****The Official Columbia Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

They haven't come yet but I know the max is 12.5k

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is this the max amount per year or is this the max for all four year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol per year....125k wouldn't get you very far for 4 years at that tuition

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from Columbia? I interviewed exactly one week ago on 01/13.

Anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from Columbia? I interviewed exactly one week ago on 01/13.
The committee meets every Friday to make decisions. As far as releasing those decisions goes anything is in the air. Also not every interviewer meets with the committee each week so not hearing anything is not necessarily bad news

The committee meets every Friday to make decisions. As far as releasing those decisions goes anything is in the air. Also not every interviewer meets with the committee each week so not hearing anything is not necessarily bad news
Gotcha. Ok. I'll sit tight. Thanks!

Waiting for August like...

jzc9UkS.gif

Reactions: 2 users
How important is biochemistry in the first year? I took Biochem over 5 yrs ago, and I am concerned about not having this knowledge as fresh as other students entering this year. I looked at the curriculum, and I did not see a specific biochem block, but I was wondering how in depth it is tested and when?

How important is biochemistry in the first year? I took Biochem over 5 yrs ago, and I am concerned about not having this knowledge as fresh as other students entering this year. I looked at the curriculum, and I did not see a specific biochem block, but I was wondering how in depth it is tested and when?
Dr. Barasch makes the first block (biochem) VERY welcoming to students coming from different backgrounds. He wants to get everyone on the same baseline before we start progressing into more gritty detailed stuff. I wouldn't stress too much about it!

Do you have any free time to hit the 24 hour gym they kept praising in the interview?

The Free Weight Club is nice because it's only 100$ extra for the year and you can use it any time you want. Great if you're a late night (like me) or early morning exerciser. It's also accessible over breaks/summer.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else hear back today? I know a lot of us are still in the unknown with Columbia

Got an acceptance email about an hour ago too, applied mid-September and interviewed 1/27/17. Congrats everyone else! Is there a Facebook page already?

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else hear back today? I know a lot of us are still in the unknown with Columbia

No :/ (I interviewed Dec 9th)
Like I mentioned before, not hearing anything in a batch is meaningless. Interviewers do not meed with the ADCOM consistently. Some take longer than others to meet up and give their preference on who should be accepted. Wishing you guys the best of luck, and I have a feeling you both are going to be fine

Reactions: 1 users
Got an acceptance email about an hour ago too, applied mid-September and interviewed 1/27/17. Congrats everyone else! Is there a Facebook page already?

yes pm me for link

Anyone know of any good sports bars near Columbia CDM to watch the Warriors v Clippers game tonight :D?

Like I mentioned before, not hearing anything in a batch is meaningless. Interviewers do not meed with the ADCOM consistently. Some take longer than others to meet up and give their preference on who should be accepted. Wishing you guys the best of luck, and I have a feeling you both are going to be fine

Hope that's true! I interviewed on 01/13/17. Still no response...

I want to apply for student loans to cover the cost of tuition - I am applying for 2 scholarship programs but don't want to hold my breath. Anyone start applying for loans? I filled out the FAFSA- but am at a complete loss of where to go from here. Anyone have info that could point me in the right direction? I've never had loans before so you'll have to speak to me as if I'm five :)

edit: found this (http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/LoanInfo.html) which has been very helpful, and recommend those who are in the same boat as me take a read. Now that I'm somewhat knowledgeable in the types of loans and what I may qualify for, anyone have experience with loan application? When is the right time to apply?

edit2: I will continue to update this with helpful links.
financial aid handbook: http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/pdf/16-17/DNHDBK1617.pdf
how to apply for loans: http://sfs.columbia.edu/financial-aid/private-loans#how_to_apply
Columbia recommended private banks: http://sfs.columbia.edu/files/sfs_new/content/pdf/15-16 Lender Chart-Domestic Grad as of 01.07.pdf

Last edited:
I want to apply for student loans to cover the cost of tuition - I am applying for 2 scholarship programs but don't want to hold my breath. Anyone start applying for loans? I filled out the FAFSA- but am at a complete loss of where to go from here. Anyone have info that could point me in the right direction? I've never had loans before so you'll have to speak to me as if I'm five :)
I spoke with financial aid yesterday. She said they were going to email out in early February (a few days I would say) a guide on financial aid for all the new acceptances

I'm looking through some of the financial aid info from 2016-17 and it says we need to submit an application on www.needaccess.org if we want consideration for institutional financial aid, but the link is dead for me. Anyone else having this problem?

It was an honor to be accepted here, but I declined my seat today. Good luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 2 users
UCLA! Go Bruins! The price difference is what really did it for me. Columbia is a wonderful school. If the price wasn't a factor, it would have been a difficult decision.
See you there! :highfive:

Was my top choice of places I had since been accepted, but wasn't sure about me in the City and cost of living. Honestly was a great school and a tough decision but I gave up my seat! Hope someone here gets it! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to all those who have been accepted! I've got a quick question for those who have been successful in getting in to Columbia. I'll be applying this cycle and I'm deciding which schools to apply to. Obviously Columbia is very prestigious and I'm just wondering "what it takes" to get in to a school like this? If people don't mind sharing, what do you think made you stand out from the other great applicants? If you're comfortable sharing your stats, feel free! Thanks!

Hi All! I interviewed at Columbia in early November and yet I still have not heard anything back. This means I'm pretty much out of the game right? Why would they take so long to either accept/reject me?

Congrats to all those who have been accepted! I've got a quick question for those who have been successful in getting in to Columbia. I'll be applying this cycle and I'm deciding which schools to apply to. Obviously Columbia is very prestigious and I'm just wondering "what it takes" to get in to a school like this? If people don't mind sharing, what do you think made you stand out from the other great applicants? If you're comfortable sharing your stats, feel free! Thanks!

I think it's about doing what you enjoy, and doing it really well. I think the school values those coming from unique places and having a lot of passion, although I guess that can be said about any school.
Edit: and the stats to go along with it, as you said. Stats arent everything though. DAT scores may get you an interview, but won't alone get you accepted.

Are interviews still being given our for Columbia? Is it worth sending an update email? :confused:

Hi All! I interviewed at Columbia in early November and yet I still have not heard anything back. This means I'm pretty much out of the game right? Why would they take so long to either accept/reject me?

It's the biggest mystery of the application cycle. I know so many who interviewed at Columbia that have heard absolutely nothing since their interview, including me. Why not just waitlist us at least? I don't get it.

Maybe they are waiting for the day (April 1st? I can't remember) where all applicants who have made multiple deposits must rescind their acceptance(s) at the schools they do not actually plan to attend. This gives schools a more accurate representation of how many more spots they have left in their class. Just a guess though :)

Maybe they are waiting for the day (April 1st? I can't remember) where all applicants who have made multiple deposits must rescind their acceptance(s) at the schools they do not actually plan to attend. This gives schools a more accurate representation of how many more spots they have left in their class. Just a guess though :)

Could be for sure. I just find it strange that they waitlist some people and just don't say anything to others. Weird.

Could be for sure. I just find it strange that they waitlist some people and just don't say anything to others. Weird.

I didn't realize that Columbia has waitlisted some people already.

I interviewed late October, and I haven't heard anything back at all.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

You know of people who were waitlisted?

You know of people who were waitlisted?

That's what a friend of mine told me. I've heard it around from people. Anyway, makes sense that people would have been waitlisted by now. I just don't know why they wait list some and just don't get back to others.

That's what a friend of mine told me. I've heard it around from people. Anyway, makes sense that people would have been waitlisted by now. I just don't know why they wait list some and just don't get back to others.
Well I don't think anyone has SDN has posted about a waitlist, but that could just be a coincidence.

Well I don't think anyone has SDN has posted about a waitlist, but that could just be a coincidence.

Not sure. Maybe they just haven't started doing waitlist yet this year. Who knows.