The Republic of Texas XLII: You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How would yall rank TCU compared to the other Texas schools? tuition aside, as I know it sucks lol.
I matched UTMB and I will likely attend, but I also got an A from TCU and received a call about their second look today... I wasn't planning on going, but I'm just wondering if I am giving TCU a fair consideration.
I seem to recall that you had some very specific interests to pursue as a doctor; at which school would you be able to follow those interests best? Would attending the second look day help you decide?

Members don't see this ad.

How would yall rank TCU compared to the other Texas schools? tuition aside, as I know it sucks lol.
I matched UTMB and I will likely attend, but I also got an A from TCU and received a call about their second look today... I wasn't planning on going, but I'm just wondering if I am giving TCU a fair consideration.

Personally I would pick UTMB over TCU because it has had substantially more time to solidify its medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I would pick UTMB over TCU because it has had substantially more time to solidify its medical school.
All the TCU med students I've talked to said they liked going there, but complained about the cost relative to other Texas schools. They also have a 13 month pre-clinical I think, which some students liked/disliked.

Members don't see this ad :)
istockphoto-471663495-612x612.jpg

Waitin's a lonely game, ain't it?

For you Texans with nothing but Waitlists so far and no acceptances, that's all there is to do right now.

You might have written a letter of interest, intent, etc. after Match Day when you didn't match, and that is good and I usually recommend you do that - once.

But why shouldn't I call, write, or send another one now?

1. Please don't call the school and ask where you are on the WL or when they are going to look at your application again or other things.
Chances are very small that the person who answers the phone is someone who is actually making the decisions. Calling repeatedly will show immaturity. They do have caller ID, and will recognize your voice after a few times ;).

2. Unless the school specifically invites you to send an additional letter of recommendation, don't do this either. Letters need to be sent on the TMDSAS portal, and the deadline for them was back in November.

3. They are busy right now supporting their MS4 students, both those who will Match for residencies on March 15 and especially those who will be notified they didn't match on March 11th. Helping out those unmatched students is time sensitive and time consuming.

When you are an MS4, you will love and appreciate your school's help with this!

4. For you to be invited in from a WL, there must be a space created in their class roster. These spaces are created when a currently accepted person gets an offer they prefer from an OOS (AMCAS or AACOMAS) school. AMCAS schools don't expect students holding several offers to narrow down their choices until mid to late April, so THAT is when WL offers will begin to trickle out for the TMDSAS schools.

Now What?
1. Pretend it's Spring Break and go do something fun, spend time with friends and/or family.
2. Add to your community engagement experiences if that was a weakness on your last application. The next application opens up in early May and you can get 2 months worth of hours ready to go...
3. Respond to any emails you get from your WL schools, either asking if you are still interested or for other updates.
4. Stay optimistic, because there WILL be WL offers between April and July!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
View attachment 383803

Waitin's a lonely game, ain't it?

For you Texans with nothing but Waitlists so far and no acceptances, that's all there is to do right now.

You might have written a letter of interest, intent, etc. after Match Day when you didn't match, and that is good and I usually recommend you do that - once.

But why shouldn't I call, write, or send another one now?

1. Please don't call the school and ask where you are on the WL or when they are going to look at your application again or other things.
Chances are very small that the person who answers the phone is someone who is actually making the decisions. Calling repeatedly will show immaturity. They do have caller ID, and will recognize your voice after a few times ;).

2. Unless the school specifically invites you to send an additional letter of recommendation, don't do this either. Letters need to be sent on the TMDSAS portal, and the deadline for them was back in November.

3. They are busy right now supporting their MS4 students, both those who will Match for residencies on March 15 and especially those who will be notified they didn't match on March 11th. Helping out those unmatched students is time sensitive and time consuming.

When you are an MS4, you will love and appreciate your school's help with this!

4. For you to be invited in from a WL, there must be a space created in their class roster. These spaces are created when a currently accepted person gets an offer they prefer from an OOS (AMCAS or AACOMAS) school. AMCAS schools don't expect students holding several offers to narrow down their choices until mid to late April, so THAT is when WL offers will begin to trickle out for the TMDSAS schools.

Now What?
1. Pretend it's Spring Break and go do something fun, spend time with friends and/or family.
2. Add to your community engagement experiences if that was a weakness on your last application. The next application opens up in early May and you can get 2 months worth of hours ready to go...
3. Respond to any emails you get from your WL schools, either asking if you are still interested or for other updates.
4. Stay optimistic, because there WILL be WL offers between April and July!
As someone who's been WL at 4 schools and 1 pending, your updates and words of encouragement have supported me like no other. Thank you so much wysdoc.

I do have a question when you say that there will be "WL offers between April and July". If I apply for the upcoming cycle and submit my application as soon as it opens (which I predict will be mid-May), will that interfere at all with potential WL offers? Just curious how that would work.

As someone who's been WL at 4 schools and 1 pending, your updates and words of encouragement have supported me like no other. Thank you so much wysdoc.

I do have a question when you say that there will be "WL offers between April and July". If I apply for the upcoming cycle and submit my application as soon as it opens (which I predict will be mid-May), will that interfere at all with potential WL offers? Just curious how that would work.
Unfortunately, there can be some overlap in the cycles, as you point out.
If you have submitted your new app for 2024-2025 in May, then get an offer from a WL a few weeks later, you can accept the offer with glee and message TMDSAS to withdraw your new application. Hope one of your WL's turns out in your favor!

Reactions: 3 users
National Resident Matching Day is tomorrow (March 15 2024) for 4th year medical students across the USA.

If you have a free block of time in the middle of your day, you can get in on the excitement from wherever you are.
Scout the webpage or social media of the school you got accepted to, or the favorite school you are on the WL for, and see if they are hosting a livestream of their Match Day event.
Standard time for them to open their envelopes and see where they matched is 12 noon Eastern Time zone (11AM Central, 10AM Mountain, 9AM Pacific)

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Has there been any waitlist movement? It seems a bit late for there to be no one getting off the WL

• Care
Has there been any waitlist movement? It seems a bit late for there to be no one getting off the WL
I was wondering if it was because there is a delay with FAFSA this year? Maybe people are waiting to get their financial aid packages from schools before deciding and withdrawing? Just a theory tho haha

It's the same story every year, guys. There will be 100 posts asking why it is so slow this year, and then
there will be WL offers beginning in April when people leave their TX spots for OOS offers.
Until April keep busy :)
See also this post The Republic of Texas XLII: You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You
(sorry, I will keep giving the same answer no matter how many times the question is asked !)

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
these threads are so quiet nowadays, i miss talking with all of yall

Reactions: 4 users
these threads are so quiet nowadays, i miss talking with all of yall
Me toooo ☺️ The silence has been difficult because I miss the back and forth chatter of sharing info, dreams, hopes, pains etc

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who do yall have winnin March Madness
I've been watching Houston play a fair bit this year, and they're scary good on both sides of the court. But if the refs are quicker to the whistle in the tourney their physical style of defence may end up being their downfall. Don't know too much about teams outside the Big XII, but with Houston being in contention for #1 in the AP poll all year makes me think they definitely have a chance.

I'd be happy to see any Big XII team win (besides the obvious). Wbu @jack lock ?

Me toooo ☺️ The silence has been difficult because I miss the back and forth chatter of sharing info, dreams, hopes, pains etc
My biggest hope/fear rn is that I'll be able to figure out housing and financial aid before moving and starting medical school. It's a broken system even when it works as intended, although this year it's definitely a bit worse with the FAFSA issues.

How're you doing @LavenderDreams and @ravioli. ?

I've been watching Houston play a fair bit this year, and they're scary good on both sides of the court. But if the refs are quicker to the whistle in the tourney their physical style of defence may end up being their downfall. Don't know too much about teams outside the Big XII, but with Houston being in contention for #1 in the AP poll all year makes me think they definitely have a chance.

I'd be happy to see any Big XII team win (besides the obvious). Wbu @jack lock ?
Oh yeah, @MCAThiccy

I've always wondered this but it never felt appropriate to ask at interview days, in med school do sports fans tend to support their undergrad or med school affiliated teams? E.g. BCM student who went to UH, they pulling for Houston or Baylor in March Madness? Or is there no discernible trend?

They typically pull for their undergrad or the big 12. For football, they typically represent either their state or their undergrad (such as the Louisville Cardinals).

You'll have students wearing Baylor undergrad merch because their parents or friends thought that BCM is affiliated with Baylor in Waco, which is pretty silly. I like the Baylor Bear, though; very cute.

Reactions: 1 users
They typically pull for their undergrad or the big 12. For football, they typically represent either their state or their undergrad (such as the Louisville Cardinals).
haha thanks for the info, it’d be hard for me to let go of my undergrad ties

• Love
My biggest hope/fear rn is that I'll be able to figure out housing and financial aid before moving and starting medical school. It's a broken system even when it works as intended, although this year it's definitely a bit worse with the FAFSA issues.

How're you doing @LavenderDreams and @ravioli. ?
Aww thanks for asking @IJUSTWANTOPARTYDOC that's very kind of you :) Trying to figure out the same! Plus juggling a current acceptance that I love against a waitlist spot that I also love, and seeing what it's gonna be. It's hard to wait out the waitlist deadline when one has to secure housing and all that, so I don't think the WL situation will end up working out for me. Also, I hate to ask, but I totally missed kowing there were FAFSA issues; what's going on? I did mine in Feb sometime.

Not me getting an email from UTMB about their MD/MPH program Post-match, even though my app got withdrawn there after match.

You'll have students wearing Baylor undergrad merch because their parents or friends thought that BCM is affiliated with Baylor in Waco, which is pretty silly. I like the Baylor Bear, though; very cute.
Technically Baylor University and Baylor College of Medicine were affiliated for a while. In 1903, the college affiliated with Baylor University for greater access to institutional resources. But, in 1969, Baylor College of Medicine and Baylor University (led by the then Baylor College of Medicine president, Dr. Michael E. DeBakey) split to get greater access to federal funding for medical research. Today, Baylor University and Baylor College of Medicine maintain cordial ties. They even share a BS(BA)/MD program, the Baylor²Baylor Medical Program which admits 6 high school students each year.

I’ve been a ghost here for the most part but I miss reading everyone’s messages…it is kinda quiet now

Reactions: 6 users
Aww thanks for asking @IJUSTWANTOPARTYDOC that's very kind of you :) Trying to figure out the same! Plus juggling a current acceptance that I love against a waitlist spot that I also love, and seeing what it's gonna be. It's hard to wait out the waitlist deadline when one has to secure housing and all that, so I don't think the WL situation will end up working out for me. Also, I hate to ask, but I totally missed kowing there were FAFSA issues; what's going on? I did mine in Feb sometime.
As far as I know, there’s been a lot of technical issues with the FAFSA they rolled out this year. One issue for example, is accessing the form both from the applicant side and the med school side (I recently got an email about that from my school, although I didn’t have issues accessing the form once it became available).

And same with the WL stuff. I know nobody wants to hear someone with an A complain about being on a waitlist, but it really does suck and you aren’t alone.

I’m confident it’ll work out well for us though. And although I’m personally not the biggest believer in ‘fate,’ I think that (especially with a good attitude) there’s almost always several pathways in any situation that you can take that will end with you being happy with the outcome and I really believe that will be true for most all of us here.

At the same time I do find it difficult to not think about (and sometimes become preoccupied with) what ‘could have been’ etc. but that’s just part of living I think. Especially in situations like these, time will probably give us all a better perspective.

Well for me it’s how my transition will be as a medical students since I’ve had multiple gap years…but I know I gotta remain optimistic and cognizant that others have been successful so I should be capable as well

Im also married and my husband is currently a medical student and the school I matched at is in a different city so I worry about making the long distance work but the way I see it is he has somewhere to go for away rotations

Im also married and my husband is currently a medical student and the school I matched at is in a different city so I worry about making the long distance work but the way I see it is he has somewhere to go for away rotations
What year is he? I am sure he can try some in UTMB but usually away rotations are done if someone wants to specialize or if the school is not able to provide inhouse for the required ones.

There are also given time off for tests if he hasnt taken them yet.

Log back into FAFSA to check your status.

Likely your status is in Review and not Processed yet?

Same. hopefully, everything will be taken care of before school starts. Out of curiosity how does getting an apartment work if you technically don't have an income anymore?

Same. hopefully, everything will be taken care of before school starts. Out of curiosity how does getting an apartment work if you technically don't have an income anymore?
I really don't know. I'm hoping/planning on just talking to the lease person (either landlord or leasing company) and explaining the situation. I feel like financial aid for medical students is a pretty reliable thing (once it's dispensed) so I doubt they'd be too averse to working something out as far as a down payments and proof of income. Also, I feel like having a med student as a renter is pretty low risk as well, so that probably will help us.

But yeah, I've seen stories online about funds not being dispensed until after the first week of classes (e.g. August 5th when orientation starts July 20th). This whole process priveleges those that have rich parents or... well that's really it because the number of 20-30 year olds that can afford a couple of months rent, groceries, etc. with no income is incredibly small. Mostly due to the current socioeconimic state of America and specifically Texas.

As far as I know, there’s been a lot of technical issues with the FAFSA they rolled out this year. One issue for example, is accessing the form both from the applicant side and the med school side (I recently got an email about that from my school, although I didn’t have issues accessing the form once it became available).

And same with the WL stuff. I know nobody wants to hear someone with an A complain about being on a waitlist, but it really does suck and you aren’t alone.

I’m confident it’ll work out well for us though. And although I’m personally not the biggest believer in ‘fate,’ I think that (especially with a good attitude) there’s almost always several pathways in any situation that you can take that will end with you being happy with the outcome and I really believe that will be true for most all of us here.

At the same time I do find it difficult to not think about (and sometimes become preoccupied with) what ‘could have been’ etc. but that’s just part of living I think. Especially in situations like these, time will probably give us all a better perspective.
What great perspective @IJUSTWANTOPARTYDOC , thank you so much. I honestly, truly believe the same as you. I am honestly at peace with either path, and I am so grateful to even have this "problem". I think for me, at this point, it's more about finding that closure and making those preparations for starting a new chapter.

I do want to honor those who do not have any spots secured at this point. If anyone reads this, I think there is so much hope. Someone with an acceptance cannot wait past May 15th, but boy did I meet SO MANY student ambassadors this past cycle who said they got in in like July or something, almost the majority of student ambassadors I met on my interview days said this...Easy for me to say, I know, but keep the hope up everyone who is waiting for one spot...

As for FAFSA, thank you for explaining! I actually tried logging into my FAFSA right now and I can't even do that haha I got a message saying there are tech errors that they are working on and to try again later. Now I know.... Oh Lordie...haha

What great perspective @IJUSTWANTOPARTYDOC , thank you so much. I honestly, truly believe the same as you. I am honestly at peace with either path, and I am so grateful to even have this "problem". I think for me, at this point, it's more about finding that closure and making those preparations for starting a new chapter.

I do want to honor those who do not have any spots secured at this point. If anyone reads this, I think there is so much hope. Someone with an acceptance cannot wait past May 15th, but boy did I meet SO MANY student ambassadors this past cycle who said they got in in like July or something, almost the majority of student ambassadors I met on my interview days said this...Easy for me to say, I know, but keep the hope up everyone who is waiting for one spot...

As for FAFSA, thank you for explaining! I actually tried logging into my FAFSA right now and I can't even do that haha I got a message saying there are tech errors that they are working on and to try again later. Now I know.... Oh Lordie...haha
Thank you, I hope my reflections are useful to someone. Finding peace has been a struggle for me in many areas of my life, as I’m sure it is for many others.

I’d also like to send love to everyone who hasn’t had success this cycle. As you mentioned, there’s always hope if this career is your dream. 💜

On the other hand, in our aim to support our fellow pre-meds, I think a lot of us can fall victim to a sort of “toxic positivity” mindset, which is often used by others to prey on vulnerable pre-meds who are chasing their dream, often through very murky waters (paid prep courses, app reviews, etc.). Choosing to do something else is not a failure, no matter how much time, energy, money, etc. you’ve sunk into this goal and I think no matter what, there are plenty of things more meaningful and important than becoming a physician in life - even if it’s truly your biggest passion.

Idk, this may not be helpful at all.

But I do really hate to see how people (including myself) can be so negatively impacted by this process. As if a GPA, MCAT, A or R, etc. defines who you are or your worth as a person.

Last edited:
  • Care
But yeah, I've seen stories online about funds not being dispensed until after the first week of classes (e.g. August 5th when orientation starts July 20th).
one of my schools said that financial aid runs on the undergrad schedule so we don’t get aid until 3 weeks after school starts

Am I crazy or does that not seem broken to everyone else?
The timing of loan disbursement means that you need a buffer of funds to begin school and to pay your first month's rent/deposit at your new apartment.
It prevents 2 problems from happening -
1. What if you had planned to attend this school, but 2 weeks before orientation you get in from the WL of a school you prefer? School A doesn't have a way to give over your tuition money to school B, and would there be money you already spent from your loan earmarked for School A, would you have to give that back and re-start your financial aid paperwork for school B? Special scholarships awarded by school A are not transferrable to school B.
2. There are unscrupulous individuals, usually at the college level or especially at the 100% online colleges, who would take the loan disbursement money and never show up at school. Paying the tuition portion of a loan directly from the feds to the school heads off this problem.

Whatever school you plan to attend, go to the financial aid page on their website and read it thoroughly.
You will be surprised how much information is there. Financial knowledge will be important to your future and as a part of your independence, as some of you may have had everything done for you by your parents until now.
I just went to the financial aid page of UTMB as an example and it clearly outlined all the steps you have to take to apply for Federal loans (subsidized and nonsubsidized). It tells you about other loans that may be available for disadvantaged students. Financial Aid page UTMB
It tells you when loan disbursement occurs at their school (10 days before classes start).

None of the financial aid sources /loans will give you more money than your estimated cost of attendance. Cost of attendance includes tuition, fees, health insurance, rent, and other costs of living like food, clothing and transportation. Some med schools are in a higher rent zone so the financial aid office will make your estimates based on the area.
If you are lucky enough to get some scholarship or grant that does not have to be paid back, don't be upset that you don't get "that money" in addition to the loans you were approved for. The financial aid office will subtract that from the loans you will take out to attend school. Don't be mad, be glad that there is less debt in your future.

This waiting period between acceptance and matriculation is a great time to educate yourself on the financial aspects of your upcoming years.
Use this time wisely before you are too busy in med school to figure it out.

Reactions: 7 users
The timing of loan disbursement means that you need a buffer of funds to begin school and to pay your first month's rent/deposit at your new apartment.
1. What if you had planned to attend this school, but 2 weeks before orientation you get in from the WL of a school you prefer? School A doesn't have a way to give over your tuition money to school B, and would there be money you already spent from your loan earmarked for School A, would you have to give that back and re-start your financial aid paperwork for school B? Special scholarships awarded by school A are not transferrable to school B.
2. There are unscrupulous individuals, usually at the college level or especially at the 100% online colleges, who would take the loan disbursement money and never show up at school. Paying the tuition portion of a loan directly from the feds to the school heads off this problem.

Whatever school you plan to attend, go to the financial aid page on their website and read it thoroughly.
You will be surprised how much information is there. Financial knowledge will be important to your future and as a part of your independence, as some of you may have had everything done for you by your parents until now.
I just went to the financial aid page of UTMB as an example and it clearly outlined all the steps you have to take to apply for Federal loans (subsidized and nonsubsidized). It tells you about other loans that may be available for disadvantaged students. Financial Aid page UTMB
It tells you when loan disbursement occurs at their school (10 days before classes start).

None of the financial aid sources /loans will give you more money than your estimated cost of attendance. Cost of attendance includes tuition, fees, health insurance, rent, and other costs of living like food, clothing and transportation. Some med schools are in a higher rent zone so the financial aid office will make your estimates based on the area.
If you are lucky enough to get some scholarship or grant that does not have to be paid back, don't be upset that you don't get "that money" in addition to the loans you were approved for. The financial aid office will subtract that from the loans you will take out to attend school. Don't be mad, be glad that there is less debt in your future.

This waiting period between acceptance and matriculation is a great time to educate yourself on the financial aspects of your upcoming years.
This is good information, thank you.

Still fundamentally broken in my opinion.

We’ve identified the problem and some of the reasoning behind the decisions that have been made. Time to start looking for solutions that work for everyone. :)

Does med school have bridge loans?

This is good information, thank you.

Still fundamentally broken in my opinion.

We’ve identified the problem and some of the reasoning behind the decisions that have been made. Time to start looking for solutions that work for everyone. :)
You're certainly entitled to your opinions!

Does med school have bridge loans?
As far as I have found online, they do not.

I’m pretty sure no medical school in Texas offers any sort of financial aid (loans) of their own - they just help facilitate the loans (someone please correct me if I’m wrong here). Of course that doesn’t apply to grants and scholarships.

Am I crazy or does that not seem broken to everyone else?
I think it would be if they surprised you with it which my school didn’t. It’s not impossibly hard to save up 3 weeks of bills, but I’m sure there are some who may struggle more with it. I have a credit card for things like this- I can put whatever on there then when I get my loans, just pay it off. That’s what I would advise to anyone needing some coverage.

I think it would be if they surprised you with it which my school didn’t. It’s not impossibly hard to save up 3 weeks of bills, but I’m sure there are some who may struggle more with it. I have a credit card for things like this- I can put whatever on there then when I get my loans, just pay it off. That’s what I would advise to anyone needing some coverage.
The credit card bit is good practical advice, for those that are able to do so.

Many will not be able to take this route for various reasons; credit score, etc., so it is definitely not a practical solution to the problem as a whole.

As far as it being easy to save up a couple weeks worth of bills, on top of moving expenses, etc. (and it really could be significantly more or less than 3 weeks depending on the school and other factors) that is likely true for the average matriculant.

However the average matriculant is far above the average SES of the population. Systemic issues like this (e.g. delaying the disbursement of funds) actively prevent lower SES from applying, becoming accepted, and matriculating.

This is a problem that medical schools, the AMA, AAMC, etc., etc., have recognized and are ostensibly seeking to address. I do not want only high SES medical students, that is bad for the health of our communities. This is well documented. Who do you want as medical students and physicians? Does the current system adequately meet those goals? If not, what can be done about it? Good things to think about imo.

I do take the points @wysdoc makes around the topic of loans/disbursement to be valid concerns/additional issues to be addressed. And I genuinely appreciate the different perspective they bring.

As an aside, I love the pragmatic advice in this thread on the various topics we’ve discussed, but there seems to be some pushback as to actually trying to understand and address the root cause of these problems. So, if these “essays” (as someone lovingly put it) are too much for this thread I can take them elsewhere, but these issues directly affect current and future premeds, medical students, physicians, the patients they serve, their friends and family, the nation and international community as a whole, and literally every second of our lives. And I think a little critical thinking and discussion amongst colleagues (on topics outside the medical science and its direct application), would do wonders for the state of medicine.

In fact, I’ll probably just go ahead and remove myself for now. Peace, love, and good luck to everyone!

Here is a thread on how to fund the move that completely jumped the shark. They never identified anyone giving loans before the start.

I went searching for bridge loans and it looks like they are focused on end of medicine and not beginning. Lots of orgs will to offer loans to a future resident.

Here is one to keep in your backpocket if you need money along the way in med school.

Does the April 30th deadline where medical applicants must make their choice of which program they want to attend apply to out of state schools. Say I have an offer from an AMCAS school and also matched into a Texas school. Do I need to be concerned about this deadline and choose which school I want to attend by April 30th?

Does the April 30th deadline where medical applicants must make their choice of which program they want to attend apply to out of state schools. Say I have an offer from an AMCAS school and also matched into a Texas school. Do I need to be concerned about this deadline and choose which school I want to attend by April 30th?
I am in the same situation. I do believe that April 30th is the deadline to narrow down to 1 choice. CYMS gives the option to pick one school (even the TMDSAS school you matched to). I think you can stay on WL but not sure about that. Again not super sure, would love if someone could confirm or provide the accurate info.

@medalik to the best of my knowledge, yes! And @wysdoc or someone else can confirm so I don't confuse folks who may need this info:

1) If you have multiple acceptances (including TX and national ones), you must choose a school by April 30th (by using the Choose My School tool in AMCAS or whatever it's called)

2) if you only have once acceptance and one waitlist offer, you can wait for the waitlist offer until May 15th

3) for folks with no offers, they can be on waitlists until much later something like even right before orientation week....