The ultimate COVID thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The big difference is lack of vaccine to COVID which just increases the risk to a potentially deadlier virus (death rate 0.1% vs 1%) I think this year’s flu will probably be one of the mildest flu season because A) people aren’t traveling / gathering (word has it that the Southern hemisphere had one of the lowest flu seasons to date) B) Everyone will be more likely to get a flu shot

While I don’t think the lockdown will be extreme as last winter, I’m not sure if indoor gatherings will be returning this winter. Until we have an effective vaccine I’m not sure what the answer should be, but COVID-19 isn’t the ’common cold’, which people will also still contract this winter.

Masking, Hand hygiene, and social distancing.....that’s the best we can do for now

We don't need another lockdown. In 4-6 weeks a Vaccine will be ready for release. The answer is to vaccinate all those at high risk and those willing to take it.

I, for one, am ready to vaccinate myself and all my family members today. The safety and efficacy data is already out there. In just 3 weeks two companies will have enough data to apply for emergency use but they will wait until the end of November.

The manufactured Antibodies to Covid 19 have been successful and shown efficacy against Covid 19 when given early in the disease process. IMHO, Trump would have died without the treatment from Regeneron And Gilead. They saved his life particularly the dual antibody treatment from Regeneron.

Members don't see this ad.

Public Health leader says Tennessee expects to get vaccine as early as November 10

Separately, at a coronavirus vaccine symposium Tuesday, Operation Warp Speed head Moncef Slaoui said early efficacy data on vaccines will be available over the next several months, with Pfizer and Moderna's in a first wave in November or December, Reuters reports. He expects enough doses to be able to vaccinate 30 million people during those months, according to the news service.

Pfizer is one of the only top contenders in the U.S. vaccine race not to accept federal funds for research and development. Instead, it signed a $1.9 billion deal to deliver 100 million doses of its shot by the end of the year, with an option to buy 500 million more.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't need another lockdown. In 4-6 weeks a Vaccine will be ready for release. The answer is to vaccinate all those at high risk and those willing to take it.

I, for one, am ready to vaccinate myself and all my family members today. The safety and efficacy data is already out there. In just 3 weeks two companies will have enough data to apply for emergency use but they will wait until the end of November.

The manufactured Antibodies to Covid 19 have been successful and shown efficacy against Covid 19 when given early in the disease process. IMHO, Trump would have died without the treatment from Regeneron And Gilead. They saved his life particularly the dual antibody treatment from Regeneron.
I honestly wish I shared your optimisim

Reactions: 1 users
The track record is not good.

Your pessimism makes no sense. We have the vaccines and the U.S. government has secured enough doses to immunize all healthcare workers and high risk individuals by the end of January 2021. Science has conquered Covid 19 and in just a few months that will be quite clear to you.

More than 150 coronavirus vaccines are in development across the world—and hopes are high to bring one to market in record time to ease the global crisis. Several efforts are underway to help make that possible, including the U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed initiative, which has pledged $10 billion and aims to develop and deliver 300 million doses of a safe, effective coronavirus vaccine by January 2021. The World Health Organization is also coordinating global efforts to develop a vaccine, with an eye toward delivering two billion doses by the end of 2021.

Reactions: 1 user
Your pessimism makes no sense. We have the vaccines and the U.S. government has secured enough doses to immunize all healthcare workers and high risk individuals by the end of January 2021. Science has conquered Covid 19 and in just a few months that will be quite clear to you.

More than 150 coronavirus vaccines are in development across the world—and hopes are high to bring one to market in record time to ease the global crisis. Several efforts are underway to help make that possible, including the U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed initiative, which has pledged $10 billion and aims to develop and deliver 300 million doses of a safe, effective coronavirus vaccine by January 2021. The World Health Organization is also coordinating global efforts to develop a vaccine, with an eye toward delivering two billion doses by the end of 2021.

Given the fastest vaccine to be created was Mumps, which took 5 years, it’s not shocking there are skeptics. We of course are in a much more scientifically advanced world than the 1960s so we do have that going for us. I think people would be less skeptical if there wasn’t political pressure to bring a vaccine to market, but despite this, polling does show that a majority would get a free FDA approved vaccine. The last part is important. It must be FDA approved.

Reactions: 2 users
Final data from a large study of Gilead Sciences Inc's antiviral drug remdesivir showed the treatment cut COVID-19 recovery time by five days among hospitalized patients, one day faster than preliminary data had indicated, researchers reported on Thursday in The New England Journal of Medicine. The 1,062-patient study compared up to up to 10 days of therapy with remdesivir - now sold in some markets as Veklury - to a placebo. The average recovery time was 10 days among those who got the Gilead drug versus 15 days in the placebo group. Among patients requiring oxygen at the start, those taking remdesivir continued to need oxygen for an average of 13 days, compared to 21 days for patients who got a placebo. In a separate analysis looking just at patients who received oxygen, the drug appeared to reduce the risk of death over the next month by 70%. "We now have data suggesting that giving remdesivir to patients on oxygen may significantly reduce their chances of death compared to other subgroups," Dr. Andre Kalil, an infectious disease expert at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and the study's lead investigator, said in a news release.

Final data from a large study of Gilead Sciences Inc's antiviral drug remdesivir showed the treatment cut COVID-19 recovery time by five days among hospitalized patients, one day faster than preliminary data had indicated, researchers reported on Thursday in The New England Journal of Medicine. The 1,062-patient study compared up to up to 10 days of therapy with remdesivir - now sold in some markets as Veklury - to a placebo. The average recovery time was 10 days among those who got the Gilead drug versus 15 days in the placebo group. Among patients requiring oxygen at the start, those taking remdesivir continued to need oxygen for an average of 13 days, compared to 21 days for patients who got a placebo. In a separate analysis looking just at patients who received oxygen, the drug appeared to reduce the risk of death over the next month by 70%. "We now have data suggesting that giving remdesivir to patients on oxygen may significantly reduce their chances of death compared to other subgroups," Dr. Andre Kalil, an infectious disease expert at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and the study's lead investigator, said in a news release.

Thoughts on this? Which drug are you pushing all the chips in on next?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

@BLADEMDA gets the W. Wild ride ahead in the markets today. Hang on.

@BLADEMDA gets the W. Wild ride ahead in the markets today. Hang on.

Deep state fake.
There is no covid. But in case there is, The Deep state waited till after the election to announce to torpedo Trump. The vaccine is Saline and a micro chip.
-R
(One more than Q)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
The Feds bet on the wrong horses - the Pfizer vaccine wasn’t part of Warp Speed. So hopefully the other candidates also work!

Yes, my BET is Moderna as well as J and J will have effective vaccines. I like J and J the best because it only requires ONE shot and a basic fridge for storage. Moderna's approval is likely just 2-3 weeks behind Pfizer.

I don’t know how to make those fancy polls like my college aged children can, but I’m curious- will you take the vaccine when it is approved?

If we are to believe in the power of RCTs and we are using only a "spike protein" fragment, why not get the vaccine?

Pfizer will submit for EUA in 2 weeks once 2-month surveillance period is finished. They will likely get authorization within days. Vaccine distribution ramping up in December, with many healthcare workers vaccinated with first dose early January-ish.

This of course is assuming Trump’s administration doesn’t try to deliberately f*** up the logistics out of spite to the American people.

The general population won’t have access probably until next summer.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure if this has been posted about the end of the Swedish myth:

Source:

Pfizer will submit for EUA in 2 weeks once 2-month surveillance period is finished. They will likely get authorization within days. Vaccine distribution ramping up in December, with many healthcare workers vaccinated with first dose early January-ish.

This of course is assuming Trump’s administration doesn’t try to deliberately f*** up the logistics out of spite to the American people.

The general population won’t have access probably until next summer.

Pretty disappointed— it looks like the FDA won’t convene until Dec 10th to discuss authorization. This pushes back the timeline I suggested by 2-3 weeks.

Also, now that it’s become apparent that the Trump administration will not cooperate with Biden, I have serious concerns about the logistics of a vaccine roll-out. We may be looking at late summer until the general public starts getting vaccines.

Sorry this is a long thread and may have been covered, but are people doing anything for people who teat positive but are at home? Have some family members who have tested positive, feeling mild symptoms so far, wonder if anything drug wise to do at this point?

Sorry this is a long thread and may have been covered, but are people doing anything for people who teat positive but are at home? Have some family members who have tested positive, feeling mild symptoms so far, wonder if anything drug wise to do at this point?

Buy a pulse ox. Zinc, Motrin, Tylenol, Vitamin D3, Mucinex, Robitussin. Melatonin.

Feed them some lead

What do people think of COVID post-infection elective surgery scheduling???

I think the ASA said 72 hours after symptom resolution that it is okay to proceed. I believe I will be stuffy and insist on 2 weeks to help avoid airway irritation and the many other inflammatory issues of COVID that I don't know about.

There have been multiple studies that have shown viral fragment shedding continues for weeks but infectivity is no longer present after 9 days from the beginning of symptoms in any patient. It is impossible for many patients to determine when their many symptoms of COVID actually ended so I would disagree with the ASA statement. Many symptoms continue for weeks or months.

There have been multiple studies that have shown viral fragment shedding continues for weeks but infectivity is no longer present after 9 days from the beginning of symptoms in any patient. It is impossible for many patients to determine when their many symptoms of COVID actually ended so I would disagree with the ASA statement. Many symptoms continue for weeks or months.
Can you please quote the study.

So would one allow an elective case to proceed because they are no longer at risk of viral shedding 10 days after symptom onset. Or do you wait for resolution of symptoms plus 3 days because the patients body is better suited to withstand our medical assault to it. I agree that some patients don't realize they are symptomatic or that their symptoms are undetectable by routine evaluation.

The question is really, are you trying to avoid infection to staff and others. Or are you trying to avoid complication from the previous infection. I think if you try to avoid the latter you are more likely to avoid both. There is obviously not a "one size fits all"

Very good episode of ACCRAC about this topic. Guys from Stanford and their VA put together some possible guidelines about elective surgery after covid. It’ll be interesting to see if anything like this gets by ASA, apsf or acs - I know at my place if I delayed a surgery for a diabetic post covid 10 weeks they’d strongly considering firing me.

I was being flippant with my wording there. It was technically true, I put everything in my trading account at the time on that play, but most of my money is still in cash and IRA accounts. I moved more money over to the trading account to play with. I'm still bullish and have loaded up on more S&P puts on the run up.

curious how all these bearish bets worked out. You went short with everything. Then admitted it wasn't everything just your trading account, then kept loading up even more.

11 months later and I will just assume you got annihilated with your investments since the things you posted about ended up being horrible ideas.

(yes I am partially being an ass about it because random bearish predictions almost never work out and people who claim they know when the market is going to crash are wrong unless they are the blind guy telling you the time and getting it right twice a day)