*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I volunteer over 100 hours at my local hospital from July 2010-present. However, my volunteering was sporadic and I went when I had time. I had two surgeries the past year, a death in the family, and completed all of my medical prereqs in that time, so it was difficult for me to commit a given number of hours per week.

So how do I list my numbers per week? Do I leave it blank do I average it? Averaging it would only leave me with 1.92 hours per week...
I would put in the rounded average of 2 hours per week and explain in the narrative that you worked ~100 total at 4 hours per week (or whatever) intermittently over the indicated time span. This is common due to school breaks anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

I was curious about the length of the descriptions and some other questions.

First of all, if I am deciding to "lump up" some awards, do I just list them in the description box or do I put those in sentence form? An example would help :)

Also, if I am lumping "shadowing experiences" do I again list the descriptions or do I just do one paragraph? Along with the different shadowing experiences, do I place the multiple contact information within the description since there is only one box for that?

Lastly, a few more questions. I understand that we can only choose three different activities as "most meaningful." However, I am somewhat confused as in what I should place within the description boxes for activities that we don't note as "most meaningful." Do we still reflect on how we grew from it or do I simply talk about what I did? For the activities, that are "most meaningful," do we simply describe it in the description box and then reflect in the "most meaningful" box? For all of these, should I aim to be concise within the descriptions?

Sorry for the long message!

1) First of all, if I am deciding to "lump up" some awards, do I just list them in the description box or do I put those in sentence form? An example would help :)

2) Also, if I am lumping "shadowing experiences" do I again list the descriptions or do I just do one paragraph? Along with the different shadowing experiences, do I place the multiple contact information within the description since there is only one box for that?

3) Lastly, a few more questions. I understand that we can only choose three different activities as "most meaningful." However,
a) I am somewhat confused as in what I should place within the description boxes for activities that we don't note as "most meaningful." Do we still reflect on how we grew from it or do I simply talk about what I did?
b) For the activities, that are "most meaningful," do we simply describe it in the description box and then reflect in the "most meaningful" box?
c) For all of these, should I aim to be concise within the descriptions?
1) I would use bullets.

2) You don't need much description for shadowing, as everyone knows what it entails. For each, list date span, total hours, name, specialty, and contact info. Give a grand total at the end of the box.

3) a. List what you did. I doubt you will have much space for reflection, but that's OK to do too.
b. That is what AMCAS suggests, however feel free to be creative as this "Most Meanigful" designation is new and you don't have to follow the guideline.
c. Succinctness is always appreciated by the adcomm reader. Say what needs to be said, without fluff, and then stop, even if space remains.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I would use bullets.

2) You don't need much description for shadowing, as everyone knows what it entails. For each, list date span, total hours, name, specialty, and contact info. Give a grand total at the end of the box.

3) a. List what you did. I doubt you will have much space for reflection, but that's OK to do too.
b. That is what AMCAS suggests, however feel free to be creative as this "Most Meanigful" designation is new and you don't have to follow the guideline.
c. Succinctness is always appreciated by the adcomm reader. Say what needs to be said, without fluff, and then stop, even if space remains.

For the first question. Do I just use bullets and give a description of the award or is the title enough?

For the second question, for some of my experience, it was somewhat intermittent, should I simply estimate as close as possible?

I'm still a little unsure on the description boxes. So for the ones that aren't noted as "most meaningful," shall I still reflect on those? And then for the ones that are, reflect why they are and how I grew from it? Is it okay to use either bullets or paragraph form?

For the first question. Do I just use bullets and give a description of the award or is the title enough?

For the second question, for some of my experience, it was somewhat intermittent, should I simply estimate as close as possible?

I'm still a little unsure on the description boxes. So for the ones that aren't noted as "most meaningful," shall I still reflect on those? And then for the ones that are, reflect why they are and how I grew from it? Is it okay to use either bullets or paragraph form?
If the title is self evident, eg deans list, there is no need to discuss further. If the award, honor, scholarship, would not be recognizable by an off campus person, then give the criteria for receiving it.

Be honest and do your best to give a fair estimate on shadowing hours.

Each narrative box can be handled differently: bullets or narrative, reflect or not, as seems best to express what you want to say. The style need not be consistent throughout.

This probably a little early for me but,
on the application, is there a seperate section for paid jobs (tutor) other then the activities/extracurriculars section? And is there a seperate section for shadowing? Research? or are all those things put into th 15 slots of activities?

This probably a little early for me but,
on the application, is there a seperate section for paid jobs (tutor) other then the activities/extracurriculars section? And is there a seperate section for shadowing? Research? or are all those things put into th 15 slots of activities?
The "Experience" section includes Paid Employment-not Military, Teaching, Research, and Other (which is the designation to choose for shadowing), among many others. You have 15 spaces to list the most important entries.

If the title is self evident, eg deans list, there is no need to discuss further. If the award, honor, scholarship, would not be recognizable by an off campus person, then give the criteria for receiving it.

Be honest and do your best to give a fair estimate on shadowing hours.

Each narrative box can be handled differently: bullets or narrative, reflect or not, as seems best to express what you want to say. The style need not be consistent throughout.

Thanks, for the awards, if I am lumping them, then what should I enter into the Experience Name, Award Date and Contact Name if there are about 4 or 5 I was going to list?

Also, how would I go about speaking about my hobbies such as constant exercising and participating in competitive basketball?

1) Thanks, for the awards, if I am lumping them, then what should I enter into the Experience Name, Award Date and Contact Name if there are about 4 or 5 I was going to list?

2) Also, how would I go about speaking about my hobbies such as constant exercising and participating in competitive basketball?
1) I'd put the most significant one. Contact for most of them can be your Registrar's Office.

2) Most put all Hobbies together. You can list yourself, a parent, or a roommate as a contact. Say about them what you wish adcomms to know, possibly in a way that reveals other elements of your personality that would be good characteristics in a physician.

Do we put shadowing experiences in Work/Activities?

Yes. Read the earlier posts in this thread for more advice.

Thanks, I'll try but 1,666 posts is a bit much.

I'll do my best but can anyone give some extra advice (Sorry if this sounds lazy but this is a huge thread)

Thanks, I'll try but 1,666 posts is a bit much.

I'll do my best but can anyone give some extra advice (Sorry if this sounds lazy but this is a huge thread)

Search. Seriously. Also, what advice are you looking for? You haven't asked a specific question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we put shadowing experiences in Work/Activities?

Yes, it will be listed under 'other'. My suggestion would be to group all of the experiences together in the same activity description in order to avoid making it look like your fluffing your app. For the contact info, pick any one of the docs and list his/her in the appropriate fields, while listing the others' contact info in the actual activity description. No need for a thorough description of the experience since AdComs have a good idea of what shadowing entails already.

Search. Seriously. Also, what advice are you looking for? You haven't asked a specific question.

I am searching. Noone has to post anything and I understand if they would rather not. (I kind of understand why someone wouldn't want to post the same information twice though so I see where you're coming from)

Just general information and tips.

Yes, it will be listed under 'other'. My suggestion would be to group all of the experiences together in the same activity description in order to avoid making it look like your fluffing your app. For the contact info, pick any one of the docs and list his/her in the appropriate fields, while listing the others' contact info in the actual activity description. No need for a thorough description of the experience since AdComs have a good idea of what shadowing entails already.

Thanks! That sounds great.

So, I've done much of my shadowing with a single doctor who is writing me a letter, and I have no qualms about entering her name in the app.

I also did a couple of one-offs, and couldn't come back because in one case it's not permitted for pre-meds to shadow very frequently in that department, and in another case the physician needed to train an assistant and didn't have time.

I know shadowing should be entered as one "Other" entry. I would think I should list all the doctors I've shadowed, but I'm a little confused.

Couple of things:

For the one-offs, I'm not sure if it's polite to write them and ask if I can put their names in my med school app. But in total they contributed substantially to the total number of hours I've shadowed, which is relatively small, and I don't want to leave these off.

Also, one of them was a rounding team. My point of contact was a particular doctor, but I wound up shadowing the rounding team for the second half of the morning, at the suggestion of one of her residents. So should I ask that doctor what to put in about it?

HALP I don't want to be a creeper!

Is there anyone here that is willing to look over my work/activities entries??? PLEASE? I've read through so many of these posts but I wish I could find more concrete examples of how to actually list/describe entries. I'm sure there are plenty out there but at that moment I am having no luck- and with my three year old nephew throwing a tantrum every two minutes it makes it a little difficult to stay focused.

Thank you!

1) I'd put the most significant one. Contact for most of them can be your Registrar's Office.

2) Most put all Hobbies together. You can list yourself, a parent, or a roommate as a contact. Say about them what you wish adcomms to know, possibly in a way that reveals other elements of your personality that would be good characteristics in a physician.

Great, thanks. Could I just enter "Dean's list/Awards? Also, how would I enter "registrar office" into the Contact first name, last name and title?

Also, for the hobbies section. It may sound like a simple stupid question but what exactly should I put for the start and end date? Lastly, if I list myself as a contact, what would be my title?

Last edited:
1) I would use bullets.

In regards to the shadowing, if it was multiple doctors, who shall I put down for the contact information. I will put the additional contact information within the description box but what about the first one I enter?

In regards to the shadowing, if it was multiple doctors, who shall I put down for the contact information. I will put the additional contact information within the description box but what about the first one I enter?

If there's a physician you spent more time with than others, use that person. Or if there's one who is more senior, use that person.

So, I've done much of my shadowing with a single doctor who is writing me a letter, and I have no qualms about entering her name in the app.

I also did a couple of one-offs, and couldn't come back because in one case it's not permitted for pre-meds to shadow very frequently in that department, and in another case the physician needed to train an assistant and didn't have time.

I know shadowing should be entered as one "Other" entry. I would think I should list all the doctors I've shadowed, but I'm a little confused.

Couple of things:

For the one-offs, I'm not sure if it's polite to write them and ask if I can put their names in my med school app. But in total they contributed substantially to the total number of hours I've shadowed, which is relatively small, and I don't want to leave these off.

Also, one of them was a rounding team. My point of contact was a particular doctor, but I wound up shadowing the rounding team for the second half of the morning, at the suggestion of one of her residents. So should I ask that doctor what to put in about it?

HALP I don't want to be a creeper!
Just list the main doctor in the header with all his contact information. For the other two that represented few hours, just list their names at the end of the narrative, after a "Also shadowed: "and institutions/specialties/total hours/dates, and don't worry about specific contact info.

1) Great, thanks. Could I just enter "Dean's list/Awards? Also, how would I enter "registrar office" into the Contact first name, last name and title?

Also, for the hobbies section. It may sound like a simple stupid question but what exactly should I put for the start and end date?

3) Lastly, if I list myself as a contact, what would be my title?
1) First name ="Registrars". Last name=Office. Title=Registrar. Or you can call the office and find out the person's name.

2) When you started, then, until present. Don't fill in the hours per week, just describe your level of involvement in the narrative.

3) Ms or Mr.

Just list the main doctor in the header with all his contact information. For the other two that represented few hours, just list their names at the end of the narrative, after a "Also shadowed: "and institutions/specialties/total hours/dates, and don't worry about specific contact info.

Okay, thanks!

Also: I'm using shadowing as one of my most meaningful experiences and writing up the narrative of an encounter I witnessed in the "most meaningful" box. Is it expected that I should or shouldn't name the doctor in these kinds of stories?

I'm also trying to figure out what kinds of details to put in, or avoid, to give enough background and avoid confidentiality problems (I know HIPAA, but I also know confidentiality goes beyond that.) Pointers would be helpful.

EDIT: Oh and moar questions:

I have a scattering of one-off volunteer experiences, the predominant one of which was a public health event, but which did not involve clinical stuff. Some other volunteer experiences are semi-clinical (like doing intake for a bone marrow drive.) I'd like to put them in a bucket entry, but am not sure whether it's OK to pick "non-clinical community service" and then put some clinical stuff in there. What do people think?

Also, will it be looked on askance if I skip the "honors/awards/recognitions" section? I had a family benefit cover much of college so never needed to apply for scholarships, and then much of my coursework was pass/fail or narrative evals until recently, so if I created such a section it would look pretty scanty. On the other hand, I'm really not sure where to put certifications earned: do they go here or somewhere else?

Last edited:
I asked this in another thread but thought it might be more appropriate here. I know many people (and presumably adcoms as well?) are wary of international medical volunteering and the potential ethical pitfalls associated with premeds engaging in patient care.

I've done work in Africa and Asia and these experiences were a few of my most meaningful. (I indicated as such on AMCAS.) On one of my AMCAS entries, I wrote that I helped with "taking vital signs, cleaning wounds, assisting in basic procedures (ex. suturing)". I just wanted your opinion on whether or not this sounds suspect? By "cleaning wounds", I mean using a sponge and water, and by "assisting in basic procedures (ex. suturing)", I mean observing the procedure over the physician's shoulder and occasionally handing him thread/gauze/needles.

1) I'm using shadowing as one of my most meaningful experiences and writing up the narrative of an encounter I witnessed in the "most meaningful" box. Is it expected that I should or shouldn't name the doctor in these kinds of stories?

2) I'm also trying to figure out what kinds of details to put in, or avoid, to give enough background and avoid confidentiality problems (I know HIPAA, but I also know confidentiality goes beyond that.) Pointers would be helpful.

3) I have a scattering of one-off volunteer experiences, the predominant one of which was a public health event, but which did not involve clinical stuff. Some other volunteer experiences are semi-clinical (like doing intake for a bone marrow drive.) I'd like to put them in a bucket entry, but am not sure whether it's OK to pick "non-clinical community service" and then put some clinical stuff in there. What do people think?

4) Also, will it be looked on askance if I skip the "honors/awards/recognitions" section? I had a family benefit cover much of college so never needed to apply for scholarships, and then much of my coursework was pass/fail or narrative evals until recently, so if I created such a section it would look pretty scanty.

5) On the other hand, I'm really not sure where to put certifications earned: do they go here or somewhere else?
1) Give the doc a coded designation.

2) Protect the privacy of patients by changing their names and enough other unimportant details so their identity is obscurred.

3) Name the activity "Short-Term Community Service" and everything is covered. A bit of mix and match is OK.

4) That's fine. No one will miss it.

5) They go with the activity for which they were useful. If they weren't used, they are not helpful anyway.

I asked this in another thread but thought it might be more appropriate here. I know many people (and presumably adcoms as well?) are wary of international medical volunteering and the potential ethical pitfalls associated with premeds engaging in patient care.

I've done work in Africa and Asia and these experiences were a few of my most meaningful. (I indicated as such on AMCAS.) On one of my AMCAS entries, I wrote that I helped with "taking vital signs, cleaning wounds, assisting in basic procedures (ex. suturing)". I just wanted your opinion on whether or not this sounds suspect? By "cleaning wounds", I mean using a sponge and water, and by "assisting in basic procedures (ex. suturing)", I mean observing the procedure over the physician's shoulder and occasionally handing him thread/gauze/needles.
I don't think you've overstepped AAMC Guidelines for volunteer positions abroad. Instead of "cleaning" wounds, why not say "sponging" wounds clean. And you could say, "assisted by handing supplies to the physician and then observed wound repair."

Last edited:
I don't think you've overstepped AAMC Guidelines for volunteer positions abroad. Instead of "cleaning" wounds, why not say "sponging" wounds clean. And you could say, "assisted by handing supplies to the physician and then observed wound repair."

Unfortunately I submitted my application awhile ago, and didn't think anything of this wording until today. Should I include a clarification in an update, or do you think that's not necessary?

So it should be alright for me to write each of the descriptions with bullets with nice succinctness and then reflect upon it? Then for the most meaningful, basically just reflect on how I personally grew from it and what I learned?

Also, I've written a couple descriptions (not including most meaningful) and the total word count was a bit above 200. Does that seem too short? I felt like I explained what it was enough and also reflected on what I gained from it. Lastly, is it okay for lengths of descriptions between experiences to differ from one being a lot shorter to another being possibly a couple hundred words longer because I feel like some experiences you will obviously have a lot more to talk about (ex: small school job vs. club leadership position)

Last edited:
1) Give the doc a coded designation.

2) Protect the privacy of patients by changing their names and enough other unimportant details so their identity is obscurred.

3) Name the activity "Short-Term Community Service" and everything is covered. A bit of mix and match is OK.

4) That's fine. No one will miss it.

5) They go with the activity for which they were useful. If they weren't used, they are not helpful anyway.

Super, thanks! These are all extremely helpful pointers. I was driving myself nuts with "OMG DOES THIS FIT IN THIS CATEGORY OR NOT." (Now I'll have to drive myself nuts in some other fashion. Heh.)

...For the record, now I'm wondering: of the categorical designations (written in short - Employment, Clinical volunteering, Nonclinical volunteering, Research, Teaching, Awards, Conferences, Presentations/posters, Publications, Hobbies, Leadership, Artistic, Other - leaving out military and athletics because they obviously don't apply to everyone) which are the most important / the ones without which the app will look deficient?

I'm wondering: of the categorical designations (written in short - Employment, Clinical volunteering, Nonclinical volunteering, Research, Teaching, Awards, Conferences, Presentations/posters, Publications, Hobbies, Leadership, Artistic, Other - leaving out military and athletics because they obviously don't apply to everyone) which are the most important / the ones without which the app will look deficient?
I'm sure that varies by institution and by individual adcomm. IMO, without clinical experience through a job, volunteering, clinical research, or other circumstance (each of which would appear in a different category), an application would be deficient. Shadowing (listed under Other) would be on my list (but isn't required at every school) and may be embedded in another activity. So would altrusitic activity, whether clinical, community service, or not. Research, would arguably be 4th in importance (but 40% don't list it, some because it's under Employment). Any of the others make an application stronger. The stronger the ECs, the more likely a deficiency of some kind might be overlooked/compensated for.

1) So it should be alright for me to write each of the descriptions with bullets with nice succinctness and then reflect upon it? Then for the most meaningful, basically just reflect on how I personally grew from it and what I learned?

2) Also, I've written a couple descriptions (not including most meaningful) and the total word count was a bit above 200. Does that seem too short? I felt like I explained what it was enough and also reflected on what I gained from it.

3) Lastly, is it okay for lengths of descriptions between experiences to differ from one being a lot shorter to another being possibly a couple hundred words longer because I feel like some experiences you will obviously have a lot more to talk about (ex: small school job vs. club leadership position)
1) Every activity doesn't lend itself to reflection. It's for you to decide how to use the "Most Meaningful" extra space. Most will follow the guidelines inthe AMCAS instructions.

2) Not if you said what needed to be said.

3) Yes.

I have a general question, is it better to have 10-12 Solid activities or spreading
out activities to reach 15?

For example I held 2 different jobs, but was going to just put them under the title of Undergraduate Work Experience. They were not particular meaningful on their own one job was seasonal employment for 2 summers and I was a calculus tutor at the math center for 1 semester.

Also one other question. I was a research assistant in a psychology lab one semester only. I did not like the work I was doing and then started research in genetics the semester after that. Should I mention on my activities section that I did that psychology research for one semester? It shows on my undergraduate transcript that I did research for that semester as well. (Received Credit for it)

I'm heading to Burning Man this week. Can I chalk it up as 80 hours of community service?

Some more AMCAS questions for Catalystik (you know everything!) particularly but anyone who knows the answer are more than welcome to respond.

1) I am a teaching assistant and teach my own sections of chemistry labs and I am paid for that. Do I have to mention that I am paid. I have put it under the "Tutoring/Teaching" section not "Paid Employment?" Is this appropriate?

2) One of my most "meaningful experiences" I have chosen involve volunteering at annual events but I have gained a lot out of it as in it has affected my views on science education. Is that okay to pick an activity with low frequency?

3) Also, I am a graduate student and do I have to send in two transcripts (one from my undergraduate and other from graduate)? Both of these degrees will be from the same institution.

Thanks!

1) I have a general question, is it better to have 10-12 Solid activities or spreading
out activities to reach 15?

For example I held 2 different jobs, but was going to just put them under the title of Undergraduate Work Experience. They were not particular meaningful on their own one job was seasonal employment for 2 summers and I was a calculus tutor at the math center for 1 semester.

2) Also one other question. I was a research assistant in a psychology lab one semester only. I did not like the work I was doing and then started research in genetics the semester after that. Should I mention on my activities section that I did that psychology research for one semester? It shows on my undergraduate transcript that I did research for that semester as well. (Received Credit for it)
1) Engaging in a teaching activity, whether paid or not, strengthens your application. I'd list the tutoring one on its own. Grouping jobs, in general though, is fine, if you don't have much to say about them and they were short-term.

2) Any research benefits you. They don't ask if you liked it or not. Even though it's on the transcript, there must be something more you could say about it.

1) I am a teaching assistant and teach my own sections of chemistry labs and I am paid for that. Do I have to mention that I am paid. I have put it under the "Tutoring/Teaching" section not "Paid Employment?" Is this appropriate?

2) One of my most "meaningful experiences" I have chosen involve volunteering at annual events but I have gained a lot out of it as in it has affected my views on science education. Is that okay to pick an activity with low frequency?

3) Also, I am a graduate student and do I have to send in two transcripts (one from my undergraduate and other from graduate)? Both of these degrees will be from the same institution.
1) You can list it under either designation (though I'd choose Teaching, too), but I would mention that it was paid employment in the description.

2) Yes.

3) If both undergrad and grad transcripts are included on a single form, then one is sufficient. Some institutions issue separate transcripts for each level of education. If your school does that, you'll need to order two official transcripts and will need two printed forms with your AMCAS number to give the registrar.

1) Engaging in a teaching activity, whether paid or not, strengthens your application. I'd list the tutoring one on its own. Grouping jobs, in general though, is fine, if you don't have much to say about them and they were short-term.

2) Any research benefits you. They don't ask if you liked it or not. Even though it's on the transcript, there must be something more you could say about it.

Thanks for your input Cat. Just one more question then.

1). So just to clarify, I should enter my psychology research (one semester only) and my genetics research as two separate research experiences on my AMCAS activities page?

So just to clarify, I should enter my psychology research (one semester only) and my genetics research as two separate research experiences on my AMCAS activities page?
Yes. You could differentiate the two by calling the first one "Research Aide" or "Research Tech" and the other "Researcher" or "Research Assistant" to show your level of involvement.

Last edited:
1) You can list it under either designation (though I'd choose Teaching, too), but I would mention that it was paid employment in the description.

2) Yes.

3) If both undergrad and grad transcripts are included on a single form, then one is sufficient. Some institutions issue separate transcripts for each level of education. If your school does that, you'll need to order two official transcripts and will need two printed forms with your AMCAS number to give the registrar.

Thank you so much for the clarification! I am on the BS/MS dual degree track at my university will finish my MS in a year because I have already finished the coursework. Where can I indicate this on my application? I know my transcript will list the courses I have taken as an undergrad and graduate, but will not mention that I am on this track?

I have a directed studies course I took, and it was out on the field. There was a mandatory 3 hours of work on the field, but if you decided to stay longer, that would have been on your own time. What do I put this under? I also did work during the summer, but it wasn't graded.

It was an archaelogy digging class.

1) Is 50 hours of physician shadowing acceptable or should I be try to do more?

2) If I have done shadowing at the same hospital that I have done my volunteering, should I include it in the activity description of the volunteering? Or Should Physician Shadowing be a separate activity on AMCAS?

Thank you so much for the clarification! I am on the BS/MS dual degree track at my university will finish my MS in a year because I have already finished the coursework. Where can I indicate this on my application? I know my transcript will list the courses I have taken as an undergrad and graduate, but will not mention that I am on this track?
You add the degree to your colleges section of "Schools Attended"

I have a directed studies course I took, and it was out on the field. There was a mandatory 3 hours of work on the field, but if you decided to stay longer, that would have been on your own time. What do I put this under? I also did work during the summer, but it wasn't graded.

It was an archaelogy digging class.
Are you trying to say that this is research? Or are you just asking how to list the class in your coursework? You stated that people could stay longer in the field. Did you stay longer in the field?

1) Is 50 hours of physician shadowing acceptable or should I be try to do more?

2) If I have done shadowing at the same hospital that I have done my volunteering, should I include it in the activity description of the volunteering? Or Should Physician Shadowing be a separate activity on AMCAS?
1. That's acceptable, provided that you've shadowed in a few specialties including an office-based primary care physician

2. If you were shadowing during the downtime of your volunteer work, then you could include the shadowing and volunteering together, making both items clear in both the title and description. However, if they were separate, then list them separate. Most people group all shadowing together in one entry under "Other"

Status
Not open for further replies.