The ultimate COVID thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New Jersey has now surpassed New York in deaths/million residents. In each of these states about 1/600 residents have died of COVID.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I see a lot of people saying that much more younger people are getting infected right now. That's not really accurate. More younger people are getting tested right now bc they have access which is making the numbers of them who test positive go up, but the age demographics of Covid has not changed. This explains why the severe case demographics and death demographics have not changed. A data scientist made a twitter thread explaining this here. "If you measure the height of all people taller than 6 ft and have a median height of 6 ft 3 inches, and then change to measuring everyone's height, and your median changes to 5 ft 7 inches, does it mean your population suddenly got shorter? Pay attention"

This is pretty embarrassing

8CCE8170-4EDA-4518-8C77-A52CBC4981E6.png

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 311507

Fake news. Tell me the slope of the black line. Now tell me we haven't flattened the curve, just like Japan. I dare you

Fake news is so depressing... why can't we go back to real news about accidently carpet bombing wedding parties in far off places and heartwarming stories about dogs and other family pets riding skateboards... that was proper news that was...

Members don't see this ad :)
Vietnam has done very well despite its proximity to China and congested cities.

• Wow
why does the number of cases matter when the focus should be on death rate and hospital stay
I agree it's more reflective of actual burden but doesn't that lag weeks behind? Could lose time during which meaningful action could be taken.

I agree it's more reflective of actual burden but doesn't that lag weeks behind? Could lose time during which meaningful action could be taken.

Idk i may be optimistic here but i think hospitals are better prepared now that we know a lot more about covid and have treatments to offer. Could see steroids being really helpful here.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
The stupidity of young people is astounding nationwide and i say that as a millennial

@Twiggidy is right, it’s embarrassing. Speaking of stupidity....

Reactions: 1 users
@Twiggidy is right, it’s embarrassing. Speaking of stupidity....

Dumb people and that includes the black daughter/mom too. No need to escalate a situation for being bumped. Idiots all around!

Reactions: 4 users
Dumb people and that includes the black daughter/mom too. No need to escalate a situation for being bumped. Idiots all around!
Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) is so bloody riled up in this country I swear everyone needs a bottle of Valium just sent to their homes. Most of this country just needs to sleep 2020 off and try again in 2021

Reactions: 8 users
would not be surprised if death rate goes up soon. death usually lags case rise by couple weeks or so.

and i dont think we should 'only' look at death. theres more to a disease than just living vs dying. some people are having severe complications due to covid but not dying.

Reactions: 3 users
would not be surprised if death rate goes up soon. death usually lags case rise by couple weeks or so.

and i dont think we should 'only' look at death. theres more to a disease than just living vs dying. some people are having severe complications due to covid but not dying.

Death rate and hospitalizations? Why would cases matter if people get infected but recover without going to the hospital?

No i understand. But there are dashboards tracking hospitalizations. So why is tracking cases important when hospitalizations can track hospital capacity better?

its important because it tells you how many cases there are in the public and how widespread the disease is. so my neighbors 95 yr old grandma can be more cautious going on the subway when there are 10000 cases a day in the state, despite only 50 deaths

must be tempting for trump and his insiders to time the market when they know he's got covid
i suppose that's insider trading though right?

:corny:

My Predictions:

1. Immunoglobulin treatment available by June. This will decrease the ICU admissions by 50% or more. Death rates will plummet.
2. Antiviral therapy- This is a longer shot but likely 1-2 antivirals will show some effectiveness against Wuhan Virus
3. Combine 1 and 2 leads to a death rate under 15,000 for the USA by the Fall
4. Vaccine will be ready for phase 2 testing by late Fall. By December/Jan a viable vaccine will be in production.
5. By April 01, 2021 the S and P 500 will be back to 2800 and the crisis will have ended.

I know many of you think the world has ended. This is how it felt in December of 2008 when the entire country was in melt down mode. December 2008 wasn't the "low" and neither is the current s and p of 2300. The stock market will go lower probably in the 1800-2000 range. I predict for those that buy near the low profits will be in the 50% range by April 2021.
You're VERY optimistic, I will quote this in a few months.

@dchz gets the W.

Making predictions about COVID and the market is a fool’s errand.

• Haha
@dchz gets the W.

Making predictions about COVID and the market is a fool’s errand.

Well he was right about the s&p. That's really all that matters!!

Also I love how he built in an April fool's joke in there.

Man can we please elect Biden and Democrats to a landslide win in presidency and Congress?

I get the Trump bashing in the forum but i'm so mentally past Trump presidency that i just want the next administration and Congress to take over immediately. The rest of 2020 is a complete, slow, frustrating, lameduck months

@nimbus @vector2 @BLADEMDA @Twiggidy @AMEHigh and everyone reading this thoughts pls:

I don’t have a WSJ subscription so I can’t read the article but from the first couple of paragraphs I gather it’s more of an indictment on the general public’s refusal to instructions (ie anti-maskers/secret raves/etc) rather than an indictment on lockdowns
I’m not in favor or looking forward to another lockdown but it seems inevitable, either that or we’re going to have a whirlwind of cases coming this fall/winter.

we already don’t plan on spending Thanksgiving together as a family and it’s pretty sad

I don’t have a WSJ subscription so I can’t read the article but from the first couple of paragraphs I gather it’s more of an indictment on the general public’s refusal to instructions (ie anti-maskers/secret raves/etc) rather than an indictment on lockdowns
I’m not in favor or looking forward to another lockdown but it seems inevitable, either that or we’re going to have a whirlwind of cases coming this fall/winter.

we already don’t plan on spending Thanksgiving together as a family and it’s pretty sad

Here's another link i found: Covid 19 coronavirus: World Health Organisation doctor backflips on virus lockdowns: Don't use them as a 'primary control' - NZ Herald

We have a lot better treatments and testing capabilities though? And flu shots are widely popular now to avoid additional problems

Here's another link i found: Covid 19 coronavirus: World Health Organisation doctor backflips on virus lockdowns: Don't use them as a 'primary control' - NZ Herald

We have a lot better treatments and testing capabilities though? And flu shots are widely popular now to avoid additional problems
The big difference is lack of vaccine to COVID which just increases the risk to a potentially deadlier virus (death rate 0.1% vs 1%) I think this year’s flu will probably be one of the mildest flu season because A) people aren’t traveling / gathering (word has it that the Southern hemisphere had one of the lowest flu seasons to date) B) Everyone will be more likely to get a flu shot

While I don’t think the lockdown will be extreme as last winter, I’m not sure if indoor gatherings will be returning this winter. Until we have an effective vaccine I’m not sure what the answer should be, but COVID-19 isn’t the ’common cold’, which people will also still contract this winter.

Masking, Hand hygiene, and social distancing.....that’s the best we can do for now