missing. The second one came with my interview invite saying I was complete (12/30).

Last edited:
those of you who received interviews... mind sharing some stats?
thank you:)

I'll be here on this day too! See you there :)

I know the hotel is so expensive. haven't made reservations yet. I want someone to host me too. The thing is i'm not sure if students would be willing to drive out to the airport to pick up us since its so far. I think getting there would be the hard part.

Upandaway, Steve003 and anyone else needing a place to stay:

If you look up a few posts earlier, CKG85 is the username of one of the students who does tours on campus and he offered earlier to take students overnight. We have a really helpful class of first years that I'm sure would be willing to house you guys. Ask CKG85 and if you don't have any luck, I'll email the class for you guys and get you in contact with someone you can stay with...and someone might even pick you up from the airport. If not, you can maybe coordinate to share a cab/rental car together. Email me if you need any help.

those of you who received interviews... mind sharing some stats?
thank you:)

I have a 3.35 Total GPA, 3.33 Science GPA. MCAT score of 33R. I am a non-traditional student with quite a bit of clinical volunteering and a lot of research experience. This is the only interview that I have been offered so far. I am really looking forward to it!

Thank you for sharing... I wish you the best of luck!

Just got my "complete" postcard yesterday. How do they send the interview invites? Also by snail mail?

touro does all of the notifications/paperwork by snail mail (with the exception of the optional notification from Dr. Haight). it's a little behind the times, but it gets done.

Hey just wondering,anybody receive a complete and interview notification at the same time?

Hey!

I just got a postcard letting me know that I was incomplete... and understandably so since I never submitted the supplementary app...

My budget was tight, and I didn't want to shell out all that money... well I can afford to submit the supplement now, but is it too late?

My stats are 29 MCAT, 3.05 cGPA and 2.91 sGPA
and I have plenty of clinical experience...

any advice? should I just hold off, and reapply next year?

I have not heard anything from them since early Dec in completion of my application. Does anyone know how we can check the status? What's the MCAT/GPA for those got interviews?

Hey all. If you're wondering about your status, you are more than able to CALL Admissions and check your status (or email). This will not affect your chances of getting in. Just call for the status and they will let you know. They are busy, so may not pick up right away (I think there's only 2-4 people answering at a time and working on paperwork).
If you're debating on whether to submit a supplemental app, you can ask about that too: ask how full the class is thus far. Make a judgement call after that.
Advice: If you get a supplemental, you stood out so far and met the minimum requirements number-wise. How to get the interview from here one? Yours PS/Essays! Think carefully on what you want to write, it makes a (if not THE) difference.
Book: Check out "Med School Rx : Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring." If it has any of the advice I got from Dr. Hartwig (who is the author of this book as well as a professor here), then you'll get a wonderful insight as to which schools to apply for and WHY, based on what you're looking for as well as what the individual schools are looking for. Good luck.