****The Official UNLV Dental Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Are you absolutely sure?? I'm hoping so haha

99% unless someone at UNLV can correct me! Currently black scrubs are the senior class; since they're graduating, that scrub color will be rotated to us, the new freshman class

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
99% unless someone at UNLV can correct me! Currently black scrubs are the senior class; since they're graduating, that scrub color will be rotated to us, the new freshman class

That's what I was thinking too. Can a current dental student please confirm this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I received the acceptance packet today! For those wondering, it contains:

1- Acceptance letter
2- Letter of interest form
3- Background check info
4- Ocular exam info
5- Housing info

I was told that the scrub colors for incoming D1 are going to be bright yellow at UNLV. Not sure where people are getting black scrubs from.

I will also be turning down my acceptance here, good luck to those interviewing!

Reactions: 2 users
I was told that the scrub colors for incoming D1 are going to be bright yellow at UNLV. Not sure where people are getting black scrubs from.
During my interview I recall admin saying that the class of 2021 will have black scrubs. I hope it's not yellow!

Turning down my seat! enjoy unlv it looks awesome!

Interview today was LIT. I was impressed with the school and it was fun to meet up with some fellow SDNers.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL them cheesecake bites though.

I interviewed back in September and sadly didn't get accepted... yet! This is by far my number one school and I'm just curious with the whole "formula" they have, what was everyones scores not including the interview part?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed back in September and sadly didn't get accepted... yet! This is by far my number one school and I'm just curious with the whole "formula" they have, what was everyones scores not including the interview part?

I think about 38 pre-interview, I was accepted. Good luck to you :) it's a lovely school and I hope you get it

What are these scores you speak of?
Its give as part of the presentation and they say this is the score they use to determine who gets in.
PART 1
((CUM GPA + SCI GPA)/8)x(RC/30)x((BIO+QR+OCHEM)/90)x75=A

PART 2
This is your interview performance: Student and faculty interview you and give you a 1-5 with 5 being the best applicant possible.

((Student interview)/5) x (Faculty interview/5) x 25 = B

Cited: from another poster on SDN.

Its give as part of the presentation and they say this is the score they use to determine who gets in.
PART 1
((CUM GPA + SCI GPA)/8)x(RC/30)x((BIO+QR+OCHEM)/90)x75=A

PART 2
This is your interview performance: Student and faculty interview you and give you a 1-5 with 5 being the best applicant possible.

((Student interview)/5) x (Faculty interview/5) x 25 = B

Cited: from another poster on SDN.
Interesting. I didn't hear anything about this when I interviewed.

Make sure you contact them and let them know that they're your number 1. Dr. K emphasized doing this during our interview.

Good luck! Hope you get in.

I actually had a 40 pre interview and I didn't get in aha. I guess I really messed up that interview

I actually had a 40 pre interview and I didn't get in aha. I guess I really messed up that interview

The formula definitely helps filter applicants, but I don't think if you get a certain score that anything is guaranteed. This is where you EC's and experiences come into play.

Make sure you contact them and let them know that they're your number 1. Dr. K emphasized doing this during our interview.

Good luck! Hope you get in.

When is the best time to do this? Right before you interview? Right after? A few weeks after?

Are we talking about Karl Kingsley? I would love to go to UNLV and haven't heard back. It would be awesome to get in contact with someone!

Hey guys I have a few questions about UNLV and I suppose dental school in general.

1) If you get "accepted" does that mean you could possibly still be on the waitlist? Or does that mean you are clear to pay the deposit and you will be enrolled once you do that?
2) Once you pay the deposit (and fill out the necessary paperwork) are you officially enrolled?
3) I believe I have seen people get "waitlisted" for UNLV already this cycle. I will be interviewing there next week, so does that mean that even if my interviewer likes me and I get accepted then I could still be placed on the waitlist? From what I understand, once all of the spots are completely filled, THEN they begin to put people on the waitlist. Or is that not how it works?
4) Do all dental schools have a similar stance to UNLV with their acceptances/waitlist/deposits?

Haha so basically to sum it all up I DONT GET HOW WAITLISTS/ACCEPTANCES/DEPOSITS WORK! Thank you for the help :)

Last edited:
Hey guys I have a few questions about UNLV and I suppose dental school in general.

1) If you get "accepted" does that mean you could possibly still be on the waitlist? Or does that mean you are clear to pay the deposit and you will be enrolled once you do that?
2) Once you pay the deposit (and fill out the necessary paperwork) are you officially enrolled?
3) I believe I have seen people get "waitlisted" for UNLV already this cycle. I will be interviewing there next week, so does that mean that even if my interviewer likes me and I get accepted then I could still be placed on the waitlist? From what I understand, once all of the spots are completely filled, THEN they begin to put people on the waitlist. Or is that not how it works?
4) Do all dental schools have a similar stance to UNLV with their acceptances/waitlist/deposits?

Haha so basically to sum it all up I DONT GET HOW WAITLISTS/ACCEPTANCES/DEPOSITS WORK! Thank you for the help :)

1- Accepted means you're cleared to pay the deposit
2- Technically speaking you're not officially "enrolled" until you've actually enrolled in the actual courses (at least, I don't think so). Also, when you get the acceptance letter, it states that this acceptance is dependent on you completing any remaining prerequisites with a "C" or better, and also passing the background check.
3- Not entirely sure how this one works! I know for one of the other schools I interviewed at, I was waitlisted (I was one of the first interview batches), and someone who interviewed very recently got accepted without being put on a waitlist
4- I would imagine for the most part that they operate on a generally similar basis

1- Accepted means you're cleared to pay the deposit
2- Technically speaking you're not officially "enrolled" until you've actually enrolled in the actual courses (at least, I don't think so). Also, when you get the acceptance letter, it states that this acceptance is dependent on you completing any remaining prerequisites with a "C" or better, and also passing the background check.
3- Not entirely sure how this one works! I know for one of the other schools I interviewed at, I was waitlisted (I was one of the first interview batches), and someone who interviewed very recently got accepted without being put on a waitlist
4- I would imagine for the most part that they operate on a generally similar basis
Thank you for the quick response!
So does that mean there are 3 "lists" (accepted, waitlisted, and denied) for practically every school? What moves someone from the waitlist to the accepted spot, since apparently they keep adding people to the accepted list without moving people up the waitlist? Also, do you know what exactly shows up on the background check? Is it criminal record, academic integrity, both, others?
Sorry for all the questions haha I feel like a child

Thank you for the quick response!
So does that mean there are 3 "lists" (accepted, waitlisted, and denied) for practically every school? What moves someone from the waitlist to the accepted spot, since apparently they keep adding people to the accepted list without moving people up the waitlist? Also, do you know what exactly shows up on the background check? Is it criminal record, academic integrity, both, others?
Sorry for all the questions haha I feel like a child

Not sure what determines waitlist movement! But for background checks this link should help:

https://www.jobunlocker.com/blog/how-does-an-employment-background-check-work/

You guys have any advice on getting a taxi or uber to the interview? I'm worried that I'll risk being late to the interview, but a rental is a lot more expensive.

You guys have any advice on getting a taxi or uber to the interview? I'm worried that I'll risk being late to the interview, but a rental is a lot more expensive.

Depends how far away you are, it can actually get pricey! Plan to show up extra early if you're worried about going late. If you want an idea of what traffic will be like, google maps (the website on your computer) has a traffic prediction feature for specific times of day that I used

I used Uber throughout my stay in Vegas and thought it was fairly cheap. I picked a hotel close to UNLV so it was a 10 minute ride.

Do you guys know if UNLV re-calculates an applicant's score on the equation after the Academic Update?

Hey everyone, just wanted to inform all of you about some things I heard at my interview at UNLV last Friday. The class of 2017 is not full yet! They still have a good amount of seats open, and some interview invites are still being sent out as well. The Admissions Committee is meeting today to make their batch of acceptances, and they will be meeting again some time in early February for the following batch. They don't know how many people they will be accepting today, it all really depends on how long it takes them to agree on each candidate. The accepted students would get a letter via snail mail, but it should show up on your AADSAS portal by some time tomorrow if you are chosen. Also, some students (most likely Nevada residents) may receive a phone call from Dr. Ancajas in order to congratulate them on the good news, so look out for a phone call from the 702 area code. I hope this helps! I wish all of you the best :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, just wanted to inform all of you about some things I heard at my interview at UNLV last Friday. The class of 2017 is not full yet! They still have a good amount of seats open, and some interview invites are still being sent out as well. The Admissions Committee is meeting today to make their batch of acceptances, and they will be meeting again some time in early February for the following batch. They don't know how many people they will be accepting today, it all really depends on how long it takes them to agree on each candidate. The accepted students would get a letter via snail mail, but it should show up on your AADSAS portal by some time tomorrow if you are chosen. Also, some students (most likely Nevada residents) may receive a phone call from Dr. Ancajas in order to congratulate them on the good news, so look out for a phone call from the 702 area code. I hope this helps! I wish all of you the best :)

Excited to hear that! Patiently waiting for them...

The admission committee meeting was held today. I was fortunate to receive an acceptance call from Dr.Ancajas (IS). Hope everyone hears back soon.

The admission committee meeting was held today. I was fortunate to receive an acceptance call from Dr.Ancajas (IS). Hope everyone hears back soon.
Congrats!!! That is awesome. When was your interview day? And possibly your stats if you don't mind sharing.

By the way everyone, Dr. Ancajas let us know that if you have a total score of 55+ on UNLV's Evidence-Based Admissions Formula then you are considered a very competitive applicant. If you don't know what formula I am talking about then check it out here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/unlv-formula.457276/ . From what I have heard through SDN and some of the dental students unless you are very unlucky or just don't know how to communicate, you are going to get a 5/5 on both interviews. During my "interview" the faculty member and I had a pretty fun conversation and I don't even recall him asking me any real "interview questions". We just talked about life outside of school. It was way more relaxed then I could have ever imagined. The same goes for my"interview" with the dental student.

I'm in!!!!!! Holy crap...I can't believe it....

How did you find out?
I called. At the interview last week they mentioned they were meeting this week and to call if you wanted an update. Dr. Ancajas picked up the line and let me know. I'm in shock....They were making phone calls today though from what they said.

I called. At the interview last week they mentioned they were meeting this week and to call if you wanted an update. Dr. Ancajas picked up the line and let me know. I'm in shock....They were making phone calls today though from what they said.
Dang. Well congrats! I'm too nervous and scared to call. Kinda want to wait for the call instead, but maybe I'll call in. Was there a status change on your AADSAA portal?

Dang. Well congrats! I'm too nervous and scared to call. Kinda want to wait for the call instead, but maybe I'll call in. Was there a status change on your AADSAA portal?
Thanks! There was no status change for me.