Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely excited to apply here! Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if applying to middletown is through the same app? Or if there is a different admissions process?

Does anyone know if applying to middletown is through the same app? Or if there is a different admissions process?

From previous posts it seems like last year it was the same app and then you could choose 1 or both campuses on the secondary. I don't see Middletown on the current AACOMAS app so I'm guessing that's how it'll be this year also.

Is the mcat required to receive a secondary?
According to other users, Touro seems to have a very heavy screening process for both MCAT and GPA and not all of the applicants receive the secondary so I would assume that yes you would need an MCAT score in order to receive a secondary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anybody send in the application today? they say to send it in as early as possible

According to other users, Touro seems to have a very heavy screening process for both MCAT and GPA and not all of the applicants receive the secondary so I would assume that yes you would need an MCAT score in order to receive a secondary.

hey, just curious, have you come across any numbers for MCAT/GPA that seem to be cut offs for getting a secondary?

hey, just curious, have you come across any numbers for MCAT/GPA that seem to be cut offs for getting a secondary?

From last years posts it seems to be a 24 MCAT, 3.0 GPA minimum. I also talked to a third year student a couple of weeks ago who told me the screen is legit.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks!!!

They had an open house event today at the school, and they said the following:
that an MCAT of 24, cGPA of 3.0, is the screening.
if you have anything between 24-28, even if you apply early, they won't give you an interview till late March, and that's IF they accept your application; you must have lots of excellent extra-curriculars.

Also, a letter from a D.O is highly valued, and although they accept a letter from an M.D, they prefer a D.O letter. Also, they prefer the D.O to be a primary care physician, but any D.O is better than an M.D, even if the M.D is a primary care physician. I asked why, and they said it's because they want to know that the applicant is interested in osteopathic medicine specifically, and not just applying to it as a back-up school if they don't get into allopathic.

And they said an interview question will be, 100%, why osteopathic medicine.

If anybody else knows of anything, post it here. We all need as much information as we can get. Best of luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here with 3.7c/3.5s/31! I really hope I get an interview here; I love New York City and would love to see the school in person.

Sorry! Just read the above posts.

2.74c (yes you read that correctly)/3.8s/30. Very non trad. Applied laaaate, interviewed late April, recently accepted. Much less of a "get to know you" type interview. All, repeat, ALL interview questions came from my file. MD PCP letter, average ECs.

2.74c (yes you read that correctly)/3.8s/30. Very non trad. Applied laaaate, interviewed late April, recently accepted. Much less of a "get to know you" type interview. All, repeat, ALL interview questions came from my file. MD PCP letter, average ECs.
Same here. 3.05 c, 3.46 s, 27 mcat and interviewed last day of the year and pulled off of the waitlist a week ago. My interview was basically straight from my aacomas app and a few standards such as "why do" and "why touro". While I didn't have a 30 mcat, it was certainly high enough to make up for my low cgpa so don't be discouraged if everything isn't perfectly balanced. They love the mcat at the harlem campus so if you have a 30+, just toss your app in.

Same here. 3.05 c, 3.46 s, 27 mcat and interviewed last day of the year and pulled off of the waitlist a week ago. My interview was basically straight from my aacomas app and a few standards such as "why do" and "why touro". While I didn't have a 30 mcat, it was certainly high enough to make up for my low cgpa so don't be discouraged if everything isn't perfectly balanced. They love the mcat at the harlem campus so if you have a 30+, just toss your app in.
Shoot, we probably (definitely) interviewed together on the last day. Did you accept? I wonder what that says about the crop this year that they pulled two last day interviewers from the wait list.

Shoot, we probably (definitely) interviewed together on the last day. Did you accept? I wonder what that says about the crop this year that they pulled two last day interviewers from the wait list.
I did. I was set on going to kcumb for their ms in biomedical sciences program in hopes of matriculating there but ultimately decided that it was best to not wait and just take the seat. While I am not terribly thrilled about being in Middletown or going to a new school, medical school is medical school and I will have to make the best of what I have been offered. It is a great opportunity and I didn't want to go through the app process again.

I did. I was set on going to kcumb for their ms in biomedical sciences program in hopes of matriculating there but ultimately decided that it was best to not wait and just take the seat. While I am not terribly thrilled about being in Middletown or going to a new school, medical school is medical school and I will have to make the best of what I have been offered. It is a great opportunity and I didn't want to go through the app process again.
Congrats, maybe I'll see you there. Still on the fence.

Congrats, maybe I'll see you there. Still on the fence.
Not to belabor the issue, but do think accepting people who interviewed so late says anything (positive or negative) about the institution? I only ask because they told me that they still have a few seats open. Are there really that many people turning down seats? I almost get the feeling that they are just desperate to fill the roster. Not to diminish our achievement of getting into med school, I'm just curious to hear your thoughts.

Not to belabor the issue, but do think accepting people who interviewed so late says anything (positive or negative) about the institution? I only ask because they told me that they still have a few seats open. Are there really that many people turning down seats? I almost get the feeling that they are just desperate to fill the roster. Not to diminish our achievement of getting into med school, I'm just curious to hear your thoughts.

A friend just got into Middletown, but already has an acceptance at CCOM. They seem to lower the standard for Middletown alot, which is good for us underdogs.

I can completely agree with your assessment here and these are fair questions to ask. Being interviewed on the last day of the interview cycle kind of made me feel like a "bottom of the barrel" candidate and being pulled off of the Waitlist to Middletown also felt the same way. It is a great achievement to get in based on how many students apply to medical school, both DO and MD, and who ultimately get rejected. On the other hand, I definitely feel like the kid who always got picked last for kickball during elementary school recess being accepted this late to a school that may have had to start reaching for students to fill up their new campus.

Do anyone know what the OMM class is like? During what days of the week is it and which semesters? Is there a required "uniform" as some other schools have? I can't seem to find it on their website.

anybody here know what the secondary for this school is? i searched and found this, can anybody confirm it?

TOUROCOM:
Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Limit your essay to 2 pages. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

How does it work with middletown? Are the expecations the same and they just send people off to middletown to fill up spots? So basically people with slightly lower MCATs would expect to interview in the spring and get a late acceptance to middletown?

So no secondaries yet?
Applying here OOS: 3.5 cGPA 3.33 sGPA and 30 (11/9/10) MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Top choice. Dat $200 application fee doe...

Last edited:
I can completely agree with your assessment here and these are fair questions to ask. Being interviewed on the last day of the interview cycle kind of made me feel like a "bottom of the barrel" candidate and being pulled off of the Waitlist to Middletown also felt the same way. It is a great achievement to get in based on how many students apply to medical school, both DO and MD, and who ultimately get rejected. On the other hand, I definitely feel like the kid who always got picked last for kickball during elementary

school recess being accepted this late to a school that may have had to start reaching for students to fill up their new campus.
Out of curiosity, what were your stats?

Has anyone received a secondary yet?

Out of curiosity, what were your stats?
2.89 cGPA 3.30 sGPA and 27 MCAT at the time of interview. AACOMAS updated to 3.06 cGPA and 3.50 sGPA after spring grades of post bac. I ended up declining as I truly did not see Touro as a fit for me after making the trip to Middletown after acceptance and am doing KCUMB's SMP in hopes of getting in there.

The secondary fee is downright brutal. My bank account is draining fast as it is with all of these secondaries. It's kind of ironic that this school, with such a huge focus on bringing in students that will serve in underserved urban areas, makes the secondary fee so high that low-income students from these types of areas will be hesitant to put down that kind of money. I realize that it's a small investment if you look at the big picture but $200 is a lot to some of us who are struggling to get by. Especially when it's essentially a gamble because there is no guarantee of an interview. I'd rather fill out 4 other secondaries with $50 fees than one $200 one.

Reactions: 4 users
The secondary fee is downright brutal. My bank account is draining fast as it is with all of these secondaries. It's kind of ironic that this school, with such a huge focus on bringing in students that will serve in underserved urban areas, makes the secondary fee so high that low-income students from these types of areas will be hesitant to put down that kind of money. I realize that it's a small investment if you look at the big picture but $200 is a lot to some of us who are struggling to get by. Especially when it's essentially a gamble because there is no guarantee of an interview. I'd rather fill out 4 other secondaries with $50 fees than one $200 one.
Apparently if you get through the pre-secondary screen you have a pretty high chance of getting an interview. But I agree, I already think secondary fees are exorbitant and this is the highest one of any school I've seen.

Apparently if you get through the pre-secondary screen you have a pretty high chance of getting an interview. But I agree, I already think secondary fees are exorbitant and this is the highest one of any school I've seen.
I'm refusing to move forward with their application because of the $2000 non-refundable deposit upon admission. I'd like to take ~some~ time to weigh my options if I receive multiple acceptances.

I'm refusing to move forward with their application because of the $2000 non-refundable deposit upon admission. I'd like to take ~some~ time to weigh my options if I receive multiple acceptances.
Wow, that's brutal.

anybody here know what the secondary for this school is? it's been a while since applying, and this is the only secondary i haven't received yet.

i searched and found this, can anybody confirm it?
TOUROCOM:
Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Limit your essay to 2 pages. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

Anyone know how long it takes to receive a secondary? I'm a 3.5 sgpa, 3.3 cgpa, 3.9 postbacc and 30 mcat...and still haven't gotten a secondary after submitting almost 2 weeks ago....

Anyone know how long it takes to receive a secondary? I'm a 3.5 sgpa, 3.3 cgpa, 3.9 postbacc and 30 mcat...and still haven't gotten a secondary after submitting almost 2 weeks ago....
Don't worry, I have been waiting since beginning of July with what I believe to be applicable stats for this school. I don't think they have started sending secondaries yet, especially because I just received Touro NV last week.

IDK about yall but to me it looks like there isn't a supplemental essay part? This is under the section named Supplemental Questions...

Not Applicable for Non-Matriculated Applicants

If the school or program you are applying to is listed below: Download the Word document containing essay prompts, answer the questions in the file, and save the file. Then, please upload the file below.

If not: You can skip this section.

• Touro College Undergraduate – Lander Colleges and Touro College Los Angeles
  • Touro College Undergraduate - School of Health Sciences
  • Touro College (NY) Graduate School of Business
  • Touro College (NY) Graduate School of Education
  • Touro College (NY) Graduate School of Jewish Studies
  • Touro College (NY) Graduate School of Psychology
  • Touro College (NY) Graduate School of Social Work
  • Touro College (NY) Graduate School of Technology
  • Touro University Nevada - Doctor of Nursing Practice
You got a secondary?

SO I'm not the only one who hasn't hear a word from Touro-NY?

Reactions: 2 users
Ok ya'll so I just spent the last 20 mins searching through last years thread.

First batch of secondaries seemed to have went out on 9/11. HIGHLY SCREENED with what people said were 100% interview after receiving secondary.

Not sure if these points have been mentioned in above posts but even if they have good to reiterate for the neurotic people like me :)

Reactions: 3 users
Ok ya'll so I just spent the last 20 mins searching through last years thread.

First batch of secondaries seemed to have went out on 9/11. HIGHLY SCREENED with what people said were 100% interview after receiving secondary.

Not sure if these points have been mentioned in above posts but even if they have good to reiterate for the neurotic people like me :)
that kinda justifies the $200 fee haha