Thoughts/Opinions on Pennsylvania Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Warrior12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I am a Pennsylvania resident and have also chosen the school that I will be attending. However, I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts about PA medical schools are. Any opinions or personal rankings would be great since rankings are sometimes biased. So let's look at UPenn, Pitt, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, PSU, and TCMC. I guess thoughts on DO schools would be okay as well so PCOM and LECOM.

Lets Hear Your Opinons!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In terms of general reputation:
Penn>Pitt>Jeff, Temple, Penn State>>Drexel, PCOM, TCMC>LECOM

anything specific you're looking for?

Reactions: 1 user
I highly doubt that you will get wildly different answers and you already did the TCMC vs Penn thread, but:

UPenn>Pitt>Jeff/Temple>Penn State (Penn State is basically as good as the other two, but I feel like the location causes you to miss out on some opportunities)>Drexel/TCMC>>PCOM>>LECOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So let's look at UPenn, Pitt, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, PSU, and TCMC. I guess thoughts on DO schools would be okay as well so PCOM and LECOM.

It's Penn >= Pitt >> Jefferson = Temple > PSU >> Drexel = TCMC > PCOM = LECOM

1. I think Penn and Pitt are comparable since both are research powerhouses. Penn probably edges out since it's comfortably and consistently in the Top 5 but the difference is really marginal. But both Penn and Pitt are Top 20 so there is a significant gap separating them from the rest of the schools.

2. Jefferson and Temple are the followup med schools that nicely separated themselves from the other schools in terms of opportunities, clinical education etc. I reject classifying them with Drexel as Philly triplets since the differences really are substantial (Drexel has an unstable hospital system and problematic clinical year rotations). Penn State follows behind Jefferson/Temple because of location factor and slightly fewer opportunities (can change in the future).

3. TCMC is a new school that's up and coming but for now, it's placed with Drexel. Maybe in a few years it'll change.

4. US MD > US DO, so the two DO schools are ranked last.

Thanks guys! I was lucky to be accepted to all but one of the lower schools (excluding Pitt/penn). I've made a choice and now I'm just curious

Thanks guys! I was lucky to be accepted to all but one of the lower schools (excluding Pitt/penn). I've made a choice and now I'm just curious
where have u decided

Being from a very small rural town in PA, I decided PSU would be the right place for me