****The Official Columbia Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Obviously I don't go to Columbia dental school, but that doesn't mean I haven't actually spent time there. I have spent my entire life in New York City, and I'm confident in all the areas that I have volunteered at.

Whether you decide to walk 5-10 minutes for cheaper food "outside the bubble" is up to you. Everyone knows that Columbia Dental school's COA is not cheap, people will make sacrifices to cut down costs.

Obviously, you didn't read my previous messages clearly. I said there weren't any nearby Halal Guys, not the typical average halal stands on every 5 city blocks. Bruh I already said, there aren't any good Chinese Restaurants since they are not authentic.

You were going to hold your tongue because you didn't read all my food posts. So take the time to read it over.

By "authentic" do you mean " Doesn't have General Tso's"? Tbh I'm just trying to get some decent General Tso's and some white rice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
By "authentic" do you mean " Doesn't have General Tso's"? Tbh I'm just trying to get some decent General Tso's and some white rice.

General Tso, Orange Chicken and other delicious abominations are not authentic. If you are looking for these types of food, then look no further than cheap take out Chinese Restaurants.

General Tso, Orange Chicken and other delicious abominations are not authentic. If you are looking for these types of food, then look no further than cheap take out Chinese Restaurants.

Yup I'm aware, if they can make those well I'll be a happy camper

Okay I was going to hold my tongue, but for the good of the SDN community I'm going to give better foodie advice because it;s clear this person doesn't actually spend time where the dental school is. Most students live in the towers or really close to campus.

1. There are no bodegas within the Columbia "campus bubble" (west of Broadway from 167th to 172nd). The nearest is an 8-10 minute walk away and an unpopular choice when you're busy and have a limited time for lunch. You are very much in a bubble, with much better food options, so you'll learn right away the places that are within walking distance. Washington heights is known for bodegas OUTSIDE of our bubble, but if you actually spent time around campus it's clear that none exist that are convenient to get to. The dental school and "the Towers" (name for the tall student dorms) are allllll the way West, on Haven Ave. The most popular places to get breakfast are Hilltop Perk on Haven Ave ($3.00 bagels, really good), and Mike's Bagels on Broadway ($2.75 I think, but bad coffee). There is a Starbucks (really its a Barnes and Noble) that sells bagels as well and is RIGHT on campus if you're in a pinch, but they're not as good. There are also small food places within the academic buildings (cold sandwiches, the Hammer building has sushi!, lots of snacks and of course coffee).

I would say for lunch, popular places are: Hilltop Perk on Haven Ave (organic options, hot buffet for breakfast and lunch for $8.75/lb, sandwiches $9), Jou jou (chopped salad for $9, CASH ONLY, in between Broadway&Ft. Washington), Mike's Bagels (cold sandwiches $8, takes card), Chipotle, Como Pizza for a slice (really greasy for lunch though...), Tasty Deli (huge sandwiches, can't remember price), and Strokos (lots of organic options, salad bar, hot food, lots of sandwhich options...one of my favs), Thung Thai (great thai food)

You will probably be living on or very near campus (hopefully), so I know a lot of students pack their lunch in the mornings.

2. There is a green halal truck that has sat on campus (outside of Hammer on Ft. Washington/168th) for YEARS. I can literally see it now. How dare you say there is no halal around! They're very beloved, $6 for a chicken&lamb over rice plate. It's delicious.

3. There is a lack of good Asian food options in Washington Heights in general, unfortunately. There are 2 Chinese food places close by: Jade Garden (decent but not amazing), and Empire (has low ratings, seems sketch to me so I haven't tried). If you try to google map "Sushi", you'll see what I mean. There are no sushi places close to Columbia at all.

The area is only slightly dangerous if you go very very east on Broadway at NIGHT, and since there's not much there most people feel no need to venture there. Where the majority of students will be living, it's very, very safe. I have taken the subway to 168th at 3am and walked across campus - there is always police presence and people around because the hospital and ambulances are open. Also, there is a "safety ride" where if you are a Columbia student, you can call and give them your ID number and they'll come pick you up from where you are and take you to your dorm (from 10 minute radius, I believe...they won't pick you up from a midtown bar, haha). We get safety alerts whenever crimes happen to a Columbia student on campus - I don't think in 2 years I've ever received one from this area (ironically, all of the alerts have been from crimes happening downtown at the undergrad campus on 116th). The area is VERY SAFE, even if the people look different than the state you came from.

*Not a dental student. Hope this helps!

From the 8 or so months I've been here, I would say this is pretty accurate.

Just to add, if you want to get away and spend time/study elsewhere, Columbia Undergrad campus has a lot of good study spots like Butler Library, and they have even more food options interspersed in the area. Just a quick subway ride on the 1 down to 116th.

Reactions: 7 users
Quick question for the students on this thread: How much do you budget for a month (excluding rent)?

Has anyone heard anything recently?! I interviewed January 27th and still haven't heard a word...

Is there any hope for me or is it too late....?!?!! :dead:

Reactions: 1 users
Received an acceptance E-mail today! Interviewed December 2nd

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed post Dec 1 (perhaps in February...?) heard back yet?

Has anyone who interviewed post Dec 1 (perhaps in February...?) heard back yet?
I recently talked to one of the people from the admission office and she told me that they are still making decisions. So I guess we would have to wait a little longer.

I recently talked to one of the people from the admission office and she told me that they are still making decisions. So I guess we would have to wait a little longer.

My friend has been in contact with the admissions office as well. They e-mailed her recently saying,"At this time, the class is filling up and we are not sending out any other offers."
I also sent an e-mail around the same time my friend did, but I have not heard back. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing lol

My friend has been in contact with the admissions office as well. They e-mailed her recently saying,"At this time, the class is filling up and we are not sending out any other offers."
I also sent an e-mail around the same time my friend did, but I have not heard back. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing lol
Weird how it seems that they don't have an official "waitlist" this year

Reactions: 2 users
I just heard from a current student that they don't even reject anyone until the summer. If that's true, then those of us who are waiting could totally not be in the running at all even...

Is anyone planning to turn down their acceptance that hasn't already? I wonder how many accepted students Columbia expects to retain through April 1st

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone planning to turn down their acceptance that hasn't already? I wonder how many accepted students Columbia expects to retain through April 1st

I know a one or two people still deciding. I would expect a few seats to open up from people who decided to go to their state schools.

Yeah it's kind of weird that they don't have an official waitlist? I would rather just have *an* answer at this point

Like at this point I'm probably just going to give up because my second deposit is due on April 2nd and I need to start looking for housing now anyway...lol

I turned my spot down, hopefully someone can get it

Reactions: 7 users
He's going to Harvard.

Anyone know how long after the April 1st deadline Columbia usually starts accepting people off the waitlist/unofficial waitlist? April 1st came and went and luckily I did get into Penn a day before the deadline. I'm obviously thrilled, but I'm still very interested in Columbia, especially since I already live in NYC, among many other reasons.

Anyone know how long after the April 1st deadline Columbia usually starts accepting people off the waitlist/unofficial waitlist? April 1st came and went and luckily I did get into Penn a day before the deadline. I'm obviously thrilled, but I'm still very interested in Columbia, especially since I already live in NYC, among many other reasons.

Congrats!!!

And I have no idea, but hopefully we start to see some waitlist movement soon...

Did you guys (@trobb1 @Amart195 ) get officially waitlisted via email? Or are you assuming you were waitlisted because you haven't heard anything?

I just gave them a call and they said that no waitlist has been made yet because they are still waiting for students to respond. They aren't sure when the waitlist will be sent out because acceptances/decisions are still being made. We just have to stay patient. Ugh.

Reactions: 4 users
I just gave them a call and they said that no waitlist has been made yet because they are still waiting for students to respond. They aren't sure when the waitlist will be sent out because acceptances/decisions are still being made. We just have to stay patient. Ugh.

Ugh wonderful...

My withdrawal from my other school I deposited too wasn't processed over the weekend. Columbia is definitely hounding those who are reserving their seat past the deadline. Hope you guys get in!

Reactions: 2 users
My withdrawal from my other school I deposited too wasn't processed over the weekend. Columbia is definitely hounding those who are reserving their seat past the deadline. Hope you guys get in!
I haven't been accepted to any school so I'm really banking on Columbia at this point. Yikes.

Reactions: 4 users
Did you guys (@trobb1 @Amart195 ) get officially waitlisted via email? Or are you assuming you were waitlisted because you haven't heard anything?

I just assume that I've been waitlisted since I've been waiting, and waiting.

I feel like Columbia is a boyfriend who disappeared after the first date and never texted back. Lol

Reactions: 5 users
If this helps, an admission officer told us during my interview that they do have a waitlist of a size around 40. However, they didn't send out any emails telling people that they are waitlisted.

I just heard back from admissions.... They have not filled up the class and are still going to accept some more students.. So there's still hope!!

Last edited:
I just heard back from admissions.... They shave not filled up the class and are still going to accept some more students.. So there's still hope!!

Did they give any indication as to approximately when?

I just got an e-mail from Columbia that I have been put on the alternate list. Did anyone else get this e-mail and does anyone know how many people Columbia usually accepts from their alternate list?

Got waitlisted just now as well. Did anyone get rejected or are we all just waitlisted?

Alternate list as well.

I remember seeing ridiculous numbers of people that they accept off the waitlist, dunno if those numbers are true tho.

For all those waitlisted, there is only 40ish people in the Class of 2021 groupme, so don't lose hope!