Touro-CA MSMHS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't say for the entire class. My stats were 3.4 overall, 3.3 science, 26 & 28 MCAT. A few I talked to had >3.0 GPA and >28 MCAT (or they haven't taken the MCAT yet). Some had stellar GPAs like 3.7.

I'd say go for it. It doesn't hurt to try. I applied quite literally before the deadline and still got in (probably one of the best impulsive decisions I have made).

Just FYI, I have my own reservations about TUCOM (meaning, I'd rather not go to TUCOM. This is just from my own observations as a MSMHS student, talking to TUCOM students, and living with COM1 students) but I really like the MSMHS.
So I prob won't have a good chance if my science GPA is less than or equal to 3.0 huh? Everyone in the program seems to have a decent to good GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I prob won't have a good chance if my science GPA is less than or equal to 3.0 huh? Everyone in the program seems to have a decent to good GPA
I had a 3.23 cGPA and a 2.87 sGPA going into the program. But if your science AND cumulative GPAs are <3.0 I'd imagine it might make it more difficult to get in. Also, they require at least a 2.75 science and cumulative GPAs

Accepted! Just now =D

If anyone is interested, applied last week of feb, had a low GPA (<3.0sGPA), good MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Just got my acceptance email today for getting into the program :) goodluck to everyone else applying!

Received my Acceptance today as well. Best of luck to everyone else waiting. :)

Accepted. At first I was super excited because I knew in the past you basically had a guaranteed acceptance here but now that the class size has been quadrupled... idk :/ I've also been accepted to UPenn's program so now I have to decide between the two. This one is certainly a lot cheaper and I suppose knowing that if I'm 25% is sort of reassuring, but it also sounds like I'd literally be pulling my hair out agonizing over every point. I'm a personal trainer and someone said they literally have to give up exercise. Yikes.

good luck guys! I really hope i get in. I have a science GPA of around 2.9 and overall GPA of around 3.1

I'm sure sure Touro COM can probably take A FEW more than 15 (i.e. giving those reserved spots to the top 15 and taking a few more from the regular application pool) but I'd wager not much more. My guess would be 20 total, 25 absolute tops.

I just got into the program yesterday via notification of email! Goodluck to all applying :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far

Reactions: 1 user
I've been accepted to the program and will be attending in the fall. I was wondering if a current student or previous student could answer the following (I know others have asked a slightly different question)
1. How will/has the class size increase changed the matriculation rate to TUCOM?
2. Is there more than ~15 spots reserved for MSMHS students?
3. What has been the most difficult course or aspect of the program?

edit: I sent an email to Mrs. Bible yesterday asking the same question but I figured a current student would have a more insight

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted to the program and will be attending in the fall. I was wondering if a current student or previous student could answer the following (I know others have asked a slightly different question)
1. How will/has the class size increase changed the matriculation rate to TUCOM?

edit: I sent an email to Mrs. Bible yesterday asking the same question but I figured a current student would have a more insight
Gizmo11 and I have a few posts on the first page of this thread that should answer your first 2 questions. As for the 3rd: the most difficult part for me was adjusting to studying 30+ hours a week and just plain figuring out how to study the material. It's completely different from undergrad....not comparable whatsoever and there is a steep learning curve. Figuring out an effective way to study the amount of material was a little tough for me at first, but I got used to it after a while. Oh, and generally speaking, your grades will be mostly dependent on exam scores. Most classes do not have quizzes or homework to help bump up your grade if you didn't too super well on an exam, and the courses are not curved. You do get an opportunity to review the exams and "challenge" any questions you though may have had more than one correct answer or were confusing, etc, but that doesn't tend to net many additional points on exams (seemed to be zero to 3 or 4 on average)

Check the first page for 1 & 2, I feel like we answered those first two questions very thoroughly... But basically, we don't know how it has affected the matriculation rate to TUCOM. We've only had 5 students accepted so far and we were just on spring break so we don't know what's going to happen. There are "15 spots" reserved for MSMHS but honestly, we don't know. We're assuming there's 15, based on the past.

And def everything overall is pretty difficult. All your lower division undergrad science classes took about a year or so? We finish those within the first month. Like I said in one of my previous posts, it's a taste of med school. It'll be hard. But you get used to it. You learn how to study better. You learn to concentrate, etc. And med school is tougher than our program, so it will help you when you do start med school.

I'd say that the hardest thing for me was getting used to having to sit still for greater than 5 minutes to study. And learning that you can't just study 24/7 otherwise you will go insane.

I am current student and I'll post my input:

This is a pretty intense program in the sense that you have to perform consistently high if you want to get in here next year. I had hopes for getting in next year, but it turns out I'm a pretty average student, and that means I'm not going to be in the running. I don't know what my classmate means by "survive" in the above post, but basically most of us here are working our tails off to do well enough to convince another school we can pass muster. If you're not passing in this program, it's bad news for med school. That is true. But from what I can tell, med school can be more relaxed than we are in the MSMHS. This course is a sprint for the top 15 spots. Med school is a marathon when the goal is to make it to the finish line. They're different things.

Things will help you get into that top 15:

great time management skills
being 100% okay with giving up things you love to succeed (I gave up exercise)
having all your apps and MCAT done before starting lectures (Program starts in late July/early Aug)
having strong study habits/staying on task with a group

About the program:

They have no idea what will happen with the 60 students this year. I had a faculty member tell me that you need an 85% and up average to show you're cut out for med school, but that is half the class. They aren't taking 30 of us. They gave us a 5 month anatomy program and tried to cram it into 3 months. There are bumps. Throw the history out the window. Do not expect high matriculation rates in your class.
did you already have your MCAT done?

Gizmo11 and I have a few posts on the first page of this thread that should answer your first 2 questions. As for the 3rd: the most difficult part for me was adjusting to studying 30+ hours a week and just plain figuring out how to study the material. It's completely different from undergrad....not comparable whatsoever and there is a steep learning curve. Figuring out an effective way to study the amount of material was a little tough for me at first, but I got used to it after a while. Oh, and generally speaking, your grades will be mostly dependent on exam scores. Most classes do not have quizzes or homework to help bump up your grade if you didn't too super well on an exam, and the courses are not curved. You do get an opportunity to review the exams and "challenge" any questions you though may have had more than one correct answer or were confusing, etc, but that doesn't tend to net many additional points on exams (seemed to be zero to 3 or 4 on average)

Check the first page for 1 & 2, I feel like we answered those first two questions very thoroughly... But basically, we don't know how it has affected the matriculation rate to TUCOM. We've only had 5 students accepted so far and we were just on spring break so we don't know what's going to happen. There are "15 spots" reserved for MSMHS but honestly, we don't know. We're assuming there's 15, based on the past.

And def everything overall is pretty difficult. All your lower division undergrad science classes took about a year or so? We finish those within the first month. Like I said in one of my previous posts, it's a taste of med school. It'll be hard. But you get used to it. You learn how to study better. You learn to concentrate, etc. And med school is tougher than our program, so it will help you when you do start med school.

I'd say that the hardest thing for me was getting used to having to sit still for greater than 5 minutes to study. And learning that you can't just study 24/7 otherwise you will go insane.

Thank you for responding even after responding previously in the thread. I guess I was just trying to figure out if any of the students in your class have been accepted already. Naisha Bible emailed me back and she said....

"Hi-

The increase in Msmhs Program size increase has been adjusted accordingly for applicants applying to the Do Program. We do not give any further information out.

We are unable to predict how many Msmhs students will be entering into the Do Program as the cycle has not started yet."

Sooooo- basically they don't know and neither will we. I did notice that previously, in the FAQ section, they said "historically we accept 90% of the MSMHS into TUCOM" (roughly) and now that is missing from the FAQ section. Guess only time will tell but i'm keeping my fingers cross for you guys!

Thank you for responding even after responding previously in the thread. I guess I was just trying to figure out if any of the students in your class have been accepted already. Naisha Bible emailed me back and she said....

"Hi-

The increase in Msmhs Program size increase has been adjusted accordingly for applicants applying to the Do Program. We do not give any further information out.

We are unable to predict how many Msmhs students will be entering into the Do Program as the cycle has not started yet."

Sooooo- basically they don't know and neither will we. I did notice that previously, in the FAQ section, they said "historically we accept 90% of the MSMHS into TUCOM" (roughly) and now that is missing from the FAQ section. Guess only time will tell but i'm keeping my fingers cross for you guys!
k-2so-calculations-i-find-that-answer-vague-and-unconvincing.jpg

"Hi-

It's not much less vague for us. 5 people from our class interviewed "early" (the beginning of this month) and all 5 got accepted. The rest of us won't be interviewing until May. So it's really hard to say how many of us will be accepted.

"Hi-

The program has only been around for around 6 years. Our next interview date is slated for May 8. Again, if you guys are confused, we're equally confused. So sorry that we can't give as much information or answer the questions as much as you guys want because we ourselves don't even know the answers.

And for all who are curious to see what the calendar was like for this past semester, go to Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences - Touro University, California and on the right click "Course Schedule"

So sorry that we can't give as much information or answer the questions as much as you guys want because we ourselves don't even know the answers.

We appreciate you letting us know regardless. Quick question, what textbooks do you use? I can't find it online. Also, looking at the schedule. Are classes only till March? After that it looks like research until late May.

Last edited:
We appreciate you letting us know regardless. Quick question, what textbooks do you use? I can't find it online. Also, looking at the schedule. Are classes only till March? After that it looks like research until late May.

We were given access to a google drive that had all of the textbooks that we needed. I'm assuming it came from previous students. Touro also has all the books online, so TECHNICALLY you don't need to buy books. But I started buying the physical copies of the books on Amazon just to reduce eye strain and it was just easier to mark things, quickly go to index, compare/contrast chapters and what not. You could also go to the library too

This is a list of the "required" books given to us:
- Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry, 6e
- A Color Atlas and Text of Histology, 6th edition
- Fundamental Neuroscience for Basic and Clinical Applications, 3rd edition, Haines, Churchill Livingstone
- Neuroanatomy: An atlas of Structures, Sections, and Systems, 7th edition, Haines, Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins
- Guyton and Hall physiology
- Some stats book, but don't remember the title and lost the syllabus for the biostats class
- Netter's Anatomy Atlas
- Grant's Dissector
- Gray's Basic Anatomy
- Immunology by Doan, 2e
- Med Micro by Murray, 8e
- Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, 13e, by Katzung

I also have a list of books that I would recommend/found very useful, but I think that's better suited for a PM.

Yes, the spring semester schedule is correct. You only have class from January to March, then just research. We're all currently doing research right now. I'd say spring semester was a better simulation/feel of what medical school would really be like.

I also attached to this post our fall semester schedule, so you can compare/contrast the two semesters.

Attachments

• msmhscalendar_fall.pdf
    140.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited by a moderator:
You will also have access to UpToDate, through the library, which I found really helpful for parts of pharmacology

Have any students been accepted to other med schools?

I know at least 3 of us have been accepted to other medical schools.
Plus the 5 that were accepted from the "early interview".

Edit: Oops. Sorry, read the original question wrong. Yeah, I know of 2 or 3 people how have been accepted to other med schools

Last edited:
One last question (that was probably answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it)... How is the retention rate for the MSMHS program? I read a post that said a few students dropped for personal reasons but I can't remember if that was said for a class of 15 or 60? Also, would it be feasible to commute from an hour away every day.
Thank you again for answering all our questions, you both have been very helpful!

One last question (that was probably answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it)... How is the retention rate for the MSMHS program? I read a post that said a few students dropped for personal reasons but I can't remember if that was said for a class of 15 or 60? Also, would it be feasible to commute from an hour away every day.
Thank you again for answering all our questions, you both have been very helpful!
We started with 63 or 64 and had 59 at the beginning of this semester. It looks like 58 people took the finals, but I'm not sure if we lost another person or if someone took the finals late because they were gone for an interview. So a relatively high retention rate

Keep the questions coming, we definitely don't mind!

I think the retention rate has been pretty consistent. At least for our current cohort, most of us have been a few years out of school (few of us are fresh out of undergrad) and because of that, most of us are more mature to be able to handle the curriculum, or are highly motivated to study. I don't think anyone has dropped out because of grades, but we did just finish finals so it could be that some of us have to remediate. BUT the average were pretty good so who knows.

I know of at least 3 people that commute an hour away each day. It's quite possible, but very tough. They're definitely able to manage. They've just learned to be more efficient. You could record the lectures and listen to it on your commute as a way of efficiency.

Accepted. At first I was super excited because I knew in the past you basically had a guaranteed acceptance here but now that the class size has been quadrupled... idk :/ I've also been accepted to UPenn's program so now I have to decide between the two. This one is certainly a lot cheaper and I suppose knowing that if I'm 25% is sort of reassuring, but it also sounds like I'd literally be pulling my hair out agonizing over every point. I'm a personal trainer and someone said they literally have to give up exercise. Yikes.

I definitely wouldn't give up exercise. There's been a lot of studies that PROVE that exercise helps with learning. You also have to learn to find balance, otherwise, you're going to go crazy. I personally got a 3.8 in the fall. But I didn't exercise, ate very poorly, slept very poorly, and I hated life/was very miserable. But doing exercise this past spring helped me to get the same grades AND I didn't lose my sanity. So you need to find something to get your mind off studying, otherwise you definitely will go insane.

New account because I forgot my old password. Oops!

Yes, I took the MCAT before coming to this program. My stats were low GPA (~3.0), mid-average MCAT (~85th percentile). People came here for different reasons, but I wouldn't do this program unless you're out of options and you need a LAST CHANCE to show schools you have what it takes. If you are here because of a low MCAT, I can't think of a compelling reason to spend $20K and risking a decent-good GPA on this. I would advise anyone reading this in that situation to just retake the test.

I gave up exercise because my study habits were garbage and I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out strategies that worked. If you study well, you will have time to do the things you love and to take care of yourself. If you don't study well, you will have to take the time to figure it out. This semester, we had exams back-to-back in a short period of time, so literally everyone was studying all the time. The first semester was more relaxed, even if it didn't feel like it at first.

Here's more on how to study and do well in this program:

1. All professors have objectives to their lectures. These are important guides on how to study and where to focus. If you can do the objectives and know them well, you will do decently on the exams.
2. Some professors will adhere to their objectives more strictly than others. I found this most true for our physiology professors and molecular biology professors, generally.
3. Some courses are memorization heavy, like pharm and immunology. These require repetition. Get to the stage where you can just memorize all the important stuff as soon as possible. There is enough time, but don't waste any doing things that don't make you actively memorize the slides.
4. Study for anatomy lab by going into the lab with people who can teach you. This was huge for me. I was lost trying to do it on my own.
5. Dr. Puder will be straight forward in that she will be extremely clear about her expectations. You will love her when she is there. You will miss her when she is gone.

Coming from undergrad, I was trained to be curious and think deeply. You won't need that here except maybe for research. Yes, some of the things we learn are cool and interesting. Yes, we learn a lot. But some subjects will suck. Some professors will suck. You need to learn the stuff anyway.

Generally, you just learn what's on the slides and lectures. You don't need anything fancy except repetition, recall, doing practice problems or something comparable. There are many quizlet sets floating around by our class and the classes before. Some were helpful. Stay organized. I used a planner to stay on top of all the things I needed to do.

Put in the work, but put in the right work. Stay on task, stay organized. Do this and you will do fine. If you get lucky and do it really well, you'll be extremely relaxed come this time next year. But if you screw up, the road to medical school gets even harder and more expensive. It's not impossible, but it's risky. Just know that coming here. This is probably the last time I'll post here, but if you get into this program and we link up in a mentor/mentee relationship, I'll tell you more.

Yes, I took the MCAT before coming to this program. My stats were low GPA (~3.0), mid-average MCAT (~85th percentile). People came here for different reasons, but I wouldn't do this program unless you're out of options and you need a LAST CHANCE to show schools you have what it takes. If you are here because of a low MCAT, I can't think of a compelling reason to spend $20K and risking a decent-good GPA on this. I would advise anyone reading this in that situation to just retake the test.

I gave up exercise because my study habits were garbage and I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out strategies that worked. If you study well, you will have time to do the things you love and to take care of yourself. If you don't study well, you will have to take the time to figure it out. This semester, we had exams back-to-back in a short period of time, so literally everyone was studying all the time. The first semester was more relaxed, even if it didn't feel like it at first.

1. All professors have objectives to their lectures. These are important guides on how to study and where to focus. If you can do the objectives and know them well, you will do decently on the exams.
2. Some professors will adhere to their objectives more strictly than others. I found this most true for our physiology professors and molecular biology professors, generally.
3. Some courses are memorization heavy, like pharm and immunology. These require repetition. Get to the stage where you can just memorize all the important stuff as soon as possible. There is enough time, but don't waste any doing things that don't make you actively memorize the slides.
4. Study for anatomy lab by going into the lab with people who can teach you. This was huge for me. I was lost trying to do it on my own.
5. Dr. Puder will be straight forward in that she will be extremely clear about her expectations. You will love her when she is there. You will miss her when she is gone.

Coming from undergrad, I was trained to be curious and think deeply. You won't need that here except maybe for research. Yes, some of the things we learn are cool and interesting. Yes, we learn a lot. But some subjects will suck. Some professors will suck. You need to learn the stuff anyway.

Generally, you just learn what's on the slides and lectures. You don't need anything fancy except repetition, recall, doing practice problems or something comparable. There are many quizlet sets floating around by our class and the classes before. Some were helpful. Stay organized. I used a planner to stay on top of all the things I needed to do.

Put in the work, but put in the right work. Stay on task, stay organized. Do this and you will do fine. If you get lucky and do it really well, you'll be extremely relaxed come this time next year. But if you screw up, the road to medical school gets even harder and more expensive. It's not impossible, but it's risky. Just know that coming here. This is probably the last time I'll post here, but if you get into this program and we link up in a mentor/mentee relationship, I'll tell you more.

Well, now I'm spooked.

It is possible to do really well. You can do it. Anyone can. You just have to apply the correct effort at the correct time, in the correct way. Almost every single professor except for one gave us everything we needed to do well in the class within the lectures, packets, and objectives. Textbooks and supplemental materials were unnecessary imo. You have a buffer of maybe one test per class where you can screw up and get a >70% and still pull it up to a reasonable 90% range in the end. You don't have to be perfect every time. Stay above an 85% and it sounds like you'll show that you can handle the rigors of med school sufficiently. Just study effectively. Don't waste time on stuff like the MCAT or primary applications while you're in here.

People come here for different reasons. One of our wonderful classmates had a hard time with the MCAT CARS section because of language difficulties, but he used his coursework to show he can handle med school. In his case, I can see why this program would be less of a barrier than retaking the MCAT. My perspective is that my only barrier to med school was how bad my undergrad GPA performance was. Most of us are here because of that. Ask yourself if you're willing and able to spend $20k and about a year of your life working hard to show that you can handle med school curricula. If a higher MCAT score will do this, realize that for $20k you can take the MCAT 0ver 60 times.

And who knows, maybe getting straight As here with a high MCAT now or later will open many more doors that would otherwise have been closed to you.

Point is, a lot of good can come from this program. But this program is demanding, and it gets really bad if you mess up or chronically underperform.

I agree.
And in regards to exercise, I pretty much had to give it up this semester. I would walk up "Harter Way" during lunch (a set of 114 stairs that go from main campus to Farragut and wilderman), so I did get some brief exercise. But this semester was so fast-paced and so memorization oriented that I didn't have time to exercise. The fall semester had a little bit more time, but I had to figure out how to study for our classes, so I spent a lot of time doing that for the beginning of the semester. Some of the people I talked to who do spend a decent amount of time exercising gave up their sleep to do so, which I wasn't willing to do. It's been really nice now that we are done with classes. I'm definitely still busy, but I've been able to go on a few hikes

Better offers came my way. I'm declining.

Where'd you decide to go?
Interviewed at westernU MSMS and Nova. Very confident of my chances there. Also accepted to UPenn if for whatever reason they don't accept me (but honestly I'm not worried). Also applied to vcom and pretty sure I'll get accepted there. Of everything I've interviewed/been accepted to this one seems least likely to get me into med school.

Interviewed at westernU MSMS and Nova. Very confident of my chances there. Also accepted to UPenn if for whatever reason they don't accept me (but honestly I'm not worried). Also applied to vcom and pretty sure I'll get accepted there. Of everything I've interviewed/been accepted to this one seems least likely to get me into med school.

Ah ok, that's cool. I'm deciding between Touro, VCOM and Rutgers pistacaway myself. They all have benefits/cons, and I don't really know where to go.

Last edited:
how long does it take for them to make a decision?

i applied around march 16th but hasn't gotten a response back. Im scared that it means i didn't get in. They say that id take approx 3 weeks

i applied around march 16th but hasn't gotten a response back. Im scared that it means i didn't get in. They say that id take approx 3 weeks
Doesn't hurt to do a followup email and check your status. Also, I've found that sometimes touro email addresses get stuck in spam, too

I applied about the same time you did and sent in a follow email to Naisha about a week ago...

"Hi-

Thank you to applying to our program. We receive hundreds of applications that we have to process. Once yours is you will be notified. "

I feel like they do it in batches when they have free time. Hopefully they send out more acceptances soon.

I applied March 14th and just got an email notification stating that I was accepted. Super excited, good luck to all those applying as well !

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied back in February and just got email notification that I am accepted. I have been accepted into LECOM's postbac as well so now will be deciding between the two. If I do not take Touro's, I hope it goes to one of you deserving people!

I just received an email from Naisha saying my application has been "received" and is just now being sent to the committee for review.
Must be super busy over there. I feel like i should've gotten this email a while back, soon after I submitted. Anyone else get this response?

Can someone give me the link to the website to pay? I will be out of the country tomorrow and still have not received the acceptance letter, but got the acceptance email!

Can someone give me the link to the website to pay? I will be out of the country tomorrow and still have not received the acceptance letter, but got the acceptance email!
For the deposit? Here's a link to the instructions. I think you'll have to create a TouroOne account to do it https://touro.app.box.com/s/yq67jrqs6y2f6kyoh7f6m4m18aws4h1n

I think you should have a couple of weeks to pay the deposit after you're accepted though

Last edited:
@Cal_EMT @Gizmo11 @discountseafood1
^First off, shoutout to these fellas/ladies. You have done a great job of providing great insight. Thank you!

I've just recently been admitted to this program and had a few questions that I was hoping some of the seasoned veterans could answer.

1) Where are you as far as acceptance to TUCOM? Other medical schools? Have students historically been accepted to osteopathic schools, or do some get interviews/acceptances from allopathic schools as well? Are students mostly accepted to schools in CA or a mixed bag of here and there?

2) Some of you have discussed the difficulty of the program. You guys are not the first. It has been repeated all over SDN. I'm sure it's what is causing hesitation for some. I am curious as to how many of you and your classmates have a 3.5+ GPA (PM if you feel thats more comfortable). "Difficulty" is hard to gauge without numbers. I'm sure many of you have put in the nitty gritty, but I'm curious to see how many people in the program have been successful. What percentage of students would you say score below a 3.5 GPA? Do the majority of students end up in medical school?

3) What are some things you wish you knew before entering the program? What are some keys to success that you have learned? Are there professors or advisors you feel are great resources that we should connect with?

4) Since you are close to finishing your program, do you recommend this program? What would you have done differently if you do not.

Thank you again.