*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I have a question: I have been providing companionship to an elderly cancer patient in our community and facilitating transportation to her weekly appointments.

This volunteering isn't really part of an "organization", just through local comunity contacts. Is it ok to leave the "organization" part blank or is there something appropriate to put down in this instance?

-Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been providing companionship to an elderly cancer patient in our community and facilitating transportation to her weekly appointments.

This volunteering isn't really part of an "organization", just through local comunity contacts. Is it ok to leave the "organization" part blank or is there something appropriate to put down in this instance?
You don't need to use an organization name, but you do need to list a contact. The patient herself would be a fine option.

You don't need to use an organization name, but you do need to list a contact. The patient herself would be a fine option.

Thank you for that. Given that she's really old, and not too email/cell phone savvy, would it be ok to list the person who introduced me to her? That wouldn't raise any red flags or anything would it?

-Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Given that she's really old, and not too email/cell phone savvy, would it be ok to list the person who introduced me to her? That wouldn't raise any red flags or anything would it?
It's fine to list the facilitator that got you involved. Hopefully this person is well aware of the level of your involvement and can attest to it.

It's fine to list the facilitator that got you involved. Hopefully this person is well aware of the level of your involvement and can attest to it.

Thankfully they have been well updated with my work. I think I'm going to list them down.

-Thank you very much!

I have been part of an activity through my university that is a club dedicated to serving a particular group, since January 2010. It is a nationally known club and has chapters at many schools. In August 2010 I was selected fundraising coordinator with many responsibilities including applying for grants from private foundations (we raised $13,500). In 2011 I have been co-chair overseeing all the activities and plans of the board members and presiding over meetings. It is an extremely active club with about 40 very dedicated students. I devote 10-20 hours of work a week to it, not to speak of the number of hours thinking about it and planning in my head. I go to national meetings. I am in a quandary about whether to list it as leadership or community service. I want to list it as community service, but it is my best leadership activity. I have also been captain of two competitive intramural teams (men and coed) every semester since I've been in college, and I've tutored chemistry one summer. That's the extent of my leadership except what I did in high school. If I list the club under community service and the intramural team under hobbies will they see that it is leadership? I do have lots of clinical community service, but this is my best non-medical community service by a long shot. If you say to put it under non-clinical community service and make it clear in the title that it was also leadership, how would you word it? Thanks!

I have been part of an activity through my university that is a club dedicated to serving a particular group, since January 2010. It is a nationally known club and has chapters at many schools. In August 2010 I was selected fundraising coordinator with many responsibilities including applying for grants from private foundations (we raised $13,500). In 2011 I have been co-chair overseeing all the activities and plans of the board members and presiding over meetings. It is an extremely active club with about 40 very dedicated students. I devote 10-20 hours of work a week to it, not to speak of the number of hours thinking about it and planning in my head. I go to national meetings. I am in a quandary about whether to list it as leadership or community service. I want to list it as community service, but it is my best leadership activity. I have also been captain of two competitive intramural teams (men and coed) every semester since I've been in college, and I've tutored chemistry one summer. That's the extent of my leadership except what I did in high school. If I list the club under community service and the intramural team under hobbies will they see that it is leadership? I do have lots of clinical community service, but this is my best non-medical community service by a long shot. If you say to put it under non-clinical community service and make it clear in the title that it was also leadership, how would you word it? Thanks!
What about splitting the activity into two components and listing them under the two designations? You probably were not in a leadership role the first day you joined this group.

When you choose a designation, you'll see that "Leadership-Not Otherwise Listed" is what it's called. This is because it's common to group all activities within one organization together, regardless of title.

So alternatively, if you are short on space, I'd put it under Community Service-nonMedical and name the activity something like Membership and Leadership Roles in XXXXX Club. List the date spans for each role in the narrative. You might even have this be one of your "Most Meaningful" activities so as to have more space.

Editorial Comment: Sounds like a terrific experience.

You have a choice of title for the intramural team, too, either listing it under Hobbies with a date in the header that may have begun in HS (as you surely were engaged in this as an activity before becoming captain) and calling it something like Vollyball Team Player and Captain (listing dates as captain in the narrative). Or you could put it under Leadership, titling it Captain of Intramural Volleyball Team (listing only the dates that you were captain in the header), and then give the past history of involvement over the years in the narrative.

Thanks, Catalystik!

I think I will put it under community service, non-clinical and name it as Membership and Leadership roles in _____, as you suggested. It will definitely be one of my most meaningful activities, and I'll include the date spans of the different roles I've had. It has been an awesome experience for me and all involved, thank-you!

I'm still not sure what to do about the intramural thing. If I list it under hobbies I would only want to use one space slot, but I've also done one sprint triathalon, so I'd like to mention that, and I don't really have room for all the things I'd like to mention. I was a varsity basketball player at my high school (at a very competitive team and state) for three years. I was a starting point guard my junior and senior years and I was co-captain my senior year. This was at a high school I did not attend. The high school I attended, (a public magnet school), didn't have sports so I tried out for the high school basketball team in my district. I made it, and years later was even selected as co-captain because of my work ethic and team skills. This was a very significant thing in my life because of the stigma of being an "outsider" from another school, and eventually gaining the respect, trust and friendship of the coach and other team members, enough to place me in leadership positions. However, I see this as a high school thing, and I don't think I can mention any of this in my hobbies section- should I? It does not qualify as a most meaningful topic of interest and I have three of those already selected.

If I have two slots available, do you think it would be overdoing my hobbies to devote one space to this intramural thing with a mention of the high school stuff and another slot to other, less important hobbies like the one triathalon? I also run and swim a lot but by myself, and other things I do occassionally as hobbies, but are not organized things.

I was a varsity basketball player at my high school (at a very competitive team and state) for three years. I was a starting point guard my junior and senior years and I was co-captain my senior year. This was at a high school I did not attend. The high school I attended, (a public magnet school), didn't have sports so I tried out for the high school basketball team in my district. I made it, and years later was even selected as co-captain because of my work ethic and team skills. This was a very significant thing in my life because of the stigma of being an "outsider" from another school, and eventually gaining the respect, trust and friendship of the coach and other team members, enough to place me in leadership positions. However, I see this as a high school thing, and I don't think I can mention any of this in my hobbies section- should I?
There is no rule that you can't mention HS activities, however, if you list it adcomm members probably won't regard it much as it happened so long ago. An exception to the "rule" is when you continue to engage in the same activity during the college years, in which case it's more legit to give it space.

Another place to mention it would be in a Secondary essay for "A challenge you overcame" or similar, which is a common topic.

If I have two slots available, do you think it would be overdoing my hobbies to devote one space to this intramural thing with a mention of the high school stuff and another slot to other, less important hobbies like the one triathalon? I also run and swim a lot but by myself, and other things I do occassionally as hobbies, but are not organized things.
I think it would be reasonable to put the intramural sport and related activity (if it's the same sport) with its leadership in one space and all your other hobbies in another.

Thanks, Catalystik. I'll only put my college stuff and condense it in one space. As you say, I might consider it for secondary essays, but I don't know if high school stuff is really legit for those either. I have not had huge challenges or adversity to overcome in college yet.

Thanks for your good advice. I'm applying next spring, but trying to get organized and get my thoughts together early:D.

I have several questions about how to classify activities:

1.) I am a coordinator/group leader for incoming freshman and transfer students (typically groups of 10 ish students) during their summer orientations (which extends over 2 days for each orientation). Is this considered leadership? We are given compensation of $1,000 for the entire program but we work on smaller projects during the spring and fall and are working full time doing orientations throughout the entire summer. (In other words, nobody does it for the money). So leadership or employment? I kinda feel like it is more leadership..

2.) Vice President, Training Officer, & Grant Writer for a first aid squad.. All of these are nonclinical and not paid. I am choosing to list volunteer EMT separately as clinical volunteering. Should I list the VP/Training Officer/Grant Writer into one spot? I started grant writing significantly before taking on VP & Training Officer. Also.. Training Officer I teach CPR and First Aid classes so that is more of a Teaching/Tutoring activity. VP seems like leadership/not listed elsewhere.. and Grant Writer sounds more like nonclinical volunteering. I do have quite a bit to say for each commitment but don't want to seem like I'm just filling up spots to look like I've done more than I have. What should I do?

3.) If I am a member of various school clubs what should I list them under? One of them includes us fundraising and volunteering so I thought I could list that under nonclinical volunteering? But the others are more educational/academic so not really sure what to list them as...

4.) Secretary & Financial Rep of a school club. Is that considered leadership?

I keep hearing people say quality over quantity but is it necessarily a bad thing to fill up all 15 spots? I think that most of my activities are worth mentioning. My longest commitments are 2+ years. Shortest ones are 8 months.

I have several questions about how to classify activities:

1.) I am a coordinator/group leader for incoming freshman and transfer students (typically groups of 10 ish students) during their summer orientations (which extends over 2 days for each orientation). Is this considered leadership? We are given compensation of $1,000 for the entire program but we work on smaller projects during the spring and fall and are working full time doing orientations throughout the entire summer. (In other words, nobody does it for the money). So leadership or employment? I kinda feel like it is more leadership..

2.) Vice President, Training Officer, & Grant Writer for a first aid squad.. All of these are nonclinical and not paid. I am choosing to list volunteer EMT separately as clinical volunteering. Should I list the VP/Training Officer/Grant Writer into one spot? I started grant writing significantly before taking on VP & Training Officer. Also.. Training Officer I teach CPR and First Aid classes so that is more of a Teaching/Tutoring activity. VP seems like leadership/not listed elsewhere.. and Grant Writer sounds more like nonclinical volunteering. I do have quite a bit to say for each commitment but don't want to seem like I'm just filling up spots to look like I've done more than I have. What should I do?

3.) If I am a member of various school clubs what should I list them under? One of them includes us fundraising and volunteering so I thought I could list that under nonclinical volunteering? But the others are more educational/academic so not really sure what to list them as...

4.) Secretary & Financial Rep of a school club. Is that considered leadership?

5) I keep hearing people say quality over quantity but is it necessarily a bad thing to fill up all 15 spots? I think that most of my activities are worth mentioning. My longest commitments are 2+ years. Shortest ones are 8 months.
1) If you were paid, I'd put it down as employment and make the leadership aspects clear in the description

2) I would group all 3 together. Some activities you can classify multiple ways. I think leadership or community service-non-clinical would fit best for grouping all of them

3) The general idea is not to even list clubs you are just a member of. If you really wanted to, you could group them all together with other hobby-type activities in a single listing. If you were active in a club that was involved with community service, then feel free to list it as a community service activity.

4) Yes, leadership

5) If you legitimately have 15 activities, then it's not bad to fill up all of the slots. It's only bad if you're trying to stretch your activities to make them look better

If I've served in different capacities in 1 organization, should I list them separately?

For my Fire Department:
Interior Firefighter/EMT/Officer
Director/Committee Chair
Swift Water Rescuer

Members don't see this ad :)
If I've served in different capacities in 1 organization, should I list them separately?

For my Fire Department:
Interior Firefighter/EMT/Officer
Director/Committee Chair
Swift Water Rescuer
You may do so. This can be done if the 15-activity limitation won't keep you from listing more-recent essential activites and particularly if you need the extra characters to adequately describe each activity. Or you can combine a few of them. Either choice is fine.

Thanks,
I'll probably list the administrative and emergency positions as 2 separate things, and elaborate on each of them.

Also, my team is receiving honors for heroism from the Township for a water rescue we did, should I list this in the narrative or as a separate "experience"?

Last edited:
Thanks,
I'll probably list the administrative and emergency positions as 2 separate things, and elaborate on each of them.

Also, my team is receiving honors for heroism from the Township for a water rescue we did, should I list this in the narrative or as a separate "experience"?
You can do either, or you can include it with all other Honors and Awards in a single listing.

If you'd like to keep it with the related Experience (my preference), but need more space, keep in mind that you can designate three activities as "Most Meaningful" and get more characters to describe everything properly.

I've done a cursory search on this thread and didn't find anything, but regardless if I'm repeating a question kindly link me to the answer and accept my apologies.

How's it look if I supply a link or URL to a site for a work/activities description? I'm thinking one of my activities will be my stonemasonry and carpentry project that I spent roughly 9 months on, transforming my 9'x9' concrete slab patio into a 14x20 deck and 16x20 stone patio, complete with a stone sitting wall, firepit and vine covered pergola over top. Modeled it using a 3D CAD program and carried out the design execution in its entirety. It's really impressive and I'm proud of it but I think a site with pictures would add much more to the description.

So I'm fairly certain I can provide an address to my picasa or whatever site I use to host the pics, but will adcoms actually look at it? Would this be something that will help set me apart from the herd?

thanks!

1) How's it look if I supply a link or URL to a site for a work/activities description? I'm thinking one of my activities will be my stonemasonry and carpentry project that I spent roughly 9 months on, transforming my 9'x9' concrete slab patio into a 14x20 deck and 16x20 stone patio, complete with a stone sitting wall, firepit and vine covered pergola over top. Modeled it using a 3D CAD program and carried out the design execution in its entirety. It's really impressive and I'm proud of it but I think a site with pictures would add much more to the description.

2) will adcoms actually look at it? Would this be something that will help set me apart from the herd?
1) This is a fine idea.

2) Adcomms with an interest wll look at it. Every adcomm won't, so maybe bring a photo in case the subject comes up. Regardless, stonemasonry is not a common artistic endeavor and should help you stand out.

You can do either, or you can include it with all other Honors and Awards in a single listing.

If you'd like to keep it with the related Experience (my preference), but need more space, keep in mind that you can designate three activities as "Most Meaningful" and get more characters to describe everything properly.

Okay, so there is quite a bit of flexibility.

Thanks!

Could I include creative writing published in campus literary magazines under the Publications heading?
Thanks!

Since I was about 10 years old, I have helped my mother take care of my severely mentally and physically disabled older brother. I have helped feed him, administer his medications, change his diapers, and with his "routine" surgeries, I have also cleaned and redressed his wounds. This is part of why I am pursuing a career in medicine - would I put this on the EC list and describe it as other, or would is this generally not acceptable? Also, who would I list as a contact for affirmation of this? Could I list my brothers primary physician?

Since I was about 10 years old, I have helped my mother take care of my severely mentally and physically disabled older brother. I have helped feed him, administer his medications, change his diapers, and with his "routine" surgeries, I have also cleaned and redressed his wounds. This is part of why I am pursuing a career in medicine - would I put this on the EC list and describe it as other, or would is this generally not acceptable? Also, who would I list as a contact for affirmation of this? Could I list my brothers primary physician?

This sounds more appropriate for your personal statement, in my opinion, especially given that this factors into your motivation.

This would generally be considered unacceptable to list since it's more of a family thing than an extracurricular thing. The same goes for things like raising kids if you are a parent, etc. Your personal statement would be a great place to mention it if it was influential, just like maubs said. I wouldn't dwell on it too much though

This has been an extremely formative experience in your life. I think it would be acceptable to list under Other, using your mom or the doc as a contact, focusing mostly on duties that go beyond those you'd have if you babysat a 1-year old and their impact on you. It would not be acceptable to list it under Community Service/Volunteer-Medical/Clinical, since this is a family member. If you list it as an activity, then it should include supplemental information beyond what you mention in the PS. Don't duplicate.

This would generally be considered unacceptable to list since it's more of a family thing than an extracurricular thing. The same goes for things like raising kids if you are a parent, etc. Your personal statement would be a great place to mention it if it was influential, just like maubs said. I wouldn't dwell on it too much though

Hi all, I appreciate your input. I actually opened up my PS with this and it takes up about 2200 of the 5300 word limit. Would one of you who have posted above mind terribly taking a look at this excerpt from my PS and let me know if it seems like I am dwelling on it or if it comes across as something that I have grown from and leaves me poised to be a good physician?

Is this a taboo thing to do on SDN? I'm kinda new so....

Thanks!

Please PM me if you are available to so and I will send it along, if this is advisable of course.

Hi all,
During my Ecology class, part of the lab involved doing research on the local watershed. Every few weeks small groups (4 or 5) of students would go to the site assigned to them to conduct various tests. We would then come back to the lab and perform more tests and record the results. We were required to keep a lab notebook with protocols, a journal of each day we conducted tests, and at the end an analysis of some of the data we collected. My question is whether or not this would go under research experience? This was the first semester this class began doing this research so it wasn't like we came to any significant conclusions (ecological studies can take years and years of data collection to come up with much of substance.)
Thanks!

Hi all,
During my Ecology class, part of the lab involved doing research on the local watershed. Every few weeks small groups (4 or 5) of students would go to the site assigned to them to conduct various tests. We would then come back to the lab and perform more tests and record the results. We were required to keep a lab notebook with protocols, a journal of each day we conducted tests, and at the end an analysis of some of the data we collected. My question is whether or not this would go under research experience? This was the first semester this class began doing this research so it wasn't like we came to any significant conclusions (ecological studies can take years and years of data collection to come up with much of substance.)
Thanks!
Honestly, from the way you describe your involvement, it doesn't sound like enough of a time commitment to impress anyone. Do you think this will enhance your application? Can you provide a knowledgeable overview of the hypothesis, study design, data collection, and possible end points?

I would tend to agree with you Catalystik. :p I figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask. There was not really a specific hypothesis. It was more of acollect data and see what we get type of project. And I think the main idea also is to monitor the creek over several years and see what kinds of trends occur/ note any abnormal levels of chemicals/ions and what those abnormalities may indicate. I So yeah I would tend to agree that it may not be significant enough to mention. I don't have any research experience otherwise (except for something we did in a freshman class which was more of an introduction to research and not super duper scientific) so I figured I might as well ask. :)
Thanks!

2 questions!

I want to group all my shadowing experience as a single entry (I'm a non-trad 28 yo o god o god when did I get this old?), but what should I write for contact name and contact info? I've shadowed 5 different physicians, in 2 states, over a 5 year period. Though it would be easier to separate them as different entries, that is a) weird, b) unadvisable as per general consensus, and c) would leave no space for other ECs that are worth mentioning.

How do I get around this? I'm strongly considering simply listing my pre-med advisor as a contact, and then enumerating each physician in the description.

Also, I published a collection of poems during college, written in my native Spanish. Didn't sell very well, but I'm OK not being the next Oscar Wilde. Right now, I'm working on an 'epic' poem (think Ilyad, only not as good) and I've submitted several manuscripts to a local publisher. But! I'm afraid listing these activities might label me as a pretentious douche (this is how I think of poets in general). Should I go ahead and include it anyway? Would AdComs really care if I published poetry?

Thanks in advance!

PS- In other news, I'd really appreciate it if one of the venerable elders at SDN took a quick look at my personal statement.

1) I want to group all my shadowing experience as a single entry . . . but what should I write for contact name and contact info? I've shadowed 5 different physicians, in 2 states, over a 5 year period.

How do I get around this? I'm strongly considering simply listing my pre-med advisor as a contact, and then enumerating each physician in the description.

2) Also, I published a collection of poems during college, written in my native Spanish. Didn't sell very well, but I'm OK not being the next Oscar Wilde. Right now, I'm working on an 'epic' poem (think Ilyad, only not as good) and I've submitted several manuscripts to a local publisher. But! I'm afraid listing these activities might label me as a pretentious douche (this is how I think of poets in general). Should I go ahead and include it anyway? Would AdComs really care if I published poetry?
1) Most applicants group all their shadowing. I suggest listing the most recent shadowed doc with a decent number of hours as the main contact, or your advisor if they feel comforatable attesting to it. If the former, then in the narrative, you'll list the name, specialty, dates, and hours along with an email or phone contact, where possible for the other docs.

2) I'd list published, submitted and in-progress poems under Artistic Endeavor, rather than Hobbies. This helps you stand out.

Keep your eye out for the Volunteer PS Readers thread. One is created every year.

I'm sorry; I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't read through this all.

I have 14 slots filled with a lot of grouping, as I've done a lot of schtuff!

My first slot is research and will be using it as a 'meaningful' one.

1. I was the third author listed on a poster that was presented at a National conference by the first author. Can I include this?
2. Is it better to use the separate publications category for a paper I will be an author on or is it okay to include it under research?

Thanks so much!!

I'm sorry; I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't read through this all.

I have 14 slots filled with a lot of grouping, as I've done a lot of schtuff!

My first slot is research and will be using it as a 'meaningful' one.

1. I was the third author listed on a poster that was presented at a National conference by the first author. Can I include this?
2. Is it better to use the separate publications category for a paper I will be an author on or is it okay to include it under research?
1) Yes, but be sure to give credit to the actual presenter.

2) If the paper has not yet been accepted, then include mention of it in the Research narrative with related information. If it has been accepted and is citable, it deserves its own space, provided it will appear in a regional or national journal. If it will be in a campus journal, include it in the Research space. If the publication covers the same data as the poster/presentation, then only list it under Publication, but mention the poster in the same space.

Last edited:
1) Yes, but be sure to give credit to the actual presenter.

2) If the paper has not yet been accepted, then include mention of it in the Research narrative with related information. If it has been accepted and is citable, it deserves its own space, provided it will appear in a regional or national journal. If it will be in a campus journal, include it in the Research space. If the publication covers the same data as the poster/presentation, then only list it under Publication, but mention the poster in the same space.

Does your response to number 2 apply to patents pending, applications issued, and granted? Some of the stuff I filed 4 years ago has only now shown up as pending. The backlog at the uspto is massive.

Does your response to number 2 apply to patents pending, applications issued, and granted? Some of the stuff I filed 4 years ago has only now shown up as pending. The backlog at the uspto is massive.
That seems logical, but I don't have experience in this area, so I can't respond authoritatively. I don't know the implication or relative prestigiousness of 'patent pending' vs 'holding a patent', nor the likelihood of receiving a patent if one applies for one. Consider posting this in the main PreAllo Forum with a title that will get the attention of those in the know (rather than those willing to guess). Or, if you are patient, maybe LizzyM will check in here and answer.

Last edited:

It might be reasonable (depending on how many other items you have to report) to list "patent pending" as "other" separate from any report of "research" or "employment" although you could choose to downplay the patent by folding it into an entry describing the reseach or employment. It's your call and depends on how many other things you have to report. That said, patents pending might impress some adcom members at some schools.

1) So I've read a lot of the posts on this thread and a lot of people are debating about the designations. My question is, " Is it really all that important which designation I list?" As a Peace Corps volunteer this experience would fall under teaching, volunteer, and (with the right argument) paid employment. What factors should I think about when picking a designation and should this be something I lose sleep over? It just seems like a lot of people are stressed about it and I'm not sure if I should be too.

2) I submitted a nonfiction essay about Asian Americans in NYC to a contest. They are publishing it as part of a book (collection of essays) by a Professor at a college in NYC. I haven't seen the book or done much research into it (been in Cambodia for the past 2 years). Should I include this in publications?

1) So I've read a lot of the posts on this thread and a lot of people are debating about the designations. My question is, " Is it really all that important which designation I list?" As a Peace Corps volunteer this experience would fall under teaching, volunteer, and (with the right argument) paid employment. What factors should I think about when picking a designation and should this be something I lose sleep over? It just seems like a lot of people are stressed about it and I'm not sure if I should be too.

2) I submitted a nonfiction essay about Asian Americans in NYC to a contest. They are publishing it as part of a book (collection of essays) by a Professor at a college in NYC. I haven't seen the book or done much research into it (been in Cambodia for the past 2 years). Should I include this in publications?
1) A given activity often qualifies for multiple designations. I think it's a good idea to include in your decision-making what will make the application look most balanced. Eg, if you already have three teaching activities, pick a category you haven't used yet. As you might imagine, the naive applier (and maybe nonSDNers especially) might mislabel an Experience. But no worries, as the description of the activity is more important than the lable to adcomms.

2) You could, but personally, I'd suggest you include it under Artistic Endeavors instead, or even Hobbies/Awards/Recognitions, especially if you plan to apply to research-oriented schools. None of these choices is incorrect.

1) How much do adcoms know about pharmacy residencies and what clinical pharmacists do? (FYI - a pharmacy residency is a year long optional program with 12 different rotations - ie 1 per month) How much detail should I include about each rotation? Like worked up every patient on the MICU service prior to rounds, attended rounds, answered drug information questions, provided drug therapy recommendations, present when physicians performed bedside procedures and helped them with dosing the medications like etomidate, attended codes and helped administer medications, etc.

2) Also in my residencies and my jobs I have given numerous presentations and continuing educations for pharmacists and pharmacy technicinas (I've lost count because it's over 10), what's the best way to list them?

3) I have also presented two posters at SCCM (2 different research projects) and two posters (another different research project) at a national pharmacy meeting - what's the best way to list those?

4) Can I use abreviations like MICU and SICU? Not because I want to use up every character, just to make it easier to read.

Thanks so much in advance!

1) How much do adcoms know about pharmacy residencies and what clinical pharmacists do? (FYI - a pharmacy residency is a year long optional program with 12 different rotations - ie 1 per month) How much detail should I include about each rotation? Like worked up every patient on the MICU service prior to rounds, attended rounds, answered drug information questions, provided drug therapy recommendations, present when physicians performed bedside procedures and helped them with dosing the medications like etomidate, attended codes and helped administer medications, etc.

2) Also in my residencies and my jobs I have given numerous presentations and continuing educations for pharmacists and pharmacy technicinas (I've lost count because it's over 10), what's the best way to list them?

3) I have also presented two posters at SCCM (2 different research projects) and two posters (another different research project) at a national pharmacy meeting - what's the best way to list those?

4) Can I use abreviations like MICU and SICU? Not because I want to use up every character, just to make it easier to read.
1) I would put as much information about the rotations as you can fit. Adcomms vary widely in their backgrounds and can't be relied on to be knowledgeable about the training details for another field.

2) I would list it under Teaching, giving the talk title (where you can recall them) and date.

3) Unless it took place at a campus research symposium (which would be listed in the same space as the affiliated Research), list them under Posters/Presentations with one entry (the most prestigious) for each project you were involved in where the data was the same. If the same data was presented elsewhere, mention it in the narrative for the first entry. If you are pressed for space, you might cram them all into one space. If any of the work was published, that entry takes precedence in prestigiousness, and then associated posters/presentations are listed in the same space with it, rather than on their own.

4) Try to spell out each abbreviation at least once in an entry.

I've worked at a golf course for the past 7 years and a good chunk of my meaningful teaching, leardership, and work experience are related to this job. The problem is, I'm not sure how I can articulate all of these aspects if it can only be listed under one heading. If I only list it under one heading, I will look seriously deficient in the other listings. So a couple questions....(I apologize in advance for how convoluted this is)

1. Is it appropriate to list the 5 years I worked as a non-supervisor under work experience and the 2 years I worked as a supervisor under leadership? What further muddies the waters is the fact that the company I worked for in the first 5 years of employment was bought by another company (which made me a supervisor) for the last 2 years. So I technically worked at the same place all 7 years, but two different companies.

2. I was part of a group that taught and supervised a golf program for kids while working for the golf course. This is where it get's wonky. For six years, teaching the golf program was part of my duties as an employee of the golf course. For the last year, I was changed to a contract employee solely for the golf program (though still employed by the same company) and was paid by the children's parents and not the coures itself, as was the case in the past. My question is can I break off all 7 years of this and list it under teaching, only break off the last year, or none at all?

Thanks!

I've worked at a golf course for the past 7 years and a good chunk of my meaningful teaching, leardership, and work experience are related to this job. The problem is, I'm not sure how I can articulate all of these aspects if it can only be listed under one heading. If I only list it under one heading, I will look seriously deficient in the other listings. So a couple questions....(I apologize in advance for how convoluted this is)

1. Is it appropriate to list the 5 years I worked as a non-supervisor under work experience and the 2 years I worked as a supervisor under leadership? What further muddies the waters is the fact that the company I worked for in the first 5 years of employment was bought by another company (which made me a supervisor) for the last 2 years. So I technically worked at the same place all 7 years, but two different companies.

2. I was part of a group that taught and supervised a golf program for kids while working for the golf course. This is where it get's wonky. For six years, teaching the golf program was part of my duties as an employee of the golf course. For the last year, I was changed to a contract employee solely for the golf program (though still employed by the same company) and was paid by the children's parents and not the coures itself, as was the case in the past. My question is can I break off all 7 years of this and list it under teaching, only break off the last year, or none at all?

Thanks!
1) It would be fine to separate that out into two activities. It will be interesting that you'll list two companies but maybe have the same contact person and location.

2) You can break off all the teaching and list it together, but don't count the same hours twice that you already put under Employment, or Leadership. I don't think that adcomms will care much who paid you.

1) It would be fine to separate that out into two activities. It will be interesting that you'll list two companies but maybe have the same contact person and location.

2) You can break off all the teaching and list it together, but don't count the same hours twice that you already put under Employment, or Leadership. I don't think that adcomms will care much who paid you.

Awesome! That's what I was hoping for. Also, yes, the contact info and location will be exactly the same.

As always, your help is much appreciated Catalystik.

So quick question...

I'm including in my ECs my current job as a research associate at a statistical consulting firm. As part of this, I've contributed research and analysis to papers presented at conferences/panels on healthcare policy and scientific trends. How do I go about listing some of these? Would it be OK to list this employment as one of the most valuable ECs AND elaborate on it through my personal statement?

I'm including in my ECs my current job as a research associate at a statistical consulting firm. As part of this, I've contributed research and analysis to papers presented at conferences/panels on healthcare policy and scientific trends.

1) How do I go about listing some of these?
2) Would it be OK to list this employment as one of the most valuable ECs AND elaborate on it through my personal statement?
1) I am not entirely clear on exactly what you do. Where you contributed research data and your name is on a paper you can cite it and discuss your role under Research. Where your firm was hired for the specific purpose of data analysis, presumably, your name is not on those papers, so I am reluctant to suggest citing them, as this would be confusing to a reader as to your level of involvement. I'd suggest that a general description of your contribution would be preferred. And I'd use the Employment category.

2) Yes, but it is preferred that you do not duplicate too much information between the two essays.

1) I am not entirely clear on exactly what you do. Where you contributed research data and your name is on a paper you can cite it and discuss your role under Research. Where your firm was hired for the specific purpose of data analysis, presumably, your name is not on those papers, so I am reluctant to suggest citing them, as this would be confusing to a reader as to your level of involvement. I'd suggest that a general description of your contribution would be preferred. And I'd use the Employment category.

2) Yes, but it is preferred that you do not duplicate too much information between the two essays.

Hm. I see. OK let me give you an example of what I mean. Suppose we get hired by XYZ company to find emerging markets for a new medical technology. On the course of that research, we discover which technologies have the best economic outlook under varying sets of circumstances, and decide to present the results at a conference.

I thought I'd include some of those -the ones I was most personally involved with- in my PS, with the employment information on the ECs -as a 'most valuable'. I'd also give my direct supervisor's contact info (he's also writing me an LoR). Would this be advisable?

Thanks for your responses btw, I'm obsessing about this whole application process.

Hm. I see. OK let me give you an example of what I mean. Suppose we get hired by XYZ company to find emerging markets for a new medical technology. On the course of that research, we discover which technologies have the best economic outlook under varying sets of circumstances, and decide to present the results at a conference.

I thought I'd include some of those -the ones I was most personally involved with- in my PS, with the employment information on the ECs -as a 'most valuable'. I'd also give my direct supervisor's contact info (he's also writing me an LoR). Would this be advisable?

Thanks for your responses btw, I'm obsessing about this whole application process.
Hmmm. I totally didn't see what you meant. Apparently you are not referring to hypothesis-based Research, but rather something more like economic forecasting/modeling, of a sort, as a special project, possibly team-based? Still a guess, but hopefully, I'm getting closer.

Are you sure you want to discuss this in your PS which is supposed to be about Why medicine?

In the Employment narrative, why not include a list of some you felt you made the most contribution to, discussing them in general terms (not too much economic jargon, considering your audience), and that your data was presented at XXX Conference, in XXX City, on xx/xx/xx date, by so-n-so.

The LOR would be fine, so long as you haven't exceeded the stated requirements for a school.

Hmmm. I totally didn't see what you meant. Apparently you are not referring to hypothesis-based Research, but rather something more like economic forecasting/modeling, of a sort, as a special project, possibly team-based? Still a guess, but hopefully, I'm getting closer.

Are you sure you want to discuss this in your PS which is supposed to be about Why medicine?

In the Employment narrative, why not include a list of some you felt you made the most contribution to, discussing them in general terms (not too much economic jargon, considering your audience), and that your data was presented at XXX Conference, in XXX City, on xx/xx/xx date, by so-n-so.

The LOR would be fine, so long as you haven't exceeded the stated requirements for a school.

Awesome. Thank you! I have a much better idea how to approach the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.