****tmdsas 2010****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many people out there are still waiting on UTDB???? I'm So Worried :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone hear any news from UTDB lately? I asked Dr. P a couple of weeks ago and he said there were still a few seats available.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to say good luck to those that are still waiting to hear back from UTDB :xf:

In the interest of increasing information, UTDB sent an email of acceptance to me yesterday at 2:58pm.

I can to no end express how much of a relief this is...

I completely empathize with all the souls out there that are still being tormented with the wait. I learned a long time ago there's no sense in getting riled up every time a bunch of idiots try to give you a hard time. In the end, the universe tends to unfold as it should...

To give people a reference point:

GPA: 3.49
Sci: 3.42

DAT
AA - 23
TS - 22
PA - 20
RC - 30
QR - 18

Shadowed various dentists - no long term hours

Really late interview in February

Don't be fooled. As everyone knows I'm sure, a DAT score is not by any means a life saver (though it was fun ravaging the RC)... I applied to 10 out of state's as well and only got one interview and no acceptances. Interviewed at UTHSCSA and UTDB, rejected from Baylor

Let me know if any other info would help. Sometimes it just feels like this whole process is a big crap shoot for some of us, I know.

In the interest of increasing information, UTDB sent an email of acceptance to me yesterday at 2:58pm.

I completely empathize with all the souls out there that are still being tormented with the wait. I learned a long time ago there's no sense in getting riled up every time a bunch of idiots try to give you a hard time. In the end, the universe tends to unfold as it should...

DAT
AA - 23
TS - 22
PA - 20
RC - 30
QR - 18

Don't be fooled. As everyone knows I'm sure, a DAT score is not by any means a life saver (though it was fun ravaging the RC)... I applied to 10 out of state's as well and only got one interview and no acceptances. Interviewed at UTHSCSA and UTDB, rejected from Baylor

Let me know if any other info would help. Sometimes it just feels like this whole process is a big crap shoot for some of us, I know.

WOW Congrats Jeff!!!!!!!

In the end, the universe tends to unfold as it should...
GPA: 3.49 Sci: 3.42
DAT AA - 23 TS - 22 PA - 20 RC - 30 QR - 18

In the end, it does appear that the 23 did realign your universe.

Last edited:

DAT
AA - 23
TS - 22
PA - 20
RC - 30
QR - 18

Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations!

Did any of you guys apply to UTHSCSA 's B.S. in Dental Laboratory Science? I got an email from San Antonio about this a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking of either doing this or taking some upper division science classes at my local university. The thing is I'm not sure if this program will help my application or not because the curriculum is not really Biology/Chemistry class based and more focused on dental laboratory skills.

Hopefully I still get into UTDB but I need a backup plan just in case.

Hey guys I've been a lingerer who gets on here and reads about once every 6 weeks and this topic came up so I thought I would chime in.

I was accepted to this program in August 09 and I applied in June 09. There are only 15 students in my class and the program is young in its 3rd year. It is a pretty solid program. It can be a great option for some, while others might prefer to take more science oriented classes.

The current years program only takes up about half a week, so a part time job or taking science classes at UTSA or another institution are an option.

The strengths of the program are as follows in no particular order.

In the fall we took a class that second year dental students were taking with us at the same time. It was Evidence Based Dentistry. It was pretty cool to sit in with them and a great class.

You have the opportunity to interact with various dental students and professors in the dental school. If you throw yourself out there you can land a research position or help out certain professors that are really good to know.

The program is split between lab work and classroom. The classroom will teach you a lot about business. I already had a business minor. But think about some dentists who are great at being a dentist but don't understand the in-and-outs of running a company. That is exactly what dentists do unless you work for a chain dental office. We go over finance, marketing, advertising, OSHA, FDA compliance, and some management. This are not business heavy with math and equations. It is a lot of discussion. In lab we have made crowns (alloy), dentures, porcelain bonded to metal crowns and become familiar with pouring models, waxing, etc...

I enjoy the business stuff in the classroom more than the lab, but that's just me. This is NOT a program to prepare someone for a lab technician to go work in a dental lab. Every student in my class aspires to go to dental school. The lab procedures we go over are stuff that you will do in any dental school- mostly in your second year.

It is a 120 hour program and most people already came in with one BS from undergrad. That was my case. I transferred in with 90 hours and only took 30 that are completely lab/ business related. Some people from private schools have to take one history class or one business class on the side because they weren't required for their first degree from their previous institution.

The program is one year long. When you start the program, people are already getting interviews from dental schools and your program has just started. You have not completed it yet, nor do you have the accompanying degree. For this reason it is not very common to finish this program in the summer, and attend dental school in August. It is possible, and one person has done it. A few other people are still waiting to hear. But, once you DO have the degree and then you reapply to TMDSAS for the next cycle, there has been a really good acceptance rate with these scenarios from the years before me. It just kinda takes an extra year because of the timing of when this program starts and ends and the TMDSAS cycle. The schools in Texas are vaguely familiar with the program, but to date only 30-40 people have graduated from this prorgam, so it is still not well known yet.

The professors are awesome. They really love what they do. I have made great relationships and hope to get good LOR. While some of you may view being delayed entrance for a year as a negative, I can absolutely guarantee that you will be a huge leg up when you start to do lab stuff in the actual four year dental school we all strive to get in. You will be the first to finish your projects and they will be done very well.

Some people also thought that this would give an inside help with UTHSCSA dental school. This is not the case. It can be this way if you go beyond the program and meet professors in the dental school. But this programs goal is to "place students in dental schools" all around Texas and the nation for that matter. There is no special agreement where UTHSCSA gives you a special look.

Everyone of us on here who has reapplied (myself included) is most likely not in yet because of a certain weakness. Figure out what that weakness is and don't forget to address it in your off year. For some this program can help your weakness. Good grades can be obtained. They are not out to fail anybody, and actually don't want to give anyone a "C" either. This can raise your GPA, but also keep in mind if you already have over 100 hours your GPA doesn't move much, even if you get a 4.0 in this program. Some schools also look at your most recent 30 hours, or 45 hours, your GPA obtained can make a positive impact here.

In summary, if you are looking for the quickest fix to get into dental school this may not be your answer. But it does help, for some it takes an extra year, and all who graduate from this program will find a good portion of dental school a breeze.

Anyways I hope this helps you guys. I am open to answer any other questions you have as well. I didn't fully know what the program was getting into it, but knowing what I know now, if I had it to do over again, I would do the program.

A side note about me: I interviewed only at Baylor back in November, and have yet to hear anything yet. I'm hoping to make the alternate list, if there is one.

Best of luck

To TexanGal:

Without filtering through all 22 pages of content: can you briefly describe your best knowledge of the Baylor situation?

My understanding is that they have a full class and don't even know if an alternate list will be created. If it is... are we supposed to hear late April? May? Do you know if we will receive the rank of the alternate list?

I contact them myself, and try not to do it too much as to get on their nerves, and their answer seems to change every time.

I am still holding out, but the way the situation is currently going I am preparing for other plans for August. If I get accepted I can easily accept, and move up there. It's not that I have a bad outlook, I just think it's better to have a plan and be prepared than the other way around.

To TexanGal:

Without filtering through all 22 pages of content: can you briefly describe your best knowledge of the Baylor situation?

My understanding is that they have a full class and don't even know if an alternate list will be created. If it is... are we supposed to hear late April? May? Do you know if we will receive the rank of the alternate list?

I contact them myself, and try not to do it too much as to get on their nerves, and their answer seems to change every time.

I am still holding out, but the way the situation is currently going I am preparing for other plans for August. If I get accepted I can easily accept, and move up there. It's not that I have a bad outlook, I just think it's better to have a plan and be prepared than the other way around.

Hey there. :)

To be honest, I don't know much more than you know. Every time I contact them I get a different answer as well. At first, the alternate list was to be created at the end of March with about 20-25 people on it. Recently, I was told by Ms. Pledger that if there was to be an alternate list, it would be done late April.

I know that back in January they had a "full class", but I'm pretty sure there are people who would have put deposits down that were holding out for UTHSCSA or UTDB... so there HAS to be a few spots - right? It's impossible that there are absolutely no spots whatsoever! Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking? What do y'all think?

Anyway... I wish all of you who are on the same boat as me good luck. I'm already prepping to take the DATs again in early May... recently found a job and I'm just going to reapply with hopefully better stats and better luck!

Good luck to all of you still waiting, and congratulations to those who have heard back recently - very happy and slightly jealous of you all :)

Hey there. :)

To be honest, I don't know much more than you know. Every time I contact them I get a different answer as well. At first, the alternate list was to be created at the end of March with about 20-25 people on it. Recently, I was told by Ms. Pledger that if there was to be an alternate list, it would be done late April.

I know that back in January they had a "full class", but I'm pretty sure there are people who would have put deposits down that were holding out for UTHSCSA or UTDB... so there HAS to be a few spots - right? It's impossible that there are absolutely no spots whatsoever! Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking? What do y'all think?

Anyway... I wish all of you who are on the same boat as me good luck. I'm already prepping to take the DATs again in early May... recently found a job and I'm just going to reapply with hopefully better stats and better luck!

Good luck to all of you still waiting, and congratulations to those who have heard back recently - very happy and slightly jealous of you all :)

Don't forget that back in December Baylor was talking about a second round going out in January. That changed to a waitlist in March and has now morphed into a "possible" waitlist at the end of April. That would lead me to believe that not very many people are giving up their spots.

I came across this report the other day. (I know, I'm a dork)

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/2010 TAAHP Statistics.pdf

4th page shows that Baylor sent out 115 acceptances on December 1st. I just don't understand how they could still be full when I can find like 4 or 5 people just ON PREDENTS that got accepted to Baylor but are going elsewhere! Maybe people are sitting on multiple deposits...

This whole cycle has just been such a beating. Congrats to everyone that has gotten acceptances!

Don't forget that back in December Baylor was talking about a second round going out in January. That changed to a waitlist in March and has now morphed into a "possible" waitlist at the end of April. That would lead me to believe that not very many people are giving up their spots.

I came across this report the other day. (I know, I'm a dork)

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/2010%20TAAHP%20Statistics.pdf

4th page shows that Baylor sent out 115 acceptances on December 1st. I just don't understand how they could still be full when I can find like 4 or 5 people just ON PREDENTS that got accepted to Baylor but are going elsewhere! Maybe people are sitting on multiple deposits...

This whole cycle has just been such a beating. Congrats to everyone that has gotten acceptances!

I can't get the URL to work. When I try and browse TMDSAS to look myself, I only find stats posted for 2009 and older.

I try to be as positive as possible, but if what you say is true, I can still believe there arent any spots. I heard they are taking 104 tops. They send out a few extra because they have never had a 100% acceptance rate and they still want to snatch up the first picks before Houston or San Antonio does. Well San Antonio sends out more acceptances than spots available on Dec. 1 and they said the other schools do the same. My guess would be instead of only getting the roughly 80 acceptances they usually do, somehow out of 115 they got all ~104. So maybe the people from PREDENT gave up their spots to people 105-115. If they truly do have 115 I think they have a problem on their hands because from everything I've heard that's over capacity.

At any rate I hope you're right lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't get the URL to work. When I try and browse TMDSAS to look myself, I only find stats posted for 2009 and older.

I try to be as positive as possible, but if what you say is true, I can still believe there arent any spots. I heard they are taking 104 tops. They send out a few extra because they have never had a 100% acceptance rate and they still want to snatch up the first picks before Houston or San Antonio does. Well San Antonio sends out more acceptances than spots available on Dec. 1 and they said the other schools do the same. My guess would be instead of only getting the roughly 80 acceptances they usually do, somehow out of 115 they got all ~104. So maybe the people from PREDENT gave up their spots to people 105-115. If they truly do have 115 I think they have a problem on their hands because from everything I've heard that's over capacity.

At any rate I hope you're right lol

I don't know what the exact situation is right now, but I can say that enough people dropped acceptances that they did have at least an acceptance or two by April, so I would think they aren't at the point where they are overbooked anymore.

I would assume that they are probably still full enough that they really haven't had to form a waitlist, which is probably why the date when the waitlist was going to be made has changed.

So is it time that we can consider game over and start collecting material for next application cycle?

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in a while, mainly because I was just exhausted from this whole process. Although I didn't get into a Texas school, I was recently accepted at an OOS school. Just letting you all know that don't give up and follow your dreams.

For all the new kiddos applying for the next cycle. For some of you, it will be sweet and short... for others it will be VERY LONG. My app and scores were sent out last summer in July... and it took until late April to receive my first acceptance. Anyways, if I can do it... ANYONE can do it!

Also, thanks to all the pre-dents that helped me out on this site. Your advice and tips helped tremendously. Good luck everyone and keep trying!

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in a while, mainly because I was just exhausted from this whole process. Although I didn't get into a Texas school, I was recently accepted at an OOS school. Just letting you all know that don't give up and follow your dreams.

For all the new kiddos applying for the next cycle. For some of you, it will be sweet and short... for others it will be VERY LONG. My app and scores were sent out last summer in July... and it took until late April to receive my first acceptance. Anyways, if I can do it... ANYONE can do it!

Also, thanks to all the pre-dents that helped me out on this site. Your advice and tips helped tremendously. Good luck everyone and keep trying!

Congrats on getting in! Which school did you get in to?

Hey guys I've been a lingerer who gets on here and reads about once every 6 weeks and this topic came up so I thought I would chime in.

I was accepted to this program in August 09 and I applied in June 09. There are only 15 students in my class and the program is young in its 3rd year. It is a pretty solid program. It can be a great option for some, while others might prefer to take more science oriented classes.

The current years program only takes up about half a week, so a part time job or taking science classes at UTSA or another institution are an option.

The strengths of the program are as follows in no particular order.

In the fall we took a class that second year dental students were taking with us at the same time. It was Evidence Based Dentistry. It was pretty cool to sit in with them and a great class.

You have the opportunity to interact with various dental students and professors in the dental school. If you throw yourself out there you can land a research position or help out certain professors that are really good to know.

The program is split between lab work and classroom. The classroom will teach you a lot about business. I already had a business minor. But think about some dentists who are great at being a dentist but don't understand the in-and-outs of running a company. That is exactly what dentists do unless you work for a chain dental office. We go over finance, marketing, advertising, OSHA, FDA compliance, and some management. This are not business heavy with math and equations. It is a lot of discussion. In lab we have made crowns (alloy), dentures, porcelain bonded to metal crowns and become familiar with pouring models, waxing, etc...

I enjoy the business stuff in the classroom more than the lab, but that's just me. This is NOT a program to prepare someone for a lab technician to go work in a dental lab. Every student in my class aspires to go to dental school. The lab procedures we go over are stuff that you will do in any dental school- mostly in your second year.

It is a 120 hour program and most people already came in with one BS from undergrad. That was my case. I transferred in with 90 hours and only took 30 that are completely lab/ business related. Some people from private schools have to take one history class or one business class on the side because they weren't required for their first degree from their previous institution.

The program is one year long. When you start the program, people are already getting interviews from dental schools and your program has just started. You have not completed it yet, nor do you have the accompanying degree. For this reason it is not very common to finish this program in the summer, and attend dental school in August. It is possible, and one person has done it. A few other people are still waiting to hear. But, once you DO have the degree and then you reapply to TMDSAS for the next cycle, there has been a really good acceptance rate with these scenarios from the years before me. It just kinda takes an extra year because of the timing of when this program starts and ends and the TMDSAS cycle. The schools in Texas are vaguely familiar with the program, but to date only 30-40 people have graduated from this prorgam, so it is still not well known yet.

The professors are awesome. They really love what they do. I have made great relationships and hope to get good LOR. While some of you may view being delayed entrance for a year as a negative, I can absolutely guarantee that you will be a huge leg up when you start to do lab stuff in the actual four year dental school we all strive to get in. You will be the first to finish your projects and they will be done very well.

Some people also thought that this would give an inside help with UTHSCSA dental school. This is not the case. It can be this way if you go beyond the program and meet professors in the dental school. But this programs goal is to "place students in dental schools" all around Texas and the nation for that matter. There is no special agreement where UTHSCSA gives you a special look.

Everyone of us on here who has reapplied (myself included) is most likely not in yet because of a certain weakness. Figure out what that weakness is and don't forget to address it in your off year. For some this program can help your weakness. Good grades can be obtained. They are not out to fail anybody, and actually don't want to give anyone a "C" either. This can raise your GPA, but also keep in mind if you already have over 100 hours your GPA doesn't move much, even if you get a 4.0 in this program. Some schools also look at your most recent 30 hours, or 45 hours, your GPA obtained can make a positive impact here.

In summary, if you are looking for the quickest fix to get into dental school this may not be your answer. But it does help, for some it takes an extra year, and all who graduate from this program will find a good portion of dental school a breeze.

Anyways I hope this helps you guys. I am open to answer any other questions you have as well. I didn't fully know what the program was getting into it, but knowing what I know now, if I had it to do over again, I would do the program.

A side note about me: I interviewed only at Baylor back in November, and have yet to hear anything yet. I'm hoping to make the alternate list, if there is one.

Best of luck
I graduated from Ut austin 09 with a sc gpa of 3.0 and total of 3.3. Dat 19.4. I did not get into any of the texas /out of state schools. Currently enrolled in a post bac biomedical science certification at utd . It is basically doing upper division course work as you can see i need to strengthen my gpa. I do not intend takingthe dat again as baylor told me to work on my gpa.
Theprogram you are talking about sounds interesting but is it a guarantee to dental school . Right now it is convenient for me to stay home and drive to utd and I also work at a dental office two times a week. Is it worth moving to san antonio giving up my work and incurring more expenses( accomadation).
I have also applied to the master program at Boston University and should know my status in a couple of weeks.
Give me your advice. How much is it recognised by Baylor and out of state schools .
Thanks

FYI, Baylor sent out a letter regarding those for the wait list. This was sent out on Monday.

Best of luck everyone! :)

Wow, really? Did you get one?

I guess I didn't...

I called and talked to Admissions, and she told me my letter was mailed out Monday. I live in the Dallas area, so I should be receiving it probably today or tomorrow. You can call and check to see if one was sent out!!!

I called and talked to Admissions, and she told me my letter was mailed out Monday. I live in the Dallas area, so I should be receiving it probably today or tomorrow. You can call and check to see if one was sent out!!!

Congrats!!!

Oh boy. Congrats. I'm way too nervous to call. Plus, xlonghornsx, you and I are from the same school and have similar stats... lol doubt they'd take 2 clones on the waitlist :(
Crossing my fingers anyway.

Good luck Alan!

I'm waitlisted too!!!

Feels good to at least get some sort of news from them!

Had my wife go check the mail and there it was! I DO live like 10 minutes away from Baylor though so if you live farther, it will probably come later.

Good luck if you're waiting on news from them!

Congrats Alan! :)

And TexanGal, I'm sure there's plenty of people on the waitlist so don't fret it. Who knows...maybe all three of us from UTA will get in!

omg congrats guys! i saw val's status earlier today at work and i was curious to know if it was about the baby or you, alan!

i just went to check the mail, nothing. hopefully i got one too, but i do live further. i'm totally calling tomorrow.

thanks for the info guys. and congrats again.:)

Congrats Alan! :)

And TexanGal, I'm sure there's plenty of people on the waitlist so don't fret it. Who knows...maybe all three of us from UTA will get in!

Haha, looks like they love us UTA folk! I'm waitlisted as well. Dun dun dun.

Finally. At least that's something.

Psssst. I have a little bit of insider information on UTHSCSA.

Apparently they have a good number of spots left. There's still hope y'all.

omg congrats on being waitlisted at baylor. i hope some of us hear some good news from uthscsa soon :oops:

i'm totally calling baylor tomorrow! i always feel like such a bother when i call the schools.

thanks for keeping us updated.

There are some people who were in my class that got acceptances from Houston like a week ago. Some of them decided to go to Houston :)

Good luck everyone!

omg congrats on being waitlisted at baylor. i hope some of us hear some good news from uthscsa soon :oops:

i'm totally calling baylor tomorrow! i always feel like such a bother when i call the schools.

thanks for keeping us updated.

Wishing you best of luck! And if anyone should feel like a bother, it should be me. I've called twice during these past 2 weeks, and I need to call again to ask about sending final transcripts. So I think you should be fine ;)

and TexanGal, congrats as well! Thanks for the update on UTHSCSA!

Last edited:
I have been wait listed at Baylor too! Gosh I wonder how many spots will be open.

I also received the waitlist letter. I'm hoping they didn't send this out to everyone that interviewed. Anyways, when are you all sending out your final transcripts? I won't be able to until mid july.

guess who else got waitlisted!!! :)

I asked for my position on the list,but I was told that won't be released. But there are only 25 people on the list, so lets hope for 25 people to get accepted else where and drop!

guess who else got waitlisted!!! :)

I asked for my position on the list,but I was told that won't be released. But there are only 25 people on the list, so lets hope for 25 people to get accepted else where and drop!

Saweeet!

So there's really only 25 people on the list? You would have thought with all us SDNers getting waitlisted that it would be more... But to be honest, I was surprised more of us didn't get in on Dec. 1st so it kind of makes sense.

And is the waitlist ranked? I've heard that some waitlists are ranked and some aren't. Not sure how that all works.

You are talking about the Baylor dental program right? not the post bacc program? I've been waitlisted for awhile now.

na im from texas. I've actually been waitlisted for both the post bacc and the dental school program

Congrats to all you guys. That is most definitely some exciting news!

Does anyone know if Baylor sent out any sort of rejection at the same time, or are they going to make those people wait until August??

My mail doesn't come til 4:00 this afternoon and I live in San Antonio...

"Stomach in knots" doesn't begin to describe the feeling of wondering if a) the mail takes longer to get here or if b) that i'm not on the waitlist this time around.

Don't remember the last time I felt anywhere remotely near the way I do now with this anxiousness.

Congrats again guys.

Keeping fingers crossed.

na im from texas. I've actually been waitlisted for both the post bacc and the dental school program

Hmm, that's weird. We're talking about the dental school program. When were you waitlisted?

How did you find out that UTHSCSA had a good amount of spots open? I haven't heard anything from UTSHSCSA or UTDB, anyone know how they send out rejections?

I've felt so hesitant to work on reapplying since it's not "officially" over yet.... but I guess that just because I'm hoping for a miracle.

I also received the waitlist letter. I'm hoping they didn't send this out to everyone that interviewed. Anyways, when are you all sending out your final transcripts? I won't be able to until mid july.

How is that supposed to work out with the transcripts thing? I graduate in a few weeks, but my final transcripts/degree conferral won't be ready until mid-June. I'm guessing they will review our final transcripts, perhaps? I was hoping to somehow send them this semester's grades ASAP :/

And wow, kinda surprising there's only 25 when it seems as if everyone on here has been wait listed lol.