The Republic of Texas XXVIII: Like Chuck Norris, we don't sleep; we wait...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Conjecture is better than nothing I guess. :rolleyes:
I basically haven't learned anything by sitting in our admissions committee meetings, you're right.

it's probably more likely that they re-review 500+ applications every time a single spot opens up.

Members don't see this ad.

I basically haven't learned anything by sitting in our admissions committee meetings, you're right.

it's probably more likely that they re-review 500+ applications every time a single spot opens up.

Dude, chillax.

Unless your currently sitting in on the admissions committee meetings currently taking place at UTHSCSA, its basically a guess (educated or not). I didn't make any assumptions about what was likely or not, just relaying the information I was given by the dean. My point was simply that none of us really know, so why waste our time trying to make assumptions. There are enough neurotic guessing games on this site already.

Wasn't saying anything about you personally man.
You guys are intense.

Dude, chillax.

Unless your currently sitting in on the admissions committee meetings currently taking place at UTHSCSA, its basically a guess (educated or not). I didn't make any assumptions about what was likely or not, just relaying the information I was given by the dean. My point was simply that none of us really know, so why waste our time trying to make assumptions. There are enough neurotic guessing games on this site already.

Wasn't saying anything about you personally man.
You guys are intense.
I was only expanding upon what you said with the information I know about what certain schools do, since it's likely that UTHSCSA behaves similarly.

I wouldn't have reacted how I did if you hadn't given me the rolleyes :) No big deal though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I've seen in another thread that mgirl (pretty sure that's the name) interviewed at 5 schools, no pre-matches, matched to TCOM, then got accepted off the waitlist at UTHSCSA in July.

Yep, that's what happened! Except it was in June right before the June 15th cutoff, not July. ;)

I remember being in y'all's shoes...it was pretty awful. But keep your heads up, you'll have an idea of where you'll be soon enough. Even if you don't match, waitlist movement DOES happen! I never in a million years thought I would get in off a waitlist but I did.

As for UTHSCSA's waitlist, I don't really have much to add. In the waitlist letter they tell you that it's not ranked, (I believe they say it's a waiting "pool" not list) but I think that there has to be some kind of ranking cause there's NO way they review every single application over again when spots open up.

Also, I'm pretty sure that no school will tell you where you rank on their waitlist. I got a lot of waitlist letters, and they all said that they either didn't have a ranked list or wouldn't be able to disclose your ranking to you.

So tell me if this would even be worthwhile, if I have to reapply. I can take one course between now and when the next cycle's app opens (I work full time so one course is really all I can get in). This one class would only raise my science GPA by .02 and my cumulative by .01. Then I could send my app in as early as possible and take another course over the summer to further increase my GPA by an additional .01 (sci) and .01 (cumla.). So after two classes I've barely made any improvement to my numbers, it really only gives me an answer to the question "what have you done since you applied last cycle." Makes me wonder if it is really worth it. Thoughts?

it doesn't sound significant to me, unless the courses are very relevant to med school, like upper-level science courses.

I was considering AP 1 and AP 2 and if possible a biochem (not a night course so it would be tough to fit it in). There are very few upper level bio courses offered as night courses near me...it is mostly only lower level.

I was considering AP 1 and AP 2 and if possible a biochem (not a night course so it would be tough to fit it in). There are very few upper level bio courses offered as night courses near me...it is mostly only lower level.
always worth it to show consistent strong performance.

do med schools know the order in which you rank your schools and if so does that impact their decision on matching you or do they plan to or not to match you prior to you ranking?

do med schools know the order in which you rank your schools and if so does that impact their decision on matching you or do they plan to or not to match you prior to you ranking?
rank the schools in the order you want to go to them. don't worry about anything other than that.

but no, they don't know how you rank them.

Hey, did any of yall use the pre-health committee review LOR?

How many letters do people usually give to the pre health committee? I know on TMDSAS website they only require 2 letters if you go the Individual route without the committee.

Do they want/recommend the letters to be from specific people? (2 science profs, 1 non-science, 1 other, & Committee cover letter)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, did any of yall use the pre-health committee review LOR?

How many letters do people usually give to the pre health committee? I know on TMDSAS website they only require 2 letters if you go the Individual route without the committee.

Do they want/recommend the letters to be from specific people? (2 science profs, 1 non-science, 1 other, & Committee cover letter)

Thanks!
I gave my pre-health committee 5, plus they wrote their own letter: 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 volunteer, 1 research.

I know I said I had posted my last post, but I got this email from the president today that I thought you all would find interesting:

January 12, 2010

To: The Rice University and Baylor College of Medicine communities

We are writing to inform you that Baylor College of Medicine and Rice University have ended our discussions about a possible merger of our two institutions. At the same time, both institutions have agreed to develop further our existing academic and research relationship, which has grown significantly over the years.

Since we signed a memorandum of understanding in March of 2009, we have been in extensive discussions in an attempt to meet several conditions that both institutions considered to be essential for a successful merger. We joined in a thorough and deliberate process that explored the many benefits and challenges a merger would entail. With the MOU due to expire this month, the leadership of both institutions decided it is in the best interests of both BCM and Rice University to strengthen the existing relationship without a formal merger.

The months of discussion have provided a great deal of information that we will use to build on existing joint programs, such as in neuroscience and global health initiatives, and to create new ones that will best serve both institutions. A report prepared by a joint committee of faculty members from each institution identified many possibilities for collaboration that will be considered in the coming months.

We want to thank our administrative and faculty teams for their hard and creative work over the past year. Our respect for each other increased daily as we grew to know each other and each other's work better. We learned that we share similar missions and a commitment to the highest standards of education, research and community service. So, while we are bringing the merger discussions to a close, we are opening a new chapter of collaboration that will advance the field of biomedicine and improve human health.

David W. Leebron William T. Butler
President Interim President
Rice University Baylor College of Medicine

In a Chuck Norris named thread, this is only appropriate.

http://tinyurl.com/cbcpnc

Read the red text once the page finishes loading :laugh:

Edit: The suggestions are also pretty great...

If you did a CBC on Chuck Norris, you'd find that he has 100% Natural Killer Cells.

Not to change the subject, but anyone have any good links for info on the gubernatorial candidates? Not really the place for discussion I'm sure, but I'm just trying to do some research on them all. Yes I can google, just thought someone might have a good site with easily arranged data.

Hey guys!

Quick q: For TMDSAS, are all classes under BIO (or other science heading) considered in the BCPM GPA? For ex: independent courses, such as TA hours, or upper-level writing? Research credits? :xf:

Thanks!

My research credits counted as science, not sure about the TA hours and writing though

My research credits counted as science, not sure about the TA hours and writing though

Thanks! I hope the others do as well. :xf: 6 hours of potential A's will make a difference in my BCPM for sure.

hey which out of state schools are friendly to Texas residents?? any of yall apply to OOS schools? just wondering if filling out the AMCAS would be worth it since the best chances are in state. (i dont plan on applying to baylor unless i kill the MCAT)

hey which out of state schools are friendly to Texas residents?? any of yall apply to OOS schools? just wondering if filling out the AMCAS would be worth it since the best chances are in state. (i dont plan on applying to baylor unless i kill the MCAT)

I applied OOS and was accepted to 3 OOS schools. If you are really competitive for Texas, don't do AMCAS because AMCAS is damn expensive. I eventually ended up accepted to a Texas school so if I had it to do over, I would have saved the thousands that I spent on AMCAS and AMCAS school secondaries. MSAR lists the out of state statistics for each school. It'll give you a good idea of which schools are OOS friendly.

Hey SDN, long time no see.

For anyone in the deep pit of despair that is putting together a pref list, I got an extensive list of questions about PLFSOM from a couple of your SDN colleagues. I have posted the answers (my opinions) on the PLFSOM forum. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9112503&posted=1#post9112503

Just wanted everyone to know it was there. It's quite lengthy so I didn't want to take up that much space here.

Good luck to everyone. You are so close to done. Hang in there.

and I leave you with this. "Tried to take control of love, but love took control of me...so I think I better let it go. Looks like another Love TKO!!" Teddy Pendergrass died yesterday, and Love TKO is one of my all-time favorites.

i guess by now eveyone is done contemplating on which school to rank and blah blah blah. Now the real waiting begins. This will be the most grueling 2weeks of my life. lol. Geezz, from a parent standpoint i think this wait is even more difficult than when i went through child birth.lol.lol.
God have Mercy and please grant us our heart desires.

i guess by now eveyone is done contemplating on which school to rank and blah blah blah. Now the real waiting begins. This will be the most grueling 2weeks of my life. lol. Geezz, from a parent standpoint i think this wait is even more difficult than when i went through child birth.lol.lol.
God have Mercy and please grant us our heart desires.

Good luck to you! Hope you get into Tech like you hope :)

In 16.5 days we'll know! Who knows, maybe I'll be at Tech too! :)

Good luck to everyone!

and the waiting begins..........
i hope we all get in :)

second time around and hoping for an acceptance this year...good luck to all:luck::xf::)

I have been MIA for a while, but I wanted to wish those who have the match coming up some major luck!!!!! :luck:

:) Hope to see some of you at Tech next year!!

The anticipation is great, I'm sure. Here's to the class of 2014! Good luck! :)

13.5more days to go. God pls look deep in our hearts and grant us our desires according to ure wishes in glory. AMEN:)

Hey everyone, I kind of have a weird situation and I am hoping someone here could maybe have some answers. My dad got laid off and my family ended up moving to Dallas from Colorado this past October. I am planning on applying during the next cycle but i am having trouble getting straight answers from anyone at TMDSAS and the individual medical schools concerning my residency in the state of Texas. From what I've gathered so far I will be a resident of Texas in October 2010, but this is after the application deadline so tmdsas say I won't be considered in state. I would really like to know how the schools in Texas will view me because I am trying to decide if I should apply to AMCAS schools. has anyone on here gone through or heard of a similar situation? Will I just be placed in the highly competetive OOS pool? My stats are a 30 MCAT with a 3.8 GPA if that helps at all. I really would appreciate any info you guys might have! Oh and good luck to all those waiting on the match!

Hey everyone, I kind of have a weird situation and I am hoping someone here could maybe have some answers. My dad got laid off and my family ended up moving to Dallas from Colorado this past October. I am planning on applying during the next cycle but i am having trouble getting straight answers from anyone at TMDSAS and the individual medical schools concerning my residency in the state of Texas. From what I've gathered so far I will be a resident of Texas in October 2010, but this is after the application deadline so tmdsas say I won't be considered in state. I would really like to know how the schools in Texas will view me because I am trying to decide if I should apply to AMCAS schools. has anyone on here gone through or heard of a similar situation? Will I just be placed in the highly competetive OOS pool? My stats are a 30 MCAT with a 3.8 GPA if that helps at all. I really would appreciate any info you guys might have! Oh and good luck to all those waiting on the match!

According to TMDSAS, you will be OOS for application purposes. It is so close, that you should definitely file an appeal. You'll probably want to wait until after February 1 to contact them, but not much later.

no matter what category you fall under, if you get in, you'll be paying in state rates, because that is determined at the time of registration.

I didn't apply to any AMCAS schools this cycle, only TMDSAS. I've always heard that applying through AMCAS costs a lot. Can anyone elaborate on how much they spent on how many schools? Do most of the AMCAS schools charge for secondary applications? Thanks.

I didn't apply to any AMCAS schools this cycle, only TMDSAS. I've always heard that applying through AMCAS costs a lot. Can anyone elaborate on how much they spent on how many schools? Do most of the AMCAS schools charge for secondary applications? Thanks.

AMCAS is very expensive. And 99% of the AMCAS schools have secondary applications that cost anywhere from $60 to $125. Budget about $160 to submit AMCAS, $31 for each school you add, and an average of about $100 for each school's secondary to come up with a somewhat realistic budget for AMCAS.

AMCAS was prohibitively expensive for me as well. I don't remember the numbers I came up with (basically, the poster above me is pretty accurate) but TMDSAS was hell and away less expensive. AMCAS offers you 10 schools free if you qualify for the FAP, but their FAP application is very restrictive (if your parents are not forthcoming with financial information, regardless of your age/even if you don't live with them, you are out of luck). Just another reason I'm glad to be a Texan. ^.^

AMCAS was prohibitively expensive for me as well. I don't remember the numbers I came up with (basically, the poster above me is pretty accurate) but TMDSAS was hell and away less expensive. AMCAS offers you 10 schools free if you qualify for the FAP, but their FAP application is very restrictive (if your parents are not forthcoming with financial information, regardless of your age/even if you don't live with them, you are out of luck). Just another reason I'm glad to be a Texan. ^.^

Amen to that. I don't know why the rest of the country thinks this needs to be so expensive, we're managing just fine down here.

According to TMDSAS, you will be OOS for application purposes. It is so close, that you should definitely file an appeal. You'll probably want to wait until after February 1 to contact them, but not much later.

no matter what category you fall under, if you get in, you'll be paying in state rates, because that is determined at the time of registration.

Thanks for your reply! I think an appeal would be a good way to go. Should I email TMDSAS or is there a different person I should be contacting about a residency appeal?

Just to be clear, I have no idea if this will work. However, yes, I believe you'd contact TMDSAS in order to do that. TMDSAS makes its sound as if they make the residency decision for application purposes based on the Oct. 1 date, but the schools make the decision for tuition purposes based on class registration date. The other option is to find a way to fudge the dates, because seriously, its just a few days, right?

I sincerely hope that works out for you. It would be nice to have a little light at the end of the tunnel (light = Texas) for you and your family after your dad had to go through that. The savings alone could be higher that the average per capita income.

I appreciate your input hector, I'll try and contact them in february and hopefully they will be understanding. If TMDSAS goes by the book and classifies me as out of state, im hooping the schools will see that I live in Texas and give me a chance at their school. Texas is such a great state and I would be thrilled to go to any of their schools.

I appreciate your input hector, I'll try and contact them in february and hopefully they will be understanding. If TMDSAS goes by the book and classifies me as out of state, im hooping the schools will see that I live in Texas and give me a chance at their school. Texas is such a great state and I would be thrilled to go to any of their schools.

I believe I heard schools say they would take your connection to Texas into account when deciding on OOS students.

If you aren't able to get instate status by the time you apply I'd say definitely call/email all the schools and let them know that you've been living here for a while, will be resident in October and have strong familial connections to the state. This is a big deal to Texas schools and I'm fairly positive it would be taken into account, at least at Tech.