Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

I saw some more people were having trouble ordering their Dell Laptops as well. I tried ordering mine back about spring break time (~March 15) and it failed, tried it again, got another e-mail saying it couldn't be processed -- something to do with "(my) bank halting the transaction."

After calling my bank and finding out this was actually not the case, I just went ahead and called in the order over the phone, got it in less than 10 days. I just moved to Amarillo now, so I'm planning on taking it up to the IT desk soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I saw some more people were having trouble ordering their Dell Laptops as well. I tried ordering mine back about spring break time (~March 15) and it failed, tried it again, got another e-mail saying it couldn't be processed -- something to do with "(my) bank halting the transaction."

After calling my bank and finding out this was actually not the case, I just went ahead and called in the order over the phone, got it in less than 10 days. I just moved to Amarillo now, so I'm planning on taking it up to the IT desk soon.

The second time I attempted to order the laptop, I finally got it right!

I changed the billing address from the school's IT dept. to mine before submitting my order. I left their shipping address the same.

Hope this helps.

:luck:

The second time I attempted to order the laptop, I finally got it right!

I changed the billing address from the school's IT dept. to mine before submitting my order. I left their shipping address the same.

Hope this helps.

:luck:

You were able to? Whenever I was ordering it back in March, the shipping address was grayed out and wasn't able to be modified. Perhaps this was modified since.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got approved for DOVE PARK apts.

They seem nice and accept pets. The surrounding neighborhood looks nice too. They are VERY low in price for the area. Their reviews online are encouraging as well.

That's where I'm going too. I've sent in my application fee and security deposit so that way I can be on their waiting list for an apartment in late July. It was either Dove Park or Newport but after reading the reviews online, I decided to go with Dove Park. When are you moving there?

Hey Zeke, where are you living? I'm sure you'll be bored stiff soon, we'll have to let you know when we're doing something, we'll get you out of your apartment

Thanks Jbuprepharm, Pharmcat, and mbishop for all the apartment advise. For the most popular apartments, do you think it would be too late if I asked for a 1-BR in early July? B/c I can't move in till Aug 1, and it would suck to pay for July's rent when I have not moved in yet (due to the policy of being able to hold for only 30 days). Thanks a bunch!

I would contact the apartments now, and just bite the bullet and pay an extra month's rent if necessary. Apartments will be hard to come by the closer you get to august

Hey Zeke, where are you living? I'm sure you'll be bored stiff soon, we'll have to let you know when we're doing something, we'll get you out of your apartment

his wife bakes

his wife bakes

Well that's a plus :laugh:. My girlfriend does as well, sometimes... =)

I'm living over @ Stonegate apartments off of I-27/Bell, but I'll be living there full time in a couple weeks. I've still got a guaranteed 40 hours per week in the meantime, so I haven't moved to A-Town full-time yet.

I would contact the apartments now, and just bite the bullet and pay an extra month's rent if necessary. Apartments will be hard to come by the closer you get to august

Unfortunately for me, that's what I ended up having to do... That blanket 30 day move-out notice policy amongst Amarillo apartment complexes really put me in a bind since I'd already give my 60 day notice to the old place.

Well that's a plus :laugh:. My girlfriend does as well, sometimes... =)

I'm living over @ Stonegate apartments off of I-27/Bell, but I'll be living there full time in a couple weeks. I've still got a guaranteed 40 hours per week in the meantime, so I haven't moved to A-Town full-time yet.

Gotcha, well let us know when you get here

A reminder to anyone that's not current on their TB screening, or needs to remain compliant, make sure you're getting them done... I got pricked on the forearm yesterday, so don't forget to get it done!

Question on the Vehicle Registration Form....Do I need to pay for a 9 Month Fee or 12 Month Parking card?

Thanks!

Question on the Vehicle Registration Form....Do I need to pay for a 9 Month Fee or 12 Month Parking card?

Thanks!

9 months, unless you plan on doing research or something at the pharmacy building. after finals, you'll be out of there and over to happy hour before you know it.

speaking of which, i hope they e-mail us about ours sometime.

Members don't see this ad :)
9 months, unless you plan on doing research or something at the pharmacy building. after finals, you'll be out of there and over to happy hour before you know it.

speaking of which, i hope they e-mail us about ours sometime.

When does school let out in May anyways?

was it winchester or remington(or both) that used to be a nursing home?

was it winchester or remington(or both) that used to be a nursing home?

neither, winchester was built about 3 years ago now and remington is now going to be 2 years old or so. they are the same apartment complex in overall design with some little differences.

you can check them out here:
winchester
remington

oh, I guess I heard wrong then. Thanks

Do any of you know anything about Summit Park apartments? I won't be able to go see the rooms and stuff, so the people just gave me the website. I saw that it had a nice rating.

I'm also having trouble with payment, I keep getting some kind of error. Am I the only one who gets this?

Thanks

I think Summit Park is the place that mostly older people stay at. I am sure you would have quiet neighbors though. :)

it actually looks like it's kind of far away, but I'll see when I go up there this week to look for apartments.

But the lady said that there were 2 rooms opening up in july on the 2nd and 4th floors and that she could hold it for 30 days, which is perfect because I think that means I wouldn't have to pay for july. By the way, where are all the grocery stores and fast food places?

i went apt hunting on monday, the only day i had available and i leased at Newport. the grounds look great and the rent is not too bad (740 sq. foot for $582) that was the only 1BR open in July at the time. summit park looks to me like a big resident hall, and i lived in resident halls for my entire undergrad (4.5 years) and i was looking for a place where i can open the door and be outside, plus summit park has 5 floors and could be a hassle to move into, but the grounds look nice. red oak ranch was nice and they had a 1st floor 720 1BR open, but its the furthest from the school (of the apts. that i saw). huntington point, renassiance & quail creek are the closest ones i think. but i really liked newport apts so i took those.

Any fun elements to boot camp or is it just as the name describes?

Also,

Do they want us to send our final transcripts for non-prerequisite courses, and if so to what address? Should we just bring them to boot camp?

Hello, I just received my acceptance letter yesterday. A verryyy long wait. I wanted some help in picking out an apartment in amarillo. Is there a roomlist that i can look at?

Could someone help me with what to do next after accepting the offer. thanks

i think you just send back your signed acceptance letter and just await emails about what to do next. i just finished registering for classes and there is an apt. list that i have (and i think was given out to the interview-ees) and i have that file electronically, i can email it to you if you want and other than that i think just be up to date on your immunizations. i got accepted early march so im just sloooowwwlly waiting to get started w/ school.

thanks for the advice. I do have the list but its which one to choose. Which apts are you planning to live in. And how do I register for classes, and which ones..I do have e-raider account.

im going to be living at Newport and as far as which classes to register for, sharon harrison will send you an email with microsoft word attachments telling you exactly what classes to sign up for (the call numbers and everything) so there is no worries there. the link to look up your student account is called techsis and here is the link: as for the apts, i made a post about what i observed when i looked in the area a few posts up.

http://techsis.admin.ttu.edu/student/

im going to be living at Newport and as far as which classes to register for, sharon harrison will send you an email with microsoft word attachments telling you exactly what classes to sign up for (the call numbers and everything) so there is no worries there. the link to look up your student account is called techsis and here is the link: as for the apts, i made a post about what i observed when i looked in the area a few posts up.

http://techsis.admin.ttu.edu/student/

Thanks a bunch, so which are the best and affordable apts to live in.

newport was full when I got there. They said they only had 1 room left and it may not be ready in time for the start of school. Huntington Pointe had at least 1 room left, and Winchester had 3.

if i were you i would take a look around town and see what you like. i did not think that i would have time to apt. hunt this summer, so i was just going to call for applications and look at the complexes online. but then i had 1 day to look and the places i was thinking about i had 2nd thoughts on.

Definitely go in advance. I'm glad that I did, I got pretty much just what I wanted.

hmm, does it say anywhere where to mail the student payment agreement form?

hmm, does it say anywhere where to mail the student payment agreement form?

Hello. I called the Bursar's phone number listed under the Current Student Tab in the TTUHSC SOP website.

The zip code is different. I don't have it on me right now, but I can send it to you later. Otherwise, just give them a call (include the extension).

Thanks a bunch, so which are the best and affordable apts to live in.

Hello and congratulations! If you like affordable and have a pet, Dove Park Apts are fine and are in a decent, quiet neighborhood. I just moved into a one bedroom. They are cheaper than Wind Tree apts and they are just south of them, down the street from a Wells Fargo Bank.

Check them out on Move.com.

to all the P1 such as myself, when are you planning on making the move to amarillo..? ill be there july 20-ish and was wondering if anyone was moving in early as well.

Do we really need to buy the book recommended for this class (Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level)? I was just wondering, since it was only "recommended", if we will be using the book a lot or not, or if it's gonna be crucial to have for exams in that class or not?

here are the only books i ever used in P1 year:

1st semester:
Immunology ALL THE TIME
Biochem a few times
Anatomy atlas (netter/gray/my cool photo atlas) lots of times
Martini Anatomy for each gross lab
DDS little calculations book (ours was red)
PCS book (borrow someone elses if you don't want to buy it)
i don't remember using the DIC book (maybe borrow someone elses)

2nd semester:
Guyton Physiology book
DDS2 lab book
non-prescription handbook (i didn't use it much, but its a good reference forever)
nothing for DDS2
nothing for clinlit

i think that's all, if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to interject

here are the only books i ever used in P1 year:

1st semester:
Immunology ALL THE TIME
Biochem a few times
Anatomy atlas (netter/gray/my cool photo atlas) lots of times
Martini Anatomy for each gross lab
DDS little calculations book (ours was red)
PCS book (borrow someone elses if you don't want to buy it)
i don't remember using the DIC book (maybe borrow someone elses)

2nd semester:
Guyton Physiology book
DDS2 lab book
non-prescription handbook (i didn't use it much, but its a good reference forever)
nothing for DDS2
nothing for clinlit

i think that's all, if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to interject

I would agree with those except biochem. you'll only ever use it as a reference, so if you have a biochem book already.... or the internet, I wouldn't waste the money

lolwut.jpg

I'm moving July 28. Do we need internet access for class? If so, how fast of a connection do we need (DSL or dial up?) Thanks!ll

I would say DSL/Cable 1.5 megs minimum (3 megs minimum would be preferable)

so to answer your question, yes, you will need internet, and dial-up will not cut it

I believe SBC's 1.5 is 19.99 a month(at least around here it is).
And if you don't already have a phone line they provide you with a line that you can't make calls on but can use the internet with for a reduced price of 7.00 I think.

So I think internet will be 27.00

Not sure though.

I believe SBC's 1.5 is 19.99 a month(at least around here it is).
And if you don't already have a phone line they provide you with a line that you can't make calls on but can use the internet with for a reduced price of 7.00 I think.

So I think internet will be 27.00

Not sure though.

yeah, the 3 meg is like 24.99 plus 7 bucks for the metered line which gives you 25 outgoing calls a month (and of course, unlimited incoming calls)

I would strongly recommend the 3 meg, especially since your class will be doing more video lectures than ours

some of the apartments use only cable internet (suddenlink), so you'll be shelling out the $39 regardless.

yeah, the 3 meg is like 24.99 plus 7 bucks for the metered line which gives you 25 outgoing calls a month (and of course, unlimited incoming calls)

I would strongly recommend the 3 meg, especially since your class will be doing more video lectures than ours

oh yeah, ours is 14.99 for 1.5 mbps. How will those video lectures work? Are they streamed or do you download them?

The only one I remember having the suddenlink was winchester. I don't think Huntington Pointe has internet.

I'm living @ Stonegate now. I'm stuck with 1.5 Megabit Ama TechTel DSL (only thing I could get here). I was awfully used to the multiple T-3 lines I had @ my old job, and now that I'm limited to approximately 187KB/s, it's quite a difference!

Unfortunately, I'm actually getting closer to 1.35 - 1.4 Megabit. It's $35/month + tax (comes out to about $40 a month). I'm not too worried about the connection speed just yet because I can't image the video lectures being streamed at more than 512 Kilobit or 1.024 Megabit. Does anyone know for sure?

If it's going to be that much of a problem, I might have to try and explore other alternatives, or just stay late and use the campus' wireless network.

you'll be using the building's wired network lotttttttssssssssss if you study at school. the wireless network is horrible, and should only be used if you don't have your cord (go get your cord) or if you're in the lounge.

I'm not so sure there's going to be lots and lots of live streaming classes ever so you needn't worry about having a T3 or better to watch classes live.

you'll be using the building's wired network lotttttttssssssssss if you study at school. the wireless network is horrible, and should only be used if you don't have your cord (go get your cord) or if you're in the lounge.

I'm not so sure there's going to be lots and lots of live streaming classes ever so you needn't worry about having a T3 or better to watch classes live.

Well that's a bummer. The wireless network at my old campus worked pretty well. But I'm not an Apple zombie that's afraid of a cord or two =).

And I'm glad to hear that classes won't be streamed at blu-ray/HD-DVD quality to where I'd need a T-3 for them =).

they thought about releasing classes on bluray media, but then they realized that only 3 people on planet earth have a ps3 (me, tim, some japanese guy)