***The Official UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone good luck! I can't believe it's already time for the c/o 2022 thread

The 2020 class is still anxiously waiting for our 2021 littles to join us next month :)

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!
Hi,
Does it really matter if we take the prerequisite courses in college or university?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for willing to answer some questions.
What is your favorite aspect of being a student at UCLA? How many OOS students do they interview? Do you feel like the cost of living in LA is much higher than most other places that have dental schools? Do you feel like there is a lot of teamwork and strong friendships in your class/other classes or do classmates keep to themselves?
Thanks again!!
School-specific favorites:
• The faculty you have here are amazing. You'll want to hate them because of how much they expect of you, but you just can't because they're such badasses in their respective fields. Many of them will go above and beyond to help those who show genuine interest in whatever it is you want to explore
• Your classmates will continue to push you to strive for the best (and not in the bad way). My classmates are so hardworking that it motivates me to do the same; they don't work hard at the expense of having a social life either. They give you the drive to maintain a certain standard in everything that you do

OOS students:
• I don't have specific numbers, but I am inclined to say <20 and the chances of you getting in after an interview invite is high
• We have roughly 4-5 OOS classmates, but the lower number could be because OOS students opt to go elsewhere or stay in their home states

Cost of LA:
• It is definitely high in my opinion. For a ~325 sq foot studio, I'm paying around $1470. This is also through graduate housing, so it's slightly lower in cost than comparable units that are unaffiliated with the school
• Classmates renting around the area probably pay anywhere from $1300-$1800 if they opt to stay around Westwood. This price range will be to share a 2 bd and 2 bath

Class dynamic:
• You will hear multiple times that it depends on the class; every class has its own personality
• Our class and the class above us definitely work together. We aren't as familiar with the 3rd and 4th years since we don't interact with them as much, but for us, we always have classmates offering their resources
• I think this type of attitude needs to be fostered early on. It just takes a few people to reach out in the beginning - offer help or notes, etc. - to set the tone
• There will always be small circles of friends that are closer, but we still plan social events to involve the class as a whole. I'd say we're a pretty cohesive bunch :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hi,
Does it really matter if we take the prerequisite courses in college or university?
I was transfer student myself, so I don't think it makes a difference (I took gchem and gbio part I at community college and others at a 4-year)
• If you have the grades on top of a solid DAT score to back it up, I can't imagine it being a problem

You probably wouldn't want to take the majority of them at a CC, though

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for willing to answer some questions.
What is your favorite aspect of being a student at UCLA? How many OOS students do they interview? Do you feel like the cost of living in LA is much higher than most other places that have dental schools? Do you feel like there is a lot of teamwork and strong friendships in your class/other classes or do classmates keep to themselves?
Thanks again!!

Here are last year's stats for OOS interviews at UCLA. It's pretty low. Only 2% of OOS applicants get interviews and 1% enrolled/accepted. This is from the ADEA Official guide (2017-2018 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools : American Dental Education Association)

Screenshot 2017-08-18 at 7.36.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Don't mean to interrupt this discussion, but does anyone else have "Received/Waiting Additional Information" still on their AADSAS? Thanks in advance!

Don't mean to interrupt this discussion, but does anyone else have "Received/Waiting Additional Information" still on their AADSAS? Thanks in advance!
I do. Their confirmation email said that the status would be updated on August 31st.

I do. Their confirmation email said that the status would be updated on August 31st.

I do too, even though other schools have marked my application as complete now. Also has anyone requested a fee waiver and gotten it? I just realized I never heard back from them about it...

I do too, even though other schools have marked my application as complete now. Also has anyone requested a fee waiver and gotten it? I just realized I never heard back from them about it...

hmm mine says application complete

Just got the supplemental and it asks for an "11 digit number given by AADSAS," but it's actually 10 digits. Do I enter a dash somewhere or just the 10 digits?

Just got the supplemental and it asks for an "11 digit number given by AADSAS," but it's actually 10 digits. Do I enter a dash somewhere or just the 10 digits?
I put 10 digits and nothing else, and the system took it. I think either should be fine. If it was a big enough issue, they would specified which how they want it by now.
Just curious... when did you submit your application? Cause I got the supplemental fee today too at like 2pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put 10 digits and nothing else, and the system took it. I think either should be fine. If it was a big enough issue, they would specified which how they want it by now.
Just curious... when did you submit your application? Cause I got the supplemental fee today too at like 2pm.
There's another supplemental part to the ones attached on AADSAS?

Everything was complete 8/7, what about you?

Anyone get a second identical email asking for the supplemental fee today? I paid it on 8/22 when I got the initial email, and also received confirmation for the payment. AADSAS switched to "application complete" soon after.

Anyone get a second identical email asking for the supplemental fee today? I paid it on 8/22 when I got the initial email, and also received confirmation for the payment. AADSAS switched to "application complete" soon after.
Same situation, but my app status is still "received / waiting additional info."

Same situation, but my app status is still "received / waiting additional info."
My status also says "received/ waiting additional information" and my application was completed since mid July.

When is UCLA gonna update the application status? Did not they say they will update on 8/31?

Interview invitation:

School: UCLA
Notification date: 9/5
Method of notification: Email
Residency: CA
Application completion date: 7/19
Interview Date: 9/12
GPA (science, overall): 4.00, 3.98
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26AA/30TS/22PAT/23RC/none

Reactions: 7 users
Hi all, my AADSAS status changed to Invited for Interview but I have not received any email. Does anyone know what this means? Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 2 users
Is it supposed to change to received/under review?
Hi all, my AADSAS status changed to Invited for Interview but I have not received any email. Does anyone know what this means? Thank you in advance!
Hello! When was your app complete, and did it say Received/Application complete prior to the change?

Hi. My status shows: "Received/Application Complete". Should it change to Under Review when it is under review?

My changed to Invited for Interview after I got the email invitation. Perhaps check your junk folder? If not, I agree that you'll probably get your email soon. Congrats!!!

Hello! When was your app complete, and did it say Received/Application complete prior to the change?

Application completion date: 7/14
GPA (science, overall): 4.00, 4.00
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24AA/25TS/22PAT/23RC/none

I submitted my application on July 14th, but my DAT scores were not sent to schools until August 17th (4 weeks later after I took it). My application did say Received/Application Complete prior to the change. Hope that helps!

I submitted my application on July 14th, but my DAT scores were not sent to schools until August 17th (4 weeks later after I took it). My application did say Received/Application Complete prior to the change. Hope that helps!

Congrats, dude! I'll see you there on Tuesday!

Yeah you keep checking your email for the acceptance email. Their expectation is really high for in state applicants, I wonder how they look at us out of state applicants...

Reactions: 1 users
Has anybody received interview invitations after 9/5 yet?

Last edited:
How were the interviews Hope you guys did well!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats, what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Interview #2: UCLA
Notification date: 9/21
Method of notification: email
Residency: California
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/15
Application complete date: 8/21
GPA (science, overall): 3.08, 3.27
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): AA 21/TS 19/PAT 21/ RC 25/none

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.