Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm refusing to move forward with their application because of the $2000 non-refundable deposit upon admission. I'd like to take ~some~ time to weigh my options if I receive multiple acceptances.

Schools with high non-refundables are basically telling you that they aren't interested in being your back up. Same thing with that high secondary fee. It is a way to fight back against the application spam where pre-meds send out 30+ apps in a cycle. If the fee were cheap/refundable as it is at many MD schools, people would do what they do at those schools, which is accept a spot and hold it until they are able to come off the waitlist at the place they REALLY wanted to go. That is kinda sucky for people who actually REALLY want to go there, but have to wait for those other folks to give up their acceptances sometime in late spring.

I'm actually far more interested in the school upon hearing about this policy. It tells me that the other people applying are people who take the application seriously (aside from those few with money to burn!), and that I won't be going to school with a bunch of people who are disappointed to go here but had to suck it up because they didn't get their first choice acceptances. $1500-$2000 makes you think really freaking hard about whether you want that seat bad enough to keep some other person out of it while you wait to see if there is a better deal down the line for you.

The $200 fee is a great way to say don't apply if you aren't totally certain that we are your school. I'm interested in how many people shell it out and for how many seats. (Will do my own research for that answer, not asking anyone to fill me in.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Scratch what I posted. Apparently I got a TouroCA application but didn't create it properly D'OH.

Anyway I called today and the lady said there was NO SECONDARYS sent out as of yet. She said probably next month and THERE WILL BE a essay portion.

I just got an email stating that the Primary is being screened ATM, secondaries going out the week of 08/25/14.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the Middletown campus under the same accreditation as Touro NY Manhattan? Is it a Satellite campus similar to LECOM Erie/Seton Hill or a separate school?

Is it true primaries are screened heavily and if you get a secondary you're highly likely to get in?

Primaries are screened heavily and if you get a secondary you're likely to get an interview

Reactions: 1 users
I <3 Touro! I visited it two years ago. It's literally a building.... but I got a sense that the faculty and staff really care about the success of their students.

Question about my chances here. 31 MCAT (12/6/13), 3.65 cgpa according to AACOMAS, 3.7 sGPA. Shadowing, volunteering, plenty of other sport related EC's. Thank you for your responses!

Question about my chances here. 31 MCAT (12/6/13), 3.65 cgpa according to AACOMAS, 3.7 sGPA. Shadowing, volunteering, plenty of other sport related EC's. Thank you for your responses!

Chances good.

Does TouroCOM have mandatory attendance?

Search pulled up old threads from 2007/2009....

Doesn't look like it. I think as soon as they do, this thread will blow up.

Members don't see this ad :)
still waiting on a secondary here...my primary was marked as rcvd August 18th (despite sending it July 31). I've got a 30 MCAT/3.5s/3.3c/3.9 post bacc. Feeling pretty good; how's everyone else think my chances are here?

Still nothing. Does anyone have any first hand experience at Middletown's campus? What is the city like and what are the facilities like?

Any secondaries yet? I like how they gave a specific date they would start sending but didn't meet their own goal :p

Unless non-sdne'rs have received it.

submitted and paid last week 8/21
cGPA 3.97 sGPA 3.91 mcat 27 (9,10,8) and retaking in november...not sure what my chances are granted a low mcat but hoping for the secondary!

Any secondaries yet? I like how they gave a specific date they would start sending but didn't meet their own goal :p

Unless non-sdne'rs have received it.

when did they give a specific date they would send it by?

Does TouroCOM have mandatory attendance?

Search pulled up old threads from 2007/2009....

Attendance mandatory for OMM/Pathology/Physical Diagnosis laboratory classes. Most classes are not live, but are streamed through Itunes. There are review classes after the lectures are released in which there are multiple choice questions given and will count for 10-20% of the final grade for the class. So while classes can technically be skipped, it is against your best interests. The good news is that classes are typically 8-3, with classes 8-12 on fridays. Lunch is noon-1. It's a pretty liberal schedule. Lot of study time. Can even study for other classes while in class, if you're only there for the clicker points. Just answer the question and then study while the topic is being reviewed. I did it all the time with good results.

Cheers. Good luck to everybody.

when did they give a specific date they would send it by?

-----------------------------------------------------
Your AACOMAS Primary Application has been received by The TouroCOM-NY Office of Admissions.

The Office of Admissions will review your file in the order in which it has been received.

The Admissions Committee will make a collective decision to select candidates to submit a Supplemental Application after a review of your credentials has been completed.

SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATIONS WILL BEGIN TO GO OUT THE WEEK OF AUGUST 25,2014.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said, it said week of Aug 25, so my apologies. If that stands, supplementals should go out tomorrow at the latest.

That said, it said week of Aug 25, so my apologies. If that stands, supplementals should go out tomorrow at the latest.

damn i dont think I even got that email….lol

Still no secondary here....would love one because I hear receiving a secondary here means very high probability of interview.

Is this a paper application? I think the secondary comes by snail mail.

someone confirm this..
Yes, last year I was able to fill out my secondary app on my computer. But you have to print it out, add a passport photo of yourself, and send everything in through snail mail to Touro.

Just got my secondary request guys. Looks like I'll be spending the weekend writing and editing a tourocom essay (huzzah!). Good luck to those applying, sorry if some people who really want to get in didn't get a secondary. I'm a reapplicant, and I know how you feel.

Just got a secondary. I will be away this weekend so I guess it will have to wait.

Congrats, I also just received mine!

Is anyone else confused by the touro online application system?

I guess we wait for the follow up email for COM specific supplemental info

Secondary received! Good luck!

Last edited:
Do I have to create an account, there were no instructions haha?

RECEIVED! Was so confused when there was no essay but glad I have SDN to calm my nerves.

So wait guys, do recommenders have to send our letters separately??? I have all my letters uploaded on Interfolio...

I also have a question, if we already applied to Touro NV, should I create a separate account for Touro NY? This was the only thing that slightly confused me

RECEIVED! Was so confused when there was no essay but glad I have SDN to calm my nerves.

So wait guys, do recommenders have to send our letters separately??? I have all my letters uploaded on Interfolio...

I have not gotten this secondary but I did get a secondary from TouroNevada. If it is the same section then it should say somewhere that you can leave that section blank if you are sending via Interfolio etc.

I have not gotten this secondary but I did get a secondary from TouroNevada. If it is the same section then it should say somewhere that you can leave that section blank if you are sending via Interfolio etc.

Maybe I'm missing something but I dont see anything that mentions that...anyone that has the TouroNY see anything?

Okay I'm confused because there is conflicting information in this thread. In the first page of this thread, someone in June posted that they went to a open house and found out that though secondaries are sent to everyone with a minimum 24 MCAT score and 3.0 GPA, IIs are not sent to people with 24-28 MCAT scores until late March (if even then). Apparently an admissions staff member stated this tidbit. Looks like TOURO COM NY is following the same policy as AZCOM with regards to their applicants with subpar MCAT scores.

So contrary to what a lot of posters stated later on in the thread, receiving a secondary doesn't mean that you have a high chance of receiving a II. You also need to have a MCAT score above 28. Think long and hard before spending that $200.

For letters - "Please list the identities of at least 2 people"

I have 1 committee letter packet sent by my advisor which by itself includes multiple letters. Any ideas?

It's kind of a confusing application. You can tell that it is the standard application for a number of health professionals schools under the Touro umbrella. There are parts where it will tell you that IF your program is on the following list, then follow the link to download the required paperwork and upload it at the end (there are none for TouroCOM NY). Also, there is a section for LORs but when I try to access it there is no place to input information.

Anyways, I sent them an email about the LORs. Signed, sealed, delivered electronically in about an hour. I'll keep you guys posted if I learn anything about the LOR process.

Okay I'm confused because there is conflicting information in this thread. In the first page of this thread, someone in June posted that they went to a open house and found out that though secondaries are sent to everyone with a minimum 24 MCAT score and 3.0 GPA, IIs are not sent to people with 24-28 MCAT scores until late March (if even then). Apparently an admissions staff member stated this tidbit. Looks like TOURO COM NY is following the same policy as AZCOM with regards to their applicants with subpar MCAT scores.

So contrary to what a lot of posters stated later on in the thread, receiving a secondary doesn't mean that you have a high chance of receiving a II. You also need to have a MCAT score above 28. Think long and hard before spending that $200.

Given that last year's app process included a two page essay and paper submission, and this years app process entails a digital submission with no essay, I'd be careful what we believe from last year's thread.

Given that last year's app process included a two page essay and paper submission, and this years app process entails a digital submission with no essay, I'd be careful what we believe from last year's thread.

I agree but why bring up last year's thread? The post about the guy who went to the open house was posted in this year's thread.

Secondary received! No essay required. Just have to list work experience, clinical experience, research, volunteer and awards and fill out other basic information. Good luck!

hey it which section of the application did you see this?
Thanks

I agree but why bring up last year's thread? The post about the guy who went to the open house was posted in this year's thread.

Usually secondary questions and the app process doesn't seem to change much from one year to the next. I'm much more willing to trust a preponderance of evidence from last year's app process than one person saying something. The person who went to the open house may have been misinformed, or there is a problem with the online secondary, or they're going to have us write the essay at a later point. The first scenario seems most likely to me.

When I read the previous comment about there definitely being an essay, I started writing the infamous 2-page Why Harlem TouroCOM essay. I'm glad I didn't have to edit it all weekend.

hey it which section of the application did you see this?
Thanks

I forget what the title of the section that the written parts were in, but it was definitely one of the bottom few sections. Possibly in the post-secondary section? But I honestly don't remember where exactly.