PI LoR will be late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xNinjaBurrito1

Reaction score
Hi again everyone,

So I've been prepping my application materials to hopefully submit everything Day 1, but i just heard from my PI that her LoR won't be finished until late June or early July. I am fairly confident that I need this letter, and I don't have a substitute. I believe this leaves me with two options, which I will leave below. Please let me know which option you think would be best, or let me know if I missed a third option.

1. I submit my primary Day 1 to a single, throw away school to get my primary queued for processing, and then add the other schools once the letter has been uploaded. I believe processing takes about two weeks, meaning my app would be 2-4 weeks "late".

2. I submit my primary Day 1 to all schools on my list accompanied by the minimum 3 letters, and then plan to upload the PI letter before submitting any secondary applications. To my knowledge, no school would read my letters until after the secondary fee is paid anyway, and secondaries roll out July/August.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Hi again everyone,

So I've been prepping my application materials to hopefully submit everything Day 1, but i just heard from my PI that her LoR won't be finished until late June or early July. I am fairly confident that I need this letter, and I don't have a substitute. I believe this leaves me with two options, which I will leave below. Please let me know which option you think would be best, or let me know if I missed a third option.

1. I submit my primary Day 1 to a single, throw away school to get my primary queued for processing, and then add the other schools once the letter has been uploaded. I believe processing takes about two weeks, meaning my app would be 2-4 weeks "late".

2. I submit my primary Day 1 to all schools on my list accompanied by the minimum 3 letters, and then plan to upload the PI letter before submitting any secondary applications. To my knowledge, no school would read my letters until after the secondary fee is paid anyway, and secondaries roll out July/August.

What should I do?
Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS

That's not late for LORs.

Also, it's okay to submit your application on Day 2. We warn everyone who rushes to hit the deadline that they understand they can't change their PS or W/A descriptions once they push "send." We get a ton of people who freak out by having copy/pasted the wrong PS draft or MME description and can't change it.

Read (if applicable)

I just want to emphasize that this isn't late for a LOR. I usually time it out to get my letters in by end of July / early August.

You don't need your letters in with your primaries.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS

That's not late for LORs.

Also, it's okay to submit your application on Day 2. We warn everyone who rushes to hit the deadline that they understand they can't change their PS or W/A descriptions once they push "send." We get a ton of people who freak out by having copy/pasted the wrong PS draft or MME description and can't change it.

Read (if applicable)

Okay that’s a relief! I’m hoping to have my primary ready to go within the first week, but I will definitely be proof reading ad nauseum before pulling the trigger. One question: should I plan to submit the primary as soon as possible, but hold on to the secondaries until all letters are ready? I don’t want people to assess my app until I have the PI letter in.

Yeah, when I applied I thought september'ish was when they should be in by. So as one mentioned, august should be fine. Generally speaking, I don't think an adcom will block on interviewing you pending a PI letter.