So how many others became Paramedics before Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I start in a little more than a month, and I literally just got my P-card from the state. I'd love to work as a medic during med school, but it's probably not realistic. Anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Worked for a few years before med school, plan to work as an internist and intensivist. I know a couple other paramedics who went the same route.

Reactions: 1 user
Just started medic class :) I have been a EMT-B for almost 5 years in a 911 service. I am leaning towards anesthesia or cardiology as I have really enjoyed each of those while shadowing.

I am hoping to apply to medical school neat year! I can't wait to gain more knowledge and learn new skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I start in a little more than a month, and I literally just got my P-card from the state. I'd love to work as a medic during med school, but it's probably not realistic. Anyone have any insight?

One of my buddies just finished his second year of residency for family medicine - one more to go. He's been a paramedic for a little more than 10 years, worked part-time (maybe 2-3 times a month) for our local 911 service. He still has his national registry and is a physician now. He said it wasn't too hard to work really part-time. Obviously didn't make enough money to pay for his living expenses, but every dollar helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Do any former medics still carry their national registry? Or did/will you let it lapse? I hope to work a shift or so every now and then. I would like to keep my national registry as long as possible!

You can also recert by using college courses (science ones). Shouldn't be too hard to maintain your NR.

Reactions: 1 user
I am 5 months away from taking registry! WOOHOO!

Are there any docs here who are medical directors (and were former paramedics) but are in a specialty other than EM? What are the benefits/drawbacks of not being in EM?