The Late Night Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had periodontal surgery yesterday. Despite ibuprofen and Vicodan it still hurts like a $%$&! Kind of feels like someone took a sledgehammer to my lower jaw. :(

Jump in a pool and not feel the h2o...that's some good stuff right der

Members don't see this ad.

It's actually better than I was expecting. All the residents and faculty are really nice and the grossness level is less than I anticipated.

That's good. It gives me hope that this rotation won't be so bad when I get to it in 3 years.

macsta said:
Jump in a pool and not feel the h2o...that's some good stuff right der.

It's not quite that good! :laugh:

xklusiveGuy said:
Just gimme my happy pills and Im okay..

picture.php

Members don't see this ad :)
Oxycontin is pretty awesome also. But, the next morning you go through withdrawals...that part sucks.

4:13 AM. Most people are asleep but am I? Nope. Watching Dr. Who, writing out essay prompts and lurking on school specific forums.

Typical. :p

Sleep is for the weak! :sleep:

Truth. Pulling an all-nighter today just for the hell of it - going to be up early, call UMD to talk about getting my credits transferred over, go to work for a couple of hours, do the shopping, work on the script for the play I'm directing next semester, all on that "high" you get when you haven't slept in 24+ hours.

Truth. Pulling an all-nighter today just for the hell of it - going to be up early, call UMD to talk about getting my credits transferred over, go to work for a couple of hours, do the shopping, work on the script for the play I'm directing next semester, all on that "high" you get when you haven't slept in 24+ hours.

Haha, sometimes said high feels even better than actual sleep. Have experienced this.far too often, but there were days where I only had three or so hours of sleep, woke up and felt amazing. I guess your mind just goes in that "**** it" mindset or something. On the other hand there have been weekends where I slept for 12 or so hours and felt like ****. Eyes tired, mind foggy and overall not so great mood.

I realized about this back in high school and sometimes purposely would stay up till 3 in the morning just so I could get that feeling of having a mere three hours of sleep. It felt amazing! Just would nwed a strong cup of coffee and the day was golden. Was more attentive, social, etc. all things I would have thought actually would benefit more from more sleep, but apparently it did not.

The human mind is just messed up. Too much sleep you feel like crap, too little and you are in a mental state of natural high.

Haha, sometimes said high feels even better than actual sleep. Have experienced this.far too often, but there were days where I only had three or so hours of sleep, woke up and felt amazing. I guess your mind just goes in that "**** it" mindset or something. On the other hand there have been weekends where I slept for 12 or so hours and felt like ****. Eyes tired, mind foggy and overall not so great mood.

I realized about this back in high school and sometimes purposely would stay up till 3 in the morning just so I could get that feeling of having a mere three hours of sleep. It felt amazing! Just would nwed a strong cup of coffee and the day was golden. Was more attentive, social, etc. all things I would have thought actually would benefit more from more sleep, but apparently it did not.

The human mind is just messed up. Too much sleep you feel like crap, too little and you are in a mental state of natural high.

Want to know something neat? Some docs actually prescribe staying up 24+ hours for people with treatment-resistant depression, because it can snap people out of suicidal ideation for a little while, remind them of what it feels like to be mentally well. Obviously you don't want to overdo it (could induce mania in someone who was bipolar, lol!) but I still think it's super-neat. I wonder what it is about the brain that causes that natural high??

Members don't see this ad :)
Caffeine or sleep? I have only have one can of Rockstar 2x, which is 250mg caffeine, which is okay, not as strong as energy shots with the obscene amount of Vitamin B12's.

Caffeine or sleep? I have only have one can of Rockstar 2x, which is 250mg caffeine, which is okay, not as strong as energy shots with the obscene amount of Vitamin B12's.

rockstar is strong..and i get shaky. Idk how ppl drink that, also the after taste is horrible.

Monster is the way to go. Monster-low carb is my fav.

I just got done drinking a monster java, but I should be heading to sleep, idk why I'm staying up gotta wake up at 5 ;/

rockstar is strong..and i get shaky. Idk how ppl drink that, also the after taste is horrible.

I just got done drinking a monster java, but i should be heading to sleep, idk why i'm staying up gotta wake up at 5 ;/

story of my life :hungover:

I just got done drinking a monster java, but I should be heading to sleep, idk why I'm staying up gotta wake up at 5 ;/

I am not a fan of regular energy drinks, the only reason I like that rockstar one iis because of the caffeine, so in that case the flavor is tolerable. Nowadays I just stick with stuff like 5-hour and spike doubleshot, less liquid but more adrenaline and the price is somewhat the same. Depending on the time of the semester I sometimes play around with the amounts and go for something more over extended amount of hours.

I think the most I topped at was 1.3 grams of caffeine, no-doz, and on top of that unknown amount of b12, but that was over 10 hours in the library, the gradual intake helped but still was very rough initially for the first hour or so, and from there it was smooth sailing into the morning hours.

Haha, college will kill me by the time I graduate. :-|

I am Jo a fan of regular energy drinks, the only reason I like that rockstar one iis because of the caffeine, so in that case the flavor is tolerable. Nowadays I just stick with stuff like 5-hour and spike doubleshot, less liquid but more adrenaline and the price is somewhat the same. Depending on the time of the semester I sometimes play around with the amounts and go for something more over extended amount of hours.

I think the most I topped at was 1.3 grams of caffeine, no-doz, and on top of that unknown amount of b12, but that was over 10 hours in the library, the gradual intake helped but still was very rough initially for the first hour or so, and from there it was smooth sailing into the morning hours.

Haha, college will kill me by the time I graduate. :-|

Def feel you on that, and it's not gonna get any better once you get to med school and def during rotations, residency... lol

Idk i feel like my caffeine tolerance is getting high because I've been drinking monster consistently, like it'll make me feel energetic etc for a few mins then i can doze off whenever i want :laugh:

I have now officially spent 1300 bucks.

God med school is expensive and I'm not even there yet!

holy sh**! that's not including some secondaries right?

I see your applying to a lot of schools, hopefully you do well this cycle, looks like you will be fine. Good luck!

I spent $7K in the two years before I got an acceptance letter. Gonna be paying off that plus interest for a long time. :( Also, StephBee, in my first app cycle I applied to 31 schools. It was tons of money and tons of time and work. Hang in there and good luck!

I spent $7K in the two years before I got an acceptance letter. Gonna be paying off that plus interest for a long time. :( Also, StephBee, in my first app cycle I applied to 31 schools. It was tons of money and tons of time and work. Hang in there and good luck!

$7,000 that's crazyy, but I guess you gotta do what it takes

Yep 36 schools, 1313 bucks I believe. In total, assuming I get screened in at all schools, it's like 4,250 just in app fees. Plus traveling for interview etc.

Last year, I applied to 25 I believe. Total expenses was like 5 grand. The only upside is that since i graduated a semester early and saved my parents 30K, they're helping with fees but all traveling is on me.

Now, lets watch those secondaries roll in. :p

craig ferguson > jimmy fallon > conan obrien > george lopez > jimmy kimmel > david letterman > jay leno

Wait whattttt?! Did you just go completely top heavy? How does that happen?!?!?

MaenadsDance said:
Want to know something neat? Some docs actually prescribe staying up 24+ hours for people with treatment-resistant depression, because it can snap people out of suicidal ideation for a little while, remind them of what it feels like to be mentally well. Obviously you don't want to overdo it (could induce mania in someone who was bipolar, lol!) but I still think it's super-neat. I wonder what it is about the brain that causes that natural high??

MaenadsDance,
According to my psychiatry text (I had to buy required books already before school starts) sleep deprivation causes increased plasma norepinephrine so that would explain the "high" we are talking about. It also decreases thyroxine, though, which seems like it would tone down the high, but I don't know anything yet.

It was kind of funny because I just got this book in the mail today and was flipping through it and this kind of jumped off the page at me. :laugh:

Etorphine said:
Wait whattttt?! Did you just go completely top heavy? How does that happen?!?!?

Well, I had several weak areas, not sure which one(s) did me in:

-late app (due to horrible MCAT at first attempt in March, retaking in August meant my apps weren't complete until late September)
- weak MCAT
- low science GPA
- no recent coursework (was taking Biochem to fix this when I applied but that was in progress at time of app
-most pre reqs from CC

I am an uber nontrad and I don't have traditional shadowing/volunteer experience but I do have 16 years of work experience in psych. Maybe adcoms didn't like that it wasn't more medical? I have worked in clinical psychiatric research for 10 years but maybe adcoms want to see bench research? I also didn't have LORs from science class instructors, just my boss and my PIs (who are MDs).

Anyway, I did have about 6-7 schools in my list that were ridiculous reaches but I applied broadly. I underestimated how difficult this process was.

Hi, there, berriesandcream. I remember you! Dr Yoda started his rotations, everyone on this thread can't sleep and is hopped up on caffeine, and I am recovering from (painful) periodontal surgery. :laugh:
hey helen! it was fun reading about your app processes! haha oh wow, same 'ol i see. I want to sleep, but retake of my MCAT is in progress :(

hey helen! it was fun reading about your app processes! haha oh wow, same 'ol i see. I want to sleep, but retake of my MCAT is in progress :(

I really struggled with the MCAT. A lot of it was because I hadn't had any of the coursework in over six years (yep, you read that right) so I had to learn everything all over again. Plus, it is a simply a tough test so it was a major hurdle for me. I was able to bring my score up five points when I retook. Good luck on your retake. :luck:

I really struggled with the MCAT. A lot of it was because I hadn't had any of the coursework in over six years (yep, you read that right) so I had to learn everything all over again. Plus, it is a simply a tough test so it was a major hurdle for me. I was able to bring my score up five points when I retook. Good luck on your retake. :luck:
I think my problem is simply test taking. I'm a poor test taker :( But i'll need way more than a 5 point increase but hey, you're still in med school; all that matters! haha thank! small hurtle i need to jump over :(

It's 1:30 here. Yay for Mountain Time. :D

Edit: YAY TOP! Do people care about top in the late night thread? Well I do. If I can't get it in the class thread, I'll get it here. And yes, that is what she said.