***The Official Howard University Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Do you need any proof of shadowing for Howard? Is 100 hours of shadowing enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to just wait one week from when I sent the email. I also called them and left a voicemail at the admissions office so I think they will respond to me since I did that as well. The check seems to have been cashed but they just never confirmed with me that they received it, so I'm hoping that it's because people are just on vacation or whatever. I heard last year there was a large lapse of time between when applicants sent stuff in and when they were contacted, so I'm not too worried. I'm also OOS. Most of us for Howard are OOS because it's in DC.
They haven't responded to any of my voicemails or emails in the past month, so expect a long wait and good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think shadowing experience is definitely something they value in an applicant but I would think that the quality of the experience is more valuable than quantity. However, 100 hours seems like more than enough!
Thanks for replying. I just wanted to know if I need letter from each dentist as a proof that I have shadowed. One of the dentist is willing to write me a recommendation letter. Should he send the letter directly via email to the Howard or is it different?

Anyone here with under 3.0 GPAs but high DATs?

Do they have a secondary application and if yes, how long is it?

I think there's a preference, but I mean they can't all be.....at least that's what I'm hoping for because I'm not URM.
If they had a preference for "only" minorities, it wouldn't be a preference ;)
Yeah I'm NOT URM and I would like to apply to this school I have alrady applied to bunch of other places but now I'm kinda worried and want to add this school. Do you guys think I should apply here if I'm URM

Last edited:
Yeah I'm URM and I would like to apply to this school I have alrady applied to bunch of other places but now I'm kinda worried and want to add this school. Do you guys think I should apply here if I'm URM
What kind of urm? Have you heard back from any other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are Asians ORM and worst candidates to apply at this school?

sorry I meant to say that I'm not URM and that's why I'm wondering if I should apply there
I mean I'm not entirely sure. This is my first time applying here so I don't know if it'll be worth it or not.

Last edited:
Also has anyone just had their application status change to under review but not received an email confirming supplementary fees were received? I received a confirmation email and my status changed luckily to "under review" back in August, but a few of my friends who aren't on SDN who applied here have seen their app status change to under review, but received no email confirming payment they sent in...
I got both an email confirming and a status update. Not sure what's going on with theirs.

I know this is a little early on to ask this and I have searched previous threads for information on this topic, but it is certainly something I am considering with every school I have applied to...Where would anyone recommend living near Howard U if one were to attend the school? I'm sure this question will be posed sometime later on in this thread but I believe it is definitely a daunting one since DC is so large and the rent in some areas (Adams Morgan and K Street) is so expensive. I saw someone mention in a previous thread that they commute from College Park, MD, but then that makes me wonder how long their commute actually was, and if there is parking available for dental students on campus...
I'm not sure how long to commute from College Park to Howard, but yes, there are garage parking permits available for sale from Howard University Hospital Parking office to dental/ dental hygienist students every year. Hope that help!

Any interviews yet? It seems as if the cycles prior to this one started getting them early September.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
A student there told me they're going through some accreditation stuff right now and that interview invites could MAYBE be pushed to October

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone taken the 60 pre req in a 2 year community college and still applying here?

Patiently waiting ... I think accreditation is over.

Hello SDN!

Its been a minute since i been on here. But i am a current D1 at HUCD! If you have any questions ill try my best to answer when i have free time. As far as interviews, i have not seen any interviewees come through mainly because CODA just came to howard last week for our accreditation, so the faculuty has been busy the past month getting ready for that. But now that its over i expect howard to start interviews very soon. Good luck!

Are Asians ORM and worst candidates to apply at this school?

I wouldnt say ORM but wouldnt say URM either. Howard is trying to be a very diverse school, many people have the impression that its just a black school but its not. We have all type of races in our class. Majority of them are black but from different parts of Africa, and from the Caribbean and Jamaica as well. Theres good amount of Indians, Pakistanis, European, and about 7 asians including myself. Hope this helps

I wouldnt say ORM but wouldnt say URM either. Howard is trying to be a very diverse school, many people have the impression that its just a black school but its not. We have all type of races in our class. Majority of them are black but from different parts of Africa, and from the Caribbean and Jamaica as well. Theres good amount of Indians, Pakistanis, European, and about 7 asians including myself. Hope this helps
I mean are there any students that aren't under any of those categories?

If you are an Asian do you have to have a great gpa and dat unlike other URMs?

I applied to Howard, and I just realized on the website that they require a minimum of 18 on all 8 sections of the DAT. My score is in the 20 range for AA, TS, BIO, GC, QR and RC. I have an 18 in OC and 17 in PAT. Will my 17 in PAT prevent me from being considered for Howard if they require 18 minimum in all sections?

I applied to Howard, and I just realized on the website that they require a minimum of 18 on all 8 sections of the DAT. My score is in the 20 range for AA, TS, BIO, GC, QR and RC. I have an 18 in OC and 17 in PAT. Will my 17 in PAT prevent me from being considered for Howard if they require 18 minimum in all sections?
I don't think so. I am sure they look at more than that. Keep your head up! :)

Last edited:
Well stated, Howard looks at your application as a WHOLE. They look for many things, alot of students with good numbers dont even get interviewed at howard, but get accepted to maryland or temple.
I don't think so. I am sure they look at more than that. Keep your head up! :)[/QUOTE

Hey everyone, just want to update yall. Saw the first group of students today for interviews. It was a small group about 8-10 students.

Reactions: 2 users
When should I be expecting a confirmation email about receiving my money order? Or should I be expecting one at all?

I sent it out about 2 weeks ago.

I couldn't find many answers to this anywhere so I was wondering...Does anyone know what to do about updating professional experience? Such as, if I started a new dental related volunteering experience that isn't on my AADSAS application (submitted 6/23/16)? Would I just get a letter from the supervisor and bring it to interviews? Or should I bring an updated resume?
You get to update your application in November as far as I know.

I couldn't find many answers to this anywhere so I was wondering...Does anyone know what to do about updating professional experience? Such as, if I started a new dental related volunteering experience that isn't on my AADSAS application (submitted 6/23/16)? Would I just get a letter from the supervisor and bring it to interviews? Or should I bring an updated resume?

send your professional/volunteering experience via email to school.

They may not reply at all because in some cases in the past some students received no money confirmation and still got invited for an interview, but if you email them to confirm the payment was received then they should respond. If your file changes to "Under Review" then that's a good indication they received it.
If you didnt send the money order within ten days of RECIEVING THE SUPPLEMENTAL email, then they dont even look at your application. But if you sent it within the ten days you are fine!

Did they ever respond to you via email or phone about your $75 supplemental app fee being received? Just wondering since it seems to be an issue for many people.

Just checked, and they did indeed send an email saying they received my application fee!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile