Making a droid app for ems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawsonc

Career Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not an overly technical individual, however, I do enjoy technology and am always trying to figure out better ways to use it. This may be old news for some of you, but I have found a new way to utilize my phone for EMS work.

I have Epocrates, Medscape, ERG (updated 2008), the Anesthesiologist app (general RSI dosages, verified with protocols and common literature), to name a few. What I didn't have, was my current county protocols.

So off I went on an adventure to see how hard it really is to program my own application. Google have their own android programing app, but it seemed difficult to use and time consuming.

So instead, I have used appsgeyser.com. Basically it is an app manufacture that is able to resize existing URLs and turn them into downloadable applications. In reality it is no different then opening the browser and looking for the URL of said counties protocols. What is different, is how it allows you to have it saved in a resized format, ready to go as an application, instead of having to search for it each and every time.

It has been really helpful for me, and nice to know I have access to all my protocols for quick reference only a click away.

Hope it helps.

Members don't see this ad.

My department just recently came out with a protocols app for iOS. I've only played with it briefly, but it's very cool. The tech guy is currently working on a version for Droid.

We've been testing iPads on all of our frontline rigs for a few months, and we definitely have made good use of them with some of the fire/ems apps out there. I think the apps can be a great resource for providers, just as long as we ensure that everyone stays up on their clinical knowledge (we shouldn't be relying on it too much). Also, these devices tend to lose charge or break without warning, so it's good to still carry a hard copy.

Very useful for quick reference and studying, though. :thumbup: