TomTom / other GPS apps for iPhone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get the iPhone but I heard the GPS function on it requires a cell connection. I use my current GPS to navigate to 911 calls and there are many regions that have no cellular service. Has anyone heard of any apps coming out for the iPhone that I can link up to my bluetooth GPS receiver?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not clear at this point. TomTom has said they have their software running on the iPhone, but haven't announced a release date. You wouldn't want to use the Google Maps on the iPhone for 911 response because it doesn't have turn-by-turn directions.

Around the time of the 3G's release, there were rumors that the GPS in it wasn't accurate enough for real-time directions (false) and that the iPhone SDK didn't contractually allow the use of GPS for real-time navigation (this probably only referred to Google Maps, but it's not totally clear). I'm sure that any navigation software for it will use the built-in GPS and not any bluetooth devices, though.

If your current GPS works for you, why do you need to use the iPhone for navigation?

Oh, that sucks. Well, I do love my iPhone (on which I'm typing this right now at Borders) but if you get one you may be without navigation for a bit.

It can still generate directions for you, and tell you where you are, but it's not (yet) a replacement for a standalone GPS (or knowing your district :p).