TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Touro-New York is a great school, best of luck to everyone. I am sure EVERYONE will become a doctor.

Best wishes,
PharmD MD student

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm on the same boat. The email said to only respond if u're not longer interested but I really wanted to reply and tell them how much I want to attend the school. This long wait is too much of an agony. But it's nice that in the email he said last year the high waitlist dropped to 40 after he sent out those confirmation requests. But even if we have 40 left, less than 20 seats open (chup said), that's still not a high percentage of us getting in =/

clarification... the email said that "Last year when I sent out the request the numbers drop immediately by 40. " So if there are about 100 spots, then if things go the same as last year, there'll be 60 of us vying for 20 spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
so in other words, only a portion of high waitlist will get in?

who knows? out of those 60, people are hopefully going to be withdrawing applications (and spots on the waitlist) as they get in elsewhere that they have been waitlisted. i hope i hope.

::SIGH:: I am going crazy here. I feel like I can alleviate or validate my anxiety by playing a numbers game with how many spots are ACTUALLY available to us and how many people there will be on the high wait list. But the truth, is that I won't sleep any better at night for it. I do, on the other hand, feel like we need some more answers or hints of hope from Obed. I remember him saying that we would be receiving "constant" updates about the status of the wait list after may 15th. Let's hope he follows through with this. I want, more than anything, to get to know you guys as classmates because if there is a commonality between us all, our mutual motivation, maybe desperation, and anxiety to become doctors and to get off of this darn high wait list makes me appreciate everyone of you all better. I hope this helps put things into better perspective... It kind of does for me.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was wondering if any current students could give any insight into Touro's curriculum. I.e., are you in class/lecture from 8-5PM everyday, with only an hour break for lunch? How do students typically prepare for exams? Are review sheets given out, study guides? ANY information would be appreciated, since there really isn't any curriculuar info on their website. :)

I thought I'd hear something by May 15th..and now it's the 18th. Has any of you guys heard anything yet?

I was hoping for the same, but am guessing we may not hear until towards the end of the week. Not that it stops me from checking my email or this forum compulsively, clearly.

It is okay at least you do not call or get others too hahaha.... I called today and talked to Obed they were going through the files now I hope we get an e-mail today. I am excessively anxious.

It is okay at least you do not call or get others too hahaha.... I called today and talked to Obed they were going through the files now I hope we get an e-mail today. I am excessively anxious.

Hey guys, don't get upset if you don't for a little bit. This takes time & yes I know it will drive you up the proverbial wall. Be patient since it is all you can really do. Start planing sometime type of vacation or go out with friends. You will go nuts sitting at home!
Gold

Hey guys, I was wondering if any current students could give any insight into Touro's curriculum. I.e., are you in class/lecture from 8-5PM everyday, with only an hour break for lunch? How do students typically prepare for exams? Are review sheets given out, study guides? ANY information would be appreciated, since there really isn't any curriculuar info on their website. :)

Hey guys, As you might or might not have heard, they are retooling some of the curriculum so I can't give you the definitive truth. These are the following things I can tell you.

1. You will have a new Anatomy professor.
2. The have dropped the IBT class (intro to biochem) to have it rolled into regular biochemistry.
3 This is rumor / planning: classes will be daily 8 to 12 with labs in the afternoon. Figure Monday and Tuesday will be anatomy, Wednesday / Thursday will be physical diagnosis (1 hour) or Osteopathic manipulation (2 hours). I am not sure if anat lab will be mandatory but the other two classes will be mandatory.
4. They are improving the streaming system to split the screen between the speaker and the current slide be displayed on the overhead projector. Right now the camera doesn't pick it up to well.
5. They are thinking about making class mandatory (ie you must attend 70% of classes). The class of 2012 is fighting this so we will see what happens. What the penalty is ???. I think this will be more applicable to folks who are having academic difficulties. So if you are getting A's or B's and not going to fail this might not apply. We will see what happens.

Gold

Hey guys, As you might or might not have heard, they are retooling some of the curriculum so I can't give you the definitive truth. These are the following things I can tell you.

1. You will have a new Anatomy professor.
2. The have dropped the IBT class (intro to biochem) to have it rolled into regular biochemistry.
3 This is rumor / planning: classes will be daily 8 to 12 with labs in the afternoon. Figure Monday and Tuesday will be anatomy, Wednesday / Thursday will be physical diagnosis (1 hour) or Osteopathic manipulation (2 hours). I am not sure if anat lab will be mandatory but the other two classes will be mandatory.
4. They are improving the streaming system to split the screen between the speaker and the current slide be displayed on the overhead projector. Right now the camera doesn't pick it up to well.
5. They are thinking about making class mandatory (ie you must attend 70% of classes). The class of 2012 is fighting this so we will see what happens. What the penalty is ???. I think this will be more applicable to folks who are having academic difficulties. So if you are getting A's or B's and not going to fail this might not apply. We will see what happens.

Gold

Awesome! Thank you so much, Gold!

Members don't see this ad :)
gold, any idea on when we should expect to get that email giving your ranking for high waitlist? will everyone hear back at once or does it depend on your ranking? as in be patient for another couple of days? or be patient maybe out into next week...?

Yea I'd love to hear about waitlist ranking as I'm on the high wait list. I also found out that a person who interviewed on the same day as me (May 12) got admitted to the school, so there are definitely spots, or at least there were.

There are spots left, that's what Obed said in the email. I dont know about you guys but I still have not heard back in regards to my actual ranking # either. 90 on high list is quite a scary #. Even if 40 drop out, how will they fit 50 in?

Really? Only 10 dropped? Ugh... That sucks... I heard that this year was going to be a tough year for all students to apply to medical programs, I didn't think it was going to be this competitive.

gold, any idea on when we should expect to get that email giving your ranking for high waitlist? will everyone hear back at once or does it depend on your ranking? as in be patient for another couple of days? or be patient maybe out into next week...?

Sorry no, I can only tell you how it seemed to work last year. If I remeber corectly it will be slow the next few weeks as they start to rank. The list seemed to pick up steam in june going into July.

Gold

Gold is right. No use pounding your brain. We will ALL be physicians so I would not worry too much. There are programs where they automatically take you in if you are on the waiting list or if you are on stand-by. Regardless, please be happy that you are on the waiting list, especially you high wait listers.

PharmD & MD student

"Where there is love of medicine, there is love for humanity" Hippocrates
"Great work is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." T Edison

Gold is right. No use pounding your brain. We will ALL be physicians so I would not worry too much. There are programs where they automatically take you in if you are on the waiting list or if you are on stand-by. Regardless, please be happy that you are on the waiting list, especially you high wait listers.

PharmD & MD student

I totally agree... don't worry too much. Lots of people will drop out of the waiting list or decline the position once offered. Although you will still worry, just imagine how impossible it would seem if you had been placed on the medium waitlist (like myself). You really have a fighting chance to get into the fall class. If not, then you will likely be offered a position in the next fall's class. Either way, you'll be a doctor within the next 4/5 years. Don't stress yourself too much-- you have lots of opportunities to do that while you're in medical school!!! :)

Hey Guys,

I was high waitlisted as well at Touro and just got the email from Obed today that I have been accepted. Movement should be coming soon. Best of luck to all of you!

Hey Guys,

I was high waitlisted as well at Touro and just got the email from Obed today that I have been accepted. Movement should be coming soon. Best of luck to all of you!

Congratulations!!! Glad to hear that waitlisters are already hearing some good news. :)

Yep I was high waitlist too, just interviewed a week ago, and got accepted today. I've also got an interview for a postbac program that guarantees admission to a MD school this week, but I'm prob still leaning towards Touro b/c well its in Manhattan. Just curious, what do you guys think about MD in 5 years vs DO in 4 years?

Yep I was high waitlist too, just interviewed a week ago, and got accepted today. I've also got an interview for a postbac program that guarantees admission to a MD school this week, but I'm prob still leaning towards Touro b/c well its in Manhattan. Just curious, what do you guys think about MD in 5 years vs DO in 4 years?

One year doesn't make much of a difference when you consider your entire career. What you need to think about is whether it matters to you to have the MD or DO and then decide. Do you want to invest in the extra year of work to be able to say that you are an MD? It's really your opinion that matters the most-- either will get you to the same place you want to be. However, I would accept the DO spot and go to the postbac program interview. See what happens. Why not keep both doors open until you've had ample opportunity to decide what you really want?

hey guys! i was on the high waitlist and just found out i got in today. hopefully the rest of the list will be moving soon. good luck everyone!:)

Did somebody out there mention something about Obed saying he estimated about 3/4 of high waitlisters will get in this year instead of all? There are 120 on high wait list now. I'm within the upper half of the list. Now i really really really hope i'll make it there instead of getting chopped off right at the end =/

I hope I do NOT get shot by writing what I will write. Regarding 5 years MD versus 4 years DO it depends on what you want to do my friend. If you are going to be a OMT, physical medicine/psychiatrist, sports medicine, then go the DO route. Also if you are 100% sure you want to go into primary care then DO is a good route and there is a THREE year DO program if you are dedicated to go into primary care. Please note that I am not saying that MDs don't go into primary care, more % prefer to specialize though as a DO you can also specialize and match in both DO and MD programs.

If you wanting to practicing medicine internationally or will never use OMT, then go MD route. (I am not saying that DOs can't practice in other countries, but more countries will recognize the US MD). Also please note that if you want to learn via 100% Problem Based Learning (PBL) curriculum, then MD programs have more. (Note that PBL is less structured and requires about 15-25 of contact hours per week versus traditional programs of 30-35 hours per week) There is are maybe some DO programs, like the LECOMs that teach via PBL.

We will ALL become physicians.
PharmD MD student
"Where there is love of medicine, there is love for humanity" Hippocrates

Last edited:
hey guys,

just got the email today from Obed. i was waitliested since my interview in April and I thougght the email would provide me with a ranking...instead i was given the opportunity to accept..i reallly am so excited!!! Its been a grueling and very long wait not only for DO but for many MD schools as well. I got so many rejection letters that i stopped opening the mail cuz i knew what was written lol This year is soooooo competitive it's ridiculous. It's a great feeling to know that you have a place to go and start your path of medicine..no more waiting!! For all of you high waitlisters keep the hope alive, Obed should be getting to you soon and from the previous posts it seems quite a few people already got accepted. Trust me I feel your pain. Just a few hours back I was in your position and anxious as hell but the wait paid off. I wish you all the best of luck:):D

there are a lot of DO schools with PBL options:

LECOM-B
LECOM-E
LECOM-SH
WVSOM
NYCOM
UMDNJ-SOM
DMU

to name a few

I'm a little confused - in Obed's email he says last year there were 90 on the high wait list... but on the thread from last year's class the sdn members say that there were 39 on the high wait list. Also, it seems like for this year, 120 on the high wait list is the number after several acceptances were offered from the high wait list, right?

So, if something like 90ish people who were originally put on the waitlist are ultimately offered places in the class, does that mean that almost EVERY person who is initially accepted to Touro ends up declining the offer/going somewhere else?:confused:

First of all, congrats to those high waitlisters who already got in. I hope I can be in your shoes, but according to my current ranking and what Obed claims, I'm likely to have a chance if I stick to it.

Here's how I think the logic works with the # of seats available and acceptance offers.

TouroCOM has 135 seats. Many folks have been offered acceptance. I think there's between 10-20 seats open. Within the ones that are holding on to seats right now, some have paid deposits and possibly some still have not. Out of these folks, some of them will drop out due to getting other offers and/or not coming up w/ the deposit on time.

Obed said last year all 90 high waitlisters were offered acceptance at some point. But even these high waitlisters may not want to keep waiting around for TouroCOM. Some end up accepted somewhere else, some simply forget to accept offers or fail to turn in deposit (trust me, there will be some of those), or some may just decide to head out to Caribbean schools. All of them were offered acceptance but I bet not all of them stick around. So it doesn't necessarily mean 90 of the formerly accepted people all the sudden decide to withdraw.

I'm not sure about Bluelakes comment... As I too have read that there were about 40 high-waitlisters... But whether that was after people had rejected their acceptances for other schools, I'm not sure. Also, Dtminhthu's comment about the 75% acceptance from the high-waitlist prediction, while encouraging, could be bogus as Obed had reported this a month or two before this week... But that's not going to stop me from hoping that his original estimate is accurate.

My final comment... Actually my final question is if anyone else got the e-mail where he closes with, "It's only a matter of time. You're going to be a DOCTOR!". While I'm in the upper third of the list, this comment is EXTREMELY precarious, as I know that it is pretty competitive for this high-waitlist. My thought is that Obed knows better than to flipantly throw this statement onto an e-mail regarding wait lists. Which, actually, might be a comment on his confidence about how far the waitlist will move... Did anyone else receive that closing statement on their e-mail? If so, what are you thoughts on this?

I had not received any email with an update or my status, so wrote today inquiring and Obed informed me that I am number 120 on the high wait list. :scared: I did not know there were that many people in total. I am wondering what the actual total number is and how that compares to last year. Congrats to those who have been accepted!

To Greenerd: Obed told us in the email that last year's wait list had 90 folks to begin with (before people started withdrawing wait list offers for different reasons). I hope this 120 number for this year is BEFORE accounting for those who decide to withdraw from waiting list. Cuz if people already withdrew and we still have 120, we're screwed.

To Chup: At first I had the same impression like you did regarding Obed's comment about you'll be a doctor, it's just a matter of time. But then high waitlisters are likely to be guaranteed acceptance to next year's class, so that's another year of waiting added to their life but they'll eventually become physicians. But since you're in the upper third of the list, I think you'll make it in. I'm chasing your tail, hopefully not too far =)

To Chup: At first I had the same impression like you did regarding Obed's comment about you'll be a doctor, it's just a matter of time. But then high waitlisters are likely to be guaranteed acceptance to next year's class, so that's another year of waiting added to their life but they'll eventually become physicians. But since you're in the upper third of the list, I think you'll make it in. I'm chasing your tail, hopefully not too far =)
Haha, Good luck to you buddy... GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US! I hope to make your friendship in person someday... at TouroCOM.

Chup, r u from NY or another state? If I get in, I don't know wat's the best way for me to go about looking for an apartment/roommate in a new and unfamiliar land where I dont know anybody.

To Greenerd: Obed told us in the email that last year's wait list had 90 folks to begin with (before people started withdrawing wait list offers for different reasons). I hope this 120 number for this year is BEFORE accounting for those who decide to withdraw from waiting list. Cuz if people already withdrew and we still have 120, we're screwed.=)

Not sure. I am under the impression that 120 is my rank on the wait list as of today. Unless I am the very last high waitlister, that would mean that there are many more this year than previously.. Yikes. 120 does not sound promising!!

Greenerd, I do hope u're under the wrong impression, because Obed specifically told us in the email our rank # and he said 120 is the total # of high waitlisters this year, 30 more than they had last year. So if your claim of #120 for yourself is correct, that would make you the last person on high wait list.

Stay calm. Maybe they'll go thru the entire high list. At least it's better than being in medium list.

Greenerd, I do hope u're under the wrong impression, because Obed specifically told us in the email our rank # and he said 120 is the total # of high waitlisters this year, 30 more than they had last year. So if your claim of #120 for yourself is correct, that would make you the last person on high wait list.

Stay calm. Maybe they'll go thru the entire high list. At least it's better than being in medium list.

Thanks for the encouragment! As you know, it's hard to stay clam! I did not receive an email with my rank, so I emailed Obed asking for my rank, and the total # on the wait list. He replied, "120 on the high wait list". I may have misinterpreted this as my rank (fingers crossed!!) when he may have been referring to the total?

Best of luck to everyone!

Thanks for the encouragment! As you know, it's hard to stay clam! I did not receive an email with my rank, so I emailed Obed asking for my rank, and the total # on the wait list. He replied, "120 on the high wait list". I may have misinterpreted this as my rank (fingers crossed!!) when he may have been referring to the total?

Best of luck to everyone!

*calm!!:laugh:

Hey Dtminhthu,
I actually live in Harlem about 2 blocks away from the school. I do know of a few apartments that just went up for rent on my same block. I can give you phone numbers of the apartments if and when you are ready to make that step. I'll try and help you the best I can... That goes for anyone else who's trying to find a place in NYC that is unfamiliar with the area.

Chup, thank you so much! I hope I'll get to move to Harlem. How much do those apartments cost?

Greenerd, glad to hear it sounds like you misinterpreted Obed's words.

Man, i have to admit, med school is tough.

Hey everyone, I wish i could tell you the exact cost for rent is at this listing, but you'll have to call and find out. The front looks pretty nice... But the draw back is that it faces 125th st. which means that you're going to hear the traffic. I've gotten used to it, and I'm used to near dead silence while I sleep. However the benefit is that you'll be 2 blocks from the school, half a block from the 2/3 train (express train to the west side of Manhattan) and 3 blocks from the 4,5,6 trains (I take the 6 line to my job at Albert Einstein College of Medicine)... So here's the number for the agent who's posting the apartment:

Esra Realty: Aden Seraile (212) 926-7200 X 13

This was taken off of their for rent add in front of the building.

if that 'i'll get back to you every other day' rumor holds true, then we should be hearing again sometime today...! i hope so, it'll be nice to have some idea of how much scope for movement there is. mayyybe we'll move up ten spots, since obed told 1-10 to be ready. that'd be nice :D

I also found the website for this realty company. If you're looking under the "neighborhoods" section, look for places in "Central Harlem" That's where the school is and most of the large stores are.

www.esrarealty.com

I also found the website for this realty company. If you're looking under the "neighborhoods" section, look for places in "Central Harlem" That's where the school is and most of the large stores are.

Okay, so I had to edit my last message because I tested the website last night, and it worked, but for some reason, it's not bringing up the same website. I called the company and left a message to confirm that the apartment that it's still listing, is up.

Bluelakes, who did u hear it from about the update every other day thing? I hope it's true but I have not heard anything since the first time Obed gave me my ranking number. I'm under the impression that I won't get another update until early next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.