*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and a pre-thank you for helping me with this! I'm hoping to submit my application soon, but I could use some advice on what's appropriate and how some things might be perceived:

1. I have a slot dedicated to hobbies, and one of the more important is painting (I've done it for many years, very regularly, and have sold some of my paintings more recently :)). I wanted to maybe have one slot for hobbies in general and one dedicated to painting alone, but I wasn't sure if this would be too much space focused on just hobbies.

2. For choosing the 3 most meaningful experiences, would it look strange not to have one of my clinical activities chosen? I've thoroughly enjoyed them, but I've just been more extensively involved in other activities that have had more impact on my growth as a person and a leader.

3. I was one of a few students chosen to be featured in my schools yearly fundraising/donor publication, and was wondering if that might be cool to list with my other awards/recognitions. I don't want to sound like I'm tooting my own horn but I felt honored to be picked.

4. I've been involved in an animal advocacy group for a few years with a lot of leadership/coordinating roles, but I'm wondering if that might raise eyebrows. I don't want to be assumed to be a PETA nut-job, so I wish I had more space to explain my philosophy (ever so briefly) and still list all of the responsibilities I've held...so that makes me want to pick it as most meaningful for the extra space but having it as my most meaningful thing might make me seem more fanatical. (or maybe I'm just paranoid)

That's all. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me :)
I'll help you out with a few of your questions. Hopefully Cat can help out with #4 because I'm not sure what to say about the animal thing.

1. It's fine to separate painting. I would suggest listing painting under the category of "Artistic Endeavor" and then then group the rest under "Hobbies". I would mention that you have sold some paintings as well as any competitions/galleries that your paintings may be in. It sounds like a great activity to list.

2. It's hard to know. Someone said they contacted an admissions office (UMich maybe?) and they said it would be strange if a medical activity is not listed as most meaningful. However, Catalystik has said she thinks its fine if you don't. This is the first year for a "most meaningful" option so it is up to your best judgement based on the prompt on AMCAS. I think your plan of listing activities that helped you grow as a person is perfectly fine.

3. It's fine to include those with awards. I included similar activities, but decided to group them under "other" since I had a few of them. Tooting your own horn is what the awards section is meant for, right?

4. My only thought is that I would see if you can write something as a one-sentence introduction (or similarly concise) to the description that appropriately conveys the message and goal of the group you are associated with. Hopefully you can spend most of the section talking about your role/commitment/leadership. I wouldn't mark it as most meaningful just to explain your philosophy about animal rights (or whatever).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys quick question.

I've graduated and am taking a gap year while applying this cycle. I'd like to talk about a service opportunity that I will be doing during the gap year. I'm only a month into the service and would like to mention it in my work/activities section but I am confused about the time frame. Since this community service is a one-year commitment, it will only end in july of 2012. How do I list this in the application? Should I just check the end date as "until present"? The drop down menu doesnt show any year except 2011...

Thank you sector9 for the good advice--it was definitely a helpful perspective. I'm looking forward to finalizing things now and submitting soon!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys quick question.

I've graduated and am taking a gap year while applying this cycle. I'd like to talk about a service opportunity that I will be doing during the gap year. I'm only a month into the service and would like to mention it in my work/activities section but I am confused about the time frame. Since this community service is a one-year commitment, it will only end in july of 2012. How do I list this in the application? Should I just check the end date as "until present"? The drop down menu doesnt show any year except 2011...
The application will not allow you to select a future date. You have to use the "until present"option.

It's recommended that you leave it at that and not mention your projected end date. That prevents future problems in case you have to drop the activity.

The application will not allow you to select a future date. You have to use the "until present"option.

It's recommended that you leave it at that and not mention your projected end date. That prevents future problems in case you have to drop the activity.

aight thanks bro! btw looove those graphs you did a couple weeks ago, basically you need a 3.7 and 30+ to have above a 50ish% chance of getting in. stuff i already knew but still pretty cool to see those graphs with the ethnicity factor, wish i was black! haha

4. I've been involved in an animal advocacy group for a few years with a lot of leadership/coordinating roles, but I'm wondering if that might raise eyebrows. I don't want to be assumed to be a PETA nut-job, so I wish I had more space to explain my philosophy (ever so briefly) and still list all of the responsibilities I've held...so that makes me want to pick it as most meaningful for the extra space but having it as my most meaningful thing might make me seem more fanatical. (or maybe I'm just paranoid)

Hopefully Cat can help out with #4 because I'm not sure what to say about the animal thing.

4. My only thought is that I would see if you can write something as a one-sentence introduction (or similarly concise) to the description that appropriately conveys the message and goal of the group you are associated with. Hopefully you can spend most of the section talking about your role/commitment/leadership. I wouldn't mark it as most meaningful just to explain your philosophy about animal rights (or whatever).
I agree with sector9 that it's fine to focus more on what you did and how you were a leader rather than a detailed personal philosophy (though you might be asked about this at an interview). You might expand further (without being repetitive) in an appropriate Secondary essay if you wish.

If you decide to choose a "Most Meaningful" designation for the extra space, and decide to discuss philosophy, consider spinning it in a middle of the road fashion so as to appeal to a (usually) conservative audience of adcomms. It isn't essential to mention controversial areas (if any) when there are so many positive components to the experience demonstrating personal characteristics that adcomms are looking for.

Last edited:
I've heard totally different things about sports programs - leadership is key there.

I'd like to list being an RA for 2 yrs as one of my most memorable expriences. Do you think its necessary to describe in detail what my job description was in the 700 character limit? RA is a pretty common EC for adcomms so should it be very general in the description? For example Im gonna say something like this: Responsible for enriching a small community within a larger residence hall. Enforced campus policy and mediated in student affairs? In the extended description I'll talk about the teamwork involved, leadership and special scenarios while being an ra and lead to me love social service. I guess im having a hard trying to spin it in order to seem medically related but the truth is that I simply enjoyed being a leader and being someone that people could go to for help on any issues. I have a lot of anecdotal evidence to back up my maturity and growth, as far learning to cooperate with other type A personalities and dealing with some crazy college kids! I'm just having a hard time making it sound medically related without explicitly saying; leadership, teamwork and compassion are traits i will carry onto the medical field because i think that just makes me sound like a stuck up ***hole. thoughts?? this is last activity to finish writing before submission, i know im ready late.. please do help!

Few questions:
1.is it worth mentioning Golden Key in the awards section where i listed minor scholarships, deans list, and awards? Should Latin Honors be mentioned? summa cum laude at my school is 3.877

3. I do ballroom dancing - started when I was in middle and high school (outside US) and was very involved - competitions, performances. Then moved to the US, stopped for a while, and now have been practicing again, but have not gone to competitions in the US. Should I list it under hobby or endeavor?

4. I didn't get any shadowing with primary care docs, but I have shadowed radiologist, oncologist, ObGyn, anesthesiologist, cardiologist... can volunteering at the home care, where I experienced administrative aspect of medicine substitute for that?... Or is it better to arrange with a primary care physician and shadow for few days?

thanks

I'd like to list being an RA for 2 yrs as one of my most memorable expriences. Do you think its necessary to describe in detail what my job description was in the 700 character limit? RA is a pretty common EC for adcomms so should it be very general in the description? For example Im gonna say something like this: Responsible for enriching a small community within a larger residence hall. Enforced campus policy and mediated in student affairs? In the extended description I'll talk about the teamwork involved, leadership and special scenarios while being an ra and lead to me love social service. I guess im having a hard trying to spin it in order to seem medically related but the truth is that I simply enjoyed being a leader and being someone that people could go to for help on any issues. I have a lot of anecdotal evidence to back up my maturity and growth, as far learning to cooperate with other type A personalities and dealing with some crazy college kids! I'm just having a hard time making it sound medically related without explicitly saying; leadership, teamwork and compassion are traits i will carry onto the medical field because i think that just makes me sound like a stuck up ***hole. thoughts?? this is last activity to finish writing before submission, i know im ready late.. please do help!
Being an RA should be common enough that adcom's will know what it is. You don't need to fill the whole 700 characters (in fact, you probably shouldn't. Don't try to fill space for the sake of filling space). Consider including the number of students you were in charge of.

For the "most meaningful" prompt, there's no need to specifically state why this activity will help you in medical school. The AMCAS prompt doesn't mention it, after all. You will be fine if you address some of the topics suggested in the official prompt.

Few questions:
1.is it worth mentioning Golden Key in the awards section where i listed minor scholarships, deans list, and awards? Should Latin Honors be mentioned? summa cum laude at my school is 3.877

3. I do ballroom dancing - started when I was in middle and high school (outside US) and was very involved - competitions, performances. Then moved to the US, stopped for a while, and now have been practicing again, but have not gone to competitions in the US. Should I list it under hobby or endeavor?

4. I didn't get any shadowing with primary care docs, but I have shadowed radiologist, oncologist, ObGyn, anesthesiologist, cardiologist... can volunteering at the home care, where I experienced administrative aspect of medicine substitute for that?... Or is it better to arrange with a primary care physician and shadow for few days?

thanks
1. Golden Key membership is not particularly useful to list, but since you already have a miscellaneous awards section, I don't think it would hurt to list it. Yes, you can mention latin honors. Most of this stuff is already evident by your grades so it's not particularly important (dean's list, Golden Key, latin honors). I would highlight interesting awards and scholarships first (including information about selection criteria and competitiveness) before listing all of these things

2. Where's #2 at? I'll just leave this link here because I think it's funny http://i.imgur.com/GLAbF.jpg

3. Since you have competed before, you could list it under artistic endeavor. It sounds like it's more of a hobby right now so I would probably list it as such, but either one works

4. OB/GYN is a primary care doc... The home care isn't really a substitute. If you want to, you could shadow a more traditional PCP by shadowing a pediatrician, family medicine, or internal medicine doctor, but sticking with only the OB/GYN is perfectly fine (along with others, like psychiatry and geriatrics. I personally think emergency medicine is kind of a gray area between primary care and more specialized fields, but that's a different discussion)

I have an experience that is one of the most meaningful to me, it combines shadowing, attending weekly board meetings, and volunteering at a two day event organized by the same doc i shadow

I know that it belongs to Other section, but what would be the title?
Shadowing/Community Service? or just shadowing?

would it be appropriate to designate this shadowing experience as one the most significant experiences?
my other ones are research and clinical volunteering
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an experience that is one of the most meaningful to me, it combines shadowing, attending weekly board meetings, and volunteering at a two day event organized by the same doc i shadow

I know that it belongs to Other section, but what would be the title?
Shadowing/Community Service? or just shadowing?

would it be appropriate to designate this shadowing experience as one the most significant experiences?
my other ones are research and clinical volunteering
Thank you
Were you a voting member of the Board? If not, then put it all under Other, name it Physican Shadowing, with consideration to moving the two-day event you volunteered for to the space where you might have listed other Short-Term Community Service.
If you don't already have a space like that, then leave it under Shadowing and just mention it. For two-days of involvement, I don't think it's worth adding to the title to refer to it. (And it's better to undersell yourself than to exaggerate or add fluff.)

If there was more to the experience than attending Board meetings only because the physician did, and two days of volunteering, tell me (and give some timeframes) and I can rework my answer, as then possibly that entire component of the activity could be split off into another space.

Of course you can designate this as "Most Meaningful" if you have enough to say about impact, etc.

I agree with sector9 that it's fine to focus more on what you did and how you were a leader rather than a detailed personal philosophy (though you might be asked about this at an interview). You might expand further (without being repetitive) in an appropriate Secondary essay if you wish.

If you decide to choose a "Most Meaningful" designation for the extra space, and decide to discuss philosophy, consider spinning it in a middle of the road fashion so as to appeal to a (usually) conservative audience of adcomms. It isn't essential to mention controversial areas (if any) when there are so many positive components to the experience demonstrating personal characteristics that adcomms are looking for.

Thanks for the additional input Catalystik!

Hey guys, having a hard time with a couple of things. First, I have done a bunch of medical mission trips to various places for various reasons (one was eye surgery, one was Haiti post-earthquake, etc.) All have been with different organizations. I feel that I have quite a bit to say about each, but will it look like I'm "stretching" if I list them separately, rather than just "volunteer nurse" and then list each one in the description section?

Also, I am having a really hard time choosing a most meaningful 3. I definitely listed working in the PICU and ER as a nurse, but also meaningful have been my trip to Ethiopia, trip to Peru (since it was my first mission trip) and trip to Haiti (the hardest and the one where I most surprised myself with my skills under fire.) But ALSO very meaningful is my work as a forensic sexual assault examiner.... all for different reasons! Gah! Help!

I feel like it would sort of look bad if I DIDN'T say being a sexual assault examiner is one of the most meaningful. Like "oh yea, you know, that's just something I do sometimes when there's nothing on TV." :confused:

Hey guys, having a hard time with a couple of things. First, I have done a bunch of medical mission trips to various places for various reasons (one was eye surgery, one was Haiti post-earthquake, etc.) All have been with different organizations. I feel that I have quite a bit to say about each, but will it look like I'm "stretching" if I list them separately, rather than just "volunteer nurse" and then list each one in the description section?

Also, I am having a really hard time choosing a most meaningful 3. I definitely listed working in the PICU and ER as a nurse, but also meaningful have been my trip to Ethiopia, trip to Peru (since it was my first mission trip) and trip to Haiti (the hardest and the one where I most surprised myself with my skills under fire.) But ALSO very meaningful is my work as a forensic sexual assault examiner.... all for different reasons! Gah! Help!

I feel like it would sort of look bad if I DIDN'T say being a sexual assault examiner is one of the most meaningful. Like "oh yea, you know, that's just something I do sometimes when there's nothing on TV." :confused:
You could list all three short-term volunteer missions together, together as "Most Meaningful" so you have lots of space to say what needs to be said, or separately, if they were substantive enough. How many hours of work did each entail?

I have a question regarding categorizing an experience. The summer after my freshman year, I ended up working part-time in my dad's office (a physician). He had just a couple of employees, it was his busy season, and I did basic office work for him through the summer until he hired other people. The motivation was financial (me working meant not hiring another employee), but I did not get formally paid over that period. Should I still list this experience (it was full-time through a summer) or just leave it off. If I do list it, what do I categorize it as?
Thanks for any help.

I have a question regarding categorizing an experience. The summer after my freshman year, I ended up working part-time in my dad's office (a physician). He had just a couple of employees, it was his busy season, and I did basic office work for him through the summer until he hired other people. The motivation was financial (me working meant not hiring another employee), but I did not get formally paid over that period. Should I still list this experience (it was full-time through a summer) or just leave it off. If I do list it, what do I categorize it as?
Thanks for any help.
I think it was a valuable experience worth listing. If you lived in your dad's home, ate food he provided, etc, then the activity was Employment just as being a Resident Assistant in a dorm would be, when room and board are provided, but no monetary recompense is given. If you were self-supporting, say, through a spouse and did this work, it still would not be categorized as "Volunteer" since you did it for a family member. In that case, I'd list it under Other.

I think it was a valuable experience worth listing. If you lived in your dad's home, ate food he provided, etc, then the activity was Employment just as being a Resident Assistant in a dorm would be, when room and board are provided, but no monetary recompense is given. If you were self-supporting, say, through a spouse and did this work, it still would not be categorized as "Volunteer" since you did it for a family member. In that case, I'd list it under Other.

In a situation like that, would there be a problem with background checks. I know the standard is a criminal check, but don't a few schools run their own check that includes employment?

How do i list contacts for things that are very unofficial. For instance im a huge tech junkie and like to hack electronics.. I converted a solar panel from a garden light to power my cell phone through usb for instance i've done a lot more other crazy and sometimes unnecessary things... hah so uh would i list my parents, ex-roomies as the contact? maybe i should just leave it out?

In a situation like that, would there be a problem with background checks. I know the standard is a criminal check, but don't a few schools run their own check that includes employment?
I doubt it's uncommon for people to help out in a family business in an unofficial way. Med schools would generally verifiy an activity by calling/mailing the contact one gives (if they check on it at all). It's not impossible that other verification might be sought, but I have not heard of it.

How do i list contacts for things that are very unofficial. For instance im a huge tech junkie and like to hack electronics.. I converted a solar panel from a garden light to power my cell phone through usb for instance i've done a lot more other crazy and sometimes unnecessary things... hah so uh would i list my parents, ex-roomies as the contact? maybe i should just leave it out?
Sounds interesting, so don't leave it out. It's fine to list a parent, old roomie, or yourself.

I did a thesis that was submitted and accepted to my schools independent study archives, does this count as a "publication"

Just looking for some advice

I was self employed as a child care provider for 1 1/2 years while attending community college online. I was considering entering this but I am not sure who to put as a contact...

Also, I started as a volunteer research assistant in April 2010. I was promoted to Lead Research Assistant April 2011 which is a paid position. I am wondering if I should list this as two separate experiences, or just explain the promotion in the description or most meaningful section.

Lastly, I have a publication that I know will be published in September. This abstract was presented at the county hospital research forum in April and I listed the poster/presentation as an experience. It is also scheduled to be presented at the ACEP conference in October. How do I enter the publication? separately or just explain it in the poster/presentation section?

I emailed the AMCAS help but all they could tell me was "use your best judgement"

Last edited:
I did a thesis that was submitted and accepted to my schools independent study archives, does this count as a "publication"
Rather than listing it as a Publication, since it isn't available in a public venue, I would list the thesis project itself under "Other" and mention there that the thesis was submitted and approved (if it wasn't already entered under Research).

1) I was self employed as a child care provider for 1 1/2 years while attending community college online. I was considering entering this but I am not sure who to put as a contact...

2) Also, I started as a volunteer research assistant in April 2010. I was promoted to Lead Research Assistant April 2011 which is a paid position. I am wondering if I should list this as two separate experiences, or just explain the promotion in the description or most meaningful section.

3) Lastly, I have a publication that I know will be published in September. This abstract was presented at the county hospital research forum in April and I listed the poster/presentation as an experience. It is also scheduled to be presented at the ACEP conference in October. How do I enter the publication? separately or just explain it in the poster/presentation section?
1) If it was for a single family, list a parent. If it was for a freestanding childcare business, then list the owner, manager, or office clerk with access to hiring records.

2) Either way is fine, depending on how you feel it is best presented.

3) If you are saying that the publication has been accepted without requiring revision and that you can cite the title, journal, and month, but perhaps without the exact page numbers, then you may list it under Publication, give the citation, stating "in press" rather than the page numbers, and give the date of the acceptance. Last year an SDNer spoke to someone at AMCAS who stated this was acceptable, even though the publication had not yet appeared in print.

But if you do this, then you would not have a separate entry for Posters/Presentations, as one lists only the most prestigious manner in which the data was shared. Rather you would mention the Poster/Presentation (c place, date, conference name) and the future planned ACEP presentation (c same details) in the same space as the Publication info, but after the citation.

1) If it was for a single family, list a parent. If it was for a freestanding childcare business, then list the owner, manager, or office clerk with access to hiring records.

I was the sole owner and operator and was caring for 5 families. I was licensed by the state but they would only be able to verify that I was licensed.

I was the sole owner and operator and was caring for 5 families. I was licensed by the state but they would only be able to verify that I was licensed.
I'd pick the family that was the most longstanding in using your service, or the one with whom you've maintained current contact information. If all else fails, list yourself as the business owner.

Hey guys and gals. I submitted my application last week, and I was looking through my work/activities section and found some formatting issues that WERE NOT THERE when I submitted. For the new sections where you have extra space to write about your "Most Significant" experiences, I had multiple paragraphs, but now looking back on them, they all run together I'm just kinda pissed because I put so much effort into making everything perfect for AMCAS but now its not exactly the way I want it to be. Did anyone else have the same problem? I am almost positive there were paragraphs in there when I was proofreading my statement; I don't know why I would have overlooked it. Also, when I wrote "Wal-Mart" as a past employer, it put "W al-Mart". What gives? Anyone else have these problems?

is it appropriate to include my shadowing my own mother?

is it appropriate to include my shadowing my own mother?

It was mentioned earlier that you should definitely include it if you have space. Just know that they will want other shadowing too, but including it can only help.

It was mentioned earlier that you should definitely include it if you have space. Just know that they will want other shadowing too, but including it can only help.
thanks!

You could list all three short-term volunteer missions together, together as "Most Meaningful" so you have lots of space to say what needs to be said, or separately, if they were substantive enough. How many hours of work did each entail?

I have done 3 trips.. and all are important to me for different reasons, though none were massively long (I'm a nontrad with a growing offspring to feed!)

Peru: 1.5 week trip. This one was special because it was my first. First foray into a third-world country, first time having to really use creativity to solve patient care issues. Also, I'm a peds nurse, so I was nervous about taking care of adults, and this really reinforced my confidence that I could do what the situation called for, outside my "bubble" of PICU/ER.

Ethiopia: 3 week trip. Probably about 8 hours/day most days I was there.This organization is non-medical by definition, but I ended up doing a lot of medical stuff that needed to be addressed, like treating cellulitis, eye infections, etc. Also taught English.

Haiti 1 week. Went with a bunch of colleagues after the earthquake and during the height of the cholera outbreak. This will be heavily woven into my PS. Probably my most meaningful- we worked our assess off day and night, total of about 70 hours or more. Not to brag, but we were able to make a huge save on a septic kid who would have died otherwise- in the face of almost no equipment, iffy electrical wattage, etc. Definitely manifested some medical equipment out of sterilized junk (literally... soda bottles, etc.) Going back in a couple of months. Got completely f'd up when I contracted Dengue fever, and was advised not to finish the semester. But I did finish and got a 4.0, do you think it would be stupid to mention (somewhere) that I pushed through anyway? I'm actually kind of proud that I managed to do this.

I don't know... does it sound like each of these "needs" its own space? Also, is it appropriate to tell anectodes in the "description" section?

For example, this is an unedited blurb about the Ethiopia trip. Too long/cheesy-sounding/anecdotal?

During my 3 weeks in Ethiopia, my duties included teaching English to school children and participating in home assessments. At times, problems that befell the families enrolled in the program required speedy intervention. For instance, one afternoon I visited a child who had suffered from severe boils for months- and thus was forbidden to attend school. With some creativity, I was able to gather supplies to drain her abscesses. I devised a plan that included antibiotics and concocted a mixture of castille soap and betadine for her to wash with daily. Soon, she was back in school.

Sorry this post is so obnoxiously long. As you can see, I'm having trouble letting go of the little things and just getting this thing done.

Last edited:
I am really confused about how they want us to list our work and activities. Right now, I have 9 slots filled, and I don't need anymore. I put each separate activity into one slot. Is this wrong? I shadowed 2 physicians, and I used 2 slots for this, listing each separately. Was I supposed to put "Shadowing Experience" and then list them in the description box? Or does it really matter?? I didn't see any rules about "grouping" these.

Also, do we have to write something in EVERY description box? I included in there that I babysat for the past few years for income, but I figured I wouldn't need to write in the description box. Is that wrong??

I am sending my AMCAS off on Friday and now I am worried I did this all wrong! Please help!!

I am really confused about how they want us to list our work and activities. Right now, I have 9 slots filled, and I don't need anymore. I put each separate activity into one slot. Is this wrong? I shadowed 2 physicians, and I used 2 slots for this, listing each separately. 1) Was I supposed to put "Shadowing Experience" and then list them in the description box? Or does it really matter?? I didn't see any rules about "grouping" these.

2) Also, do we have to write something in EVERY description box?

3) I included in there that I babysat for the past few years for income, but I figured I wouldn't need to write in the description box. Is that wrong??

I am sending my AMCAS off on Friday and now I am worried I did this all wrong! Please help!!
1) Most tend to group shadowing into one space in the "Other" category (naming is Physician Shadowing), but it isn't incorrect to use a separate slot for each if you have the spaces.

2) Using 9-10 slots is average. Don't put in fluff to fill others. Do include hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors you engage in. Adcomms like to know you have leisuretime activities and this is the area where you can look different from the usual cookie-cutter sameness of customary ECs. Also, include any leadership and teaching/mentoring/TA/tutoring/or coaching you did. All these add strength to an application.

3) When the duties of a job are evident, as with babysitting or waiting tables, it isn't necessary to describe it. Adcomms prefer you to be succinct. Say what needs to be said and then stop.

I have done 3 trips.. and all are important to me for different reasons, though none were massively long (I'm a nontrad with a growing offspring to feed!)

Peru: 1.5 week trip. This one was special because it was my first. First foray into a third-world country, first time having to really use creativity to solve patient care issues. Also, I'm a peds nurse, so I was nervous about taking care of adults, and this really reinforced my confidence that I could do what the situation called for, outside my "bubble" of PICU/ER.

Ethiopia: 3 week trip. Probably about 8 hours/day most days I was there.This organization is non-medical by definition, but I ended up doing a lot of medical stuff that needed to be addressed, like treating cellulitis, eye infections, etc. Also taught English.

Haiti 1 week. Went with a bunch of colleagues after the earthquake and during the height of the cholera outbreak. This will be heavily woven into my PS. Probably my most meaningful- we worked our assess off day and night, total of about 70 hours or more. Not to brag, but we were able to make a huge save on a septic kid who would have died otherwise- in the face of almost no equipment, iffy electrical wattage, etc. Definitely manifested some medical equipment out of sterilized junk (literally... soda bottles, etc.) Going back in a couple of months. Got completely f'd up when I contracted Dengue fever, and was advised not to finish the semester. But I did finish and got a 4.0, do you think it would be stupid to mention (somewhere) that I pushed through anyway? I'm actually kind of proud that I managed to do this.

I don't know... does it sound like each of these "needs" its own space? Also, is it appropriate to tell anectodes in the "description" section?

For example, this is an unedited blurb about the Ethiopia trip. Too long/cheesy-sounding/anecdotal?

During my 3 weeks in Ethiopia, my duties included teaching English to school children and participating in home assessments. At times, problems that befell the families enrolled in the program required speedy intervention. For instance, one afternoon I visited a child who had suffered from severe boils for months- and thus was forbidden to attend school. With some creativity, I was able to gather supplies to drain her abscesses. I devised a plan that included antibiotics and concocted a mixture of castille soap and betadine for her to wash with daily. Soon, she was back in school.

Sorry this post is so obnoxiously long. As you can see, I'm having trouble letting go of the little things and just getting this thing done.
Answering your questions in the order as bolded above:

1) This might be good for an essay on a challenge overcome, or similar.

2) They don't each "need" their own space, but each is worthy of its own space if you have the room.

3) Anecdotes are fine and make for more enjoyable reading. Take care about describing independent activity that your professional license wouldn't cover at home (I&D, eg). Work around it.

[
3) Anecdotes are fine and make for more enjoyable reading. Take care about describing independent activity that your professional license wouldn't cover at home (I&D, eg). Work around it.[/QUOTE]

Great point, I was thinking about that. I'm a reapplicant, and I talked about some of these things in last year's PS. I said something like "I was worried about going outside my scope of practice at times, but with the encouragement of my peers, I came to understand that informed action in good faith is better than no action at all." Basically to say yep, not normally a nursing role, but I'm not about to sit on my ass and watch a kid's pneumonia worsen... I'm going to get him some abx! Do you think this is an OK way to explain it? Most people who have worked in the third world understand that small steps outside normal professional boundaries sometimes happen out of necessity (as long as you know what you're doing!) but I'm not sure if the adcoms will be familiar with this mentality.

Most people who have worked in the third world understand that small steps outside normal professional boundaries sometimes happen out of necessity (as long as you know what you're doing!) but I'm not sure if the adcoms will be familiar with this mentality.
Exactly. Adcomms who haven't been there won't understand.

One can say antibiotics were started, rather than I started Antibiotics. Or, an I&D was done, rather than I decided to open up the abscess. Tell the truth, but not the whole truth.

Last edited:
I don't want adcoms who are looking side by side on my 2010 and 2011 app to see a strange inconsistenty on dates and think I was making up stuff or something.
I wouldn't worry about it. Last year's version is unlikely to be microanalyzed. And, importantly, this year's version is the accurate one.

Dilemma!

I have all 15 slots on the 'work and experiences' section filled, one of them the fact that I played intramural soccer for 1.5 years, and was captain of my team for the last semester. Is this a meaningful enough experience to put in the 'work and experiences' section? I thought it would show another side of me (the other things are filled with hospital volunteering, medical trips, research, presentations, etc).

The problem is, I have two other things that I want to put in there: Dean's List, and my contribution to a campus undergraduate journal that highlights research going on on campus. I was willing to forgo the dean's list mention, because I figure if they look at my GPA, they'll be able to figure out that I was consistently on the Deans list. Is that a right assumption to make, or should I definitely put that in there in lieu of the IM soccer? I want to talk about both Dean's list and the journal, but I don't have space.

EDIT

Also, I've tried combining similar activities already, and taken that as far as it will go...that's how I cut it down to 15. All of these are meaningful by the way (with the IM soccer possibly being the least meaningful, depending on what think), so cutting something else probably wouldn't work.

Although I did put being a regional semifinalist in the Siemens-Westinghouse Competition in its own slot...even though it was in high school, is that significant enough to include? I've been doing research ever since (albeit in different labs, all of which are in my activities), but I don't know if its significant enough to warrant its own spot.

Sorry if this is rambling, I'm thinking as I write.

Last edited:
Dilemma!

I have all 15 slots on the 'work and experiences' section filled, one of them the fact that I played intramural soccer for 1.5 years, and was captain of my team for the last semester. Is this a meaningful enough experience to put in the 'work and experiences' section? I thought it would show another side of me (the other things are filled with hospital volunteering, medical trips, research, presentations, etc).

The problem is, I have two other things that I want to put in there: Dean's List, and my contribution to a campus undergraduate journal that highlights research going on on campus. I was willing to forgo the dean's list mention, because I figure if they look at my GPA, they'll be able to figure out that I was consistently on the Deans list. Is that a right assumption to make, or should I definitely put that in there in lieu of the IM soccer? I want to talk about both Dean's list and the journal, but I don't have space.

EDIT

Also, I've tried combining similar activities already, and taken that as far as it will go...that's how I cut it down to 15. All of these are meaningful by the way (with the IM soccer possibly being the least meaningful, depending on what think), so cutting something else probably wouldn't work.

Although I did put being a regional semifinalist in the Siemens-Westinghouse Competition in its own slot...even though it was in high school, is that significant enough to include? I've been doing research ever since (albeit in different labs, all of which are in my activities), but I don't know if its significant enough to warrant its own spot.
Adcomms like to know that you have leisuretime activites to provide stress releif. They also make you look more well-rounded and help separate you from the pack. All hobbies and sports could potentially be listed together, if you already have some entered. If you have nothing else to list for leadership, then being captain of the soccer team is doubly important, and would make it own-space worthy.

Deans list is not worth mentioning, though uit could be added into a space with other awards, honors, or scholarships.

You could mention the Siemens-Westinghouse Competition in the same space as the related research (and it's fine to include this HS experience since you continued research into the college years), if not done already. Alternatively you could refer to it in the PS and free that space up.

The journal contribution could also be referred to in another Research space, but to me, the soccer and associated leadership are more important if you are forced to include only one of the three you discussed above. . . .

Unless you have plenty of other Leadership and are targeting some research-giant schools, then the Siemens gets more importance.

So think of your overall strategy and how you can make yourself look appealing to the type of school you most want to attend. To me the journal contribution is lowest on the list regardless of the above.

Hi all,

I am finishing up my work/activities section and have some random questions that I really need help with. I apologize if some of them have been answered in previous posts (I did not have a chance to read them all).

-What do I put for the hours/week for a presentation? Is it the actual amount of time that I was giving a presentation or the average per week that I worked on things that led to the presentation? For example, I was invited to present at an awards event about my senior capstone project. I had been working on it for the previous 9 months but the presentation was only 30 mins.

-What are the chances that the person they list is actually contacted? I am just concerned about some things that were years ago if the contact is even still in the position or if they would even remember me.

-For academic scholarships distributed by the university, who is the contact? The registrar? Also, what would I put for hours/week? N/A ?

-I am not sure who to put for the contact for intramural sports. The director of all intramural sports would definitely not know me but maybe could look up my name or something. Or should I just list a teammate?

-I was an RA in the dorms for a couple of years. Is there an advantage to list it as "leadership" instead of "paid employment" ? Officially it was paid employment but I also included entries for other jobs too and nothing that was specifically leadership.

Thanks in advance!

You could mention the Siemens-Westinghouse Competition in the same space as the related research (and it's fine to include this HS experience since you continued research into the college years), if not done already. Alternatively you could refer to it in the PS and free that space up.
I wouldn't mention the Siemens thing in its own spot.

Isn't the Siemens thing similar to the Intel HS award competition? Here's another adcom thought about that http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11172689&postcount=1304

Hi all,

I am finishing up my work/activities section and have some random questions that I really need help with. I apologize if some of them have been answered in previous posts (I did not have a chance to read them all).

1.-What do I put for the hours/week for a presentation? Is it the actual amount of time that I was giving a presentation or the average per week that I worked on things that led to the presentation? For example, I was invited to present at an awards event about my senior capstone project. I had been working on it for the previous 9 months but the presentation was only 30 mins.

2.-What are the chances that the person they list is actually contacted? I am just concerned about some things that were years ago if the contact is even still in the position or if they would even remember me.

3.-For academic scholarships distributed by the university, who is the contact? The registrar? Also, what would I put for hours/week? N/A ?

4.-I am not sure who to put for the contact for intramural sports. The director of all intramural sports would definitely not know me but maybe could look up my name or something. Or should I just list a teammate?

5.-I was an RA in the dorms for a couple of years. Is there an advantage to list it as "leadership" instead of "paid employment" ? Officially it was paid employment but I also included entries for other jobs too and nothing that was specifically leadership.

Thanks in advance!
1. Did you already list the hours in a research slot? If so, then leave blank.

Most people leave the presentation's hours per week blank. However, this does not sound like something that is own-space worthy since it is not a regional or national conference, so you should be grouping this with the research slot if you haven't already done so.

So a recap: I would list this as "Research" and not "Presentation/Poster", then use the hours per week and time span for your project, then list in the description that you presented your work at a campus awards ceremony.

2. Do the best you can. If someone is in the same position, chances are that they have a record somewhere of your involvement even if they don't remember or the person has changed. If not, then they'll admit "I wasn't here back in 2008". So don't worry about it too much

3. List the registrar. Leave hours per week blank.

4. Just list the team captain, or a teammate, or even a roommate if the other two options aren't available

5. I tend to think that the "Leadership" option is meant for things that don't fit in any other category based on the qualifier "not listed elsewhere". None of the other categories say something like that. However, that is my personal opinion, and I think that the general SDN opinion is that you could list the RA position under either Employment or Leadership based on whichever one balances out your application the best. Either way, your description should make it obvious that you had leadership responsibilities

Adcomms like to know that you have leisuretime activites to provide stress releif. They also make you look more well-rounded and help separate you from the pack. All hobbies and sports could potentially be listed together, if you already have some entered. If you have nothing else to list for leadership, then being captain of the soccer team is doubly important, and would make it own-space worthy.

Deans list is not worth mentioning, though uit could be added into a space with other awards, honors, or scholarships.

The journal contribution could also be referred to in another Research space, but to me, the soccer and associated leadership are more important if you are forced to include only one of the three you discussed above. . . .

Unless you have plenty of other Leadership and are targeting some research-giant schools, then the Siemens gets more importance.

So think of your overall strategy and how you can make yourself look appealing to the type of school you most want to attend. To me the journal contribution is lowest on the list regardless of the above.

I wouldn't mention the Siemens thing in its own spot.

Ok I think I got it figured out. I'm keeping Siemens in its own spot, but I'll categorize it as 'honors/awards,' and add Dean's List as a one line mention at the end of Siemens. Sector9, Siemens is a lot like Intel, and I've heard both ways about both of them. Everything I was trying to get in has a spot now, so I'm thinking I might as well leave Siemens in its own spot along with Dean's List.

I moved my doctor shadowing to the same category as my hospital volunteering (I had essentially the same things to say about both of them), which freed up the spot for my undergraduate research journal article. IM soccer was in its own spot anyway, so I didn't touch that.

My other honors/awards have been fellowships, grants, and travel awards for research, and I've included those in their respective research categories, so this is my only honors/awards section.

Success?

Status
Not open for further replies.