The Republic of Texas XXVIII: Like Chuck Norris, we don't sleep; we wait...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The schools that use the match are Houston, San Antonio, Southwestern, and, to a lesser degree, Tech (Lubbock). If you want to get into other schools, there is still a chance, from the waitlist. I remember a significant portion of last year's SDN people that got into A&M did so from the waitlist.

This has been mentioned here on SDN previously, but when I interviewed at San Antonio, it was mentioned that approximately 70 seats will be filled through the match. The rest were prematch offers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last year, did y'all hear on Feb 1st or before about match? Do they email you or do you have to check the website?

I didn't do this last year so correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure you have to check the TMDSAS website at 8am on February 1st and you won't hear anything before then. (sigh)

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, did y'all hear on Feb 1st or before about match? Do they email you or do you have to check the website?

Just past midnight, if memory serves.

I was at a friend's place refreshing my phone's browser incessantly that night/morning.

Bummer. Oh well -- eight more hours isn't much considering how long you guys have been waiting.

Just means I won't sleep well the night going into Feb 1 :rolleyes:

Haha, and hopefully I'll be too excited to fall back asleep after finding out news... so much for sleeping in!! :luck:

Just means I won't sleep well the night going into Feb 1 :rolleyes:

Haha, and hopefully I'll be too excited to fall back asleep after finding out news... so much for sleeping in!! :luck:

I'm getting excited about it just for you guys! I do remember checking at midnight last year.....trying to forget.

I'm getting excited about it just for you guys! I do remember checking at midnight last year.....trying to forget.

Me too. I gotta say I'm glad that I'm not a part of it this time around, but I'm still interested to see the flurry of posts that will come that morning. Hope you guys get what you want. :thumbup:

Thanks for posting the link!

I think I will still check at midnight just in case it goes up early.

:)

Hahaha, that and SDN :D

Thanks for all the positive encouragement guys/gals for us hopeful matchers... I'm probably not the only one who really needs other people to help me keep thinking positively at this point... January seems interminable and I'm honestly a bit scared for Feb 1...

Last year, I really kind of knew I had no shot, having had only 1 interview and a subpar MCAT... this year, with 3 interviews even applying so late, I can't help but feel hopeful, and thus, more concerned that my hopes will be crushed... :(

*deep breathes* Okay, game face back on... lol :luck:

hi, i was wondering if some 3rd/4th years from UTSA, UTH, or UTMB could help answer my questions, I'm trying to decide which ones to rank higher. thanks a bunch!!

1. How much did you enjoy the clinical rotations? What were your
work/study hours (e.g.for surgery, im, psych, or pediatrics)? Were you
on-call (if so, was being on-call stressful at all)?
2. Was there a lot of hands on work(doing procedures, etc.) during the clinical years? Were there malignant residents or residents/attendings who made you do scutwork?
3. Did clinical year grades/letters help people get quality residencies or their 1st/2nd choice? Do contacts at hospitals and the med school often help people get residencies?
4. Was it easy to do away rotations at other hospitals or travel
abroad during breaks?
5. I'm interested in psychiatry, so would you know how strong the psychiatry department is?

thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad :)
There aren't many, if any, 3rd and 4th years that post in here. Your best bet would be to call up the schools admissions people and say you have some questions for a 3rd or 4th year and see if you can get an email address or something. I remember when I interviewed there was usually lists of students that would be willing to answer questions.

There aren't many, if any, 3rd and 4th years that post in here. Your best bet would be to call up the schools admissions people and say you have some questions for a 3rd or 4th year and see if you can get an email address or something. I remember when I interviewed there was usually lists of students that would be willing to answer questions.

Agree, I remember getting that list as well. You could also go to one of their second look programs and ask for yourself. I might steal a few of your questions for mine tomorrow as it is. :)

Let's say you have already made up your mind about which Texas school you want to go to and you want to make sure that you are at the top of their list. Will going to a Second Look before January 15 increase your chances at all? Will it tell the school that you are really interested in the program? or is it purely for your benefit?

Let's say you have already made up your mind about which Texas school you want to go to and you want to make sure that you are at the top of their list. Will going to a Second Look before January 15 increase your chances at all? Will it tell the school that you are really interested in the program? or is it purely for your benefit?
It may not help much, but it would never hurt (unless you say/do something really offensive/stupid).

Depending on who you talk to and how much you impress them, I think it would be possible to help yourself out a little. I wouldn't count on it happening, but I think it is possible.

I imagine that it would lie somewhere between doing absolutely nothing and sending a letter of interest to your top school.

In other words, if you really want to make an impression on the AdCom, send a letter. Doing both might be even better than that. I hesitate to say that it's going to do you a ton of good, mostly because there are a lot of people with a ton of reasons for not being able to do a second look (geography being a big one) for the AdCom to put a ton of effort into keeping track who's "interested".

I think Chuck Norris is probably going to kill this guy in his sleep tonight with one well placed roundhouse kick, just for asking that on a public forum.

And you call yourself a TX longhorn... Walker Texas Ranger was like a major part of my childhood! Get to know Chuck Norris, and the many jokes that go along with his name. It's the only true way to be a Texan ;)

I find it hard to believe that someone with a 40 MCAT wouldn't know anything about chuck Norris....

Did you not have the questions about him on your MCAT? Must not have taken it in Texas.
:D

I find it hard to believe that someone with a 40 MCAT wouldn't know anything about chuck Norris....

Did you not have the questions about him on your MCAT? Must not have taken it in Texas.
:D

hah i was just about to make a smartass comment about him not being on the mcat also. good stuff.

yeah utmb and uth provide lists with a few students. its okay i guess, but i wanted a more honest opinion rather than self-selected reps.

but uthsca provides no lists and premed students can not tour clinicals. i don't think i want to go to a school that provides NO information on 3rd/4th years. though it seems weird b/c i really liked the school at interview and 3rd/4th years were open with me. oh well.

hi....it's jan. 6th and before u know it, match will be here. on that note, if anyone has made up their mind yet, we can just say what are first choices are to kind of see what everyone is hoping for? i'll go first

Texas Tech University-Lubbock rank no. 1

Hey I was not growing up in Texas and it explains that.:eek:

lol No problem, its cool that you lived under a rock on another planet growing up. :D Actually I guess its showing my age that I remember his movies from when I was a kid, I think I watched every ones of them, probably a big motivator in getting me involved in martial arts as a kid.

Have you never seen the Chuck Facts?

Chuck Norris Facts said:
1.)If you have five dollars and Chuck Norris has five dollars, Chuck Norris has more money than you.
2.)There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.
3.) Apple pays Chuck Norris 99 cents every time he listens to a song.
4.) Chuck Norris can sneeze with his eyes open.
5.) Chuck Norris can eat just one Lay's potato chip.
6.) Chuck Norris is suing Myspace for taking the name of what he calls everything around you.
7.) Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
8.) Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.

lol No problem, its cool that you lived under a rock on another planet growing up. :D Actually I guess its showing my age that I remember his movies from when I was a kid, I think I watched every ones of them, probably a big motivator in getting me involved in martial arts as a kid.

Have you never seen the Chuck Facts?
thx man for your response.
The last quote is real funny lol

Quick neurotic question. So about the Jan 15th deadline for TMDSAS. We have to decline ll but one pre-match offer. Does that mean you need to go in and actually click decline on all but one offer under the Accept/Decline Offers? Its doesn't mean just to submit the ranking, correct?

Ok, so I know thats a stupid question and sounds like I answered it myself, but I have found it hard to decline any offer of acceptance from a medical school! :D

Quick neurotic question. So about the Jan 15th deadline for TMDSAS. We have to decline ll but one pre-match offer. Does that mean you need to go in and actually click decline on all but one offer under the Accept/Decline Offers? Its doesn't mean just to submit the ranking, correct?

Ok, so I know thats a stupid question and sounds like I answered it myself, but I have found it hard to decline any offer of acceptance from a medical school! :D

When I emailed the person who offered me a prematch, and told the person that I would like to turn it down, the "Accepted" decision on the TMDSAS website changed to "Declined" after couple days (or maybe it has been a week..not sure). The schools seem to have an internal system to update the decisions.

You should notify the school personally that you are going to decline the decision rather than just changing the decision on TMDSAS website. It would be a nice thing to do. And if by January 15th the online decision hasn't changed yet, just change it yourself on the site.

And yes, I believe the one prematch offer rule means declining and accepting and NOT just submitting match preference.

So, if my worst fears come true and I don't match on Feb. 1, does that mean that it's over? Would I still be available to be pulled off a waitlist, or do I just start gearing up for the next application cycle? I have no pre-match offers; interviewed at 4 schools.

So, if my worst fears come true and I don't match on Feb. 1, does that mean that it's over? Would I still be available to be pulled off a waitlist, or do I just start gearing up for the next application cycle? I have no pre-match offers; interviewed at 4 schools.

i was wondering the same thing. i'm pretty much in the same boat. i'm already signed up to retake the MCAT if necessary and am studying on the side for it, but if I don't match on February 1, does that pretty much mean that it's a no go?

It's not a no-go, but you should definitely start preparing to apply for the next cycle just in case. You could get pulled off of the waitlist up until right before school starts. If you don't hear by Feb 1, you should start preparing for the new TMDSAS app to be released and start working towards improving your app immediately (if you aren't doing so already). Make sure you apply early. I am a reapplicant this year and submitted my application 10 days after TMDSAS released it last year. I had five interviews and have one pre-match offer this year, after having zero interviews last year. Good luck on Feb 1st!

It is hard interviewing at 4-5 schools and not hearing much before the match, especially seeing people who have been accepted with similar numbers to multiple schools. I think a lot of people still match if they don't pre-match. I think I've seen in another thread that mgirl (pretty sure that's the name) interviewed at 5 schools, no pre-matches, matched to TCOM, then got accepted off the waitlist at UTHSCSA in July. Personally, I really hope to be 100% sure where I'm going on February 1st.

Do any schools give waitlist rank numbers? The only school that mentioned this on my interview day is Baylor, and they do not disclose waitlist rankings.

I was told last year (as I sat on the waitlist) that UTHSCSA waitlist is not ranked. At least thats what I was told by the dean.

I find it hard to believe it's not ranked...they may just be telling you that? I say this because they rank ppl for the match, and they probably just keep these rankings for the waitlist? Also, without a rank, the waitlist process would be completely random, and I just don't see medical schools doing that.

What if u have one prematch offer and u rank it number 2 and hope to match to ur number 1 school. If u don't successfully match on feb 1st...that automatically means ur attending ur number 2 choice? Or cud u be pulled off a waitlist at a later date? I don't really wanna drag this out all spring lol

What if u have one prematch offer and u rank it number 2 and hope to match to ur number 1 school. If u don't successfully match on feb 1st...that automatically means ur attending ur number 2 choice? Or cud u be pulled off a waitlist at a later date? I don't really wanna drag this out all spring lol
You are correct, you'd be eligible for the waitlist at your number 1 school, and ineligible for the waitlist at any schools you ranked 3 or higher.

There is plenty of chance to get in after the match, but it will all be from the waitlists. If you don't get a match, my suggestion is to hope for the best/prepare for the worst. Start talking up professors/advisors again about doing recs, ask admissions directors about what they didn't like from your application, etc. I made a post about this earlier, but it's all still true.

That said, best of luck, I'm sure most of you will end up with a "home" after the match!

I find it hard to believe it's not ranked...they may just be telling you that? I say this because they rank ppl for the match, and they probably just keep these rankings for the waitlist? Also, without a rank, the waitlist process would be completely random, and I just don't see medical schools doing that.

They said the adcom looks at each waitlisted student's app again for each opening after the match. I really couldn't comment on the truth of their statement, just what they told me when I asked.

They said the adcom looks at each waitlisted student's app again for each opening after the match. I really couldn't comment on the truth of their statement, just what they told me when I asked.
more than likely what happens is they keep the ordered list that they had, but they don't simply pull the next person on the list. they take into account the type of person who opened up a spot and try to fill it with someone similar.

i was wondering the same thing. i'm pretty much in the same boat. i'm already signed up to retake the MCAT if necessary and am studying on the side for it, but if I don't match on February 1, does that pretty much mean that it's a no go?

Interviewed at 3, no prematches, so as a proactive step I went ahead and registered for another bio class to add to my gpa. It's good to see that other people are also taking "just in case" steps as well.