Touro-CA MSMHS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Cal_EMT @Gizmo11 @discountseafood1
^First off, shoutout to these fellas/ladies. You have done a great job of providing great insight. Thank you!

I've just recently been admitted to this program and had a few questions that I was hoping some of the seasoned veterans could answer.

1) Where are you as far as acceptance to TUCOM? Other medical schools? Have students historically been accepted to osteopathic schools, or do some get interviews/acceptances from allopathic schools as well? Are students mostly accepted to schools in CA or a mixed bag of here and there?

2) Some of you have discussed the difficulty of the program. You guys are not the first. It has been repeated all over SDN. I'm sure it's what is causing hesitation for some. I am curious as to how many of you and your classmates have a 3.5+ GPA (PM if you feel thats more comfortable). "Difficulty" is hard to gauge without numbers. I'm sure many of you have put in the nitty gritty, but I'm curious to see how many people in the program have been successful. What percentage of students would you say score below a 3.5 GPA? Do the majority of students end up in medical school?

3) What are some things you wish you knew before entering the program? What are some keys to success that you have learned? Are there professors or advisors you feel are great resources that we should connect with?

4) Since you are close to finishing your program, do you recommend this program? What would you have done differently if you do not.

Thank you again.

Great questions, I would love the answers to these because I am still debating between Touro and another program and I'm becoming a little worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Cal_EMT @Gizmo11 @discountseafood1
^First off, shoutout to these fellas/ladies. You have done a great job of providing great insight. Thank you!

I've just recently been admitted to this program and had a few questions that I was hoping some of the seasoned veterans could answer.

1) Where are you as far as acceptance to TUCOM? Other medical schools? Have students historically been accepted to osteopathic schools, or do some get interviews/acceptances from allopathic schools as well? Are students mostly accepted to schools in CA or a mixed bag of here and there?

2) Some of you have discussed the difficulty of the program. You guys are not the first. It has been repeated all over SDN. I'm sure it's what is causing hesitation for some. I am curious as to how many of you and your classmates have a 3.5+ GPA (PM if you feel thats more comfortable). "Difficulty" is hard to gauge without numbers. I'm sure many of you have put in the nitty gritty, but I'm curious to see how many people in the program have been successful. What percentage of students would you say score below a 3.5 GPA? Do the majority of students end up in medical school?

3) What are some things you wish you knew before entering the program? What are some keys to success that you have learned? Are there professors or advisors you feel are great resources that we should connect with?

4) Since you are close to finishing your program, do you recommend this program? What would you have done differently if you do not.

Thank you again.
1) I'm not sure if we are the best people to answer most of this question, since I really don't know much about the former masters students, other than the ones who graduated last year. It seems like a majority have gone to touro, but there have been a few who have gone to other DO schools. I don't know of anyone who has gone to an MD school after this program, but I'm sure some people have. I applied to only DO schools.

2) Historically, at least as far as I know, most all of the former masters students have gone to med school, although apparently 1 person went to podiatry school. And here's a link to the grade scale for touro http://studentservices.tu.edu/_resources/docs/registrar/formspage/Grade_Scale.pdf the grades are submitted as percentages, NOT letters, so the GPA ends up a bit different than other schools.

3) We have discussed this quite a bit on the 1st and 2nd pages. But yes, the professors are usually great resources.

4) yes, I would recommend this program, but you have to be fully committed to it to be successful.

Great questions, I would love the answers to these because I am still debating between Touro and another program and I'm becoming a little worried.
While there may be some things about Touro that are a little frustrating (ie campus being closed for holidays), I personally really like it. I think it's the people here who make it a really great place to go to school (students and faculty both). Touro is both inclusive and diverse, and is pretty involved with the community. One of the more important things for me, when I was looking at med schools, was how involved they are in the community. We have the student run free clinic, the berkeley suitcase clinic, the lunchtime OMM lab on campus (where you can get treated by OMS Is and IIs), the Solano County clinics, and the MOBEC (mobile diabetes education center), which goes out into the community and does diabetes testing and various other things. There are also quite a few community volunteer opportunities throughout the year.

Oh yeah, and the food is usually pretty good too. The brisket is pretty amazing, I've heard the salmon is really good (I haven't tried it cuz I don't like salmon), the vegetable pot pie is awesome, pot roast is good....and the scones are super tasty too. It just sucks that the lunch line is usually pretty long. The cafeteria is open from 11:30 til 1:30 though, so it's not too bad right at 11:30 or around 1pm. I do really wish they served breakfast though :( they do make breakfast burritos, but only for special events, such as orientation

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Jumping back in here to say I think I'll be doing NSU's MBS program. Hard decision but I think it gives me the best shot. Giving a shoutout to themedicalschoolguru, helped me get into every postbacc I applied to (for reference UPenn, here, VCOM, WesternU MSMS, and Nova's MBS). Last cycle I hired insider medical admissions and didn't get in, this cycle I got multiple acceptances. That pretty much says it all.
About

Reactions: 1 users
Have currently students heard/receive more information for how many guaranteed spots there are? Last time I heard, around ~5 people got an early acceptance into Touro from the program

I applied back on March 14th and still hasn't gotten a reply and emailed them but they said that they will notify when a decision has been made. Im so concerned that its because I'm getting rejected.

I applied back on March 14th and still hasn't gotten a reply and emailed them but they said that they will notify when a decision has been made. Im so concerned that its because I'm getting rejected.
I would think that if they had chosen to reject you, you would probably know by now. My best guess would be they either haven't reviewed it yet or that you're waitlisted. It never hurts to do a follow-up email to check your status.

Thank you for the reply. That makes sense. I followed up and she just said i will be notified when a decision is made.

Do they have a preference for Cali/west coast people? I'm a FL native so wanted to make sure I actually have a solid shot

Do they have a preference for Cali/west coast people? I'm a FL native so wanted to make sure I actually have a solid shot
Touro in general has a high percentage of students from California, but they definitely admit people from out of state. I don't remember exactly how many people in our class are out of state, maybe 7 or 8. It's worth applying

Here's to hoping they get back to us (the people that applied right before/after spring break) with good new this week, now that the semester is over.

How long does it take to get a decision? applied 4/24 but haven't heard back :((((

How long does it take to get a decision? applied 4/24 but haven't heard back :((((
I submitted my app 3/28 and it was completed on their end around 4/20. Still haven't heard back since then. The website says it takes three weeks for a decision. After emailing Naisha, I was told that they will notify us immediately after a decision has been made. Like I said earlier I am hoping it's this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my app 3/28 and it was completed on their end around 4/20. Still haven't heard back since then. The website says it takes three weeks for a decision. After emailing Naisha, I was told that they will notify us immediately after a decision has been made. Like I said earlier I am hoping it's this week.

Our semester is over, but COM 1 has finals this week AND there were graduations on Monday and Tuesday. Maybe you guys will hear back after all the COM finals are over

Do you guys know how many people have heard back from the second interview? How many people total got into touro? What about the rest? What are their plans?

About 20 students out of 60 were offered seats for next year. Plan accordingly if you want to come here. Be prepared to grab this degree and go to another school.

About 20 students out of 60 were offered seats for next year. Plan accordingly if you want to come here. Be prepared to grab this degree and go to another school.
That kind of makes it seem worse than it is. 32 people ended up interviewing, out of the 58 that we ended the semester with. So 20-ish (?) out of the 32 of us who interviewed were accepted, although it seems to me that it may be closer to 25. I would imagine there may be some people who were waitlisted, but I don't know of any for sure. I heard from someone that anyone who got waitlisted will be high priority on the waitlist though.

Last edited:
To all late interviewees/waitlistees: word through the grapevine, there will be more waitlist movement and late acceptances than in years past. Apparently significantly more of the early acceptances have turned down acceptances than compared to past years. This may have to do with CNU upping their class size to 120

Good luck all!

Last edited:
To all late interviewees/waitlistees: word through the grapevine, there will be more waitlist movement and late acceptances than in years past. Apparently significantly more of the early acceptances have turned down acceptances than compared to past years. This may have to do with CNU upping their class size to 120

Good luck all!
Do you mean for the Masters or for the COM? I've heard that for the COM, there have been a greater than average number of people declining their acceptance.

And to further comment on discountseafood's post, yes I agree that you should apply to more schools than touro, since there's no guarantee that you'll get accepted

That kind of makes it seem worse than it is. 32 people ended up interviewing, out of the 58 that we ended the semester with. So 20-ish (?) out of the 32 of us who interviewed were accepted, although it seems to me that it may be closer to 25. I would imagine there may be some people who were waitlisted, but I don't know of any for sure. I heard from someone that anyone who got waitlisted will be high priority on the waitlist though.

I just graduated from Touro's Masters program. I actually heard that only 27 people interviewed from our class this past year. I don't know how many people exactly they accepted, however I do know of someone that was waitlisted. So if they took 20 out of 27, I think that speaks well of Touro's acceptance from the Masters program.

I just graduated from Touro's Masters program. I actually heard that only 27 people interviewed from our class this past year. I don't know how many people exactly they accepted, however I do know of someone that was waitlisted. So if they took 20 out of 27, I think that speaks well of Touro's acceptance from the Masters program.
I think you're forgetting to count the 5 who interviewed "early", but I agree, still a pretty decent percentage.

20 spots by my count, including the first 5. Plenty of wait listed people, a few rejected. Keep in mind that plenty of highly qualified students chose NOT to apply this year. They did not screen us when we applied to the master's program for when we expected to apply to med school. If all 60 students were ready to apply to med school and tried to matriculate immediately after the MSMHS program, you'd still have the hard 20 spots. I don't think they would have opened up enough seats for 2/3 of whoever interviewed. It just so happened that about 30 people wanted to interview for the 20 available spots.

Worst case scenario, which is entirely possible, is that you have a 33% matriculation rate (20/60). Best case is only 20 students want the seats and 20 get them, 100%.

Accepted!! Got a letter in the mail today!

Congrats!! When did you submit your application? I'm still waiting for my letter :/

EDIT: Nvm, saw earlier in this thread that you submitted it on 3/28 :D

Last edited:
How are you all graded? On a curve or z-score?
Percentage converted to GPA and an equivalent letter grade. None of the classes are curved, which some people aren't used to, but there were no curves at the school I went to for undergrad, so I was fine with it. Grades are rounded up, but I'm not sure what the cut off is, 0.4 or 0.5 I think. Physio was the only class that provided us with a Z score, but the averages and means will usually be provided for the other classes. Here's a link to the grade scale conversion studentservices.tu.edu/_resources/docs/registrar/formspage/Grade_Scale.pdf

Last edited:

I'm a Tennessee Resident who was accepted to this program, so don't give up!

Hey all,

I'm an NJ resident who was accepted to this program - really looking forward to starting. I have a question; when if at all should I expect to hear anything about the start of the program? I know orientation is 8/2/17 but are we expected to show up or do they send us resources before the start of the program? Since I got my acceptance it's been all quiet on the western front.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm an NJ resident who was accepted to this program - really looking forward to starting. I have a question; when if at all should I expect to hear anything about the start of the program? I know orientation is 8/2/17 but are we expected to show up or do they send us resources before the start of the program? Since I got my acceptance it's been all quiet on the western front.

Thanks!
There will be 2 days of orientation specific to the program after the campus wide orientation (both days are mandatory, along with campus wide orientation) . You should begin classes the day after orientation is complete. We didn't hear anything until at least late June regarding program information, it may have even been early July. You should get an email on your touro Gmail with more information, so be sure to check it. Also, your schedule can't be made until the COM schedule is complete, since most of the profs teach in both programs. I think we got our class schedule the day before class started

I applied back on 3/16 and still haven't heard back. Now I'm very concerned

have you tried emailing them to check your status?
Yes i have once and they just said i will be notified once a decision is made. This was back in April though. I emailed again a couple days ago and no response.

Has anyone who applied in May heard back yet?

Last edited:
Accepted via email today! My application was marked complete on 5/5.

Hi, I was complete on 5/23 and was accepted today! I had a low GPA and 506 MCAT, but i think i'll be attending a different program so i hope someone else gets my spot! I'll be declining/withdrawing on monday. good luck pals

Just got my acceptance today! I'm freaking out because I've been stuck between AZCOM MABS, LECOM Post-Bacc, and Heritage MAMs because TUCOM took forever to get back to me! So so so HAPPY! Congrats everyone else who has received an acceptance as well! :):clap:

*Edit* was complete 5/8

Just got my acceptance today! I'm freaking out because I've been stuck between AZCOM MABS, LECOM Post-Bacc, and Heritage MAMs because TUCOM took forever to get back to me! So so so HAPPY! Congrats everyone else who has received an acceptance as well! :):clap:

*Edit* was complete 5/8
have you decided where you're going to go?

well i was accepted 2 weeks ago but they didnt send me my acceptance till yesterday :((((( lol
Does anyone know if this program offers financial aid?
I am deciding between vcom and touro ca. Anyone have any suggestion on which program I should pursue?
Thanks

well i was accepted 2 weeks ago but they didnt send me my acceptance till yesterday :((((( lol
Does anyone know if this program offers financial aid?
I am deciding between vcom and touro ca. Anyone have any suggestion on which program I should pursue?
Thanks
Yes, you can get student loans. I think I was offered around $56k for the entire year.
I know nothing about VCOM, and I'm biased for Touro, so that's hard to say. Where are you from?

I'm a missouri resident but just graduated from UCLA. I'm leaning towards Touro since I am already in California. But housing and tuition seems more expensive here :(
Yes, you can get student loans. I think I was offered around $56k for the entire year.
I know nothing about VCOM, and I'm biased for Touro, so that's hard to say. Where are you from?

I'm a missouri resident but just graduated from UCLA. I'm leaning towards Touro since I am already in California. But housing and tuition seems more expensive here :(
Yes, unfortunately housing can be quite expensive. But moving all the way across the country is rather expensive too. I think rooms on the island are usually between $600-850/ mo. the cheapest 1bd apartments are around $1400/mo and are usually not in awesome parts of town.

TUN is $59k for the entire year and I think tuition is $26k. Are all Touro's have same tuition fee?

TUN is $59k for the entire year and I think tuition is $26k. Are all Touro's have same tuition fee?
No the touros do not have the same tuition. The TUC COM is $53k per year. The MS is $23k / year

have you decided where you're going to go?
Yes! I chose Touro. I cannot wait to start. Any tips on what I should be doing to prepare myself for this rigorous curriculum?

Yes! I chose Touro. I cannot wait to start. Any tips on what I should be doing to prepare myself for this rigorous curriculum?
I suggest using Anki or quizlet to make flashcards to test yourself over and over again to prepare for the tests. I personally prefer Anki, because it's more customizable. Both anki and quizlet have computer app and phone app versions. the Apple version of the anki app is not free, unfortunately, but the android version is

Anki - powerful, intelligent flashcards
I'm not sure how much you can actually do to prepare before school starts, but reviewing molecular and cell bio is a good idea. It's a tough class.

Still on the wait list. So nervous. Any comments?