****tmdsas 2010****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Solstice, are you replying back to the email address that they sent the acceptance from? Let me know if they respond back to you to confirm your withdrawal. I have yet to hear back from them.

Hey Astro1fan,
I got email confirmation from any school that I emailed and withdrew. As per UTHSCSA, I will wait to receive the letter of intent and mark my withdrawal there and mail it. I guess I follow up with them as well to make sure they got it, but I suspect that they will email me themselves. Not sure.

EDIT:
Just a Q. Does anyone know when TEXAS schools offer their scholarship? Just came to think maybe by withdrawing to early I may close my eyes on a school that may have offered me scholarship. Just a thought...

Last edited:
Anyone know when rejection letters are sent out for those who have interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT:
Just a Q. Does anyone know when TEXAS schools offer their scholarship? Just came to think maybe by withdrawing to early I may close my eyes on a school that may have offered me scholarship. Just a thought...[/QUOTE]

San Antonio tells you if you received a scholarship with your acceptance letter. At least that's how they did it Dec. 1st. Don't know if its any different now. Houston, from what I gather, informs you later on in the process. I'm guessing in the next few months. Baylor I don't know, but if anyone one would like to let us know that would be great!

EDIT:
Just a Q. Does anyone know when TEXAS schools offer their scholarship? Just came to think maybe by withdrawing to early I may close my eyes on a school that may have offered me scholarship. Just a thought...

San Antonio tells you if you received a scholarship with your acceptance letter. At least that's how they did it Dec. 1st. Don't know if its any different now. Houston, from what I gather, informs you later on in the process. I'm guessing in the next few months. Baylor I don't know, but if anyone one would like to let us know that would be great![/QUOTE]

I see!
Thank you. I have not receive the material in the mail yet.
Does any one know how much the Scholarship would be for UTHSCSA and UTDB?

Just talked to UTHSCSA, and they said that 3rd round of acceptances have already gone out. Once they receive the forms back from those that have been accepted by March 17th, they will decide if more acceptances will be sent out.

Houston where are you I love you :(

Does anyone know approximately how many spots are left at Houston and SA?

Members don't see this ad :)
No email from Houston. :(

i dont have the strength and money to go through all this fourth time. I feel so down.

No email from Houston. :(

i dont have the strength and money to go through all this fourth time. I feel so down.
Don't give up yet... a couple of seats are still available....

Although I don't know your entire application/profile but your stats (GPA/DAT) look good and competitive but there are many other important parts of your application that DS is always interested in as well....

Lastly, if you haven't already tried setting up a meeting with Dr P. (@UTDB) to go over your application, you might want to try that. You will porbably have to wait till the cycle is completed though !!!

Best of luck to you …..!

Don't give up yet... a couple of seats are still available....

Although I don't know your entire application/profile but your stats (GPA/DAT) look good and competitive but there are many other important parts of your application that DS is always interested in as well....

Lastly, if you haven't already tried setting up a meeting with Dr P. (@UTDB) to go over your application, you might want to try that. You will porbably have to wait till the cycle is completed though !!!

Best of luck to you …..!

I did talk to him before this cycle. I am a reapplying and he said I should aim for 21 AA and TS. I did better and still nothing.

in response to an email I sent asking about admission expectations:

"acceptance, non-acceptance, and alternate letters can be sent as late as May"

interpret as you will.

I have been waiting every single day for Houston. I just really hope and pray that I will get in. That's all I can do.

I know that's where I want to be so I'll keep trying if things don't go as planned.

I have been waiting every single day for Houston. I just really hope and pray that I will get in. That's all I can do.

I know that's where I want to be so I'll keep trying if things don't go as planned.

I feel your anxiousness. I'm waiting on SA and Houston as well. To add to that matter, I applied to Masters programs and I'm waiting for their responses.

Waiting, is horrible. I know its part of the process, but its so difficult when you don't know where you are going end up in a few short months. Dare, I say If you will end up anywhere...

But, keep some faith, keep some hope.... good things happen to people who are persistent in their goals. Be persistent, be positive, and try again.

We should not let the word "failure" keep us down.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting :)

in response to an email I sent asking about admission expectations:

"acceptance, non-acceptance, and alternate letters can be sent as late as May"

interpret as you will.

It's true. I was sent a rejection letter sometime around July/August

Any recent news from any of the schools?

I was reading last year's thread, and it seemed like a lot of people found out if they were waitlisted or not around this time.

I guess it's about that time for me to prepare to retake the DAT and reapply again :(

Any recent news from any of the schools?

I was reading last year's thread, and it seemed like a lot of people found out if they were waitlisted or not around this time.

I guess it's about that time for me to prepare to retake the DAT and reapply again :(

you can actually call Baylor and find out if you made the alternate list.
i remember calling around March/April to find out that i didn't make the alternate list last year.. and i received rejection from Baylor in September

best of luck

wow, i should call them tomorrow. i think april was around the time that maybe another round would be coming out for sa too, i remember someone mentioning that before.

good luck:oops:

wow, i should call them tomorrow. i think april was around the time that maybe another round would be coming out for sa too, i remember someone mentioning that before.

good luck:oops:

I just called. The answer I was given was the waitlist has not been made and would probably be made towards the end of April if they need it.

I just called. The answer I was given was the waitlist has not been made and would probably be made towards the end of April if they need it.

which school was this for? SA or Baylor?

I just called UTHSCA today to check the status of my dental school application. I was told they will be sending out their 4th round of acceptances to interviewers this week.

Good luck everyone!

*crosses fingers*

I just called UTHSCA today to check the status of my dental school application. I was told they will be sending out their 4th round of acceptances to interviewers this week.

Good luck everyone!

*crosses fingers*

:xf::xf::xf::xf:

thanks for calling and letting us know!

and thanks alan for calling baylor. it was weird i tried to call and couldnt get through.

:) best of luck everyone. i know this cycle has been super tough on everyone. hopefully some good news will be coming.

Good luck everyone!

*crosses fingers*

Thanks for the update! I had planning on calling them this week, but you beat me to it :) Good luck everyone!

Just heard from a friend that he got accepted to sa today, but he's rejecting the spot since he already paid a deposit to another school.

Good luck and hope ya'll got some good news today too.

Blaahhhhhhhh.

I got an acceptance from UTHSCSA yesterday. I'm going to accept them. I just wanted to let you guys know that friend (non sdn)of mine got an acceptance too, but is planning on declining them. One more spot open!

Good luck everyone! You never know, you might get good news as well!

Last edited:
I got an acceptance from UTHSCSA yesterday. I'm going to accept them. I just wanted to let you guys know that friend (non sdn)of mine got an acceptance too, but is planning on declining them. One more spot open!

Good luck everyone! You never know, you might get good news as well!

Congrats!

Has any one talked to UTDB recently. I have an Out state friend who interviewed there and even though there are little chances for him (being O.S), I was wondering how many seats are left.

To mmu4487
Was that your first offer? Or have you heard from other schools as well?

To mmu4487
Was that your first offer? Or have you heard from other schools as well?

UTHSCSA has been my first and only offer so far (it was my number one choice, so I am accepting them). I interviewed in November. I had a interview with UTDB in February. I only applied to instate schools. I never had an interview with Baylor. I hope that helps! Let me know if I can give you anymore information, it would be my pleasure to.

Last edited:
UTHSCSA has been my first and only offer so far (it was my number one choice, so I am accepting them). I interviewed in November. I had a interview with UTMB in February. I only applied to instate schools. I never had an interview with Baylor. I hope that helps! Let me know if I can give you anymore information, it would be my pleasure to.

You mean UTDB right? UTMB is the medical branch in Galveston.
I see that all the celebration champagne has gotten to you. Would be nice to have been invited though!:biglove:

You mean UTDB right? UTMB is the medical branch in Galveston.
I see that all the celebration champagne has gotten to you. Would be nice to have been invited though!:biglove:
Lol, yes i meant the dental branch! (the excitement has not worn off yet... maybe that champagne as well...!)

Oh lord you have not idea! It has been non stop celebrating with my family! Everyone is really happy!

Lol, yes i meant the dental branch! (the excitement has not worn off yet... maybe that champagne as well...!)

Oh lord you have not idea! It has been non stop celebrating with my family! Everyone is really happy!

Haha congrats!! :)

And for those who haven't heard anything yet, are y'all thinking of back up plans yet? I graduate this May, but will probably be returning back to school to take a few more science classes if I don't get in. If I remember correctly, Baylor prefers for people to continue taking classes, right? I want to do everything I can to gain acceptance next cycle :)

Haha congrats!! :)

And for those who haven't heard anything yet, are y'all thinking of back up plans yet? I graduate this May, but will probably be returning back to school to take a few more science classes if I don't get in. If I remember correctly, Baylor prefers for people to continue taking classes, right? I want to do everything I can to gain acceptance next cycle :)

I called up Baylor a few weeks ago. They said the same thing. They want you to stay in school and "show and interest in science"! They also require one new LOR (it can be from the same professor, just a new letter documenting how you have changed ect..). I have a friend who is doing a post bac certificate in biomedical science (not sure if its called that..) at UTD which basically mirrors that post bac program that baylor offers (of course with out the extra DAT stuff.. basically all the same classes). If you haven't already you should call Baylor up, they are very vocal and nice about giving you advice!

Hope that helps! Good Luck everyone!

I called up Baylor a few weeks ago. They said the same thing. They want you to stay in school and "show and interest in science"! They also require one new LOR (it can be from the same professor, just a new letter documenting how you have changed ect..). I have a friend who is doing a post bac certificate in biomedical science (not sure if its called that..) at UTD which basically mirrors that post bac program that baylor offers (of course with out the extra DAT stuff.. basically all the same classes). If you haven't already you should call Baylor up, they are very vocal and nice about giving you advice!

Hope that helps! Good Luck everyone!

That's exactly what I did and I got in this cycle. Good luck everyone...it's worth it.

Did any of you guys apply to UTHSCSA 's B.S. in Dental Laboratory Science? I got an email from San Antonio about this a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking of either doing this or taking some upper division science classes at my local university. The thing is I'm not sure if this program will help my application or not because the curriculum is not really Biology/Chemistry class based and more focused on dental laboratory skills.

Hopefully I still get into UTDB but I need a backup plan just in case.

Did any of you guys apply to UTHSCSA 's B.S. in Dental Laboratory Science? I got an email from San Antonio about this a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking of either doing this or taking some upper division science classes at my local university. The thing is I'm not sure if this program will help my application or not because the curriculum is not really Biology/Chemistry class based and more focused on dental laboratory skills.

Hopefully I still get into UTDB but I need a backup plan just in case.

I applied to that program as well (the deadline is in the summer), but on further consideration i decided if i got accepted i would not go. I think you are smart to notice that its not "science intensive" (that is what i realized as well). I think dental schools would appreciate it more if you took upper division biology courses, retake the DAT, and continue shadowing and volunteering. I was headed to texas tech to do a masters in molecular pathology before i got my acceptance. I think doing a laboratory science degree could help you dental school. You would develop amazing hand skills etc, but it may not help you during the admissions process. From the feedback i have gotten, the ADCOMs want students to be strong in the core sciences.

Last edited:
To mmu4487
If you dont mind me asking what is you GPA and DAT? I got a job at a dental clinic and i will take courses in the fall to please Baylor. My GPA is 3.85 and i really think its annoying to have to continue to take courses at community college to show to schools that your study skills are still up to date.

To mmu4487
If you dont mind me asking what is you GPA and DAT? I got a job at a dental clinic and i will take courses in the fall to please Baylor. My GPA is 3.85 and i really think its annoying to have to continue to take courses at community college to show to schools that your study skills are still up to date.

I don't mind sharing, especially if it will help my fellow peers. Its a little shocking because I don't have amazing "numbers".

My science gpa is 3.48 and my cumulative gpa is a 3.78 (I did a lot of upper division bios and chemistry I have biochem 1 and 2, immunology, embryology, AP 1 and 2, and 3 advanced genetics classes). I did undergraduate research and I was a microbiology TA for a year.

DAT scores: AA 19, TS 20, PAT 15, RC 21, BIO 23, QR 14, GC 18, OC 19.

I have really low PAT and QR scores obviously. I have a lot of community service (mostly social service work not directly related to dentistry but referral agencies that give information on how to access dental care) and a lot of dental experience (250 plus hours with my mentor of 7 yrs, she wrote me a strong LOR; and work in community dental clinics). I'm not an older applicant either, I graduated in December 08 and I'm only 22.

At San Antonio i got compliments on my writing ability (my ps and optional essays were strong- i am a good creative writer, i used to write for my colleges newspaper). I generally interview really well, I'm used to talking to strangers bc my work in social service.

That is really it in a nutshell. Except after i graduated i continued to stay in school, taking one or two classes per semester and volunteering while applying.

I really hopes this helps everyone. I'm not crazy about my "numbers" but i worked really hard at my degree, i feel I'm deserving.

Good luck everyone!