****The Official UNLV Dental Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Members don't see this ad :)
Called. Didn't get in. UNLV said to call back on Feb 15th, which is the next time the committee is meeting

Congrats to the people who got in - join the FB group! and good luck to those still waiting :)

Reactions: 2 users
Question about interview:

1. Should we be prepared to ask questions?

2. What should we emphasize in our responses?

3. How long should our answers be? I'm worried that I'm expected to have long and intricate responses for every question...

Reactions: 1 user
Question about interview:

1. Should we be prepared to ask questions?

2. What should we emphasize in our responses?

3. How long should our answers be? I'm worried that I'm expected to have long and intricate responses for every question...
1) Yes, they really want that.
2) Answer their questions clearly, you don't necessarily have to emphasize anything.
3) It could be up to 1-2 minutes, but I wouldn't worry. Everyone who I have talked to said it was basically just a conversation. They sprinkled in 1-2 questions but it wasn't even dental related.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today OOS! Interviewed in September

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys, my interview was on Jan 6th......
I see some of you called and asked, I am just too nervous to call!
Should I call tomorrow and ask if I got in or not:nailbiting:..?
Congrats for everyone who got accepted!

Hi guys, my interview was on Jan 6th......
I see some of you called and asked, I am just too nervous to call!
Should I call tomorrow and ask if I got in or not:nailbiting:..?
Congrats for everyone who got accepted!
Just call and ask for a status update. You got nothing to lose. They were very nice about it and had no issues looking into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just call and ask for a status update. You got nothing to lose. They were very nice about it and had no issues looking into it.

Just called and asked about my application status and was told to call back on Feb 15....- said they didn't look at my application yet? ..
So it's not a bad news yet.... is it :(?
I really think UNLV is a good fit for me...love the school... I really wish I can get in this cycle...
Maybe I'll just move to Nevada if I don't get in this time, I think I'll like it there better than where I am now..

I guess I just need to cross my fingers and wait!

i have an interview and i haven't taken the full anatomy or physiology courses. are they strict on this? would i have to do it before?

i have an interview and i haven't taken the full anatomy or physiology courses. are they strict on this? would i have to do it before?

It's required, but you can take it online. Call in and dawn will tell you where you can take it :) I believe it has to be done by June

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users

Just called and asked about my application status and was told to call back on Feb 15....- said they didn't look at my application yet? ..
So it's not a bad news yet.... is it :(?
I really think UNLV is a good fit for me...love the school... I really wish I can get in this cycle...
Maybe I'll just move to Nevada if I don't get in this time, I think I'll like it there better than where I am now..

I guess I just need to cross my fingers and wait!
Moving to Vegas actually isn't a bad idea of you are truly set on UNLV. You can get resident status after 12 months and the number of instate applications they get is super low compared to OOS applicants. I was honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed my visit to UNLV. I actually made the effort to send a thank you card to them. I didn't even do that for my state school.

Hey! I'm a DS1 at UNLV right now. I didn't have the anatomy requirements by my interview either. (I only took one semester) And I was about to graduate from undergrad like 2 months after my interview. I ended up taking the anatomy class offered online by BYU independent study and that fulfilled my anatomy requirement.

Hey! I'm a DS1 at UNLV right now. I didn't have the anatomy requirements by my interview either. (I only took one semester) And I was about to graduate from undergrad like 2 months after my interview. I ended up taking the anatomy class offered online by BYU independent study and that fulfilled my anatomy requirement.
Oh ok that's not a bad idea!
Also I realized I have only 1 quarter of biochemistry it's all my undergrad required, should I have taken the series? why am I just realizing this ugh

Oh ok that's not a bad idea!
Also I realized I have only 1 quarter of biochemistry it's all my undergrad required, should I have taken the series? why am I just realizing this ugh

I'm not sure about biochemistry! I would call admissions and see what they recommend!

So I interviewed on Dec 2nd, and felt I had a very strong interview. I called admissions earlier this week, and said I would find out the status of my application on Feb 15th after the next meeting because my application was still being processed. Is that a way of saying I'm on the waitlist or did my application really just not get processed for a whole month?

So I interviewed on Dec 2nd, and felt I had a very strong interview. I called admissions earlier this week, and said I would find out the status of my application on Feb 15th after the next meeting because my application was still being processed. Is that a way of saying I'm on the waitlist or did my application really just not get processed for a whole month?

There's honestly no way any of us can tell you what has happened with your application. They may still be processing your application or they may have already made their decision. I hate to put the idea of a bad outcome coming in regards to your application. But it seems as if they do not make denied applications known until later, after interviews are done. This is how I understood it at least after asking Dr. Ancajas how soon we would hear about denied applications. Try to stay positive though!

Last edited:
anybody remember from the last interview session if they mentioned how many OOS students have paid a deposit

anybody remember from the last interview session if they mentioned how many OOS students have paid a deposit
I don't know if this is the answer you're looking for, but I saw the number 19 for OOS and 41 for total. I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Are they still sending out interview invites?

No they are done interviewing for this cycle. They only interviewed 260 students this year, down from the 410 last year. (They said 400 students was just to many interviews).

I interviewed yesterday and it was the final interview day of the cycle. They have only received 58 deposits so still have 24 seats open.

They will be making decisions on Feb 15. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anybody know if we need to bring any teeth to practice on? Or is everything we are going to need provided by the school? I can't recall if this was ever mentioned during the interview.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I wish everyone who is still waiting for decisions the best of luck. February is a big month.

Does anybody know if we need to bring any teeth to practice on? Or is everything we are going to need provided by the school? I can't recall if this was ever mentioned during the interview.

I don't THINK we'll need teeth; I have a memory of an advisor saying we won't be needing to, but I can't recall if that was for-sure UNLV. I do know that the current patient pool is huge

I'm pretty sure you won't get much time in the sim lab until second semester. First semester if I remember right DS1's have 32 or 34 credits.

Correct about the patient pool- there is never a shortage of patients to work on at UNLV which is great for clinical experience.

What do you mean by bringing teeth to practice on? Real extracted teeth or plastic teeth??

What do you mean by bringing teeth to practice on? Real extracted teeth or plastic teeth??
I was referring to real teeth. Some schools have you bring them to practice things like endo on. I'm not sure if UNLV is one of those schools though.

Real teeth. Many schools will ask you to collect teeth so you have some to practice in school.

I was referring to real teeth. Some schools have you bring them to practice things like endo on. I'm not sure if UNLV is one of those schools though.

Yes it is. My class has been collecting teeth since the beginning of first semester. You will need them for operative which starts your second semester and then later for endo. Any teeth collected go through a sterilization process through UNLV. You can just bring jars to dental offices in the city when your first semester starts. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now but I guess it can't hurt to be prepared. I'm a DS1 at unlv btw if you have any other questions.

Yes it is. My class has been collecting teeth since the beginning of first semester. You will need them for operative which starts your second semester and then later for endo. Any teeth collected go through a sterilization process through UNLV. You can just bring jars to dental offices in the city when your first semester starts. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now but I guess it can't hurt to be prepared. I'm a DS1 at unlv btw if you have any other questions.
Awesome! Thanks for clearing it up for me. If you don't mind answering this for me. How many teeth should I collect before calling it good? I have a few connections here in my home state and feel that I can get a good amount collected. I just don't know how fast I'll be going through them as a student.

Awesome! Thanks for clearing it up for me. If you don't mind answering this for me. How many teeth should I collect before calling it good? I have a few connections here in my home state and feel that I can get a good amount collected. I just don't know how fast I'll be going through them as a student.

As many as you can! The more you have, the more prepared you'll be to actually work in a person's mouth :p

Shoot. Hopefully I have a reason to collect teeth soon. Worked for an office that did so many extractions.

Did anybody call today since it's the second week of February - they said they'll start making acceptances this week I think?

Did anybody call today since it's the second week of February - they said they'll start making acceptances this week I think?

The committee is meeting February 14th (tomorrow) and they said decisions will be sent out on the 15th (Wednesday) and to call on/after the 15th if you want to know your status/haven't heard back. Soooooo roughly 24-48hrs until we hear back my friends. PRAYING for all of us that are still in the running STAY HOPEFUL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Positive vibes for everyone!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Just got the call from Dr. Ancajas about 15 minutes ago; I'm in! Good luck to everyone else.

Just got the admissions call! Good luck people :)

Omg just got the call. UNLV here I come!!

Congrats to those who got the call! The next 4 years are going to be fun!