The Republic of Texas XXVIII: Like Chuck Norris, we don't sleep; we wait...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
joined sdn to calm the nerves

of course my first post is dedicated to the match - it can't come soon enough!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I will be applying this upcoming cycle, and I'll be retaking the MCAT probably in mid-April. When does the TMDSAS application become open? Mid-may, or June? I know the dates vary from cycle to cycle, but generally when?

I just don't want to have to wait for my MCAT scores after I have already submitted the app.

Help is much appreciated! :D

Hi everyone!

I will be applying this upcoming cycle, and I'll be retaking the MCAT probably in mid-April. When does the TMDSAS application become open? Mid-may, or June? I know the dates vary from cycle to cycle, but generally when?

I just don't want to have to wait for my MCAT scores after I have already submitted the app.

Help is much appreciated! :D

If I recall correctly, the application opens at the beginning of May, but you CANNOT submit it till June.

Can I get someone else to confirm this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding ranking your match preferences, is it possible to rank yourself right out of matching anywhere?

Say you rank what you might consider the more competitive schools as your first choice and the less competitive at the bottom. But the competitive schools don't pick you and then the less competitive schools pick all the people who ranked them first on their list. Wouldn't there then be a possibility that the less competitive schools fill their class before they match up with you since they were last on your list? And therefore you don't match anywhere and have to reapply?

Regarding ranking your match preferences, is it possible to rank yourself right out of matching anywhere?

Say you rank what you might consider the more competitive schools as your first choice and the less competitive at the bottom. But the competitive schools don't pick you and then the less competitive schools pick all the people who ranked them first on their list. Wouldn't there then be a possibility that the less competitive schools fill their class before they match up with you since they were last on your list? And therefore you don't match anywhere and have to reapply?

The schools have NO idea where you ranked them. Rank them by the preference you have for the school, not where you think you'll get in. If you're first on a school's list and they are last on yours, you will match there unless another school that you ranked higher matches you. Make sense?

The schools have NO idea where you ranked them. Rank them by the preference you have for the school, not where you think you'll get in. If you're first on a school's list and they are last on yours, you will match there unless another school that you ranked higher matches you. Make sense?

Are you sure? Not that they know your ranking, but that you couldn't rank yourself out of an acceptance? Your example is correct, but the opposite could be true, no? I mean at some point we are getting into diminishing returns talking about it, but I guess the real question is do they rank the number of students for each class or more?

Are you sure? Not that they know your ranking, but that you couldn't rank yourself out of an acceptance? Your example is correct, but the opposite could be true, no? I mean at some point we are getting into diminishing returns talking about it, but I guess the real question is do they rank the number of students for each class or more?
You can't rank yourself out of an acceptance. The best way to think of the match is like a huge round of rolling admissions with your decisions already made.

You can't rank yourself out of an acceptance. The best way to think of the match is like a huge round of rolling admissions with your decisions already made.

So schools basically have a "cut off" rank score that they know will be an acceptance and you get it if you ranked them at all providing someone higher didn't get you first. I thought this is how it was, but thinking about it seems like there would be the possibility if you ranked them low, they ranked you low...etc. Guess not.

Just glad to not have to worry about it.

So schools basically have a "cut off" rank score that they know will be an acceptance and you get it if you ranked them at all providing someone higher didn't get you first. I thought this is how it was, but thinking about it seems like there would be the possibility if you ranked them low, they ranked you low...etc. Guess not.

Just glad to not have to worry about it.

I just became more confused. Sorry to reiterate, but the consensus is schools do not know what your rank order is? If they are going to give you an offer as long as you have them ranked you would technically receive the offer if a higher school doesn't pick you up? Is that the gist?

I just became more confused. Sorry to reiterate, but the consensus is schools do not know what your rank order is?

correct, the schools will not see your rank list. the black-box computer system that is the match WILL, of course, see your rank list, and assign a match (hopefully) based on it... but the schools themselves won't.

If they are going to give you an offer as long as you have them ranked you would technically receive the offer if a higher school doesn't pick you up? Is that the gist?

this is exactly correct.

Hey, just wondering. Are second look programs really geared towards people who have already been accepted to multiple schools and are deciding between them, or are they also for people who have just interviewed and are finalizing their match preference?

They are for both!!! go and enjoy!!!

If I recall correctly, the application opens at the beginning of May, but you CANNOT submit it till June.

Last year, the application was available May 18, 2009. Dates should be approximately the same for next year. If I remember correctly immediate submission is possible (someone double check me?), but TMDSAS will NOT transmit the completed application to the individual schools until beginning/mid june (the first transmit date for 2007 and 2008 were june 10th and june 11th, respectively... not sure when this year's was).

If you were a better candidate than the other hypothetical applicant that ranked the desired school higher, you will match to that school before them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, best of luck to all of you in all that you do! This will be my last sdn post! Cheers!

:( Farewell good friend. Thanks for your wisdom and support and friendship to all of us over the past few years!!! You will be missed!!!!
Good luck to you and all of your endeavors!!! and take care of that beautiful baby girl!!!!

Not TMDSAS, but the residency match system. I assume it works the same.
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html. The most important point is to not try to "outthink" the match. make your number one your number one. make your number 2 your number 2, no matter if you think you have a chance.

Not TMDSAS, but the residency match system. I assume it works the same.
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html. The most important point is to not try to "outthink" the match. make your number one your number one. make your number 2 your number 2, no matter if you think you have a chance.
Hey all, it's been awhile since I posted, but this is correct. The only thing with residencies is that there are some complicating factors, one of them being married couples wanting to match to the same city or general area.

With the TMDSAS match, here's what happens, instantaneously:

1. Applicants with multiple prematches are resolved by awarding them a spot at their highest-ranked prematch. This won't always open up spots, because a lot of schools give out more prematches than spots in class. NONE OF THESE STUDENTS ARE LOCKED IN to a specific school, since they could receive an acceptance later to a school that they ranked higher.

2. Schools have ranked their interviewees beforehand, and essentially "submit" acceptances to enough students to fill their class. Again, duplicates are resolved according to the students' preference, and again, the designation is temporary.

3. Rinse and repeat until every spot in every class is filled. Then, waitlists are organized by each medical school independently.

The important thing to take away is that you're never assigned to a school permanently, and can always move up your ranking if another school gets down to you on their list.

Congrats to my fellow M1's, I think we get to put part of the "M" next to our names now:
-Bobsagat, |

how exactly do you enter your match preferences?
Update match prefrences> Edit>...then?

Then do you just enter a numerical number for the order you want to rank each school? like, "1"?

how exactly do you enter your match preferences?
Update match prefrences> Edit>...then?

Then do you just enter a numerical number for the order you want to rank each school? like, "1"?

Yes. "1" for your top choice.

I apologize again. Not to beat a dead horse, just have one more question. So Jan15 we have to decline all but one prematch offer. So if I go into the match with the one prematch I keep and rank it number 2 to another school I did not prematch at, if I do not get picked up by the number 1 ranked school there is no chance I can lose the school acceptance I took into the match list?

I apologize again. Not to beat a dead horse, just have one more question. So Jan15 we have to decline all but one prematch offer. So if I go into the match with the one prematch I keep and rank it number 2 to another school I did not prematch at, if I do not get picked up by the number 1 ranked school there is no chance I can lose the school acceptance I took into the match list?

Correct, per TMDSAS you do NOT risk loosing the pre-match you have. You will simply match to the pre-match school and be done with it.

But you can wait to hear from someone who has been through it already, I'm just going from what I've read. :)

That is correct. You will not lose your prematch offer.

So Jan15 we have to decline all but one prematch offer. So if I go into the match with the one prematch I keep and rank it number 2 to another school I did not prematch at, if I do not get picked up by the number 1 ranked school there is no chance I can lose the school acceptance I took into the match list?
That's right.

THANK YOU for posting the details of the match process. TMDSAS should post similar scenarios like the residence match at http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html

I wonder how far down the list the schools get.

Also, I wonder if they rank EVERYONE or leave people off the list.

February 1st used to feel so far away, now it doesn't since we are getting close to the new year.

Good luck to all!

Anyone know how many pre matches UTSW has sent? How many seats are likely to be up for grabs during the regular match?

Hi there,

I've been trying to understand the match process, but still was a little unsure about some things. Is my understanding (below) of the match correct?

All the schools submit a ranked list or a certain number of offers to TMDSAS (probably more than the number of seats left). TMDSAS will cross reference applicants' match preferences to the schools' lists and applicants will end up with 1 offer from the highest ranked school on their list.

So for example, if an applicant has the following rank preference (assuming no pre-match offers...but it would still work similarly if you suppose he was pre-matched at UTMB):

1. UTSW
2. UTH
3. UTMB

If this applicant receives offers from both UTMB and UTH, but not UTSW, he will be matched to UTH, go on the wait list for UTSW, and his UTMB offer would go to the next deserving applicant at UTMB (all automatically done before Feb 1st).

So on Feb 1st, MOST of the Texas seats will be decided. The movement of the waitlist at schools depends upon people choosing to go out of state, or not going to medical school after being accepted.

Let me know if this is correct...or if i'm off.

Thanks!

Thanks guys!! It feels good especially after my craptastic cycle last year.
Doc, I'm not sure what happened I didn't change my application all that much from last cycle to now...but I'm not questioning it. :D

Thanks guys!! It feels good especially after my craptastic cycle last year.
Doc, I'm not sure what happened I didn't change my application all that much from last cycle to now...but I'm not questioning it. :D

So what did you change as a reapplicant? Did you use the same letters, take more classes, new essays?

Anyone else who is an accepted reapplicant please feel free to answer also.

So what did you change as a reapplicant? Did you use the same letters, take more classes, new essays?

I'm a reapplicant as well. I had one interview last year and 6 this year. I prematched to UTMB. And had interviews at Baylor, UTHSCSA, TCOM, KCUMB, and WVSOM (don't really know why i applied there).
Things I did differently:
-Raised MCAT a lot
-Changed Personal Statement completely
-Applied a little earlier
-Got A LOT more volunteer and shadowing experience
-Had 1 B the last year and a half of college
-Added some REC letters
This is what worked for me. Hope some of my experiences offer some insight.

I'm a reapplicant as well. I had one interview last year and 6 this year. I prematched to UTMB. And had interviews at Baylor, UTHSCSA, TCOM, KCUMB, and WVSOM (don't really know why i applied there).
Things I did differently:
-Raised MCAT a lot
-Changed Personal Statement completely
-Applied a little earlier
-Got A LOT more volunteer and shadowing experience
-Had 1 B the last year and a half of college
-Added some REC letters
This is what worked for me. Hope some of my experiences offer some insight.
I was a successful reapplicant, and here is my advice.
-make contact with all of the admissions directors at the places where you interviewed. If you didn't receive interviews, then pick a few places. (Texas A&M's admissions directors are usually very interested in speaking with applicants) Do everything they say!
-apply as early as possible. Nail down the people who will be writing your letters before February is over with, and make sure they have it completed before the date the application opens. Make sure you're in the first batch of applications transmitted. Applying early is probably the easiest way to improve your chances. It doesn't help you as much as a bump up in your MCAT or grades, but there's no reason not to do it.
-start thinking about what you want to do with your interim year. I had a great experience with UNT's medical masters (quasi-post-baccalaureate) program. There is a thread on it in the interdisciplinary forum. Take a look.

That is some good advice Bobsagat. I forgot to mention that I got in contact with the admissions office that interviewed me last year. The school had a file review available upon request of the applicant. I did this and it not only helped me pinpoint the weaknesses in my app. but also helped show me the strengths in my application from a third party point of view.

Previous posters have given great advise. I'm sort of the wierdo here as I didn't change much of anything on my application (at least not enough to justify such a different experience in my mind). I had a low MCAT and did not retake (28Q), had a good GPA so I took two science courses, biochem and micro (had micro before but too long ago to count, been doing bacteriology research for years though). Continued shadowing but nothing new or crazy. Did rewrite my PS (probably the biggest change in my mind) and had new letter of rec. However I had two of the same letter writers, just new letters. Didn't apply earlier, in fact a few days later (well it was delayed this year so thats probably a wash).

Not completely sure what made the big difference....crap shoot ?

Does anybody know what Texas A&M's typical class schedule is like? I'm trying to compare A&M with UTMB. I was really impressed with A&M's class size, facilities, and overall fit, but I really like UTMB's 8-12 class schedule and was wondering if A&M was comparable.

Also, can anybody from UTHSCSA comment on how the 8-5 class schedule works out for them? I know it's optional, but I know during college I generally don't skip lectures even if they're terrible.

Ranking schools is difficult...

Also, can anybody from UTHSCSA comment on how the 8-5 class schedule works out for them? I know it's optional, but I know during college I generally don't skip lectures even if they're terrible.

Most people don't go to every single class, you'll figure out pretty early which ones you want to go to and which ones you don't. I skip a LOT, but I listen to most of the podcasts so I don't feel like I miss anything. Also, it's not just lecture 8-5 every day. A lot of the time we don't start til 9, and we have labs in the afternoons about three days a week. A lot of Fridays we get the whole afternoon off too, and some days we get off at 2, others 3, etc. There isn't a set schedule, it changes every week.

I'm gonna try to attach our fall schedule to this thing, I've never done this before though so I don't know if it will work haha.

Attachments

• Fall%2020090.doc
    367 KB · Views: 131
Does anybody know what Texas A&M's typical class schedule is like? I'm trying to compare A&M with UTMB. I was really impressed with A&M's class size, facilities, and overall fit, but I really like UTMB's 8-12 class schedule and was wondering if A&M was comparable.

Ranking schools is difficult...
Here is the schedule for our first two blocks this year. I really liked the schedule, especially considering we got 1/3 of the anatomy labs off, which I believe is unique to A&M. I also remember hearing from a UTMB student they were disappointed with how much afternoon class they actually have in reality, but I will let them comment on that.

One of the reasons I chose A&M over San Antonio is because I didn't like the idea of having so much class.

Attachments

• 1A Schedule.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Phase I Block 1B Schedule 2009-2010.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 120
First two courses at UTMB...avg weekly # of hrs scheduled and (my reality). Obviously, I wasn't a lecture person. It wasn't uncommon for some lectures in GAR to be from 1-2, due to the amount of lab time in that course, but we didn't always start as early as 8am either. Otherwise, the only afternoon classes were POM (small group clinical) once a week, and POM wrap-up lecture on Fri, which few people bothered to go to. In 2nd year, POM moves to the morning and lectures to the afternoon.

GAR (Anatomy/radiology, the most time intensive course 1st year course):
6 hrs lect (didn't go)
4 hrs pbl (4 hrs)
1 hr pbl wrap up/Who's Anatomically Correct game (optional…usually didn't go to either)
8 hrs lab (avg 6 hrs)
4 hrs clinical course (avg 2.5 hrs)

MCT
6 hrs lect (rarely haha)
6 hrs pbl (avg 5 hrs)
2 hrs pbl wrap/quiz review (didn't go)
2 hrs lab (avg 1 hr)
4 hrs clinical course (avg 2.5 hrs)

Happy Holidays!!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for posting the schedules! Yeah I'm still iffy about San Antonio's schedule.. even though they are podcasted it seems like if I skip lecture, I still have to use up time to watch/listen to it later when I could be studying.

I just wanted to wish all of you a great Christmas or Happy Holidays....just have a good one! haha

I've finally gotten through the Republic of Texas posts (not all, obviously, but I'm caught up now). I will now be following this thread more closely. It's been a really long few months of both anticipatory/waiting periods and squeezed-time periods (MCAT, submitting, interviews). It's great to share the experience with all of you, even if I have not posted in this thread before. :)

Anyway, great read through here. Best wishes for all this season!

Merry Christmas, RoTers -- hope you're all having a good one.

i wonder who exi really is.... . edit: to comment on a&m's scheduling, i have to say im a big fan. this is mainly because it gives you the option of not going to class at all and, even if you went, it isnt that much. everything you need to study is there in front of you and my grades of gotten progressively better each block :D making an A feels a heck of a lot harder/better to obtain than it did in undergrad, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone! I hope everyone has a safe & restful holiday. :)

hey yall, Im a Texas undgrad, i was wondering if i took a CNA (certified nurse's assistant) course at Houston Community College, When time comes to apply with TMDSAS would i have to send my transcript from there also along with my University transcript? and so would the grade i make in that short course factor into my TMDSAS gpa any way?

Yes.

If the school that has the word "college" or "university" in the name, the transcript is required.

Additionally, EVERY SINGLE COURSE will be used in factoring a GPA (either undergraduate gpa or graduate gpa, etc.,), except in some cases of foriegn course work, in which case the transcript is evaluated by TMDSAS on a case-by-case basis.
(scroll down to the third question about GPA calculations)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!