TMDSAS 2007: Advise and Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know how much the deposit is for SA? and when they will send us the paperwork telling us to deposit $$?

SA does'nt require a deposit! Houston requires a $30 (half refundable) and Baylor a $200.

Members don't see this ad.

So I take it nothing new for a week?

So I take it nothing new for a week?

Seems like it will be dead for a while and now that SA and Houston have their own threads, we won't hear much from them....

Can't wait for more letters to go out and hear about decisions being made! Gave up my spot at SA officially this week!

Anyone else been stalking people on facebook/myspace looking for future classmates? I'm guilty...:oops: :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Just been invited to interview in San Antonio on Jan 8th. Do I still have real chances of getting in, aka is the class almost full? Also, never been to San Antonio- how is the city (I'm a city girl). thanks!

Just been invited to interview in San Antonio on Jan 8th. Do I still have real chances of getting in, aka is the class almost full? Also, never been to San Antonio- how is the city (I'm a city girl). thanks!

no im not, i applied as an out of state

Can't really say much about your chances...an interview is always a good sign...I like to think of SA as a big city without a big city feel. The Riverwalk is great, the city has lots to do. The school's really more in the 'burbs in the medical center. My anti-big city husband had his vote set on SA over Houston or Dallas because it's more like Austin. There's my .02.

Can any of my future Baylor classmates help me out? I've lost my letter of acceptance, but I need to send in my deposit. I'm pretty sure the letter said a $200 deposit, but do I also need to send in a formal letter? And, do I make the check out to Baylor College of Dentistry? I tried calling the office, but they're out until Jan. 3rd.
Thanks in advance.

just wondering if anyone has heard anything recently from Houston or SA? (those that didn't get a letter in the first round)

First rounds have to let San Antonio know by January 8th, Houston by January 12th, and Baylor by January 15th. So I would imagine that second round letters would start going out within the week of these dates. GOOD LUCK!

Can any of my future Baylor classmates help me out? I've lost my letter of acceptance, but I need to send in my deposit. I'm pretty sure the letter said a $200 deposit, but do I also need to send in a formal letter? And, do I make the check out to Baylor College of Dentistry? I tried calling the office, but they're out until Jan. 3rd.
Thanks in advance.
Yes to all of the above! They'll send you a receipt and letter in the mail once they get it. Congrats and Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's official. I will be attending San Antonio for the next four years! Good luck to everyone finalizing their decisions and to those who are awaiting the good news.

So is this the current listing:
Accepted
Baylor: aggie-master, aggie.teacher, tamubeast, toothfairy85, Pelotari, Claude
San Antonio: aggie.teacher!!!, Tux, toothfairy85, dippedindettol, DDeStiny, itsall3324453!, Procrastinate, aggie-master, Claude
Houston: aggie-master, DDeStiny, Pelotari, ElliotMX884, Ex_EE, itsall3324453!, toothfairy85, aggie.teacher, Csdental, Tux, Claude

Attending
Baylor: tamubeast, aggie.teacher

San Antonio: Procrastinate, aggie-master, dippedindettol, DDeStiny, toothfairy85

Houston: Ex_EE, Pelotari, Csdental

Hey, does anyone know when second round decision will be made and mailed out?

First rounds have to let San Antonio know by January 8th, Houston by January 12th, and Baylor by January 15th. So I would imagine that second round letters would start going out within the week of these dates. GOOD LUCK!

I'm just not sure how soon they postmark.

I called UTSA and Baylor on Tuesday. UTSA said they hadn't gotten any info from the dean's office for a specific date about when they'd be mailing out first round... and Baylor said it would be around the end of Jan/early Feb.

Seriously... do us waiting people have a chance? I'm so worried. :(

Based on what I heard from Houston, there is definitely still hope if you are waiting on Houston.

Ex_EE what did you hear from Houston? Wonder if they would say how many spots they have filled out already.

It's the same thing that you heard a long time ago. It might be worth a call to see if they would tell you anything.

It is useless to call them, they won't say a thing! The last time I called they told me that if I am waitlisted, they will be able to tell me in MAY! That is if I don't hear from them untill then.... If anyone else had better luck do tell me!!

What are you doing with your time from now untill August Ex_EE? I bet you are so excited to start school!!! I so badly want to start planning my move to Houston, but nope... I might have to stick around on SDN for another application cycle if things continue at this rate!! ;)

Based on what I heard from Houston, there is definitely still hope if you are waiting on Houston.

do you mean if I've already have had an interview? I haven't. All they tell me is that my application is "still under consideration" - whatever that means.

Yeah I meant if you already had an interview.

I just got interviewed in Houston on 1/8/07. I asked my interviewer and he doesn't even know how far along the admission process they've gotten. He told me, so far, everyone that he had interviewed is qualified but he doesn't know the criteria for selection. :( Hearing this makes me feel so hopeless.

You are saying that a member of the admission committe doesn't know the criteria for selection. That seems strange to me.

Just gave up my Houston spot this week. good luck to all.

lol...i second that. you guys give those spots up ASAP!

Looking at last years post it looks like Houston sent more letters out about a week after the deadline set in the initial mailing. If I am not mistaken, after the first round of letters the time to make a decision is considerably shorter, thus speeding up the entire process.

I got this e-mail from the Office of Admissions at Baylor

We have filled all of our class positions with our first round of acceptance letters. We will be sending out letters to place applicants on our alternate list in late February/early March. The Admissions Committee will be meeting in late February to select applicants for our alternate list.

For more information about our programs, please visit our web site at http://www.tambcd.edu/admissions/admissions.html. Our catalog is also available for view at http://www.tambcd.edu/Catalog/catalog.html.

The 2005 and 2006 entering class profiles may be viewed at: http://bcd.tamhsc.edu/admissions/dental/class2003/class2003.html

etc....

:thumbdown:

by reading previous two year's posts, this is about that time when Baylor will send a letter to everyone who they interviewed and want on an alternate list, because apparently their class is filled out. But I guess a lot of people last year that were on the alternate list got in, but they didn't find out untill really late in the game...

As for Houston, by the end of this week they will send out letters for the second round. If you don't hear anything by the end of the month you are SOL (something keeps telling me I will be one of those that is in the 'SOL' group).

Few letters from Houston will be mailed out beginning of March, and that is about it.... maybe a lucky one or two will hear later than that, only if someone decides to drop out. Those of us who interviewed there won't get our rejection letters untill June. I can say that it is safe to assume that if you don't hear by mid March at the lastest, begin preparing for the next cycle.

I don't know about SA... but those that did not get an interview, will get rejections in April, and those that did get an interview I want to say around May or June rejections are flying out as well.

K... hold on tight, another wave of "i got in" is coming.

And congrats to those that get in... and those that don't, May 1st is only four months away.

by reading previous two year's posts, this is about that time when Baylor will send a letter to everyone who they interviewed and want on an alternate list, because apparently their class is filled out. But I guess a lot of people last year that were on the alternate list got in, but they didn't find out untill really late in the game...

As for Houston, by the end of this week they will send out letters for the second round. If you don't hear anything by the end of the month you are SOL (something keeps telling me I will be one of those that is in the 'SOL' group).

Few letters from Houston will be mailed out beginning of March, and that is about it.... maybe a lucky one or two will hear later than that, only if someone decides to drop out. Those of us who interviewed there won't get our rejection letters untill June. I can say that it is safe to assume that if you don't hear by mid March at the lastest, begin preparing for the next cycle.

I don't know about SA... but those that did not get an interview, will get rejections in April, and those that did get an interview I want to say around May or June rejections are flying out as well.

K... hold on tight, another wave of "i got in" is coming.

And congrats to those that get in... and those that don't, May 1st is only four months away.

I now it is easier said than done, but don't loose faith CSI....You have worked hard for this and it will happen. Best of luck :luck: :luck: :)

When reapplying do you need to get new Letters or Recommendation and rewrite your personal statement and things of that sort?
That's going to be a pain doing it all over again. I guess I'll retake DAT too if I don't hear anything by March.

I now it is easier said than done, but don't loose faith CSI....You have worked hard for this and it will happen. Best of luck :luck: :luck: :)

thank you bunches!! :)

and as for LORs if you went through HPO, you can recyle those for one more year.

How about if we didn't go through the HPO? I've already graduated, so I'm not sure if that option even exists for me. I'd really rather just request those same LORs instead of asking them to write new ones.

I graduated two years ago as well, and I still used HPO.

However, I just learned on SDN that you can use interfolio... wish I knew that before. But try researching that.

I personally hate asking ppl for LOR's , i just feel like I am imposing, and making them write something nice about me.... it is a tough one. That is why I am glad I went through HPO, bc you get to use them for two consecutive years if needed.

I got this e-mail from the Office of Admissions at Baylor

We have filled all of our class positions with our first round of acceptance letters. We will be sending out letters to place applicants on our alternate list in late February/early March. The Admissions Committee will be meeting in late February to select applicants for our alternate list.

For more information about our programs, please visit our web site at http://www.tambcd.edu/admissions/admissions.html. Our catalog is also available for view at http://www.tambcd.edu/Catalog/catalog.html

The 2005 and 2006 entering class profiles may be viewed at: http://bcd.tamhsc.edu/admissions/dental/class2003/class2003.html

etc....

:thumbdown:

how come i didn't get that email??

Baylor sent me a similar email about a month ago, explaining that they had sent out 100 letters and so on. I was always curious afterwards, though, what if all 100 people accepted the offer? I believe they have 80 or 90 spots available, and realize the chances that all students actually taking the offer are slim to none, but what if, say 95 students accepted the offer? Just something that crossed my mind at one point.

I received that message because I e-mailed the admissions office first to ask about when the second round of acceptances would be mailed out.

I'm really glad to hear that LORs can be recycled for this round since I went through the Health professions office. This makes my life about six thousand times easier.

Anyone interested in Baylor might want to check into their post-bac program if you end up not getting in this cycle. Guaranteed acceptance in '08 cycle from what I hear and you get experience in your year of waiting. Not sure about the other schools. Last year's group had 8 students.

yeah but isn't that for underpriviledged students and minorities only? I might be wrong.

Doublechecked with Baylor today... Its true, First round DID fill up the class. I was told the admission committee is therefore in "no rush" and will meet in MARCH to decide who gets on the alternate list.

Looks dismal.......... :thumbdown:

Good luck to everyone still waiting on letters.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to rent or buy a house in San Antonio and I'm also looking at houses just to get a feel for what the market is like.

CSIDentist said:
"yeah but isn't that for underpriviledged students and minorities only? I might be wrong."

No idea. Just talked to someone who will be in the 2011 class coming from the post bac program. I didn't even know it existed!

yeah but isn't that for underpriviledged students and minorities only? I might be wrong.

yeah when they sent me the information for the program last year i was interested untill i saw that it was for underrepresented students only.

atm i was thinking of trying to get a job as dental assistant for the remaining time before school starts in september . Any suggestions?

You learn a whole lot being an assistant. I have been one for nearly two years now I think it is the best thing I could have done for my future. However, if you are planning on just doing it for a few months, it might not be worth it. As of september you have to be registered in order to assist. It costs the dentist a lot of money to get you registered so it might be hard to find a dentist that will be willing to make that kind of investment. If you could then the assistant route is the way to go..Good luck!!!

If anyone hears anything from Houston this week, please let us know!!!

they confirmed that the second round of letters was mailed out this past Friday... you should know this week. They also said that they are not sure if they will need to send any more letters, it all depends. If needed they will mail them accordingly. Also if needed, an alternate list will be created in May.

Good luck.