*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so for activities that you don't list as "most meaningful" should you keep it to a simple description of the experience or should you also include like what you got out of it...if there's room?

I think that if you really learned something significant from the experience, you should describe it. Otherwise, try to keep it simple. Generally I tried to keep my descriptions as brief as possible but I couldn't help but write at length about some experiences that I didn't designate as "most meaningful". Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad.

I have several hobbies and experiences that I do not have a valid contact to refer the adcoms to. For example: I enjoy sculpting and crabbing in my spare time.

How do I list those activities given they do not have any contacts for me to list?

Also, it has been recommended to group activities. For example: I have several low level jobs that I worked throughout college. If I list them in one box, who do I put for the contact given these were different companies and for many or all my supervisor no longer works there?

Also, I moved every 1-2 years for my entire life. This had a major effect on me as I was exposed to different cultures and people throughout my life and it certainly contributed to me being the eclectic individual I am today.

How do I list this in work/activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm wondering what are the best ways to title/label my activities..

Some of them include... AMSA member, Conscious Alliance member (hunger awareness organization), HEROs (organization dedicated to children affected by AIDS), Office assisant in chemistry department, vice pres of premedical honors society (AED), research in chemistry dept (biochemical research), medical trip to central america, hospice volunteer, tutor at an afterschool program and I cook at a homeless shelter..

what are the best ways to title these activities on my list? I want to be clear but I do not want to sound repetitive.

So for example could I label the experience name...
-AMSA member then American Medical Student Association for the organization name?
-Conscious Alliance and HEROs members
-Vice Pres of AED / or premedical honors society
-Biochemical research?
-Hospice volunteer
-Volunteer on Medical Trip??

I was a postbac IRTA at the NIH soon after I graduated college in 2009 and would like to list that under my work experiences. The catch is that I was only there for 4 months--I resigned from my position to move across country to train in the ministry. I know...it looks like I'm uncommitted/flakey and if I mention this on my application, I run the risk of appearing that way.

In all honesty though, I would really like to list the NIH as one of my most meaningful experiences...I've actually been in 6 different research labs (with long term [over 1 yr] commitments in three of them--the other three are the NIH and two summer programs). They were all computer and imaging based for the most part, but my work at the NIH was more "wet lab" (doing surgeries, PCR, etc.). I know that I'll have to explain why I left if it was "so important"...the short answer is that I knew that I needed to grow in other areas besides science--I needed to grow and mature as a person and learn how to build with people from a wide variety of socioeconomic classes, from the former vice president of General Mills to the single mother working minimum wage (literally).

I'd love to get advice on this though, as to whether I should include it in my application and what would be the best situation to do...I've thought about not including it or maybe including it but not mentioning it as my most meaningful experience...I'm just not sure. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot...Thanks a ton in advance for any advice!!
If you don't mention it, then schools will think you just partied for 4 months... I would list it. I wouldn't be too worried about it looking flakey especially since you liked it so much. My vote is go for it. If it was one of your top 3 most meaningful activities, then I say mark it for that too.

I decided to include the scut jobs I did in undergrad just to prove that I can tolerate suckage. Problem is, I don't have any contact info for them. I worked at The Picture People and Starbucks, and before that, the dorm caf. I was going to list a contact for Starbucks since that's where I stayed the longest. I called the corporate number and they said there's no one person, but I could give the corporate number and they'd verify that I worked there. I don't even remember my boss' last name, let alone his phone number or email. What should I list for the contact person?
Give the corporate number then. The adcom who calls will want to confirm 1. That you worked there 2. That you worked for the hours and time span you claimed on your app.

If you're really struggling then list a coworker or a roommate

ok, so for activities that you don't list as "most meaningful" should you keep it to a simple description of the experience or should you also include like what you got out of it...if there's room?
This is the $1m question. Do whatever feels natural to you. Read the FAQ in post 2 of this thread

1. I have several hobbies and experiences that I do not have a valid contact to refer the adcoms to. For example: I enjoy sculpting and crabbing in my spare time.

How do I list those activities given they do not have any contacts for me to list?

2. Also, it has been recommended to group activities. For example: I have several low level jobs that I worked throughout college. If I list them in one box, who do I put for the contact given these were different companies and for many or all my supervisor no longer works there?
1. List a teacher, a roommate, or your mom. Contact info for a hobby isn't too strict IMO

2. If you worked at the jobs for more than a month or two, then I think you're justified in listing each of them separate (unless you are already at 15 activities or you're a non-trad).

I would also combine them if it was the same job but it was broken up by summer breaks

In answer to your question, just list the info for the first job in the boxes, then talk about the first job at the top of the description box, then say "Also:" and list the other jobs, including contact info, below in the description box

Also, I moved every 1-2 years for my entire life. This had a major effect on me as I was exposed to different cultures and people throughout my life and it certainly contributed to me being the eclectic individual I am today.

How do I list this in work/activities?
Most secondaries will have some type of diversity prompt. This would be much more appropriate to write about for that essay than it is to list as an EC.

Some of them include... AMSA member, Conscious Alliance member (hunger awareness organization), HEROs (organization dedicated to children affected by AIDS), Office assisant in chemistry department, vice pres of premedical honors society (AED), research in chemistry dept (biochemical research), medical trip to central america, hospice volunteer, tutor at an afterschool program and I cook at a homeless shelter..

what are the best ways to title these activities on my list? I want to be clear but I do not want to sound repetitive.

-AMSA member then American Medical Student Association for the organization name?
-Biochemical research?
-Hospice volunteer
I don't have any tips about this. Maybe LizzyM can help (I don't know when Catalystik will be back)

I wouldn't stress TOO much about the titles though.

If you don't mention it, then schools will think you just partied for 4 months... I would list it. I wouldn't be too worried about it looking flakey especially since you liked it so much. My vote is go for it. If it was one of your top 3 most meaningful activities, then I say mark it for that too.
Thanks so much for the advice! Should I explain why I didn't complete the full 1 year term or just state why it was one of my significant experiences?

Hey guys quick question

I volunteered at a hospital all senior yr of high school. I then came back and volunteered the summer between my fresh-soph years at the same place....should I include the high school experience?

Hey guys quick question

I volunteered at a hospital all senior yr of high school. I then came back and volunteered the summer between my fresh-soph years at the same place....should I include the high school experience?

i think the consensus is include HS experience if it shows a continuation of an experience. i had a similar situation and included the HS experience

Members don't see this ad :)

-Biochemical research?
-Hospice volunteer

There is a pull down menu to categorize the activity (volunteer, non-clinical is one category, leadership is another, as is "research" etc). Then you list your job title (volunteer, Vice President, etc) and then the group or organization name (AMSA, Conscious Alliance, etc).

I don't understand what is so complicated.

* Non-research presentations and publications: what to do with them?! I'm FLAMINGLY non-trad and presented a writing seminar in connection with my M.F.A. graduation. I'm also a multiple-time published poet. Is it a total faux pas to use the presentations and publications sections for anything that isn't peer-reviewed research? Should I put this stuff in "Teaching" and "Artistic Endeavors"?

* On that same note, is it OK to have more than one "Artistic Endeavors" entry? I'm one of those people who just can't keep still; I'm always doing ten things at a time. Some of those will probably go in "Hobbies" but there may be more than one specific project that deserves its own entry.

* On a more hardcore note: I had an international job experience that lasted most of a year. It was pretty significant. However, because of the time zone and language problems, it's quite difficult for people here to contact my employer there. I can give a phone number and email address, but they don't always answer reliably. How important is it whether contacts respond promptly?

* Are time gaps a big deal? Between my return from abroad and my entry into the post-bac program there passed about 9 months where I was writing articles, doing small business stuff, not really on the record as employed. It was a scattered enough period that it doesn't condense easily into a single experience. Do people look at the EC's in direct chronological order?

* Non-research presentations and publications: what to do with them?! I'm FLAMINGLY non-trad and presented a writing seminar in connection with my M.F.A. graduation. I'm also a multiple-time published poet. Is it a total faux pas to use the presentations and publications sections for anything that isn't peer-reviewed research? Should I put this stuff in "Teaching" and "Artistic Endeavors"?

* On that same note, is it OK to have more than one "Artistic Endeavors" entry? I'm one of those people who just can't keep still; I'm always doing ten things at a time. Some of those will probably go in "Hobbies" but there may be more than one specific project that deserves its own entry.

Any creative writing should go under artistic endeavors, not publications. It is ok to have more than one item with that header.
* On a more hardcore note: I had an international job experience that lasted most of a year. It was pretty significant. However, because of the time zone and language problems, it's quite difficult for people here to contact my employer there. I can give a phone number and email address, but they don't always answer reliably. How important is it whether contacts respond promptly?

99.99% of the time it is a non-issue as no one will use that information to contact anyone.
* Are time gaps a big deal? Between my return from abroad and my entry into the post-bac program there passed about 9 months where I was writing articles, doing small business stuff, not really on the record as employed. It was a scattered enough period that it doesn't condense easily into a single experience. Do people look at the EC's in direct chronological order?

A gap of 9 mos might be questioned. You should have something that you were doing during that time even if only a few hours per week. Otherwise, an adcom might wonder what you were doing (Covert Ops, Insane Asylum, or Federal Pen?)

Hello! I really need some advice...

I worked at a school for several years and earned a promotion after a few years working in the front office. I am planning on listing them as one Work Experience entry, however, I am not sure if I should state the fact that I earned a promotion. What do you (Catalystik, LizzyM) think about this :

Front Office Clerk
-worked x hours...
-responsibilities included...

Registrar's Assistant
-earned a promotion?
-worked x hours
-responsibilites included

Thanks in advance!

Any creative writing should go under artistic endeavors, not publications. It is ok to have more than one item with that header.

99.99% of the time it is a non-issue as no one will use that information to contact anyone.

A gap of 9 mos might be questioned. You should have something that you were doing during that time even if only a few hours per week. Otherwise, an adcom might wonder what you were doing (Covert Ops, Insane Asylum, or Federal Pen?)

Heeh. Thanks! That's useful. Probably I'll emphasize my freelance article writing for that time frame, then.

There is a pull down menu to categorize the activity (volunteer, non-clinical is one category, leadership is another, as is "research" etc). Then you list your job title (volunteer, Vice President, etc) and then the group or organization name (AMSA, Conscious Alliance, etc).

I don't understand what is so complicated.

Okay maybe I'm just worrying about something I shouldn't be concerned about. But I understand how to categorize my activities. But on the main list where they are all written, I'm not sure how to label them. For example for vice president, would I list it as Vice President, Vice President of AED, AED Vice President, Vice President of Premedical Honors Society? And then for my other extracurriculars just list AMSA member, Conscious Alliance member, Biochemical Research?, Biochemical researcher, biochemical research participant?

I'm talking about the actual title to name them as. Maybe this isn't as important as I feel but I don't want to have a redundant list of X member, Y member, Z member..

Or, like for a medical trip.. should I just list Medical Trip to Central America, or Medical Trip participant.. stuff like this just makes me wonder if there's a right or wrong way to title these things

Last edited:
Okay maybe I'm just worrying about something I shouldn't be concerned about. But I understand how to categorize my activities. But on the main list where they are all written, I'm not sure how to label them. For example for vice president, would I list it as Vice President, Vice President of AED, AED Vice President, Vice President of Premedical Honors Society? And then for my other extracurriculars just list AMSA member, Conscious Alliance member, Biochemical Research?, Biochemical researcher, biochemical research participant?

I'm talking about the actual title to name them as. Maybe this isn't as important as I feel but I don't want to have a redundant list of X member, Y member, Z member..

Or, like for a medical trip.. should I just list Medical Trip to Central America, or Medical Trip participant.. stuff like this just makes me wonder if there's a right or wrong way to title these things

You're overthinking it. Label them in such a way as to give each entry a clear and concise identifier of the activity.

Worry more about accurately and comprehensively describing the activities and their impact on you.

I'm having some trouble deciding how to split up these things into the right categories.

So I've done two summers of research at a very well respected institute.
My research from the first summer has an abstract out that is published with Experimental Biology. I also did two poster presentations at the EB conference in DC (one generic, one for the APS), as well as a 15 minute powerpoint talk during a session. All on the same research. My research from my second summer has not been submitted or anything as of yet.

I've also presented a ten minute talk both summers on my research to about 50 members of the research program where I worked over the summer, as well as public poster presentations for the graduate school.

My questions are:

1) how should I split this all up? should I list all three (research, presentations/posters, and conferences attended)?

2) Should I just list research and then combine conferences and presentations/posters together?

3) Is mentioning the powerpoint talks and poster sessions that were internal to the institute I did research at just adding fluff?

Any comments or help would be appreciated!

I'm having some trouble deciding how to split up these things into the right categories.

So I've done two summers of research at a very well respected institute.
My research from the first summer has an abstract out that is published with Experimental Biology. I also did two poster presentations at the EB conference in DC (one generic, one for the APS), as well as a 15 minute powerpoint talk during a session. All on the same research. My research from my second summer has not been submitted or anything as of yet.

I've also presented a ten minute talk both summers on my research to about 50 members of the research program where I worked over the summer, as well as public poster presentations for the graduate school.

My questions are:

1) how should I split this all up? should I list all three (research, presentations/posters, and conferences attended)?

2) Should I just list research and then combine conferences and presentations/posters together?

3) Is mentioning the powerpoint talks and poster sessions that were internal to the institute I did research at just adding fluff?

Any comments or help would be appreciated!
1) For one research project, you would use a "research" space (where you give the hours per week, time span, etc) then you would also use an additional space with the highest achievement as the heading and group all other publications, presentations, or posters into the same space.

So if your research for the two different summers was different then you would split it up into three entries:

#1. A "research" slot for summer #1 (giving hours per week and time span)
#2. A "publication" slot if your abstract in Experimental Biology is listed on PubMed. If not listed, then use a "Presentations/poster" slot and mention the abstract in there. All of the presentations and posters associated with the same research project should be listed in the same space. No hours per week or time span would be listed here
#3. Another "research" slot for summer #2

Conferences attended is for conferences you go to but don't present anything. They rarely add much to your application

2) See response to 1)

3) Yes, that would be fluff to mention separately. You could mention them in the associated "research" slot if you wish

How often does the AAMC check up on contacts? I'm unsure about using a contact but I have no other option. Do they actually ask about you? Like how was he as a worker, did he show initiative, etc? Or is it mostly just "Did XXXX work here?, Ok thank you."

I'm sure someone has asked this but 1,600 posts is a lot to go through.

Also, how do you list contacts for clubs? Just directors to verify you were in the club or other members who worked with you?

How often does the AAMC check up on contacts? I'm unsure about using a contact but I have no other option. Do they actually ask about you? Like how was he as a worker, did he show initiative, etc? Or is it mostly just "Did XXXX work here?, Ok thank you."

I'm sure someone has asked this but 1,600 posts is a lot to go through.
AAMC never checks on contacts. It's the med schools themselves that check if they so desire.

Very few schools contact anyone.

The purpose of the contact is so that they can confirm your hours and your time span. You aren't providing a reference. That purpose is served by LORs.

AAMC never checks on contacts. It's the med schools themselves that check if they so desire.

Very few schools contact anyone.

The purpose of the contact is so that they can confirm your hours and your time span. You aren't providing a reference. That purpose is served by LORs.

Thank you.

Is it alright to include shadowing/hospital volunteering in my most important experiences? Is it too cliche?

Also, there is a contact for one experience that I'm pretty sure would be unable to verify if I was ever part of an organization (it was seasonal volunteer work through my school and an outside club) and the only contact I can find is the person from the outside club. I went through my school and never really had personal contact with the coordinator. Is this going to be a major problem/should I just take it out? I don't want to but I don't want to screw myself over in the long run.

1. Is it alright to include shadowing/hospital volunteering in my most important experiences? Is it too cliche?

2. Also, there is a contact for one experience that I'm pretty sure would be unable to verify if I was ever part of an organization (it was seasonal volunteer work through my school and an outside club) and the only contact I can find is the person from the outside club. I went through my school and never really had personal contact with the coordinator. Is this going to be a major problem/should I just take it out? I don't want to but I don't want to screw myself over in the long run.
1. Go for it, if it really was. I read somewhere on SDN that an applicant called an admissions office (possibly UMich?) and they were told that it would be strange if at least one medical activity wasn't listed as most meaningful. Take that with a grain of salt though because this is the first year that it is available

2. Find a contact person who can verify your involvement. Maybe a fellow member of the club

1. Go for it, if it really was. I read somewhere on SDN that an applicant called an admissions office (possibly UMich?) and they were told that it would be strange if at least one medical activity wasn't listed as most meaningful. Take that with a grain of salt though because this is the first year that it is available

2. Find a contact person who can verify your involvement. Maybe a fellow member of the club

1. Thanks, it is. I really don't know how it couldn't be either, but didn't want to sound like I didn't have anything else on my application. I also didn't know that this is the first year it's being done. If anything I'll start the cliches then.

2. Alright, I'll do that. I just feel weird listing peers as contacts.

So it is going to look bad if I didn't have any activity listed as "Leadership"?

I was a UTA for genetics so I listed that as "teaching" and I also volunteered to give children dance classes and choreographed two routines and took them to two performances so I listed that one as "community service/non-clinical".

So are the dance lessons considered "leadership" and more importantly, should I list it as "leadership"?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

So it is going to look bad if I didn't have any activity listed as "Leadership"?

I was a UTA for genetics so I listed that as "teaching" and I also volunteered to give children dance classes and choreographed two routines and took them to two performances so I listed that one as "community service/non-clinical".

So are the dance lessons considered "leadership" and more importantly, should I list it as "leadership"?
"Leadership" implies peer leadership, for AMCAS purposes. I think you categorized it correctly a community service-nonclinical. And Leadership isn't listed as required anywhere, but some schools probably look for it, especially if it's included in the mission statement..

"Leadership" implies peer leadership, for AMCAS purposes. I think you categorized it correctly a community service-nonclinical. And Leadership isn't listed as required anywhere, but some schools probably look for it, especially if it's included in the mission statement..

Thank you!

If I list traveling as a hobby for AMCAS, should I list all of the places I have been to, number of times, and the value I extracted from each experience?

If I list traveling as a hobby for AMCAS, should I list all of the places I have been to, number of times, and the value I extracted from each experience?
I doubt you'll have the space for all that unless you give it "Most Meaningful" status. You might give more of a gestault of the experiences by being more generic, eg, "During three two-month backpacking trips to Europe in 2007, 2008, and 2010, I . . . . giving me the opportunity to meet young adults from all over the world and see numerous historic monuments, which . . . .. The culture I found most different was during a 2011 trip to S Africa, where I . . ." You get the drift?

When I see such an entry, I generally ask applicants what experience took them farthest outside their comfort zone. Be prepared to discuss these experiences in terms of appreciation of the diverse elements of different societies. Adcomms like to see evidence of tolerance and flexibility.

So I had a quick question, I know the most significant portion of the application is a new this year and how applicants will use the space will vary.

Will having only one significant experience be frowned upon? I can only come up with one, the rest have been pretty much covered in the PS. I have around 11 activities overall.

I am also debating on if I should put my one month solo trip across Europe. I guess it would be under hobby right?

thanks a bunch

So I had a quick question, I know the most significant portion of the application is a new this year and how applicants will use the space will vary.

Will having only one significant experience be frowned upon? I can only come up with one, the rest have been pretty much covered in the PS. I have around 11 activities overall.

I am also debating on if I should put my one month solo trip across Europe. I guess it would be under hobby right?

thanks a bunch

You really answered your own question. We don't necessarily know how adcoms will view having only one significant activity, just as adcoms do not behave as a monolithic entity. Just be truthful and don't try to pass something off as significant if you don't have the description to back it up.

Few questions:

1) I'm confused as rather how to list my leadership positions of organizations on AMCAS. For example, if I am the president of XX organization, do I put "Leadership" for Experience and for Experience Name, do I write "President of XX organization." ?

I'm not sure what to write because writing "XX" for Organization line makes it repetitive in my opinion.

In that case, what sort of things do we write for Experience Name? Examples would be nice to read.

2) Is it okay to put in research presentations under conferences since I DID do the presentations at those conferences? Also, I got an award at one of them and so is it okay to include that in the experience description?

3) I have two publications (all in press) in which I am a primary author for one and a secondary author for another. So do I list both of them in one category of "Publications" if I want to save space?

4) I am also volunteering at two clinics with similar missions and would it be wise to group them into one activity?

5) I received a top undergraduate scholarship at my university and have done a lot with it and so I was wondering if it worth listing that as an "Award" because it has paid for my undergraduate education and is favorably looked up at my university.

Thank you very much!

Few questions:

1) I'm confused as rather how to list my leadership positions of organizations on AMCAS. For example, if I am the president of XX organization, do I put "Leadership" for Experience and for Experience Name, do I write "President of XX organization." ?

I'm not sure what to write because writing "XX" for Organization line makes it repetitive in my opinion.

In that case, what sort of things do we write for Experience Name? Examples would be nice to read.

2) Is it okay to put in research presentations under conferences since I DID do the presentations at those conferences? Also, I got an award at one of them and so is it okay to include that in the experience description?

3) I have two publications (all in press) in which I am a primary author for one and a secondary author for another. So do I list both of them in one category of "Publications" if I want to save space?

4) I am also volunteering at two clinics with similar missions and would it be wise to group them into one activity?

5) I received a top undergraduate scholarship at my university and have done a lot with it and so I was wondering if it worth listing that as an "Award" because it has paid for my undergraduate education and is favorably looked up at my university.
1) That would be how many would list it. For the name you might alternatively just say "Club/Group/Association/etc President" or somesuch so as not to be repetitive.

2) If you did a presentation, list it under "Posters/Presentations." "Conferences Attended" is for when you were an attendee who only went to sessions. It's preferredto mention an associated award in the same space.

3) To be clear, "in press" refers to a paper that has been accepted but has not yet come out in print. A submitted paper is mentioned in the associated Research entry. If they were both accepted, they each deserve their own entry, but if space is an issue, you may group them.

4) Better to list them separately, but they may be grouped, listing the most subtantial in the header and adding simiar info in the narrative for the second.

5) "Awards" is a reasonable place for it, assuming it was not needs-based. You may mention the monetary value if it is substantial. Most would list all Awards/Honors/Scholarships in one space.

1) That would be how many would list it. For the name you might alternatively just say "Club/Group/Association/etc President" or somesuch so as not to be repetitive.

2) If you did a presentation, list it under "Posters/Presentations." "Conferences Attended" is for when you were an attendee who only went to sessions. It's preferredto mention an associated award in the same space.

3) To be clear, "in press" refers to a paper that has been accepted but has not yet come out in print. A submitted paper is mentioned in the associated Research entry. If they were both accepted, they each deserve their own entry, but if space is an issue, you may group them.

4) Better to list them separately, but they may be grouped, listing the most subtantial in the header and adding simiar info in the narrative for the second.

5) "Awards" is a reasonable place for it, assuming it was not needs-based. You may mention the monetary value if it is substantial. Most would list all Awards/Honors/Scholarships in one space.

Thank you very much for your responses!
1) I'm not sure if I'm understanding your response; so it is acceptable to write "President" for Experience Name and put the organization name in the "Organization" space? Please clarify.
2) I did oral and poster presentations at all the conferences I attended and so I will clump all of the ones I attended as one in "Posters/Presentation" category. Thank you for the clarification.
3) I suppose I was not very familiar with the nuances in terminology. Both papers are officially published in the journal now. I am leaning towards grouping them as one - but I'm not sure if I should. Should I use AMA citation for the description.
4) I will think about this one.
5) It was not needs-based. It is a purely merit based scholarship through which I had to go through rigorous application process and interviews before I came as a freshman. Because I am fighting for space on my application, is it acceptable to list other related awards like "Best Senior in Biochem" award in that description space?

Also, another question popped up, I am listing Study Abroad as "Other" and so for Country, do we list the country in which the study abroad took place or the hometown of the university through which I went on the study abroad trip on? I went to Germany as a summer program through this university in the U.S. which collaborated with an agency in Germany.

Last edited:
thank you Catalystik and mauberley for your response

I will just put one and will see what will happen. Just did not want to fill space with weak experience

I travel a lot for leisure but only did it solo for a month one time. It was amazing to stay at 5 differnt european cities at the hostel and meet ppl from all over the world. Other trips has been around states to big cities east & west coast. i guess I could list them..hmmmm

Thank you very much for your responses!
1) I'm not sure if I'm understanding your response; so it is acceptable to write "President" for Experience Name and put the organization name in the "Organization" space? Please clarify.
2) I did oral and poster presentations at all the conferences I attended and so I will clump all of the ones I attended as one in "Posters/Presentation" category. Thank you for the clarification.
3) I suppose I was not very familiar with the nuances in terminology. Both papers are officially published in the journal now. I am leaning towards grouping them as one - but I'm not sure if I should. Should I use AMA citation for the description.
4) I will think about this one.
5) It was not needs-based. It is a purely merit based scholarship through which I had to go through rigorous application process and interviews before I came as a freshman. Because I am fighting for space on my application, is it acceptable to list other related awards like "Best Senior in Biochem" award in that description space?

Also, another question popped up, I am listing Study Abroad as "Other" and so for Country, do we list the country in which the study abroad took place or the hometown of the university through which I went on the study abroad trip on? I went to Germany as a summer program through this university in the U.S. which collaborated with an agency in Germany.
1) I wouldn't just put "President," I would put either "Club President" or "President of Sky Divers Club"(even if you list Sky Divers Club under the organization name).

3) Use a citation that makes the papers PubMed searchable.

5) So the scholarship was not based on college activities, but rather high school activites. Did the activity continue into the college years? What was it?

Yes, you can use the same space for more awards, putting the most prestigious in the header.

I'm sure this has been answered here before, but what do we do for contact information if the activity is personal? Like artistic endeavor or tutor? Do we just put ourselves since it's not affiliated with any organization (feels kind of silly :laugh:)?

Also, if there is a gap of inactivity in the activity, should we mention it in the description? Or will the hours listed make it obvious?

Last edited:
1) I wouldn't just put "President," I would put either "Club President" or "President of Sky Divers Club"(even if you list Sky Divers Club under the organization name).

3) Use a citation that makes the papers PubMed searchable.

5) So the scholarship was not based on college activities, but rather high school activites. Did the activity continue into the college years? What was it?

Yes, you can use the same space for more awards, putting the most prestigious in the header.

Regarding the scholarship, it was based on high school activities but through the scholarship, I had to mentor an elementary school child, and engage in a few service activities as well as uphold a certain GPA. I'm not sure if you overlooked my question regarding about study abroad but a response would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your clarifications!

I'd list the country where the study abroad experience took place.

I'm sure this has been answered here before, but what do we do for contact information if the activity is personal? Like artistic endeavor or tutor? Do we just put ourselves since it's not affiliated with any organization (feels kind of silly :laugh:)?

Also, if there is a gap of inactivity in the activity, should we mention it in the description? Or will the hours listed make it obvious?
For artistic endeavor list yourself, a parent, or a past teacher in the area. For tutor, list a tutee or their parent if you tutored kids.

You can mention the gap in the narrative. The hours per week should be total hours divided by total weeks including the gap, which dilutes them somewhat. A long gap would be handled differently.

Thanks again for the quick reply! You probably already know it but you're quite the lifesaver :D

I volunteer over 100 hours at my local hospital from July 2010-present. However, my volunteering was sporadic and I went when I had time. I had two surgeries the past year, a death in the family, and completed all of my medical prereqs in that time, so it was difficult for me to commit a given number of hours per week.

So how do I list my numbers per week? Do I leave it blank do I average it? Averaging it would only leave me with 1.92 hours per week...

Status
Not open for further replies.